Log of OOC meeting 1/17/2015

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Tremere

Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:49 pm

Kinaed says, "Today's Agenda is:

- Staff Updates
- Player Topics
- Plot Discussion"

Kinaed wonders, "Does anyone have anything they'd like to add to the Agenda right now to ensure we discuss it?"

An unremarkable woman exclaims, "I only have a question!"

Kinaed states to an unremarkable woman, "Sure :)"

Kinaed has transferred Orlando dul Cavallari. [OOC]

Kinaed gives a scantily-clad brass-crowned male doll clutching a scepter to Orlando dul Cavallari.

An unremarkable woman queries, "I seem to recall us usually having player heartbeat on the agenda. What happened?"

When Shasa le Dumitru tugs on the doll's left arm, the right makes an obscene gesture with a rather suspiciously-shaped scepter.

Kinaed says to an unremarkable woman, "We only have an hour and added Plots. The Player Heartbeat information often comes out in other ways or fits fine into Player Topics, so I didn't think we were losing a lot."

Kinaed asks of an unremarkable woman, "Are you merely curious, or did you want that back?"

An unremarkable woman says, "I was just curious. It usually sparks chatter that ends up going beyond our scheduled time. :)"

Kinaed nods at an unremarkable woman.

Kinaed states, "I might still ask the question. :)"

Kinaed states, "Okay, for staff updates - I'll kick off. I wrote the spec for appearance to become a purchase-able item during chargen instead of being solely charisma calced and passed it to Azarial. I don't think I did much else. "

Kinaed claims to Azarial, "You're up."

Kinaed says, "Azarial is also flagged AFK, so if no response in a moment or two, we'll move to Takta."

Kinaed claims to Takta, "Okay, mind giving your update? We can go back to Az later if he shows, or I can do a synopsis off the change board."

A slim, strawberry blond-haired man questions, "Is the cost of appearance points listed anywhere?"

Takta claims, "Kk."

Kinaed states to a slim, strawberry blond-haired man, "Not yet, I'll be updating help files today."

Takta trails off, "Things I didn't do this week: Remember to write an official list of the stuff I did. Things I did do..."

Takta says, "The plague plot is officially wrapped now, thanks to all for their participation. :D"

Takta states, "I took on a number of new projects, small and otherwise, mostly behind the scenes stuff. The most notable thing there is I'll be handling woodworking now and I plan to make that my number 1 priority."

Takta says, "I also officially committed to remaining on staff as my 1-month trial ended Jan 15th... hence the rather public disgrace of a certain former Regent."

When Shasa le Dumitru tugs on the doll's left arm, the right makes an obscene gesture with a rather suspiciously-shaped scepter.

Takta says, "Alternative Religion work is coming along nicely - another plug for the forum thread!- and I should have a Path of Fire write-up quite soon."

Kinaed states, "I'd like to add that we're very excited that Takta chose to stay with us. Thank you, Takta, for lending your skills and time to the staff once again."

Takta states, "Oh! Also, re: player comments on the zombified animals, I'm working on an alternative idea to address animal corpses/corpserot/decay/etc."

Takta grins at Kinaed.

Takta claims, "Thanks."

Takta declares, "That's it for me!"

An unremarkable woman says, "I really enjoyed the plague plot. I am curious to see what developments the dead rising makes."

Kinaed nods at an unremarkable woman.

Shasa le Dumitru claims, "I was a big fan of the plague as well"

Takta claims, "Yay. <3"

Takta says, "I'm glad folks enjoyed playing in it as much as I did running it."

Kinaed claims, "Oh, Takta's update reminds me - Nedyra has officially stepped down from staff due to a heavy IRL time burden with school."

Kinaed states, "I'm not sure if we'll be looking for new staff in the near future or not, but we'll keep people posted."

Kinaed trails off, "Okay, I guess I'll take a stab at telling everyone what Az has been up to..."

