Attracting New Players

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Geras

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:40 pm

Anyone have any ideas? I'm willing to contribute to funding ads FWIW. I don't know that I have time to write a review for /r/MUDS but if someone could that would be awesome.

Geras

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:40 pm

Attracting old players also would be good.

cortical_stack

Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:59 am

I was a potential new player very interested in joining TI, read the lore and spent some time discussing roles on the Discord. This was right as the 5 minute pose timer was being discussed and implemented. When I saw the vitriol with which a vocal group was responding to the change, I decided to hold off and see what happened. When the decision to rescind that change was made I decided not to play. I've been checking your OOC meeting logs every few weeks since to see if TI makes any further attempts to modify the game's culture to a faster pace. If that culture change does eventually happen I would be interested again.

galaxgal

Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:24 pm

Right now the NPE is basically setting up a character and being pointed to look for RP when none may be available. Pointing these players to activities that aren't dependent on live scenes (rumormongering, crafting, gardening, practicing skills or going training in public places, etc.) helps defuse that "I'm here and there's nothing to do." feeling.

A lot of older players have less and less time to play vs. what is normal for the current game. This is both due to the fact that TI used to be faster (in story progression, conflict generation, RP culture, and mechanics) and due to the fact that as people get older we have less and less time (or more and more alternate hobbies.)

Making the game "faster" (not necessarily emote speed, but as an overall game and story feel) is making the game friendlier to them, as well as potentially making it friendlier to some newbies.
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

phoenixdoll
Discord Handle: pd#1102

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:19 am

I was looking into what was required to get TI packaged with mudlet, but I admit my RL health problems have somewhat got in the way of that.

I think at the moment it is a bit of a quieter period because of some people having to return to work and also there being exams. I know there were bad vibes in recent memory about the 5 minute timer, but the people that I know who have taken a step back did so because of exams or work related stuff.

Admins give QP for people writing reviews. I've been meaning to, I've added it to my to-do list for this weekend.
The main thing I've been doing is asking people to come and try TI. I've tried to get some friends to come and play, but there are aspects about TI's theme that aren't really for everyone, and most of my friends play elsemu - if they play muds at all.

I really like what Galaxgal said about highlighting the things to do other than live scenes too I think. I'm an Aussie and I've been very involved in this quiet time with crafting and writing IC books. :) One of the underappreciated but definitely cool aspects of TI is that you get rewarded for sending mail, and the mail system is quite robust. I really love the cute headers and seals and such.

galaxgal

Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:29 pm

Active use of the mail system is a biggie for time limited or off-hours people. There were times in the past were I couldn't be logged in for extended times or actively scene-ing so I'd send mail or ask others to send me mail instead, and one of things that makes it the hardest to connect with people out of your timezone is how often mail gets lost or forgotten. If I can't scene, I can still have fun in TI posting or considering job and rumors, doing crafting or gardening, doing quick spars, exchanging mail, or exploring the grid, but most of those require those systems to be very player-active. (And some are totally expendable. You can really only explore the fun/weird/dangerous parts of the grid so many times.)

I think all of those are great 'ins' for new players when RP is slow, and can even help drive better RP when it does happen by giving you a goal or objective beyond idle socializing. (Not that there isn't value in having idle socialites, either, of course..)
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

• Information