Ingame Travel and Infrastructure

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Taunya

Fri May 25, 2018 5:10 pm

Rations can be had at at least one pshop I know of for around 30 silver. Other PC cooks offer a range of cheaper high-mv foods. And fountains can augment for the desperate, which are fed by springs, so I hear.

I agree that infrastructure has stagnated at very low levels for too long, but efforts are being made in making more impactful ways to affect metrics, so that's being worked on. Meanwhile an option I've not seen used lately is RPA to effect a temporary bump to a metric, is that still doable?

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Fri May 25, 2018 6:02 pm

Taunya wrote:
Rations can be had at at least one pshop I know of for around 30 silver. Other PC cooks offer a range of cheaper high-mv foods. And fountains can augment for the desperate, which are fed by springs, so I hear.

I agree that infrastructure has stagnated at very low levels for too long, but efforts are being made in making more impactful ways to affect metrics, so that's being worked on. Meanwhile an option I've not seen used lately is RPA to effect a temporary bump to a metric, is that still doable?
If plot advances can't be used to affect metrics, I doubt rpa can be used.
Lurks the Forums

LonelyNeptune

Fri May 25, 2018 9:16 pm

Taunya wrote:
Rations can be had at at least one pshop I know of for around 30 silver.
I wouldn't be able to afford that, I don't know many who could.

That being said, Infrastructure is the lowest that it can be at the moment. Metrics are intended to be punishing when they are so low. It's incredibly annoying, yes. But I feel that it's an issue that should be addressed IC. The roads are horrible - who is responsible for fixing this problem? Who can you blame?

With the Seneschal election coming up I'd encourage anyone to put their name up and try to make a difference. There's a ton of opportunity for story here.

wimple

Sat May 26, 2018 4:02 am

Several solutions - cheap IC food being available at locations, horses (Charalin horses might be gentry/noble/Charalin only, but there are cheaper breeds available that would be entirely thematic to own), food being available at the Alms, fountains - have been brought up, but nothing seems to be amenable. I'm not sure really where to take the discussion. I do agree that this could be problematic for cyans that are just figuring out the game and I have had to rescue at least one cyan that got stuck somewhere because of not watching their move. Perhaps making cyans immune to this might be helpful in allowing people to explore and figure out the game no matter the state of the city at the time, with the eye towards them being able to manage it once they are out of cyan. I'm not sure what the drink container cyans start out with is, but it would also probably be useful it actually holds a good deal of drink, rather than the smaller ones that do not, so people are less likely to get stuck.

All metrics, at their most extreme, are going to have some big impacts when they are low that hit certain classes/races pretty hard. Every time this happens there are complaints. I recall that when race relations went low there were initially complaints from some characters on not being able to shop or not being able to interact with NPCs that ran their own shops, etc. But that metric wasn't tanked - I think changes were made so you could get a same-race character for a shop, but other than that, not much changed. I think some concessions for cyans would be good, as suggested above, but not much else needs to change here. I'm not really sure that blocking off roads or traffic obstacles would be any better than what is happening now. When major thoroughfares have been blocked off by mages in the past this has led to lots of complaints about spell durations because crossroads/church square were separated. In other similar situations people have complained about a lack of RP options in the areas of the city they were stuck in, etc. So I have the feeling we will have a similar bevy of complaints that way.

The problem here for freeman may be that (1) those in charge may not be impacted by it because of horses so not realize the impact it has on the lower classes - this is a rather thematic problem - and (2) may not feel their guild is responsible for watching the metric (although I think an argument could be made it is important for the Merchants in particular). I think there are just as many RP lines with this metric as there are for any other. You in a guild? Talk to your GLs about it and see if you can get IP to do a project to repair roads. They refuse? Start rumors. Not in a guild but run an on grid shop? Same thing, or send out letters to gentry/nobles for the same sort of support. You have to spend 200 silver to get across the city for an arrest? Charge your GL for it or insist on higher pay. Talk to cook characters about buying bulk orders of food for X excuse to save on costs, plenty of them likely have stores of food they have used to get their skill up high that they are not selling or using. Public scene across town that you want to attend? You'll probably have to make concessions, but you will have a lot to talk about once you get there. Private scene? Make new mid-locations to meet at or if it is someone with a horse, force them to come to you. Etc.