Kinaed has transferred Shaylei le Orban de Roldan. [OOC]

Samantha ab Vortina ponders "I was wondering why he hadn't been around that much lately. Makes sense."

A slim, strawberry blond-haired man claims, "Plague was great"

Kinaed says, "Az primarily has been working on Throwing and Ranged combat, but she has fixed a lot of bugs. A few were silly things like a char logging in and getting over 100 on their charisma max, there was a burn bug which I'm not sure if it's completely tested, and we're working on finalizing Sacrifice. Purchase appearance apparently was easy enough to be a 'distraction project' (the tiny things done when a big spec feels a bit like it's dragging)."

Kinaed has transferred Tamarion ab Keswick. [OOC]

Kinaed gives a scantily-clad brass-crowned male doll clutching a scepter to Tamarion ab Keswick.

Takta has transferred Gerolf. [OOC]

Kinaed says, "Okay, that's it for staff updates."

Kinaed queries, "So, Player Topics - no one raised anything in particular, so maybe we can go with Sedore's question from earlier - how's RP been this week, folks?"

Shasa le Dumitru asks, "The dead animals becoming zombies. is that going away? it seems like such a good thing so that the poor knights don't have to just wait for mages to pop up"

Kinaed says, "Oh! That's the announcement I forgot - due to a reduction in the % of populace that are mages, we've opened mage creation in chargen."

An unremarkable woman declares, "Whoo! Sacrifice :D"

Samantha ab Vortina ponders this question "RP this week has been interesting. Been a bit more active than I have been in awhile..."\

Takta claims to Shasa le Dumitru, "We actually had unhappiness from the Knights about it."

Kinaed claims to Shasa le Dumitru, "Yes, we're going to move to a decay system."

Kinaed nods at Samantha ab Vortina.

Shaylei le Orban de Roldan claims, "Ohhh *rubs hands together*"

Kinaed asks of Takta, "Do you have an update about where Sacrifice is at, since I know it's your and Azarial's mutual work?"

Samantha ab Vortina asks, "Wait... didn't they always use to decay?"

Karrina ab Vazien claims, "I certainly have been hearing things about it."

An unremarkable woman claims, "RP has been great. Lots of love, lots of conflict."

Takta states, "Sacrifice is currently waiting on the ability to learn recipes from books."

Takta states, "But the recipes exist. I'm not sure how it sits on the code side otherwise."

Samantha ab Vortina asks, "Also isn't sacrifice tied to magecrafting?"

Kinaed states to Samantha ab Vortina, "Nope, we had problems with decay back in the day, which is part of why we created other systems."

Shasa le Dumitru muses, "Presumably, sacrifice is a mage thing?"

Takta says to Samantha ab Vortina, "Not exactly."

Takta says, "Sacrifice is an unskilled recipe, i.e., anybody can do it."

Karrina ab Vazien muses, "So it is going to be like the old research skill?"

Takta states, "However, you will have to read a book to find out how."

Takta states, "Not like research - you'll literally have to physically read a book."

Takta says, "(A specific book.)"

An unremarkable woman asks, "So Sacrifice will not be exclusive to magecraft no more?"

Samantha ab Vortina states, "And sacrifice if i remember correctly just allows a mage to be sacrficed so another non-mage can gain their power, or something along that lines.. and good to know kinaed, I assumed that as long as a body was buried it would decay"

Takta states, "Sacrifice has never been exclusive to magecraft, but yeah, it won't be."

Takta claims, "Mages can use it to increase their power. Non-mages to become mages."

Kinaed says, "Sacrifice allows any player to become a mage by killing another player that they've established a relationship with."

Shasa le Dumitru claims, "Oh man."

Shaylei le Orban de Roldan asks, "Can you explain the 'non-mages to become mages' part?"

Samantha ab Vortina questions, "And how exactly would it increase a mage's power? I imagine they still can't go beyond the fifth circle"

Shaylei le Orban de Roldan trails off, "Hm. That sounds pretty obviously evil..."

