Log of OOC Meeting 9/27/2014

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Tremere

Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:05 pm

Temi muses, "So, our agenda today is 1) staff updates, 2) player heartbeat, 3) player topics.. does anyone have any topics they'd like to get on the list now?"

Karrina ab Vazien leans over and stage whispers to Temi while gesturing to Terryn dul Valistovos. "He has a package that makes a horse look tiny."

Noah Reed says, "Ew."

Temi says to Karrina ab Vazien, "That sounds awfully awkward. The couriers must hate him."

say that is not a topic I want to discuss eww

Tomas says, "That is not a topic I want to discuss eww"

Nedyra trails off, "That must make shopping for clothes a treat..."

Terryn dul Valistovos nods, " I shipped my house from vavard."

Temi says, "Okay! So, I'll start with my update."

Temi claims, "I've bought a house so will be on the process of fixing up and moving, so might not make OOC meetings reliably for a month or so"

Vanit Lorat states, "Congratz"

[OOC] KarBer: "You know your soon is hyperactive when he out lasts the puppies."

Temi says, "But, I have made some progress on jeweling, putting in some ingredients. I still need to determine if I want any other special things, but will continue working slowly on that."

Noah Reed says to Temi, "Wooot! :D For the house. But also for jeweling."

Noah Reed says, "But mostly for the house."

ooc off
OOC channel is now OFF.

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes claims, "Yay for both. Too bad you couldn't just recruit some wood workers from game to finish your renovations"

say awesome Temi :)

Tomas says, "Awesome Temi :)"

Terryn dul Valistovos says to Temi, "Nice :D congrats"

Temi states, "And I've also been discussing with folks how we want to handle the monarchy in general. We can make that a discussion point if people want after the rest of everything. If not, it's on the forums, please give your input."

Temi pontificates, "Okay, Nedyra!"

Nedyra claims, "I've been splitting what projects I have with Xinoe, in between getting her aclimated. she hasn't broken yet. *makes a note to try again*"

Karrina ab Vazien muses, "Has she broken the game yet?"

Nedyra says, "However, the major thing coming down in the immediate future: woodworking. The merchants got a note about that this morning. I see a few with an interest in the crowd."

Nedyra claims, "If you want to stick around after the meeting, we'll hash that out roughly then. And that invitation's open to anyone who's not with the guild as well."

Karrina ab Vazien snaps her fingers. "I almost forgotten about that."

Terryn dul Valistovos offers his help as 'Super Annoying Guy' to Nedyra in trying to break Xinoe.

Noah Reed will be there.

Nedyra claims to Karrina ab Vazien, "Breaking the game is one of my many jobs. And I haven't done that yet this week. Been kinda busy."

Temi states, "I probably won't still be around for that one, but trust you guys will get the important stuff sorted."

Temi grins.

say I'll probably send my alt up here for it, but yeah I'll be there

Tomas says, "I'll probably send my alt up here for it, but yeah I'll be there"

Temi queries to Nedyra, "Anything else?"

Nedyra says, "Other than that, it's been pretty routine. A lot of what I'm in the middle of is long-term."

Temi nods.

Nedyra says, "So, that's me out of the way."

Temi declares, "Okay.. Xinoe!"

Xinoe states, "This past week I cleared off the typo board including looking for strange, blank ones submitted by ghosts. Like the ghost themselves, the typos could not actually be found. I processed recommend requests and standard requests including some building of phomes and property shifting, and updated some help files such as help crafting. And, I gathered the points made during the last OOC meeting for a preliminary draft for a crafting policy."

Samantha ab Vortina smiles "Points from th last meeting... this sounds so official."

Temi nods.

Temi asks, "Anything else?"

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes questions, "Just to clarify by woodworking 'coming down', we mean additions/changes, not coming down as in removal?"

Terryn dul Valistovos reminds that someone wanted Clubs in woodworking.

Xinoe says, "No, nobody needs to hear about my accidental eating of the Reeves' Magistrate rank. This week I'd like to get a working draft of that policy together and to replace the king's forest and public lodge."

Temi states to a tall woman with sapphire blue eyes, "Porting over to the new crafting."

Terryn dul Valistovos comforts Xinoe, " I thought it was funny."

Temi grins.

Samantha ab Vortina muses, "And what are we replacing the king's forest with?"

Xinoe claims, "The king's forest."

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes muses, "Queen's forest?"

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes claims, "Aww."

Temi states, "The king's forest got sort of... eaten by Az."

Nedyra claims, "Same area, just getting it off the old grid."

Samantha ab Vortina smirks to a tall woman with sapphire blue eyes "You got what i was going for."

Noah Reed states, "Hooray for the return of the KF. :D"

Temi claims, "So replacing it will be putting it back."

Samantha ab Vortina looks to az "Shame on you Azarial, curb your appetite."

