Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:14 pm

Kinaed asks, "Today's Agenda:

- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics

Does anyone have anything they want to add to the agenda to make sure we discuss it?"

Kinaed has transferred a young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes. [OOC]

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes claims, "I do."

Kinaed gives a young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes some coins.

Kinaed nods at a fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes.

Kinaed muses, "Anyone else?"

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes fistbumps Rhothrian

Terryn wonders to Kinaed, "Did you get me?"

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes raises an eyebrow and asks Kinaed, "Emmm, thanks. What was that for?"

Kinaed states to Terryn, "No, I missed it. Noting"

Terryn states, "Np ty :D"

Morus begins to count their money.

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes states, "You get a toy for a meeting usuually Rhoth. No toy today. Money."

Kinaed muses, "Anyone else have something they want to discuss and make sure we give them some time today?"

Samantha says, "I have more of a question"

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes exclaims, "Sweet!"

Kinaed nods at Samantha.

Kinaed claims to Samantha, "Please write it down so you don't forget it. I'll call on you too."

Samantha nods

Kinaed claims, "Okay, let's kick off with Staff Updates."

Kinaed claims, "I didn't do a lot this week, but what I did do was a lot of policy work."

Rickart states, "We can implement TI: Samantha edition. When it says 'freezing' out you actually od start losing limbs to frostbite. Whoops, starting. STFUs"

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes grins at Rickart.

Kinaed states, "For the record, I have actually nulled information in game that Roewina and Veiss are/were the same character. If you have RP related to that information, please do not act on it. This was not due to explicit use of OOC information, but rather the fact that there were no cnotes around it, and investigation implied a PROBABILITY that OOC information was involved in coming to that conclusion. In short, no punishments were handed out, but that information was stricken from the record."

Kinaed states, "Most of my other work was around cleaning up boards and checking on staff. That's my update."

Kinaed claims to Azarial, "Are you in there? If yes, it's your turn."

A short girl with curly brown hair smiles.

Kinaed states, "Az was not reactive earlier, so I'm just going to toss the ball to Temi."

Takta wonders, "You mean me, right? *grin*"

Kinaed trails off, "Oh, she disappeared when I wasn't looking..."

Kinaed nods at Takta.

Kinaed exclaims to Takta, "You're up!"

Takta claims, "Those damn T names."

Kinaed looks sad.

Kinaed nods at Takta.

Temi skips in down a rainbow, which sparkles away behind her. [OOC]

Kinaed has a rule that new staff can't duplicate the first letter of names because she's that bad.

Takta states, "Anyway: woodworking continues, I've finished my initial concept draft for the Path of Fire, and with hidden exit one-way functionality coming in, I've converted many hidden exits to hidden on one side, not on the other."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes asks, "Is there an ETA on woodworking?"

Samantha whispers to Kinaed "You need to stop giving your staff smoke bombs, they will use them at any chance."

Takta claims, "A lot of small fixes in various places and ways, but not much else. I may be scarce in the upcoming week: I need to put RL first and evaluate my life balance."

Kinaed grins at Samantha.

Kinaed nods at Samantha.

Takta says, "Ummm. I think I can say definitively less than a month on woodworking."

Takta states, "I don't want to be any more precise just yet."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes states, "Bitching. Can't wait to use it."

Terryn nods in agreement with Samantha, " You should give them real bombs." he says to Kinaed.

Takta claims, "Still accepting suggestions, btw. But that's it for me."

Kinaed states to Terryn, "I think that might be a baaad idea. :)"

Kinaed claims to Temi, "You're up :)"

Azarial has returned from AFK.

Kinaed smiles at Azarial.

Kinaed wonders to Azarial, "If you can update the pbase on your work this week, once Temi's gone?"

Temi states, "So, I've been busy puppy chasing. We just got back from puppy playime. But not getting too much done in TI"

Temi claims, "Still trying to get the how to handle RPA done for other staffers so they can help out more"

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Kinaed says to Azarial, "You're up :)"

Azarial says, "Bugs, and some more on archery"

Azarial states, "Nothing too major as yet, I think."

Azarial says, "Mostly adjusting old missile code for the new spec, and chopping out the rest."

Kinaed muses to Azarial, "If you had to say how much of archery/ranged combat is left... where are we at?"

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes questions, "Was there an old archery and if so what were the issues with it?"

Kinaed claims to a young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes, "It was part of the old combat system and doesn't link to the new one."

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes nods at Kinaed.

Kinaed states, "We replaced the old combat system because it was buggy as heck, amongst other reasons."

Terryn uses a biting strength based swing as he cuts at his opponent with his sharp sword.

Terryn claims, "That was old combat"

Rickart muses, "The 'old' is at least a year old now, right? The turn based melee system looks the same to me as it's always been, and that's when I started"

Kinaed says, "I think Az is only partly here - apparently she's got company at home and has to help out."

Kinaed nods at Rickart.

Azarial says, "Ummm."

Rickart claims, "Takra is a man and Az is a woman? I'm so backards."

Azarial queries, "Prolly a quarter of it?"

Kinaed states, "Our system. If you want to see the replaced system, you'd have to play Burning Post."

Kinaed nods at Azarial.

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes states, "I love this combat system. It almost feels like tabletop and playing with miniatures"

Azarial wonders, "Ouch, they didn;t fix that?"

Azarial claims, "Er. nm me, that was rude."

Rickart says, "I'm good, thanks. I just got back after being gone since like March and it looked the same as then"

Kinaed says to Azarial, "I think they patched it."

Tomas states, "They started to then went back to it"

Tomas claims, "It's a bit patched but ultimately pretty similar to what was"

Rickart says, "But if there had been changes, I'd have to go dig it up"

Rickart nods.

