Crime: Code and Culture

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sat May 04, 2019 4:18 am

I didn't want to hijack the other important discussion on executions. However, I think while reviewing that it might also be time to consider the code and culture of crime overall. Pardon if this is a bit stream of consciousness.

- I think overall the Reeves have as an organization a lot of IC power and tools at their disposal that make RP as a criminal a bit difficult.

The "verify" command is likely one of the biggest ones. Without any real investigative effort or RPA they can find out your "real" AKA coded name even if via RP anywhere else no one else addresses you as that name. Likewise that somehow instantly they can know your height, weight, age, and place of origin no matter how well you might RP outside of that. IMHO, in a medieval society of our record keeping level, having an instantly updated database of that information like a modern DMV is a bit outside of scope.

I think instead what we need is some kind of an IC census where you provide your publically available information and update it every X period of IC time (perhaps once an IC year on your birthday as code already knows when your birthday is.)

What this should show IMHO is the IC information that could otherwise be gleaned easily from other sources: Name (as provided to the census), Age, Birthplace (as provided to the census), Known Place of Employment (IE - Roster and/or Guild rank info). RP wise this would better represent tax papers and a bit less "Papers Please."

- Now that we've cut down on OOC contact with channels and tells et al, people knowing who is available for RP is even more important.

However, messengers cannot at present find people who are cloaked and hooded. Which clearly makes the organization of RP for criminal types using completely IC methods a bit difficult. (Assuming everyone involved isn't a mage :evil: )

I'd thus suggest the idea that people should be able to "purchase" messenger profiles/aliases the same as mail profiles or to link the two. RP wise I think we'd need to accept the idea that in a city with as many vNPCs as we have in a scenario like "find the Tenebrae" that message might go through a number of vNPCs/NPCs before finally reaching the person in question.

I also think for RP overall that being able to have custom "approaches" adds a lot of flavor to RP.

- I think we need to consider allowing people to set their Whois name to something other than their real coded name. While I appreciate that Whoinvis is available, I don't think the option should be to hide from potential RP as the way to avoid potential meta. And I kind of regret not pondering the idea before during the original Whoinvis whobaloo. I think a good potential solution is to allow people to set their name on the Who list. (Perhaps linked to mail/messenger profiles.)

Taunya

Sat May 04, 2019 5:43 am

I like that census idea. I spent QP and a lot of effort switching the coded name to be in line with what one of my characters was actually known as due to related issues. It's a royal pain in general to not use your coded name for things- it's linked to bank stuff as well.

I've said before that I wish we could use mail profiles for messengers. Good point as well on the not being able to receive messengers while cloaked (And oddly enough- you can receive messengers while hidden. Go fig.)

galaxgal

Sat May 04, 2019 3:40 pm

I dig this idea of 'messenger profiles' ala courier profiles. Maybe being findable while cloaked on a certain profile could be a premium option that costs some extra silver?

I guess the concern there is that characters who are purely spooky or sneaky types would never want to take their cloaks off unless forced?
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

Kuzco

Sat May 04, 2019 8:16 pm

Verify is a bit ridiculous, yes. I've told staff more than once that it should be far more limited in scope. And that it should have a cost.

• Information