Color Suggestions 46 color mode

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Eos
Discord Handle: Eos#5637

Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:07 pm

Hello everyone,

as you may have noticed, we just implemented 30 more colors to join the 16 we had (type xterm in game to turn 46 color mode on and off).
We'd like to tweak the colors a little and would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions on this.

Please keep in mind:
  • The 16 standard colors won't be changed, only the 30 new ones
  • Some people use light backgrounds, some dark
  • Please list for suggested colors which current color code you would replace with them
We'd like to update the colors before next OOC meeting.

Here's what colors are possible to implement
(this is what they look like with the standard MUSHclient settings)

Here's the colors that are currently implemented

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:29 pm

So just to clarify ... is there a code reason we are settled on 30 versus full implementation or a higher number?

A really long time ago another player showed me this as the Xterm elsewhere:
Xterm.png
(10.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
And I'm wondering if we could have something similar (if nothing else visually arranging the helpfile like this might be a super big help.)

I'm also wondering if this is the moment we are introducing new reds and purples to establish which colors are meant to be Cardinal Red and Tubori Purple.

Eos

Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:41 pm

46 are all the letters of the alphabet minus those that are used elsewhere. We didn't want to change the syntax so as to provide a smooth transition from 16 to more and back. We also want to keep the 16 standard to be as they are so that old outfits still look the same, regardless of what mode you're running.

Starstarfish
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:52 pm

Just to ask the potentially controversial question could we also use numbers?

But I can come up with some suggestions. Just for comparison do we have what Xterm code the colors we have now are?

Taunya

Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:57 pm

Snip from helpfile:
16 Colors:
   {r red     {c cyan    {R  bright red      {C bright cyan
   {g green   {y yellow  {G  bright green    {Y bright yellow
   {b blue    {w white   {B  bright blue     {W bright white
   {m magenta {D Gray    {M  bright magenta 

46 Colors:
   {r red     {c cyan    {R  bright red      {C bright cyan
   {g green   {y yellow  {G  bright green    {Y bright yellow
   {b blue    {w white   {B  bright blue     {W bright white
   {m magenta {d dark    {M  bright magenta  {D Dark Gray
   {e emerald {f fawn    {E  bright emerald  {F bright fawn
   {h hazel   {i indigo  {H  bright hazel    {I bright indigo
   {j jade    {k khaki   {J  bright jade     {K bright khaki
   {l lime    {n navy    {L  bright lime     {N navy purple
   {o orange  {p pink    {O  bright orange   {P bright pink
   {q quartz  {s silver  {Q  bright quartz   {S bright silver
   {t teal    {u umber   {T  bright teal     {U bright umber
   {v violet             {V bright violet   

Other Symbols:
   {{ { sign  {x reset   {- ~ sign           {[ [ sign
   {( < sign  {) > sign  {@ $ sign

}* inverse video (where * is the color code [r, c, etc.])
   @{ in an editor will print all color codes, etc.

{/ Carriage return; once creates a line break, twice an empty line.

The actual color of the base colors will be client-setting dependent I believe. I think the extended ones will be the same on all clients (that support them).

Eos

Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:03 pm

Starstarfish wrote:
But I can come up with some suggestions. Just for comparison do we have what Xterm code the colors we have now are?
I edited my entry post a few times - the second picture has the ones currently in use.

Temi

Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:53 pm

Starstarfish wrote:
Just to ask the potentially controversial question could we also use numbers?
We've decided we're going to stick with just the unused letters. 1) We think it's enough - people have to parse all these things and we already have a few that are looking a bit similar. 2) It's easier to match them up with letters that have meaning. There's no color meaning to make numbers easier. 3) It's nicely consistent across both color systems.

Deedee

Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:12 pm

I noticed that with xterm colors off, {p and {P for pink and bright pink map to dark red and bright red. I think magenta and bright magenta would be closer for those.

Likewise, teal/bright teal might be better as cyan/bright cyan instead of blue.
There's a few others too, but not sure the best thing for them. Both indigo and Bright indigo map to bright blue, for example, and not sure if violets are better as blue like present, or magenta.

Temi

Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:46 pm

So, from my previous poking at it, I think the standard 16 colors are approximately:

r - daa R - faa c - add C - aff g - ada G - afa y - dda Y - ffa b - aad B - aaf w - ddd W - fff m - dad M - faf

Though of course they work differently.

From poking at it, I'd say, ones that aren't necessarily ideal:

G & E are very close
T & B are a bit close as well
e might be too dark

For G and E, G will stay the same, so maybe shift E a little bit further - like cfc? Or dfd? There's already lime which is a little yellower, and jade which is a little bluer for the greens.

For T & B, the B will stay the same. I think the T could be a little greener if it is supposed to be teal, but not just the same as cyan. Maybe adf?

For e... I don't know if we can do too much. aca may be too close to g. And could have some useful cases. Again, don't need a yellower or bluer one.

Taunya

Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:16 am

Temi wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:46 pm
So, from my previous poking at it, I think the standard 16 colors are approximately:

r - daa R - faa c - add C - aff g - ada G - afa y - dda Y - ffa b - aad B - aaf w - ddd W - fff m - dad M - faf

Though of course they work differently.

From poking at it, I'd say, ones that aren't necessarily ideal:

G & E are very close
T & B are a bit close as well
e might be too dark

For G and E, G will stay the same, so maybe shift E a little bit further - like cfc? Or dfd? There's already lime which is a little yellower, and jade which is a little bluer for the greens.

For T & B, the B will stay the same. I think the T could be a little greener if it is supposed to be teal, but not just the same as cyan. Maybe adf?

For e... I don't know if we can do too much. aca may be too close to g. And could have some useful cases. Again, don't need a yellower or bluer one.
The difference between standard ANSI and the xterm colors is the former are dependent on the client, whereas the xterm ones are universal.
So the original 16 will look different to different players, while the new xterm colors will be the same for all.

• Information