Azarial says, "Quivers should work with ammo, arrow types are still in game, the throwing flag never left."

Kinaed trails off, "Okay, that's Az and Temi and Takta..."

Kinaed questions, "No other staff on, so now for the best parts! Players, how was your RP last week?"

Tomas questions to Azarial, "Can I ask, what types of arrows are there going to be,w hat sort of functionality?"

Azarial claims, "So far, plain arrows. damage is on the bow."

Kinaed claims, "Right now, arrows are just ammunition, damage is on the bow."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes queries, "Are they going to be made by woodworkers?"

Terryn didn't rp last week, has been waiting for Cox to hook-up internet.

Kinaed says to a whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes, "Probably."

Takta says, "Woodworkers will be able to make arrows, yeah."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes muses, "Or smiths?"

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes nods.

Takta claims, "Probably with smithed arrowheads."

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion states, "RP Last week: Good, but not enough time OOC to do everything I need to do IC."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes states, "Cool"

Kinaed nods at Takta.

Samantha claims, "Well for me personally it was great.. Out of my 4 characters 3 are active which hasn't happened in a long time.. And the rp I experienced was good, if a bit sporadic here and there"

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes claims, "Rp was nice, as usually. Even though there aren't that many people on there is almost always someone to work scenes with."

Tomas states, "Rp has been... yep lol. I don't know"

Emma agrees with Tomas.

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes states, "As usual that is"

Emma claims, "Oh. Other aquiline person."

Kinaed muses, "Is there anything the staff can be doing to help out? What's people's feeling on the plot system NOW, after several weeks?"

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes claims, "...there's another aquiline. Oh my god that's gonna confuse me"

Emma states, "To much OOC activity to do as much as I want to IC. Not the fault of the game."

Karrina states, "Been good. I have been having a good time with my new second GL."

Tomas claims spot as aquiline number 1

Terryn trails off to a fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes, "I think there are 3 aquilines..."

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion states, "Call me umber."

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes states, "My player topic actually has to do with something RPwise rather than anything coded."

Samantha shrugs "Eh.. Can't really say alot about it since I barely notice it except with the plague."

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes states, "No experience with the plot system yet, but I am only a week and a half old."

Emma states, "Still adoring the plot system, myself."

Temi says, "It's there as something to look at for plot hooks and all that"

Emma claims, "Got a really fun one out of the way last week."

Kinaed states, "I just want to make sure it was a wise thing to add to the game, not a huge stressor or an issue for anyone."

A short girl with curly brown hair has lost link.

Kinaed states to Emma, "That's great to hear."

Tomas queries, "I've been mostly doing plot stuff lately and it's okay? It would be nice if we got a notice when staff replied to it?"

Terryn doesn't really use the plot system unfortunately.

Kinaed says, "I know from the staff side, it's created a LOT of work."

Emma states, "It's fantastic, really. Allows you to do things you wouldn't normally be able to without RPA."

Takta nods at Tomas.

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion agrees with Tomas.

Takta states, "What Tomas says is also my opinion as the single biggest edit it needs, from the player side."

Kinaed claims, "And I think we enjoy it and are supportive of it, but need to know it's serving a purpose and is appreciated."

A short girl with curly brown hair has reconnected.

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion questions, "That would be ncie, just an alert whenever it is edited by anyone?"

Kinaed nods at Tomas.

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes claims, "It definitely is appreciated."

Kinaed pontificates, "Okay, I'll make a note of that. Thanks!"

Tomas says, "Yeah like a pboard notice to everyone it is shared with"

Tomas states, "Or plot board"

Kinaed says, "Okay."

Samantha says, "I'm also just hesistant to use it since i barely understand how to use it"

Emma nodnods. "Having more alerts when something changes would be great."

A slim, strawberry blond-haired man nods.

Kinaed muses to Emma, "Can you help Samantha post a plot or two until she's used to it?"

Emma declaims, "I'd be happy to!"

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion claims, "Samantha plots take over the world."

Emma says, "Samantha, maybe after the meeting I could run you through the polca. It's superduper easy once you've done it once."

Kinaed claims, "I appreciate that. I'd be reluctant to ask a staff member to walk anyone through it just based on how busy we've been, so thank you."

Kinaed questions, "Okay, I think that wraps up the Player Heartbeat - Audric, let's kick off Player Topics with you? What did you want to discuss?"

Morus claims, "Maybe even five min after the meeting so i can cut and run and start setting stuff up"

Morus nudges Emma

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes states, "Are these plots considered quests? I'm not sure how one gets assigned a quest. I think when I first entered Lithmore I got one for some reason, which consisted of earning a certain amount of rpexp in under three hours and mentioning certain keywords."

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes says, "Ooops, sorry"

Azarial claims, "That would be a pvent, and it is not ketyword driven"

Kinaed says to a young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes, "They're not quests exactly, but they're sort of how TI does quests."

Emma claims, "Pvent's are random things that pop up to enrich RP. :)"

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes nods.

Emma states, "You get a little QP for them if you earn the 300xp."

Temi says, "What we call quests is generally game-wide staff run events"

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes states, "Got it"

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes states, "Sec, writing. I am here."

Rickart loves to kill eight dire boar and get in line between 100 other noobs delivering them to the same questgiver in WoW

Kinaed claims to a young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes, "Basically, staff put headline plots in the login sequences, which invites people to RP, then submit plot advances to say what they've done to push the plot along. They get rewards and the staff enact the advances to 'affect the game world'. Spreading rumors, changing zones, etc, basically making things react to the player advance."

