Poll: Mages in Cells

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Should mage cells be no-magic?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 20
Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:43 pm

If a mage is restrained, they cannot evoke, but they -can- invoke is how we've set the game. Right now, it's an honor system though. If a bored mage is left in a cell, ICly bound head and foot, they've no business casting spells - but many do.

In general, I'm not ecstatic about the idea of making cells no-cast because I think if the knights, order, etc, mess up, the mage ought to have a chance to escape. However, I've noticed hyper-rationalization amongst mages "if I can do it codewise, then let me figure out a logical, IC reason why I can cast - oh yeah, I slip my bonds! 'Cause I'm just cool like that!" Hyper-rationalization goes in the twink file.

Ok, so I've finally had a request to make cells nomagic. And I'm torn. Wanna help me out, pbase?

Rabek

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:46 pm

I'm very against this. Preparing spells is what takes motion/words/etc in the current system. Actually releasing them and casting them doesn't, so I see no reason why it should be prevented. If a mage has the foresight to prepare a spell before getting caught, they shouldn't be prevented from using it just because they're in a cell.

Kinaed

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:47 pm

Just a note to Rabek's comments - it'd cover actually being able to prepare spells whilst in cells, as well as releasing spells. The issue isn't so much about unleashing the spell, but being able to evoke new ones and prepare to unleash spells whilst restrained, I think... but I'm guessing.

Marsilio

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:48 pm

I agree with everything mentioned already about the Honor System. If someone is abusing the system, it can be handled then, but there is no reason to put in work to preemptively block certain parts of the game. I believe that the playerbase as a whole can be trusted until proven otherwise. That's just my two-cents.

Wilderop

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:49 pm

Some magic requires only an internal focus of I will it so, other magic requires some sort of bodily movement. Also I've been put in a cell at times with no restraints, of course they did not think I was a mage, but the point is, one is not -always- restrained when put in a cell.

Clockwork

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:01 pm

I put this one under, "It really, really sucks to be a mage at the end of your life." Why make it even worse?

Even if the mage escapes, their world of normal RP is over. Unless you really like the wanted fugitive RP, which generally consists of popping out when you're least expected to say "Boo!" and skulking around in the shadows, your time in jail is the last opportunity for RP not of the "You're going to die" variety.

Estelle

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:01 pm

Having (I think) participated in the conversation that led to this, I think it would be easier to just provide manacle-items in each cell to prevent evoking but not invoking, rather than making cells non-magic at all.

Since I think the issue was something about handcuffs being expensive and that we can't use rope but pose it as chains, etc? :S Beats me. I would just use rope and pose it as chains, really.
Last edited by Estelle on Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinaed

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:06 pm

I'm not sure if manacle items need to be in your inventory to work or not...

Estelle

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:11 pm

Provide manacle items free of charge to the Knights? =/

Kinaed

Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:00 am

Nothing's free :)

• Information