BDSM aka getting spanked by religion

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

wimple

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:30 am

I wanted to split this up from the previous post.

What kind of punishments should the Church be giving?

I'd like to be more creative than merely 'burn' and 'brand'. There's flogging, of course, and being forced in stocks what have you. Any ideas for creative sorts of IC punishments would be appreciated. Rather than just BURN BABY BURN I'd like to see some options that leave players around afterwards for resulting RP.

Also, any ideas for creative penances? I've worked hard on these from confessions, normally making people take certain actions or do certain volunteer work. But a log of ideas hear would certainly be helpful for future clergy characters.

Dice

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:22 pm

There definitely need to be some lower-level punishments, I think. Branding/flogging is super serious stuff.

I like the idea of humiliation-based punishments - i.e., where you have to stand around and tell everyone who asks what you did. I suppose that somewhat overlaps with the stocks.

Requiring fines for some small sins might be an IC way for the church to make money - your call on if you feel the Church would do that!

Some sins could perhaps require behavioral penances - i.e., if you sinned while drunk, no more drinking. Could use fasting, hours of required prayers, blah blah.

Volunteering penances sound AWESOME and are probably my favorite idea. Go work with the orphans, etc. You could also charge people who have sinned to do things like sit around in taverns looking for other people being sinful - something like you mentioned in the other thread, but using non-priests as well.

I'm not sure I'm contributing much new here, but I thought I'd go ahead and blab every thought I had in case one of 'em was useful.

wimple

Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:08 pm

I've given penances that require people not to talk to other people, to go silent if they find themselves beginning to quarrel, to help out at the hospital or other location for a certain amount of time, etc. I don't know how those actually work out in practice, because I'm not actually involved in that part of the RP.

Perhaps humiliation based ones could be ala the scarlet letter? i.e. have the church create certain clothing that must be worn, that signal a person has done something they are taking punishment for... that way people know to eye them or to ask what it is they've done. This would also give warning to other tavern goers if, for instance, the people were tasked with keeping tabs on what sort of sinning other people are getting into...

Sound good?

Dice

Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:55 pm

I really like the scarlet letter idea for lesser sins. Though you might not want it on Churchy spies... or people will behave too well around them. ;)

wimple

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:26 pm

Well, yeah for the spies.

I'm thinking throwing a mob into the cathedral to sell items (sinner's vestments with different sinner's patches) and candles and things like that for people to play with might be a good option.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:55 pm

I think a horsehair shirt (except the Charali might ENJOY that...) would be hilarious - and itchy! Also, purchasing prayers for silver would highlight the greedy side...

Also, forcing a person to cut their hair (loose morals!) would be very in-line with the Lithmorran help file on chastity and so forth (since women either cover or wear their hair up unless they're prostitutes, and men probably generally grow their hair longer as well).

Oh, maybe painting a brand-like chalice in soot on their forehead for a few days? That's reminiscent of burning, but also non-permanent.

Also related: Punishments: How creative are you?

wimple

Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:28 pm

I like the sooted chalice forehead, although that might just work for someone who is faithful or getting a blessing or doing a fast or something. The punishments list and idea of cutting hair for women is also totally awesome (or possibly facial hair for men - grow it or cut it). Keep it coming!

And LOL at the horse hair shirt!

Geras

Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:49 pm

This thread does not live up to the promise of its title.

• Information