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes nods at Kinaed.

Kinaed claims, "The idea is to get away from the static world where it feels like nothing you do changes it, and make the game more reactive to player RP. We have some rules about what we allow and what we don't with regards to requiring people RP out everything they can before submitting an advance, but where RPA would be required, we provide it for free as part of a plot."

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes claims, "Nobility. The current players are awesome and all. Definitely not saying anything bad about them there, but... I sort've feel like for the class system to work with the game it really needs a presence from all three classes. I don't feel like there's any real conflict between houses like there should be in the sort of theme and as such all of my characters are practically unaffected by them altogether. It sort've feels like we only have a small handful, all of which are sort've part of the same tightknit group. Your nobility apps you did brought a pair into the game but one of them from what I've seen is an Orderite which generally means they don't affect anything courtwise and the other I haven't really seen anything from(which I could be missing here, sure). To be frank, I'd like to see a bit of a shakeup or at least some sort've conflict on that level."

Temi begins to move south.

Temi slows to a halt.

Kinaed claims, "This is a genuine issue."

Kinaed says, "We've noticed it too as staff."

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes says, "I considered trying to move a character towards the goal of it and was told by the noble I spoke with that it pretty much wasn't gonna happen because there isn't much to really warrant gifting titles and the like."

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes says, "So it wasn't worth it."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes says, "If there were more of them and maybe centralized around Lithmorran noble houses with vital roles and titles rather than second sons or daughters, it might be better."

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes points at Dante

Takta claims, "The thing is, there is nothing for nobles to compete against each other for, and it's difficult to get RP with others."

Tomas wonders, "I think most of our nobles do have titles... we have... two who don't have titles?"

Takta says, "So the nobles have every reason to be friendly and not antagonistic with one another."

Kinaed claims, "Back in the day, all players were allowed to have a noble, but the result was that the pbase was highly skewed to nobility, and the game support wasn't there to effectively BE nobility (see domain games, relative strength of nobles, etc). To resolve that issue, we'd need to make the game BE about nobles - but if we did that, we killed off the effectiveness of RP as freeman or other players."

Rickart says, "I heard you dropped the every sixth months regency election, which I suppose was one thing they could compete with"

Temi says, "It didn't really seem to be getting the desired effect, though."

Takta states, "I think, given the small amount of nobles we have and the limited nature of their power in-game... maybe we should worry less about intra-class conflict and more about inter-class conflict."

Kinaed claims, "So what we did was move to a limited nobility model because the game, centralized in Lithmore, just wasn't designed to be a game about nobles. We don't have a warroom map like on DA: Inq, and the pbase isn't large enough for us to spread our locations across Lithmore."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes states, "They're all super nice, though, because they're in a rare, untouchable role and they're aware of it."

A person wearing a grey linen cloak states, "I was mentioning last night to someone that I would love to see more inter-class conflict supported by theme."

Samantha I second takta's thing... There really is no reason for the current nobles to actually be at war with each other... however if something were to happen that could be linked to one noble's domain that's a different story

Takta nods at a person wearing a grey linen cloak.

Kinaed states, "The result of THAT is that nobles have less chance to interact realistically. The nobles in game tend to be shunned a bit by freeman because the RP can be uncomfortable, and most of the players are older/established and tend to spend a lot of time with close friends... and hence that tight crew that was mentioned."

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion gets the double shun.

Kinaed states, "A moment whilst I catch up on people's comments."

Azarial asks of an aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion, "Burn someone for the triple?"

Rickart claims, "Which is remarkably accurate to aristocracy whist clubs and the like but not so great for interaction"

Samantha smirks to Kinaed "Then you also get the nobles who are shunned by other nobles who are pretty much just a recluse."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes says, "Audric: The only thing they have to lose is their character, really. It's not like a normal player could take their title or anything else. Being a noble as of now doesn't seem to mean much beyond "Staff approved you to be noble." "

Takta states, "I'm not sure I even feel, personally, that generating intra-class conflict between our four or five nobles is a worthwhile or beneficial goal for the game. *grin* But freemen vs. gentry vs nobility... that may be a better place to beef things up."

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes claims, "Pretty much, Dante."

Temi says, "We did add in the declaration that they should spend time the lower classes and care for them"

Rickart nods at Temi.

A slim, strawberry blond-haired man claims, "Freeman vs Gentry and Gentry vs Freeman. Just get rid of nobility"

Kinaed says, "The six month regency thing got dropped because the eligible participation was too low for value. We will be picking it up again, but in a Mayor of Lithmore system rather than a noble regency bidding system. As of this time, Tomas is expected to be a standard, long lasting GL."

Rickart nods at Kinaed.

Kinaed is commenting as she catches up, apologies if things are disjointed.

Rickart claims, "I really liked all the activity around the first election, but I wasn't around to see what happened after. Yay for the Spaniard."

Takta claims to Rickart, "The second election had a lot less... oomph."

Rickart nods at Takta.

Tomas claims, "On the interaction between nobility and others... I've tried contacting a couple of people who weren't nobles about some things, events that I was interested in seeing get off the ground and had my letters produce no responses. so it's also a two way street"

Tomas says, "I can't interact with people if they just wont' respond to me"

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes wonders, "It'a a shame to have most of the pbase unable to engage in highclass medieval politicking. I get that it overwhelms other RP if everyone can partake in it, but maybe that's what people enjoy playing if that's where they lean?"

Samantha chuckles "Ah that first election... so many burnt bridges."

Azarial says, "So much burnt qp. there wasn;t as much floating around for the second one"

Takta says to a whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes, "I could be wrong, but my impression is that most people choose not to. It's easily done as a gentry."