Takta states, "Yeah, pretty heinous stuff."

Samantha ab Vortina trails off, "Well it is suppose to be evil... I mean sacrifice in itself is a rather big taboo"

Gerolf trails off, "Oh man..."

Kinaed states, "We haven't worked out the step for mages to increase their powers through sacrifice and may decide not to as we'd be building in bait for people to play serial killers."

Kinaed nods at Samantha ab Vortina.

Shaylei le Orban de Roldan states to Samantha ab Vortina, "Yes, I understand that sacrifice is evil."

A slim, strawberry blond-haired man asks, "Will sacrifice play a part in non-mage stuff... maybe with the new religions?"

Shaylei le Orban de Roldan trails off, "But it does sort of cut out the possibility of becoming a mage for someone who doesn't want to send their character down a dark road..."

Takta states, "Well, we're not adding any new religions, per se - just fleshing out and detailing the existing ones."

Kinaed claims, "We're looking for a purely evil way for regular people to become mages if they were not mages before. Technically, they read a book to get the recipe to know how to do it, then they follow the recipe, which includes a ritual killing."

Kinaed nods at Shaylei le Orban de Roldan.

Takta claims, "Sacrifice as written is probably a bit too dark for any existing religion."

Kinaed says, "It does, and that's intentional. You can be mage born or you have to do some dark stuff to get power."

Orlando dul Cavallari claims, "Spirits of Light. Kill something, eat its heart, gain its powers. ... also makes that 'religion' semi-relevant, heh."

Kinaed nods at Orlando dul Cavallari.

Gerolf trails off, "So how will closeness be defined? Presumably it is someone you don't get the unfamilier bonus from any more..."

Kinaed says, "I didn't think of the connection."

Kinaed nods at Gerolf.

Shasa le Dumitru claims, "Well. i'm excited. *grin*"

Kinaed claims, "It's not a great deal of XP, but it will have to be someone you've RPed with more than casually. IE, we don't want people targetting cyans, etc."

Takta states, "Might be it could work with FoSoL; gotta do SOMETHING with Spirits when we get there."

Kinaed gives a scantily-clad brass-crowned male doll clutching a scepter to Sameer de Ashimid.

Samantha ab Vortina states, "Even if they targetted cyans I would hope staff would be there to rectify it"

Orlando dul Cavallari claims, "Presumably there would be ways to add duplicity and the veneer of decency to a ritual killing, especially if it's done out of a misguided sense of honor or justice"

Kinaed states, "Yes, but it's easier to prevent it than to fix it once it's done."

Gerolf says, "And I assume the same 24 hour cnote policy will still exist since it is a Pkill."

Shasa le Dumitru says, "I like that it adds validity to the order's claims"

Kinaed claims, "Given the ritual involves drawing chalk all over the ground, creating a dagger for the purpose of killing, etc, I don't see a veneer of decency being easy to apply."

Kinaed nods at Gerolf.

Shasa le Dumitru trails off, "Magery is SUPPOSED to be dark and evil and taint. if you have to do this kind of thing to attain it..."

Orlando dul Cavallari claims, "I thought magery was supposed to be ambiguous."

Sameer de Ashimid states, "Ambiguous for sure."

Sameer de Ashimid claims, "It is people that are evil or good, regardless of Order teachings."

Shaylei le Orban de Roldan nods at Orlando dul Cavallari.

Kinaed claims, "I don't think all mages have to be, but I am sort of toying with the idea that people who come in from this path, or even mages who do it, might get a boost in that, rather than being a naturally elemental mage, they might be 'all' elemented mage since the ritual does cover all of the elements."

An unremarkable woman claims, "On the topic of Sacrifice - I have wondered that, if it is used to increase a mage's power, will it simply add to their pool or give direct ranks? I'm assuming that has not been fleshed out yet."

Shaylei le Orban de Roldan states, "I don't think it's supposed to be -essentially- evil; it is only presented that way by the Order. A very small portion of mage spells are actually really evil."

