[Poll] Seneschal

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

How should we handle the early removal of a Senschal?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:26 pm

Place the runner up in the Seneschal role.
50%
Re-open the bidding process.
45%
Either, I don't care.
5%

Total votes: 22
Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:26 pm

Dear Players,

We just got a new Seneschal, our very first one! Sadly, our new Seneschal has been publicly warranted for magery and will no longer be eligible to serve (this is what happens to GLs when they're warranted too, if anyone is curious).

So this leaves us wondering - should we kick off bids again or should we just put the runner up in the bids competition in? We originally planned to re-open bids whenever this happened, but this happened in a very short span. We worry the pbase might get exhausted from bids happening all of the time.

Note: if we set a precedent that the runner up goes in, then it will cut off people's ability to oust or eliminate a Seneschal with the intent of forcing a new "election".

What do you think? Tell us!

The_Last_Good_Dragon

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:30 pm

Personally, I would say re-open the bidding process .... or, more slyly, allow the Court to place whoever they want to in the position until the next election. This could either be the runner-up, or whoever the Keeper of Seals otherwise deems most suitable. The latter seems, to me, to be more in line with the Medievalish Theme.
~~ Team Farra'n'Stuff. ~~

Temi

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:32 pm

I'd suggest taking the runner up this time, due to possible fatigue, but maybe that should only be the solution if that run of bids was less than an IC year ago or something like that.

Silrie

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:33 pm

I for one think reopening bids is both fair and thematic. It'll give the runner ups another chance at campagneing and I kind of thought some interesting rp was created from it. Besides, as you wrote, Kinaed, placing a runner up in the role would eliminate the ousting ability which wouldn't really be fair to other GLs.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:14 pm

My opinion on the matter is to allow the runner up incase of unlawful removal of the Seneschal, such as magery or criminal activity. However if an ousting occurs that is a different story, and should be handled as such, resulting in a new bid taking place.
Lurks the Forums

tblaes

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:34 pm

I'll admit, I'm torn. I can see silrie's point, speaking from a gl prospective.. however, from a playerbase prospective, reopening bids, might be a little tiresome.. so, I'm leaning tward putting the runnerup in, until the next bid cycle comes around. its similar to what happens with a president.. if he can't serve, or gets remove, the vice vp takes over, to serve out his term.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:44 pm

But with the presidency the VP is someone who is already chosen. The problem with allowing the runner up is that the person who could have been runner up could either be dead, inactive or other such circumstances that would prohibit them from taking the position. Is it realistic to go down the list of people who could have been runner ups?

On top of this, what happens if the Seneschal dies while in office? That is something that should be decided as well, whether another bid system takes place or the runner up?
Lurks the Forums

Zeita

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:58 pm

Re-opening the bidding is where I would sit on the matter for this instance.

For the future, if you want to set up rules wherein the runner-up takes over in that would be fine or for simple court appointment (which as Farra points out seems to suit theme), but it would be best to be clear about that upfront. This time, the rules going in were clear, and they weren't to allow the 2nd placed person to step in but that the race would be rerun if the Seneschal was no longer Seneschal. As that has happened, it should be allowed to run that course.

Taunya

Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:05 am

My first thought was just place the runner-up in the position, since it's easier, and city metrics are already in place without anyone to guide it until a new one is chosen.
But given the circumstances, I would think a lot of the populace would consider the whole first race to be tainted. Going to change my vote to re-opening it after all.

Pixie

Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:46 am

Reopening bidding would be my personal preference.

• Information