Kinaed claims, "I think there are a few solutions, but each has drawbacks, and it really depends on the type of game people want to play."

Azarial queries, "And we don;t have the pbase to use more than one?"

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes queries, "If it's easily done as a gentry then why do we even have Nobility?"

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes states, "Why not combine gentry with them."

Takta says to a fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes, "Honestly? It's a good question."

Kinaed claims, "If we increase the number of nobles, I don't think that will resolve their personal malaise about not having a fully fleshed out noble game."

A slim, strawberry blond-haired man claims, "Exactly"

A slim, strawberry blond-haired man trails off, "Nobility fits with the theme, but as far as gameplay goes... It's seems sort of a dead end"

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes says, "I think the impression given is that if gentry are basically soft nobility anyway, the elite circle of nobility PCs tend to be more of an OOC clique than an IC one."

Takta claims, "I wouldn't mind losing or utterly altering the concept of nobility, personally, as I think feudal lords do not work well in a game based in one city."

Kinaed claims, "TI is not, at this time built for nobles to effectively have Game of Thrones-like effective power or decision capability."

Takta nods at Kinaed.

Kinaed says, "If we increase the noble population, that would be more desirable and would probably make us build those systems... BUT."

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion says, "I thought it worked well when we first started and had the nobility with built in conflicts."

Kinaed states, "That'd be throwing away the game we are and putting aside quite a lot of existing, quite good, content and themes."

Kinaed nods at an aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion.

Kinaed states, "Staff can probably go pseudo half-way."

Terryn says, "I think one of the problems is that Nobles are viewed as a special class in game. So when a player winds up getting one, they play it safe with their Noble, not playing it out as they would with any other character they made."

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes states, "Feudal lords do not work well in a game based in one city, unless there is something to compete for like someone metioned I think. "

Takta nods at a young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes.

Kinaed states, "Tell nobles they have a set of 4-5 actions, from moving armies, etc, and be willing to Free RPA that."

Takta states, "There is also an odd OOC perception of it being desirable to have a noble, for some reason."

Kinaed questions, "But it won't necessarily give them the issue at the other side of the thing - what would they fight for?"

Kinaed says, "There needs to be a push and a pull to make that play nicely."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes states, "Probably because they're limited and handed out in teeny tiny groups to specific persons."

Rickart states, "Personally I like having the ability to aspire to nobility. I have a whole potential plot line laid out where my PC would vie to move up from gentry to the county his family is from, but when I asked about it when I played last, I was told that wasn't really the way they wanted to do social mobility on the game, even with burning 100qp on major RPA and when the current count isn't even a player. To me as an aspirational goal that can sometimes be achieved other than reclaiming your deathxp is the appeal of nobility for me. But I never played one, so maybe it's super boring. Or maybe allowing that will bring back the insane over-stuffed amount of nobles. But to me it is a fun goal after reaching professional summits, other than currentl the only one seems to be 'well i guess i'll build more rooms on my manor the'"

Kinaed states, "And then we'd need the pbase to be big enough to support that sort of play."

Kinaed nods at Rickart.

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes states, "The pbase -is- rather large for a MUSH"

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes states, "Erm MUD"

Kinaed claims, "Nobility is a part of our theme and time setting."

A person wearing a grey linen cloak asks, "I think in general, once someone no longer has a good 'goal' to work toward, things become less rewarding. What's the 'goal' in the court?"

Takta has lost link.

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes claims, "I don't really get where the argument of us being too small comes from. Who list is a screenscroller sometimes."

Rickart says, "So it'd be more a decoration, a laurel to my view, than a 'yay we can do game of thrones now.' But that's just how I see 'nobility' here"

Takta has reconnected.

A person wearing a grey linen cloak states, "Normally when someone joins a guild, they work their way up the ranks."

Samantha good question cloaky... I don't even think court knows

Azarial claims to a fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes, "You can cap it so it uses the short list"

Takta asks, "Sorry, what was the question?"

Kinaed claims, "But not large enough. In the interim time, we set the cap on the amount of nobility at 15% of the pbase, but it could be that this was an underestimate of what we actually need to make the RP viable, goals or no, just from a 'enough people around to itneract with'."

Terryn claims to Kinaed, "What every noble fights for. Money. Make it so that mergers(marriages), loyalists/whatever increase monthly income"

A slim, strawberry blond-haired man claims, "I like the idea of Urth become more progressive, getting rid of the nobility. Then we could look down on the Daravi for their fuedal ways. I say make gentry more powerful. Let them earn 'titles' via elections etc. Change the theme and lore to fit what makes good gameplay"

A short girl with curly brown hair nods. "It would be good if there were more things players as a whole could participate in."

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes questions, "What if the way nobility competed against each other was a sort of mini game similar to the rumor system, or even tied to it in some way?"

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes says, "Mercantile princes became the real nobility in actual history."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes says, "Nobility were irrelevant."

Kinaed states to a fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes, "Not enough people online for nobles to play with, which reduces activity and makes them bored."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes says, "I don't know if we're there yet themewise."

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes states, "That -would- be kind've badass."

Takta says, "I think even if we have a ton of nobles, it doesn't solve the problem that we have a class with all this supposed power that isn't usable in game, and their other activities are strongly curtailed (or generally should be) by thematic appropriateness."

Samantha mentions to Takta "Cloak's question was what is the goal of court."

Takta states, "Maybe we should really consider about changing the 'essence' of nobles."