All that said, even freeman with pitiful IP can impact metrics. I've been able to raise metrics to get extremely rare items just by plugging away at it. I'd consolidate with other freeman or hustle to get RP so that you're able to impact it and help raise it.

Taunya

Sat May 26, 2018 5:53 am

Effects of low metrics, as I recall them:
Low Lawfulness: makes things easier for theives- crimes are not reported, patrols don't spawn to stop them
Low Morale: Less pool goes into skill gains.
Low Piety: makes things easier for mages- same as lawfulness, but for witches.
Low Economics: everything costs more at NPC shops
Low Health: Easier to catch diseases, more diseases become active, including potentially deadly ones like the plague or golden lung.
Low Infrastrucutre: where we are now. More mv is used when moving on city streets or on roads.
Low Class Relations: Unable to buy at shops not of your class - Nobles can buy from noble-owned shops, gentry from gentry-run, freemen from freemen-run.
Low Race relations: Unable to enter foreign quarters not of your race, starting first with races that are always at each others throats (e.g. Tubori and Vandagan, Charali and Vavardi), and NPCs throw out some fun insults against other races.

I'd be for cyan status giving a break from metric penalties where applicable. There's already a lot for a new character to learn and figure out.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sun May 27, 2018 4:13 pm

I'd be for cyan status giving a break from metric penalties where applicable. There's already a lot for a new character to learn and figure out.

Maybe to go with that as well, aggro mobs shouldn't be aggro on cyans.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Mon May 28, 2018 12:28 am

Staff have reviewed this thread. At this time, we're looking at adding a hostel to the game for people to sleep in thematically centrally in the city and some stat exits.

It's a bit hard to say how bad this actually is in terms of individual impact, and the staff view that 'if it's bugging players, why don't they try to do something about it and see if it works'. For example, infrastructure can up as a result of trying a few things from direct intercession (using money to buy IP and put your character's influence into the vote) or through several of the less direct methods mentioned before. We'd like to see and know these methods are failing before we start to throw in fixes.

Voxumo

Mon May 28, 2018 2:24 am

Kinaed wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:28 am
Staff have reviewed this thread. At this time, we're looking at adding a hostel to the game for people to sleep in thematically centrally in the city and some stat exits.

It's a bit hard to say how bad this actually is in terms of individual impact, and the staff view that 'if it's bugging players, why don't they try to do something about it and see if it works'. For example, infrastructure can up as a result of trying a few things from direct intercession (using money to buy IP and put your character's influence into the vote) or through several of the less direct methods mentioned before. We'd like to see and know these methods are failing before we start to throw in fixes.
I must have missed the less direct methods mentioned, as to my knowledge the only one that was brought up was the rpa, which has been proven to be unusable now. And as far as know metric votes are the only way to improve or hurt a metric?
Lurks the Forums

Helena

Mon May 28, 2018 6:04 am

I love when this metric is low!

I find it so immersive to hear people constantly complaining about the roads, and to suffer a constant weariness, and to actually 'rest' each time they sit. But I'm biased because my characters does not need MP except to walk. I believe it becomes very annoying for all the crafters and fighters.

What I don't like, though, are the several OOC hours needed to rest. Maybe that tweaking that could solve the MP pb for everyone?

Voxumo

Mon May 28, 2018 7:36 am

Helena wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:04 am
What I don't like, though, are the several OOC hours needed to rest. Maybe that tweaking that could solve the MP pb for everyone?
Sleeping on beds or sleeping rolls will speed up the actual recovery from sleeping, unless that has changed. It still takes some time, but it's alot faster than not using a bed or roll.
Lurks the Forums

• Information