Exile and its Implementation

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:38 pm

Being cautious about what information a staff member should share, but viewing this as important context to clarify misinformation for this discussion - it is not easy to get 25 IP. It is, in fact, much harder to get 25 IP than it is to get 25 QP, particularly when it comes to having IP on hand when you actually need it while QP accumulates indefinitely.

As I speak right now, the maximum 'weekly earned influence' in game is 14 (with a very, abnormally large support base), and the maximum 'held influence' is 16. A player can buy a maximum of 5 IP worth of influence, and beyond that, they need help. I can see the cost being a bit steeper, but I don't think 25 as the base setting for this was ridiculous.

With regards to QP - the average QP of all active accounts is 107. Going down the wholist right now, the average QP is 131. If I eliminate a major outlier, the average QP of people online right now is 61.

In our only practical example, six additional players potentially provided IP to initiate an exile - four of whom explicitly wrote in their IP pooling reason that they were supporting an exile. Whereas this type of information does not make it into the public sector, and no highly visible and public 'council meeting' must be held, that doesn't mean it's a whimsical 'push of a button' or a trivial activity. If Staff feel an exile attempt does not meet the necessary RP criteria, then it won't be approved.

Taunya

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Kinaed wrote:
If I eliminate a major outlier, the average QP of people online right now is 61.
*silently chokes to death in the background*

vaxin

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:53 pm

That just proves we have some unimaginative players -- who keeps their QP for more than a week? Especially someone playing a villain.

Taunya

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:03 pm

LonelyNeptune

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:34 am

Kinaed wrote:
In our only practical example, six additional players potentially provided IP to initiate an exile - four of whom explicitly wrote in their IP pooling reason that they were supporting an exile. Whereas this type of information does not make it into the public sector, and no highly visible and public 'council meeting' must be held, that doesn't mean it's a whimsical 'push of a button' or a trivial activity.
That's taken me by surprise - I expected to at least hear about a muster of support, being an active and involved member of the council. My apologies, I genuinely didn't know about it.

Nonetheless, 25 IP can be easily gathered by 2 influential players, as mentioned by Kirill. I receive 11 IP a cycle and I don't consider myself to have a ridiculously high number of supporters. I expect a Seneschal would have higher, perhaps even the max. If we're conservative about it and assume the Seneschal has 10 IP and one friend with 10 IP, and they purchase 5 IP, it's trivially easy to achieve.

Consider that in our only practical example, the Seneschal didn't even need to ask influential members of the Council to garner enough support. This is intended to be challenging.

galaxgal

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:33 pm

Kinaed wrote:
With regards to QP - the average QP of all active accounts is 107. Going down the wholist right now, the average QP is 131. If I eliminate a major outlier, the average QP of people online right now is 61.
I have to admit I'm a little wary of the one-size-fits-all analysis here. For instance, what's the QP of people who are regularly playing antagonists or instigating plotlines to engage other players vs. this basewide average? What's the IP of e.g. well-established guild leaders vs. the basewide average? (I'm not actually asking for these, to be clear, just posing them rhetorically.)

Like vaxin suggests, I imagine a conflict-driving player is going to be getting a lot of RPA just because they're going to need npc/vnpc help to do their plots or get the connections they need, especially when a lot of the playerbase might be united against them. Meanwhile, a new player or someone who mostly plays a bystander while they get to grips with what's possible in the game is going to use RPA a lot less because they'll have less of a framework for what to ask.
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

Kinaed

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:14 pm

I'm not sure I understand what is being said here. In providing statistics, we naturally use this information for decision making in terms of design. This doesn't necessitate a "one size fits all" approach, but does provide information to help us establish reasonable system thresholds. In this particular case, the information of how many people are involved goes into the Staff Review, which in itself is a situationally tailored activity.

25 IP may be low by the view of some, but in the practical example, it clearly functioned as desired.

11 is a lot of IP to get per week. Right now, probably due to rollover, the top IP weekly earning is 15 QP. Of the top most influential players in game, only seven are even earning 10 or more IP per week (that's from a pool of 46 active characters). Just because two players at their absolute maximum could enact an exile if they were the Seneschal doesn't mean that is the average case. Yes, the Seneschal tends to skew towards the more influential type of character - but they are not always at their maxium or the most influential character in the game. In fact, right now there are several characters ahead of them.

I do think we could make an exile slightly more costly, but I probably wouldn't go more than 30 IP.

LonelyNeptune

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:58 pm

That's 15% of active influential players by the way.

I don't think it should be possible for any two players to pull it off, no matter how influential they are. Nor is it appropriate to be able to collect 1-2 IP from a few uninfluential characters and be done.

At the end of the day, influential members of the Council missed out on RP because it wasn't even necessary to call a meeting. That's how easy it was to gather the IP.

30 isn't enough in my opinion but it is better.

Kinaed

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:13 pm

It's a power of the Seneschal. In my view, it should take some effort to implement so as not to be a fully self-recharging repetitive ability, but it equally shouldn't require so much effort that it's only possible with the approval of half the pbase. I'm content if it requires 1-2 additional people and handling it poorly ICly is the Seneschal's cross to bear.

Unfortunately, such views are subjective/opinion based.

Taunya

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:19 pm

If some of the other suggestions were implemented, I'd be fine with exile being free. What could cost x IP is a warrant that turns the NPC population against them to enforce an exile if they return to grid, or bringing to bear NPCs in order to capture them to exile them.

• Information