A slim, strawberry blond-haired man claims, "All the more reason to ditch it"

Terryn also pushes for people to stop making nice nobles. >.>

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes says, "I'd vote for removing nobility PCs entirely and having the Queen be a backdrop NPC as she is now. Perhaps when she comes of age."

Kinaed says, "I think this conversation has given me some food for thought."

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion says, "Eh, I never had problem having good, deep and rewarding rp in court- on the other hand, I've only really played as the court GL, which has a very different perspective."

Kinaed claims, "I'm not ready to act on it yet, but I'll discuss this a bit more with staff after."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes states, "Cool"

Takta says, "(Court's purpose, as I viewed it as GL, was to mediate between all other guilds and handle larger problems that didn't fit a specific purview.)"

Kinaed says, "We have to set this topic aside if we're going to touch on everyone, and I think this convo could go on for HOURs."

Takta nods at Kinaed.

Kinaed says, "But I hear the beginnings of some good ideas here."

A slim, strawberry blond-haired man nods.

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes asks, "Related question - Is a GL nobility? And if so, how do they differ from special application-only nobility?"

Takta says, "GLs are not nobles but the 'Great Lords' have noble rights while they hold their position."

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion claims to Takta, "Pretty much, I'd also add to create other rp opportunities for people."

A slim, strawberry blond-haired man states, "GLs aren't Nobles"

Takta states, "The Great Lords are the Justiciar, Earl Marshall, and the Chancellor of the Exchequer."

Samantha looks to Kinaed "I do just have one question... if you did decided to remove nobles, what would happen to current noble characters?"

Takta nods at an aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion.

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes trails off, "The gentry should consume them, because they're too damn rich and influential not to..."

Terryn states to Samantha, "Refer to the french revolution"

Kinaed states to Samantha, "WE are not going to remove nobles; that's off the table. They're intrinsic to theme."

Kinaed claims, "Okay everyone, eyes to Terryn."

Kinaed muses to Terryn, "You had somethign to raise?"

Samantha laughs at Terryn "Smart- ass."

Rickart states, "I hear a lot of Jacobins *keeps an eye out for guillotines*"

Tomas says, "For the record and I may be in the minority here, but I like having noble characters. I... won't get into it later. I can talk with Kinaed later if she wants since she wants to move on"

Kinaed nods at Tomas.

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes nods in agreement with Tomas

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion claims to Tomas, "As do I."

Kinaed wonders to Terryn, "Please introduce your query?"

Samantha claims, "He is likely typing it up"

Kinaed nods.

Terryn is typing.

Morus is idle.

Morus is no longer idle.

Morus has returned from AFK.

Rickart whispers something about 'prima nocte' being still a fun perquiste while Terryn types

Terryn states, "Alright, I've been reading some boards and whatnot with fellow players that play thieves. And one thing some seem to think is half of the time they commit a crime(like breaking into a house) no one plays ball. Sure some reeves will attempt to arrest them. But that's pretty much it. If someone breaks into a house, steals stuff and then tries to sell it back to the original owner. No one usually does anything. That makes it really hard for people to want to do crimes, which in turn leads to lower numbers of conflict characters. So, asking that if someone gets robbed, play ball, it's the thieves trying to stimulate rp."

A person wearing a grey linen cloak says, "That's an interesting take on it."

Kinaed muses, "Can you give examples of what sort of things you'd expect people to be doing that you think aren't happening?"

Tomas queries, "When I had my house broken into it spawned a good bit of rp surrounding it. I mean a lot of it was in letters, but it did spawn a lot?"

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes muses, "Hmmm, is that the standard protocol for a burglary? Give the person a chance to get their items back and in essence the thief is performing a trade skill?"

Emma says, "On a similar..ish note... Dear lord if you're pickpocketed and you notice codedly, but it doesn't make any sense in the RP that you'd have noticed? Don't start shrieking like a banshee. -.-"

Takta nods at Emma.

Terryn says to Kinaed, "Well mainly, players seem resistant to try and buy stuff back. Most just shrug, maybe report to reeves, and get something else."

Takta says, "I might guess players don't want to encourage burglary, because most experience not as an avenue for RP but as rather aversive."

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion claims, "I personally wouldn't trust the person that just stole my stuff to deal with me fairly. :)"
Kinaed nods at Takta.

Emma claims, "No way would I buy something back from a thief who stole it, tbh."

Tomas nods at an aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion.

Takta states, "I have never been robbed, but out of principle I would want to give the thief the finger."

Rickart muses, "Hm, I have no experience with this, but how might you be notice codedly but not be able to notice in the RP? If a thief crafts the right emote, they are supposed to get away with failing their roll?"

Kinaed states, "I don't see that as being all that bad. I wouldn't want to give in or feel blackmailed, so I'd probably drop it too."

Kinaed claims, "Well, pickpocketing is different to a break-in."

Emma states, "If someone bumps into you and you both go toppling to the ground. During the struggle to get back up you notice -codedly- that the person pickpocketed you, I mean. (To towering)"

Terryn claims to Tomas, "Yeah but you can use intermediaries, the case Tom was talking about had about 4-5 levels of people in between them Tom never dealt with a thief"

A person wearing a grey linen cloak claims, "I've attempted to use the bounty and alias systems in the past to urge robbed gentry to buy back the things that were robbed from them but without much success. That's their choice, and I don't really blame them for that. But it's true that there aren't a lot of coded ways for thieves to made a buck off of crime - stealing is a clunky system and not all thieves want to play pickpockets."

Kinaed states, "Code strongly arbitrates pickpockets."

Takta says to Rickart, "Or perhaps your PC is playing as distracted, drunk, etc."

Emma states, "It might not make a whole lot of sense to start screaming wildly that you've been robbed."