Samantha ab Vortina trails off, "Oh... they aren't here, i was under the impression azarial was here"

Nedyra states, "Nope."

Temi wonders, "Okay then... player heartbeat! How was RP this week? Any big problems? Anything the staff can do to help things along?"

Terryn dul Valistovos states to Samantha ab Vortina, "Azarial ate Azarial."

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes states, "Well, I'm back in and out. That's a thing. "

Samantha ab Vortina claims, "That would take skill terryn, and rp has been wonderful this last week"

say things have been... okay.

Tomas claims, "Things have been... okay."

Terryn dul Valistovos says, "Rp has been good, considering having someone castrated for crimes."

Aios Draiski says, "RP's picking back up a bit. Fall starting or whatever it is."

Temi says, "Well, that's always exciting."

Temi nods.

A fair-haired, petite girl with large blue eyes trails off, "RP was great... Yay, I said something!..."

Temi claims, "Good to hear."

Temi muses, "And nothing we staff can do to fix any big problems and such?"

Karrina ab Vazien queries to Terryn dul Valistovos, "Going to castrate yourself for naughty thoughts?"

Terryn dul Valistovos shakes his head to Karrina ab Vazien, " Nope."

Temi says, "I'll take that resounding silence as that we're perfect and should keep doing what we're doing."

Temi beams.

Maxwell le Wattkil is idle.

A fair-haired, petite girl with large blue eyes has returned from IAW.

Noah Reed claims, "Sorry, I'm IAW doing work. *grin* But I second those saying RP is picking up."

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes states, "Yaay. I look forward to not having the whittle system."

Terryn dul Valistovos states to Temi, "Theres a room in the HQ I need to get a key for, that's about it"

Temi muses, "Okay then! So, player topics... does anyone have anything you'd like to bring up and discuss?"

Noah Reed says, "I think talking about the monarchy stuff might not be a bad idea, at some point."

Nedyra says to Terryn dul Valistovos, "Catch up with me after chat if you can't get it on-grid, and I'll see what I can do."

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes queries, "I declare Noah king of Westeros.....er...Lithmore? "

Temi nods.

Temi says, "Let's discuss the monarchy stuff then."

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes claims, "Temi nodded, it counts"

Noah Reed claims to a tall woman with sapphire blue eyes, "Silly, that's my other suit."

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes queries, "To noah you have a -suit-? "

Temi claims, "So... we're sort of getting the impression that the bids system is not what the game needs, at least for that position."

Vanit Lorat has been transferred out by Temi. [OOC]

Karrina ab Vazien claims, "It may be useful for it if IP changes to what was discussed about last week."

Temi claims, "Kin is looking at ways to re-use it in a more RP friendly and less all-encompassing type of manner."

Temi states, "And we want to shift the GL of court to a more standard type of GL position. Since it's not really fair to them to have this bids thing."

Samantha ab Vortina arches brow "Um... how is it now fair? They essentially have the most powerful position in the game, aside from cardinal

Noah Reed says, "Because the GL of Court didn't even have to be a Court member before."

Noah Reed says, "Actual service and activity in the relevant guild didn't mean anything in terms of who GL'd it - totally different from every other guild in game."

Temi claims, "We think we do like the position of having the GL of court not be the monarch, but being something easier to switch out"

Temi says, "But terms are awkward."

Noah Reed nods.

Temi says, "So we were curious how people felt about the regency, and as we're changing things, if you'd like it to just be a constant, quiet thing in the backdrop or a source of plot... we can make things happen, or just sort of let it continue on offscreen and 'Oh, yeah, we have a queen', etc."

Samantha ab Vortina is all for the backgroundoffscreen

Karrina ab Vazien questions, "Perhaps when the Queen comes of age ICly, the court GL can move onto something like Seneschal?"

Noah Reed claims to Karrina ab Vazien, "That was my thought too. Seneschal or Keeper."

Temi states, "That's certainly one of the options that we're looking at."

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes claims, "Out of curiousity, I wonder how the political circles have been moving. If Southsiders have been becoming more politically active and displeased risking a sort of civil war/discontent, or if largely most players are ignoring various political activities"

Samantha ab Vortina wonders, "Wasn't that already the plan? but it will still be like 3 or 4 ooc years till that happens"

Noah Reed says, "I wouldn't say I feel there's a ton of politics going on."

Noah Reed says, "Most of what there is revolves around individual people and cases, and not 'blocs' like Southsiders as a whole."

Terryn dul Valistovos claims, "Personally I'm with something like what karr and noah say, make the ic gl something like Seneschal, the voice of the Monarch, but have the Monarch playable by pc's, but that gets weird"

Temi claims, "If the monarch is not the GL of court, they will probaby not be playable."

