Large Scene Management

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:43 pm

So... places actually lets people *create* temporary furniture, or locations, on the fly. I gather this is not currently known?

Taunya

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:48 pm

That's known, but I think it's considered unwieldy. The consensus seems to be that physical objects would be better.

Sparkles

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:52 pm

Join is awesome and very useful for smaller scenes and off-the-cuff stuff.

But in a huge scene or event, join spot disappears when the last person stands up (even if you had to stand up temporarily to do something codewise you can't start sitting). They also require someone to remember to create them, but furniture being there the minute someone walks in kind of naturally inspires the behavior.

(That's ancetodal from watching behavior in say the Bear and Boar that has loaded tables and people gratitude towards sitting in them versus the Queens where people tend to just all never move from the doorway.)

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:10 am

So if we add more furniture in places, that would solve large scene management, or just improve it?

Can I get a staff member (or player interested in QP) to test the join that creates temporary places and report specifics about what is clunky?

Sparkles

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:22 am

I think it might just improve it. But given that part of the concern (I think) at times is folks with screen readers or folks on mobile, I don't know there's a strict 100% solution that isn't just various ways to cut down on the amount of spam people see.

Other possible solutions:

- When there's over X number of people in a room, there's a chance of dropping emotes that don't include you (you aren't tagged) or based on distance.

- Going with the above, changing the number of folks who can all physically be in the same location in a room. Make people actually spread out rather than all stand in the doorway by making spaces get full.

- Maybe how far your voice carries can be a Charisma thing?

I have no idea how difficult or time consuming to code any of those would be, but those are some other ideas.

Also as an FYI: Join spot descs can use color codes! So, setting them up with those can help big room confusion as an idea to people.

Taunya

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:52 pm

Another suggestion, when using places I still mess up and use emote instead of jmote a lot.
Similar to hide automatically turning emotes into hemotes, could join make them into jmotes by default?

There should be some way to override it to send an emote to the room, but it should require thought to do that, rather than thought to speak in your place.

Sparkles

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:03 pm

+1 to being in a join spot using jmote/jsay by default.

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:16 pm

I do not agree with join spots being jmote/jsay automatically. This means that if someone comes up and talks to someone in the spot, and doesn't join, it will be required for someone to leave in order to interact with them. This will be even worse. Please, no.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Taunya

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:18 pm

No need to leave the place, but will require a different command from "," or "emote" to send a public emote.

Satoshi

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:36 am

I personally don't find Join spots hard to make or use at all. It's literally the easiest thing in the world, and you can, in fact, do it in three steps:

'join create large table against the wall'

'seats 10'

'done'

That would create a large table in three quick steps, however join doesn't **show** that it's made a spot to the room, and particularly in large rooms it's hard to tell unless people constantly refer to their join spot in an emote or people osay to remind people to use join spots. I try to do that in bigger scenes but some of them I forget or like the one I was in charge on, was too busy fretting to be much good for RP :P

Perhaps just a little message 'X has created a join spot: 'name of join spot' ' when people first make a joinspot so people are aware of it, though that does then sort of make it obvious when you slip into a join spot to talk about things quieter while still engaging in a scene.

• Information