Emma states, "I've seen that a couple times. It's kind've bleh."

Takta queries, "We HAVE started codifying staff buy-back rules for pawned items. Might be that would help?"

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes claims, "I think my most glaring example would be someone getting accused of pickpocketing by someone in the middle of court who was in the middle of a focused ceremony."

Kinaed nods at Emma.

Kinaed nods at Takta.

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes claims, "Lol. I remember that."

Kinaed queries, "Was it bad, or a nice interruption?"

Rickart claims, "I guess I just haven't seen it, then. If I fell down, I would have assumed the the code would tell me if I did or did not feel my purse is now lighter"

Terryn says to Takta, "I think they'd like that, usually break-ins wind up being pointless with the thieves sitting on a ton of product"

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes claims, "Thief was buried in a crowd and someone on stage getting smacked codedly noticed the pick pocketing."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes claims, "So announced it IC. Wasn't plausible."

Tomas states to Terryn, "Which created lots of rp for various people. it wasn't just limited to tomas and thief"

Rickart states, "Oooo...thanks whip-cord, THAT's a weird one, yeah"

Kinaed claims, "Okay, I see. Okay, I'll think about that a bit."

Terryn claims to Tomas, "Right"

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion says, "I have issues with houses being robbed when the players that own it are offline."

Takta claims, "A coded thief pawnshop would be easier than RPA, for sure, and might be doable."

Kinaed states, "Okay, guys... time to move on."

Rickart asks, "Should maybe have reduced chance of success at noticing the pick when you're not the target? "

Kinaed claims, "Eyes to Samantha."

Rickart states, "Ok Kin"

Rickart nods.

Kinaed wonders to Samantha, "You had a question?"

Kinaed nods at Rickart.

A young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes muses, "So, what exactly would be the appropriate reaction when you see someone taking something out of your pocket?"

Kinaed claims, "We can fix it up staff wise"

Takta says to a young, ebon-haired man with light green eyes, "Just keep in mind if the IC situation makes sense to notice: RP should always matter, not solely code. Then react as your PC would. :)"

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes says, "RP over code imo. If it makes sense in the RP start wailing. If it doesn't, probably don't. What Takta said"

Takta claims, "Which could be shouting, calling the Reeves, punching someone, indifference, etc."

Kinaed finishes abruptly, "(sorry to push for a move-on, I'm just noticing the time, and I think we can improve it as staff - and I think this convo is going to get unnecessarily heated) :)"

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes nods.

A person wearing a grey linen cloak advocates punching.

Kinaed asks of Samantha, "You had a question? :)"

Samantha trails off, "Sorry, was doing some checking on an alt in regards to my question... so my question is with the introduction of secrets... well frankly I would like to see secrets transfer to astral as well... currently, and i just checked it, if your character has a secret on their list, and they go astral it doesn't show up in astral"

Azarial states, "You can also pursue the pickpocketing after the scene"

Takta muses, "You can't open doors in the astral, can you?"

Azarial says, "No"

Samantha claims, "But not all secrets are doors that require opening"

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes muses, "Some secret exits aren't closed doors though, I think?"

Kinaed states, "Okay, thanks for raising that to our attention - I think that was just overlooked."

Takta says, "Yeah, but it's a related point."

Kinaed questions, "Bug it?"

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes trails off, "I wanna be a mage who can whisper into normal folks' ears from the astral..."

Kinaed states, "I know the change to secrets wasn't well loved. I want to thank people for rolling with it."

Samantha trails off, "Will do kinaed..."

Kinaed states, "Also, since we have a few minutes towards the end, I think it's worth telling players about the staff meeting we had last week."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes listens

Takta says, "We're still tweaking the grid bit by bit with one-way secrets and secrets easier to find (i.e., search auto-succeeds) and replacing 'lost' hidden exits."

Kinaed says, "As some of you may recall, I'm taking a course on gamification. This has resulted in my asking questions, getting a non-MUD player to playtest the game and provide feedback, etc. One question I asked was about what people found to be fun about TI and what wasn't."

Kinaed says, "Now, I don't know how skewed the OOC Chat was towards individual views as opposed to community views, but it seemed like people wanted more 'long lasting' results to come out of RP."

A fair haired vavardi man with sapphire eyes states, "Right"

Emma claims, "Hummm. Within reason, definitely. Core themes remain, but some things changing permanently would be great."

Kinaed states, "In particular, we have a massive quest like the flood of Lithmore or the plague, and once it's no longer being actively run by staff... things just return to normal. No long term effects, etc."

Kinaed nods at Emma.

Kinaed states, "So the staff have decided to experiment."

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion says, "That has always been my biggest complaint, yes."

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion says, "On the other hand, I've created some major change."

Kinaed says, "Experiment with meaningful decisions and plots that change the face of Lithmore permanently."

Tomas claims, "Well 'long lasting' I kind of meant like just these big epic stories that do have the potential for long lasting things, but things that will build into these great stories and really big shared experiences like the flood"

Terryn wonders to Kinaed, "So like alot less southside npcs as a reslt of the plague type thing?"

Kinaed states, "You'll notice there's a plot about the Edessan Refugees up."

Kinaed claims to Terryn, "Things like that, yes."

A short girl with curly brown hair begins to count their money.

Kinaed nods at Tomas.

Kinaed claims, "I'd like to tell you that this is an experiment, and I'd love to see players get involved."

A short girl with curly brown hair claims, "SOunds fun."

Emma states, "As far as I know we've been blocked ICly from being able to access the camp as of now. :("

Rickart muses, "How do I learn what is going on and how to be involved? Besides asking about it IC, it's also being driven by that plots board?"