Maxwell le Wattkil is no longer idle.
Maxwell le Wattkil has returned from AFK.

Noah Reed states, "I think the Monarch should probably hang out offscreen and stay NPC'd, ultimately. We could get the same trouble from Dukes/Duchesses if we wanted it."

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes queries, "Sounds like if politics isn't terribly active, it might make sense to keep it as a backdrop sort of thing until enough interest bubbles up to make supporting political play more viable/relevant?"

Noah Reed states, "But the poll seems to say people want theme and constancy from the Throne, not trouble and plot."

Temi says, "Yeah, that's the impression I'm getting so far."

Rain says, "I haven't read the active threads on the forum yet so I'm reluctant to jump in on the conversation."

Temi claims, "So.. if you are not in that boat, definitely speak up and let us know."

Terryn dul Valistovos asks, "What about doing as another forum vote said and making the Monarch an imm?"

Samantha ab Vortina says, "I wasn't even aware that there was a forum post about it"

Noah Reed wonders to Temi, "Maybe it's worth floating some of your ideas for the alternatives, too?"

Temi states, "But right now I'm leaning towards that players don't want the monarchy as an active part of RP for the most part."

Noah Reed says to Terryn dul Valistovos, "Ooh, that makes me immediately shudder."

Noah Reed grins sheepishly.

Noah Reed states, "Not that I don't trust the staff or anything, but."

Nedyra states, "As a general rule staff don't take a direct involvement in RP. I don't see that changing any time soon."

Karrina ab Vazien says, "The monarch can be a NPC that can come out when needed for plots, and played by staff. With the court GL being an appointed position, it will be easier to sway public opinion enough for the monarch to switch out the GL like with the other guilds."

Temi states, "The staff 'are' the Queen now."

Temi states, "But we're not really going to play her."

Noah Reed nods at Karrina ab Vazien.

Rain claims, "Regarding constancy versus trouble, I think I've always felt that the monarch and head of the church more than any other defined roles had a primary job of supporting the status quo."

Temi states, "We have enough to do."

Temi nods at Rain.

Temi claims to Noah Reed, "Now, I wouldn't want to give away all my secrets."

Terryn dul Valistovos states, "Just have someone kill the Samaels, the new monarch sets up the rule as npc's or whatever *sage nod*"

Noah Reed says to Terryn dul Valistovos, "Right now the Samael Queen is conveniently an NPC."

Noah Reed grins at Temi.

Noah Reed states, "She'll be of age in a bit under 2 OOC years, I think."

Temi states, "I do have two plot ideas for how to cause trouble with the monarchy, if people wanted active RP from it and less 'good' monarchs."

Temi states, "But they aren't good fits for just maintaining status quo and letting RP go on as people are so inpsired."

Maxwell le Wattkil says, "You could always do to the castle what you did to the mages tower. :V"

Terryn dul Valistovos states, "The only problem I have with only making the Monarch an npc, is that the Cardinal is of equitable power. To balance it I think the Card should go npc as well, this might actually help with the ranking in the current Order."

Noah Reed states, "I do want more staff plot, but I think I'm with Rain in saying maybe the monarch should be status quo and trouble should come from elsewhere."

Maxwell le Wattkil states, "Meteor from SPAAAAACE."

A fair-haired, petite girl with large blue eyes trails off, "I think having the occasional IC policy change from the monarchy (trouble causing or otherwise) without an active monarch sitting on grid and RPing would be really neat..."

Noah Reed claims to Terryn dul Valistovos, "Somebody sugegsted that (was it you?) on the forums and I kinda liked it, tbh."

Temi nods.

Terryn dul Valistovos states to Noah Reed, "Not me"

Rain states, "Moving the monarchy from a PC-held position to something Staff held but not played seems fine, with the understanding that that role is justifiably quiet because it's busy dealing with the entire realm - and PC nobles or whatever system has been put in place to govern locally."

Noah Reed claims to a fair-haired, petite girl with large blue eyes, "We DO have a Regent who runs around changing policy now and again. :D"

Temi says, "Yeah, I'm wondering if that may be a good idea. That'll require some discussing with Kin. The Order is more of a baby for her."

Rain claims, "But- yeah. But because there are a few other top GL roles that are similarly defined (i.e. the top dog over all branches of a guild), it makes me wonder if the same shouldn't be done for other guilds. It's been done in the past, sort of, on other versions of the game - but staff were actually supposed to be reading mail and responding to issues as those NPCs and I think it was just too much extra work for little gain."

Nedyra claims, "We'd definitely need more staff than I think Kin would be comfortable hiring to pull that off reliably."

Noah Reed claims to Rain, "I really, really like that idea of saying the head honchos are too busy with the Kingdom as a whole so you don't contact them, just the local government."

