Some Suggestions for Balance Changes

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Geras

Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:49 pm

The genesis of this is some chatting around the some comments on Reddit and came up with a few ideas.

I think a root problem we have in this game is the imbalance between established players and new players in terms of power and difficulty. I don't think that's anyone's fault, per se, but rather a consequence of a game lasting longer than it was really designed for, with players (like myself) accumulating 1 mil + XP.

So the general idea behind these suggest changes is just this: to make XP differences less impactful.

Suggestion 1:

Everyone gets a free level 2 asset. No matter what. Returning player with no assets? Here's a free asset. New player? Here's a free asset. Not 100% sure on the current situation but if this isn't already the case it should be. Help new players get financially established with these assets.

Suggestion 2:

Flatten the damage curve for skills. So if the range right now is 0-75, make it more like 25-75 or 37.5-75. Or maybe give double credit for the first 20 ranks, half credit for the last 55.

Suggestion 3:

Make weapon quality less impactful. So if the damage gap between iron and steel is X, make it X/2. Same for damascus.

Suggestion 4:

Make armour type/quality less impactful. Similar to above, maybe give people a bit of "base" armour to compensate and then go from there.

Suggestion 5:

Make stats less impactful. Again, similar to above. Maybe up to 70 they have the same impact and then from 70-100 you only get half credit except for rolls.

Suggestion 6:

Add more risk to mage interactions, for both parties.

For example, if you have a certain protective spell, give it a 90% chance of absorbing the attack without putting you into combat, an 8% chance of failing to absorb the attack, plunging you into combat, and a 2% chance of reflecting the attack. Ouch! So you can pelt a mage with arrows to take them down, even behind their spells.

So maybe even stronger combat spells, but spells that risk backfiring or failing entirely, with maybe Wis and Cha playing a role?

Thoughts?

• Information