The New World Order - Repoll

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Is a regency council better for RP than a Monarchy?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:55 pm

Yes, let's keep the politicking of the Regency Council!
No votes
No, I want one person to arbitrate it all!
43%
Maybe... I posted my thoughts below.
57%

Total votes: 7
registerednuisance

Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:26 am

I don't think we can just shift to a monarch, we're kind of painted in to a corner. I think power grabs are valid and there can be some shared power. There are 3 major branches - Religious, Secular law, Nobility. One from each can make a council that won't have ties, all are major roles always filled, and if mail is considered valid, it's fine. Secular is already there, the Order can simply demand to be and nobility can be whomever the nobles decide.

Or, even just see what happens with IC power grabs. I don't know if we have a corrupt inquisitor who could try and get to the top and start barking orders, or if someone can install a puppet monarch that's supposedly got Dav blood or whatever, but we could see if the players can take it somewhere before the imms install something.

Kaemgen

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:25 pm

Toby for king?

Estelle

Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:56 am

So, it seems that the matter has been concluded. I personally have no problems with either the decision for the monarchy, nor the person chosen for Seneschal. I do feel a little sad, though, that this thread was created and suggestions asked for, and yet no attempt made at making any modifications for the salvage of the Council before a drastic change was made, despite there being plenty of suggestions here.

Jei

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:24 am

I'm glad that a monarch was chosen, myself.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:44 pm

Before the change was made, I spoke to the pbase that was online as well as the other staff members that were available throughout the two days that it took me to make the arrangements.

Estelle, I'm sorry that you did not feel adequately consulted, but I think that I did a reasonable consultation given my circumstances... in general to make sure I covered the important bases. Still, not to put a very fine point on it, but consultation is only a courtesy on TI.

With regards to the other suggestions - I think they were interesting, but I don't think modifications to the council would have solved the highest priority issues. I think that the failure of the council was around a lot of things, and yes, some of it was just real life taking people away, but the reality is, I personally think one person in charge as a go-to for everything is a lot better for TI in its current state than an oligarchy.

I chose Cellan for a few reasons. Firstly, I wanted the transition to be as reasonably IC as possible, and Cellan's character has historically been either the regent or close enough to the regency to make it plausible. Second, Cellan is a person's main character with an established history instead of a new character that I couldn't be sure would get the kind of love that a main character does. Thirdly, the player was a staff member willing to give up their staff role (upon my request - Eris did not suggest or request to be made queen) to both further the game and explore an exciting opportunity for her RP, which means that I think we'll have an active, realistic "monarch" rather than an inactive character put together solely to fulfill the role. Finally, to my knowledge, Cellan hasn't ICly made many personal enemies and is OOCly diplomatic and calm. She acknowledges the RP threads that pull people in different directions, can look at the big picture to understand "What does this mean for the game?", and finally, honestly, is close enough to me that I can discuss issues with her as they arise and feel trust that if I have qualms, I can approach her and have an honest discussion without her feeling that my motives are to squash her fun, or play queen myself instead of acting for the good of the game.

Wow, that was long winded. In any case, I see several advantages to players, and apologize for the disadvantages. Ideally, I would like to have seen the council work, but I also feel that it didn't, and this is a better (if not perfect) alternative. So, I hope that the result is to everyone's satisfaction - and if it isn't, go ahead and post about it!

• Information