Guildskills

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Should we remove the concept of guildskills from the game and open all skills to all players?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:11 pm

Yes
38%
No
38%
Maybe - answer qualified below
25%

Total votes: 8
Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:11 pm

A poll to determine how players feel about the concept of guildskills.

Estelle

Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:05 am

No. It wouldn't make IC sense. Especially for a non-mage to know Eld, a non-Brotherhood member to know tcant, etc. It would be different if they had RPed and were taught such ICly, but people having them from chargen is just implausible.

Perhaps the removal of some, but letting each guild keep 1-2 would be more plausible.

Callista

Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:40 pm

As Estelle said, some make no sense (i.e. tcant). Others, maybe, but I think they'd be easier to learn in a guild surrounded by such. For example, maybe its not required to be a troubadour to learn performing skills, but it takes twice the cost?

I do think that guildskills add to the richness of joining a guild and should not be removed across the board.

Jei

Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:05 am

I really, really dislike the concept of guildskills and I always have, for a number of reasons.

However, the main thing to me is that if there's a skill out there that makes sense for a normal person to be able to pick up, then it shouldn't be a guild skill.

Eld, Daravi(arguably?), tcant, any skills mages have(unless their a mage and not in the manus, then it's fine), etc. shouldn't be learnable outside their guilds.

But like.. sing? Sword? Swinging a sword is not a mystical technique that requires a teacher, IMO. Instruments, most/all trade skills and so on and so forth should be allowed.

I think the reason guildskills being a concept was important on other TI was because with inspiration you could increase these skills easily with no effort, really. But since we're at LBU now, you have to actually either find a teacher or do the skill, which makes them much more manageable and thus I feel like the greater percentage of guild skills should be removed.

Amdair

Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:27 am

I pretty much agree with Jei. Some skills deserve to remain guild only, but the greater majority can be picked up somehow, and if someone is using them without guild membership, it's an IC factor that the guild and the law to deal with.

I can think of a few skills I'd like to see added, and I think every guild could maintain a single guild skill, with a bit of planning, but most of the current cases like sword, singing and daravi are things that could, arguably, be picked up- just not encouraged, without the right background.

Zeita

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:34 pm

I'm in agreement with getting rid of guildskills, with the exception of tcant and limiting Daravi and Eld (for non mages) to QP purchase only (since the former is heretical and the latter is.. well, I don't know wtf it is IC.) As a game, I'm not keen on limiting skills, although I see that as an IC world, we have a culture that limits and controls information. Still, happy to open them up, and let the IC world deal with the conseuqnces through RP.

Sword - nobles and knights with a problem can take it to the Reeves.
Troub skills - anyone earning money from performing, the Troubs can take it to the Reeves.
Merchant skills - the merchants have a command to cut people off from the in game trade system.
Physician skills - Same as troubs, I'd say. I think Physicians could be quite protective of their skills.
Thieves - Thieves are a guild, and they should probably be bringing unaffiliated thieves under their banner or making sure they never work again.
I don't think the other guilds have protected skills, but there may be a few more.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:40 pm

The thing about taking it to the Reeves is that there'd have to be some sort of protectivist law in place for that to happen, and to my knowledge, there isn't. From my experience, people treat laws as more inviolate than code (never really see people willing to break sumptuary, for example). At least as guildskills, you CAN learn them and use them without rancor provided you've paid more and gone through some difficulty to get them.

Amdair

Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:51 am

Sword is protected rather extensively in the law, and all crown guilds are granted some measure of trade protection, which is the incentive to register under the crown and through the law -anyways-, including creating a charter and the like. If their particular skills aren't covered in their charter, and what restrictions non-members might face, then that's something they should seek to alter ICly, I would think.

Zeita

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:15 am

To my knowledge, the Merchants, Troubs & Physicians - These are the actual guild guilds that would have the sort of protective charter that Amdair is talking about.
Nobles, Reeves, Order, Knights & Scholars - Not even guilds as such, but certainly Crown sponsored organisations that have their rights organised and recognised. (Scholars could fall in either of the above two categories, tbh)
Coverts - They're covert, and by that are outside of being recognised by law.
Mercenaries is the only other one, and they don't have any sort of formal crown recognition. (From what I was told when we were starting was that they were 'new' ICly, unlike the other guilds that have long-established IC histories.) As they don't have a guildskill to my knowledge, that is somewhat moot for this discussion anyway, although they equally don't have exclusive rights to 'mercenary-like activities' at this stage.

• Information