Kinaed states, "Staff are roughly seeing two major possible outcomes to the plot, which are diametrically opposite. Depending on what you players decide to do, we'll activate one or the other outcome."

Kinaed claims, "And cross our fingers and pray that the game doesn't implode the way Atonement did, for example :)"

Emma states, "Ooooh."

Kinaed states to Rickart, "Yes, it's being driven by plot advances - because that's the only window staff have into people's activity around plots."

Rickart says, "Fun fact, shadows is using the atonement code and all our arrows are codedly 'jacketed hollow point' still"

Terryn claims, "Which one is edessan, when I type plot list I don't see the plots, just the plots that have been processed"

Rickart grins.

Takta states, "Just to note, we're prepared and willing to handle just about anything. For example, the golden fog in the plague plot? 100% surprising to me, not my plan, done wholly by a PC."

Kinaed claims, "If you don't do a plot advance to tell us about your RP, we might not know it happened."

Takta claims, "If you have the reasonable IC capacity to do it, we'll assess it."

Kinaed says, "Type plot header list - it's the Refugee plot."

Kinaed nods at Takta.

Rickart claims, "I haven't used it and have some questions about what constitutes and advance but I'll hit up visnet offline since it's just me being new to it"

Kinaed states, "Just remember - it's the OUTPUT of your RP, not a system to replace RP. Write up a plot advance when your character has had RP on the subject, not as a substitute."

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion says to Rickart, "I think there are a few people that could use a briefing actually."

Rickart says, "^ kin's last was a crucial primer "

Temi nods in agreement.

Kinaed says, "Type 'plot header review 20' and that's the intitial outline."

Rickart trails off, "So it's like cnoting but all under one ...don't hate me, old people ...all under one hashtag so staff can advance the communal effort"

Kinaed states, "On the IC_Event Board, you should see updates where applicable."

Kinaed is reminded to nudge her plot staff to write an IC_Event update.

Takta states to Rickart, "You submit your own actions via a plot advance and all the plot advances are taken into account by staff to drive the overall plot, yup."

Kinaed says, "This is our first practice with doing something like this, please be kind. If you're not getting enough info to feel like you can follow the plot, tell me."
Rickart nods.

Takta states, "We've had PCs go spy in the camp, provide them medical care, meet with their leaders, etc."

A slim, strawberry blond-haired man is idle.

Rickart says, "I was IC told to stay away by leadership, but I guess that's always the dilemma in muds, not wanting your subordinates to get killed but riskign boring them if you save the tough stuff only the most most experienced."

Terryn wonders, "When it says they are camped west of lithmore, do they mean past the Tarn mountains, or outside the city?"

Kinaed claims, "We've also seen letters to dukes, and other things for RP outside of Lithmore. Free RPA on this plot."

Takta claims to Terryn, "Just outside the city."

Emma states, "Thank god I moved."

Takta grins at Emma.

Kinaed says, "Their camp is physically present, you can go visit it ICly."

Rickart grins.

A slim, strawberry blond-haired man is no longer idle.

Emma coughs.

Temi grins.

A short girl with curly brown hair queries, "Wow! Where?"

Kinaed asks, "Okay, does anyone have anything else, or is it time to wrap up the meeting?"

Samantha raises hand "two quick questions.. first off what is atonement? Some other mud? second does the plot advancement just have to focus on current plots? I've seen some plot advancements that personally to me seem to have nothing to do with current plots, hence where some of my confusion on the whole plot command comes into play

Takta claims, "I believe you go west, north from the West Gate and then enter camp."

Takta says, "Those directions may be slightly off but it's in that neighborhood."

Takta states, "Maybe wwn."

Terryn questions, "Okay so how did they get past all of the baronies and whatnot? Especially with Farin(whom are known to be devout davites that don't lie *chuckle*) saying they were spies?"

Samantha asks, "Wasn't there a room in the west that already was like 'an old abandoned campsite?""

Takta says to Terryn, "Well, border security ain't as good in TI's world as ours. *grin*"

Kinaed says to Samantha, "Atonement was an RP mud that apparently did some massive plot advances. Ultimately the staff got tired or something and did an armageddeon-style kill the mud off plot and shut it down as the final chapter."

Takta claims, "There's a lot of wilderness out there, even within settled baronies/marches."

Temi claims, "The plot advance system can be used for general RPA stuff and investigations, but it's free RPA for stuff that would normally be QP-costing RPA if it's related to staff-run plots."

Kinaed states, "Plot advancements aren't just about current plots, but generally speaking, staff are only obligated to activate and run current plots."

Takta says, "You can do a plot advance if you just want to affect the various city metrics, for example (type city update to see)."

Rickart muses, "So if you need a primer on who these people, why they're refuged, etc...?"

Takta says, "Er, city report, sorry."

Kinaed says, "Right now, we provide free investigation RPA through plots, but we're recognizing that we have to limit that a bit and will probably be looking to City Metrics to say how often people get free RPA."

Terryn claims, "Someone needs to make/play an Underground Railroad 'conducter'"

Samantha asks, "Ah ok... so if a plot advancement isn't towards a current plot it isn't free right?"

Kinaed says, "But we need to do some chatting around that."

Temi claims, "There's a basic description in the header plot."

Takta says to Rickart, "The Daravi are a mage-accepting empire we have been at war with on and off for centuries."

Rickart nods at Temi.

Temi says, "Plot header review 20"

Takta states to Rickart, "In 349 we invaded, claimed part of their empire and named it the March of Edessa."