Kinaed states, "The only issue I see with it is that it'd make some comparatively badass mages out there, and I don't know what they would mean for the game."

Sameer de Ashimid pulls on a t-shirt that reads, 'The Taint of Magic Made Me Do It!'

Takta claims, "Yeah, I think we need to think about that a lot."

Takta claims, "Especially if the ONLY way to get that significant badass edge is through killing other PCs."

Kinaed claims, "In practical terms, that means that rather than having to find spells, meet with other mages to get spells, etc - the mage would just automatically know the spells from all of the elements the moment their skills were high enough to use them."

Samantha ab Vortina arches brow "I truly hope you wouldn't make it so that mage is 'all' elements, because that just seems kind of cheap

Kinaed says to Takta, "I rather like it since it links evilness to being power hungry."

Kinaed says, "It's one hell of a shortcut and one hell of an advantage."

Shaylei le Orban de Roldan nods at Kinaed.

An unremarkable woman states, "Hell I certainly -would- kill to be a multi-element mage."

Takta claims, "I like to encourage evil that doesn't kill people."

Takta says, "Personally. *grin*"

Sameer de Ashimid says, "Idea: The sacrifice should have to be someone with whom there is a significant bond of some sort. (ie, a faily decent familiarity level)"

Kinaed states to Takta, "That's cause you're heaps nicer than I am."

Orlando dul Cavallari says, "But no one cares about dead NPCs, heh."

Samantha ab Vortina agrees with takta on this

Kinaed claims to Sameer de Ashimid, "It already requires a decent bond. A person will know if they've groomed the relationship up high enough though; you can test it, if i recall correctly, and get a message about whether the bond is good enough."

Sameer de Ashimid says, "Okay. *late to conversation*"

Kinaed states, "I think it might add an element of paranoia to the game that we've been sadly missing for a long time."

Shaylei le Orban de Roldan plans to adopt an orphan and then kill them after a certain amount of time?

Tomas says, "I really don't want to incentivize just killing people to gain more power. One thing I like about this game is that i see it using other methods for PC interaction/conflict than just bang bang you are dead"

Takta claims, "I don't think the game is lacking in paranoia in my experience, but admittedly I'm sensitive to such things."

Shaylei le Orban de Roldan nods at Tomas.

Orlando dul Cavallari states, "If you're really evil, Kinaed, you'd grant an even bigger boost if the person was a blood relative - ooh, or orphans. Now that's one way to enforce population control."

Takta says, "I like incentivizing PCs to conflict, but not necessarily to kill."

Shaylei le Orban de Roldan grins at Orlando dul Cavallari.

Tomas claims to Takta, "Indeed"

A slim, strawberry blond-haired man nods.

Shaylei le Orban de Roldan was born to be a megalomaniac.

Kinaed muses, "Well, rather than spend this meeting arguing about something I'm just considering, shall we look at other stuff?"

Kinaed wonders, "Firstly, anything going on at the moment that people are concerned about and want to see staff do something about?"

Takta says, "Hee, right."

Kinaed exclaims, "Hehe, okay, I'll take the silence as 'all is wonderful!'"

An unremarkable woman states, "Yes. All's well. I'm really happy that the never-ending Pillar of Water bug got fixed."

Kinaed smiles.

Shasa le Dumitru claims, "I'm, erm, loving playing the noble. still shocked you guys actually gave me one. (random comment)"

Kinaed states to Shasa le Dumitru, "It was actually the best app of the several we received."

Shasa le Dumitru grins.

Kinaed states, "The others were good too, but it was really superior and ranked #1 across all staff members."

Kinaed states, "Well, if there's nothing on people's minds about he game - now comes time for the Plot Discussion."

Kinaed claims, "SPOILER WARNING: We may discuss things that have happened or will happen that contain spoilers. Those of you who don't want to be spoiled, please let us know so we can sned you back to your regularly scheduled RP. The Scribe will stop the log at this point as well."

• Information