Color Suggestions 46 color mode

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Temi

Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:22 am

Yeah, hence the approximations.

Taunya

Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:08 am

I was just thinking it might be better not to consider across the two systems at all, and think of them as independent.

Gattara

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:12 am

Temi wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:46 pm
So, from my previous poking at it, I think the standard 16 colors are approximately:

r - daa R - faa c - add C - aff g - ada G - afa y - dda Y - ffa b - aad B - aaf w - ddd W - fff m - dad M - faf

Though of course they work differently.

From poking at it, I'd say, ones that aren't necessarily ideal:

G & E are very close
T & B are a bit close as well
e might be too dark

For G and E, G will stay the same, so maybe shift E a little bit further - like cfc? Or dfd? There's already lime which is a little yellower, and jade which is a little bluer for the greens.

For T & B, the B will stay the same. I think the T could be a little greener if it is supposed to be teal, but not just the same as cyan. Maybe adf?

For e... I don't know if we can do too much. aca may be too close to g. And could have some useful cases. Again, don't need a yellower or bluer one.

I love the new colors - I want to give a HUGE thank you to those that worked on this!

Using MUSHClient, the following colors are extremely similar to one another: silver and dark gray, bright green and bright jade, dark blue and navy (these two look exactly the same), and white and bright silver.

I'd love to see a red color in a shade between the two we have, or maybe a red-purple. Maybe cab?
I think t/T could be a shade lighter or greener, as Temi suggested.

Eos
Discord Handle: Eos#5637

Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:43 pm

So, starstarfishs helpfile suggestion gave me the idea of grouping similar colors together for readability.
Which gave me the idea of using a color wheel to make a whole new coloring scheme.
I divided one into six fields and made color codes for each of those fields, plus one for browns.

The names of the color codes are ignored, since it's too high a restriction.

My goals here were as follows:
  • Even spread of colors
  • No quasi duplicate colors
  • Some room just for brown
So here's the spread:

Red
  • fac + dac
  • fca + cab
Yellow
  • ffd + fea
  • fec + edc
Green
  • bfd+ bcc
  • dfa + cdb
  • aba
Cyan
  • add + abc
  • adf + bdd
Purple/Blue
  • cce
  • caf + bac
Purple/Pink
  • dae - cad
  • fdd - dcc

Brown
  • cba + dca
  • eda + baa
I'll post a screenshot after I tested it.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:29 pm

IMHO given the existence/use of bronze in jewelry, etc we definitely need some options for orange as well. (Also pumpkins or carrots!)

Just as a thought, if we expand to using numbers as well as letters we could probably get a bit closer to the spread in the pic I posted and I think we'd have a pretty good spread.

Eos

Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:41 pm

Ok, fiddled with it all day. Here's the results:

{e - cab, {E fac, {f dba, {F fca, {h fea, {H ffd, {j aba, {J bfd, {k dcc, {K fdd, {l bcb, {L dfa, {n abc, {N adf, {o cce, {O add, {q bac, {Q cae, {t cbc, {T dae, {v dca, {V cba

Unassigned colors are: {i, {I, {p, {P, {u, {U - please make suggestions as to how to fill them, because I don't know and if I don't have to pick colors for the next 10 years, that's too soon. :D

This is what they look like in MUDlet:

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:42 pm

Eos wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:41 pm
Ok, fiddled with it all day. Here's the results:

{e - cab, {E fac, {f dba, {F fca, {h fea, {H ffd, {j aba, {J bfd, {k dcc, {K fdd, {l bcb, {L dfa, {n abc, {N adf, {o cce, {O add, {q bac, {Q cae, {t cbc, {T dae, {v dca, {V cba

Unassigned colors are: {i, {I, {p, {P, {u, {U - please make suggestions as to how to fill them, because I don't know and if I don't have to pick colors for the next 10 years, that's too soon. :D

This is what they look like in MUDlet:

It appears that the ones that are supposed to be orange are showing up as purple? (Might be more, that's just what I notice right off the bat...)
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Starstarfish

Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:03 pm

I love the choices but yeah something (at least with the post) seems a bit off. Just want to make sure where things stand now before making suggestions.

Eos

Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:04 pm

Oh, that's just cause I didn't feel like updating the helpfile before all colors are finalized. The names are indeed wrong, but they'll be changed, so please overlook it for now.

Starstarfish

Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:19 pm

I'll toss out my personal suggestions as:

CAB and DAB - Some nice red shades for all those Inquisitor types.

Otherwise I might suggest filling in the others with some pastels for various uses:

BDF, DDF, EDF, FFE

• Information