Kinaed says to Terryn, "If you want to know how they did it, I'd recommend ICly investigating that with plot advancements."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes states, "Say you're a Lithmorran mage. You manage, somehow, to make it to Daravi."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes wonders, "How likely are they to accept you?"

Takta states, "However, the war did not progress well, and in 363 or so the Throne decided to retreat."

Terryn declares to Kinaed, "Good point!"

A person wearing a grey linen cloak queries, "Is there a helpfile with population stats for the city?"

Takta claims, "This meant that the citizens of Edessa who had converted had to find somewhere to go."

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion claims to a whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes, "Go there and find out? :P I think there is a history of acceptance and killing both."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes trails off, "Damn it Sameer..."

Takta says to a whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes, "Nobody really knows, yeah."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes claims, "<3."

Kinaed states to a whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes, "Good question; probably not very likely. You're Lithmorran, your culture, etc, is different and you're at war. Even as a mage, you were raised Davite."

Takta claims, "Daravi is mysterious and very difficult to reach."

Terryn says to Kinaed, "Can we eventually get a plot to bring the oriental race back? If it works that way I mean."

Takta claims, "Only three or four(?) mountain passes to Farin allow transit between the two."

Kinaed states, "Do they need more mages? It's not like everyone is one."

Rickart claims, "Ahh...So Edessa is back in Daravi hands, Daravi are still the big baddies, but there are some Davite converts so now they're coming up as refugees, which is why they're not utterly shunned as being Darani from the get-go, since they might be converts"

Samantha arches brow "Oriental race?"

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion claims, "Please no return of the Torishiro. x.x"

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes says, "OH hey, secondary question"

Takta states to Rickart, "Yes, in a nutshell."

Terryn states to Samantha, "There used to be one"

Kinaed says to Terryn, "I think the Toroshiro were generally viewed as undesirable by the populace at large, but I can poll it."

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes questions, "We have the basic "look" for races. What does a Daravi tend to look like?"

Azarial says, "The toroshiro have long since been retconned out."

Samantha nods "Had no idea."

An aquiline-nosed man of a dark umber complexion says, "If we need to introduce new races, not Cliche NotAsian."

Rickart nods.

Kinaed claims, "The Vandagans are vaguely oriental, though more in the mongolian style than Han Chinese or Japanese equivalents, though we are talking fantasy realm."

Terryn just wants Katanas.

Terryn states, "And ninjas"

A slim, strawberry blond-haired man declaims, "What Kin said!"

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes shudders

Takta claims to a whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes, "I believe Daravi are dark-skinned but typically paler than Farin."

Tomas states, "I think we should introduce good old boys in cowboy hats"

Kinaed trails off, "We're almost 10 min over the end of the chat. My kids are stirring for attention..."

Rickart nods.

Tomas states, "With southern drawls"

A whip-cord lean Vandagan man with sea green eyes states, "Interesting."

Azarial would rather an Ulfberht.

Takta says, "Not as large as Fariners, either. Typically seen as middle-eastern/Arabic."

A person wearing a grey linen cloak claims, "Thanks for the meeting."

Kinaed says, "Thank you everyone for coming; please bring your thoughts and continued questions to next week's OOC Chat :)"
Lurks the Forums

Rhothrian

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:24 pm

Pickpocketing Failure and IC Reaction.

Someone mentioned that it was annoying for people to start yelling that they’ve been pickpocketed after code has given the feedback that the thief failed their roll. So, when the question was asked about what is the appropriate response for noticing that you are being robbed, I was told that it’s the rp that matters, not just the code. Eh? This doesn’t sound right at all. Why even train the skills to steal if you can simply attempt to take things at will by crafting a clever cover story? Can I win a fight because my emotes are well written? Do I automatically succeed at crafting because I’ve made outstanding long and short descriptions before the skill roll? With all due respect, if you want to get away with crimes and not have people react in a realistic manner when you fail then you should train harder to make that happen, or pick easier targets.

I don’t play a thief here. Is there a skill to evaluate your stealing skill vs. the wisdom/perception of a mark? This might be a good way to determine how hard it will be to steal from your intended target. Also if you can’t pull it off without failure feedback you should be looking for a mentor to teach you and or a friend to practice on before trying it on people too perceptive to be easy victims. Npcs who are on average much lower in skill and statistics than player characters should serve that need.

Pretending not to see a pickpocket attempt happen makes little sense to me. It smacks of setting the target up for failure to make someone else happy. However, if for some reason they two parties agree to role-play this out for some reason that is their business. For example, perhaps they feign ignorance until a reeve stumbles across the scene so the rogue doesn’t run, or they intent to make an attempt to follow the thief for a while. I don’t know what the current mechanic is, other than success or failure but below are some things that would make the process more logical that what was suggested as appropriate behavior:

1. There should be a system in place to evaluate the chance of success against a mark

2. Depending on how badly you fail against a target, feedback should be succeed, fail the attempt or be seen failing the attempt. Successive attempts made will add difficulty to the contest and make it easier for you to be seen.

3. Steal from npcs who are evaluated as easy marks, until you have the skill to take from player characters. Player characters, whether they be freemen or noble are on average the top 10 % of the gene pool as adventurers. At least this is the way it is depicted in other fantasy platforms. Also, there should be a point where skill gain slows to a trickle if the target is too easy for you. Spreading out npcs across the city with varying difficulty would be a good way to make potential training available at every skill level.

4. Visibility, load, presence of npc guards, number of witnesses in the area, etc should be factors.

Lastly, is there something in the code that will enable a Reeve to investigate a crime like pickpocketing that has happened in a room, or can a character unfamiliar to you simply run, do a quick description change and get away?

• Information