Terryn dul Valistovos claims to Temi, "It won't be all bad, just the npc's lay down Court and Order law, the respective gl's of each are required to put it out to the public."

Noah Reed claims, "Then staff doesn't HAVE to respond to stuff as those NPCs except when RP needs a sanity kick in the butt."

Temi nods.

Temi states, "I'm not opposed to that."

Terryn dul Valistovos states, "And I like this, but am a bit sad that this means I won't get to play king :("

Noah Reed claims, "I do like giving the Court and Order Gls the same powers they have now - just, they should have bosses."

Nedyra says, "As it stands now, new laws and such need staff approval whether the one making them is the PC queen or her PC representative. So it wouldn't be much of a stretch, I don't think, to say the laws the court GL put forward still need a signoff from the queen. A.K.A. staff."

Noah Reed nods.

Samantha ab Vortina rubs forehead "So... let me see if i got this straight? Essentially what people are proposing is just make any first gl an npc, yet have a gl under them, but with essentially the same flippin powers, yet what is point if they have the exact same, or close to the same powers as they current do?

Temi claims, "Not quite"

Terryn dul Valistovos claims, "Oh and bidding could be used for laws that the Monarch or Cardinal are thinking of putting in place, letting people vote on it, and see what will get supported"

Noah Reed states to Terryn dul Valistovos, "We're not a representative government, though."

Terryn dul Valistovos is just trying to help.

Temi claims, "The kingdom wide positions would be more NPC/assumed, and then the 1st GLs are the head honchos in Lithmore"

Temi says, "For the bidding, we're considering a city council type set up with a revisit of the mayor idea."

Noah Reed claims to Terryn dul Valistovos, "I know! I mostly wanna speak up because it's a BIG misperception that keeps coming up when people talk about voices for Southside, etc; we're a monarchy. The people have zeeeero official legal say on government."

Samantha ab Vortina ok, understand that, but still if the 1st gls have essentially the same powers as they do currently... what is the point?

Temi claims, "Kin likes the idea of the city council set-up being the go-to for the city events system we're discussing."

Terryn dul Valistovos claims to Noah Reed, "Icly yes, but oocly no. Hence why bidding for regent is weird, icly you don't get a vote, but oocly you were."

A fair-haired, petite girl with large blue eyes states, "Public opinion is probably still relevant though, right? You'd want to know if something was grossly unpopular, or which groups it was popular among. "

Noah Reed claims to Temi, "I was hoping Court would get that."

Noah Reed claims to Temi, "A city council would sort of totally obviate Court since the game is only set in the city."

say I'm not sure if I like the mayor thing either. it reinforces this false idea of a representative government. and especially in the city that is the seat of the kingdom... I don't know that I like it

Tomas trails off, "I'm not sure if I like the mayor thing either. it reinforces this false idea of a representative government. and especially in the city that is the seat of the kingdom... I don't know that I like it"

Temi nods.

Temi states, "The idea isn't solidified yet, and that'll be going through Kin before anything becomes real."

Noah Reed queries to a fair-haired, petite girl with large blue eyes, "It's totally relevant, for sure! But not legally binding or anything, right?"

Maxwell le Wattkil asks, "To tomas You don't like the idea that the populace is sloowly gaining power, and eventually it would probably lead to something like France?"

Nedyra states to a fair-haired, petite girl with large blue eyes, "It kind of comes off more like, "Sure, you get a vote. It just doesn't count.""

A fair-haired, petite girl with large blue eyes states, "Definitely! Just, hm. It seems like it would be useful, even if the votes aren't used to determine the outcome, to have votes in place so those who decide what know who they're offending. Or who they're making happy."

sayto max I don't like major theme changes just to suit a system that we are struggling with and trying to find a purpose for
Tomas states to Maxwell le Wattkil, "I don't like major theme changes just to suit a system that we are struggling with and trying to find a purpose for"

Karrina ab Vazien says, "Mayors were mostly those in charge of ensuring that the proper taxes are collected and sent towards the capitol, and to settle the disputes that crop up in their area."

Noah Reed trails off to Temi, "Court struggles for relevance and I think a city council would be a huge blow to that. I wanna reiterate that because it -really- worries me. Also, trying to fill yet more governmental positions with our current slate of PCs..."

sayto maxwell because it's not based in actual rp
Tomas says to Maxwell le Wattkil, "Because it's not based in actual rp"

Temi nods at Noah Reed.

Maxwell le Wattkil raises his hand, chanting, "Liberte, egalite, fraternite!"

Nedyra is escentially tne NPc mayor already, then. Or at least his tax collector.

Terryn dul Valistovos wonders, "Wouldn't Justiciar cover mayor duties?"

Noah Reed exclaims, "We're 1300, not 1700, dangit!"

Nedyra claims, "Justiciar is more the city's police chief, if you're reaching for relevance there."

Samantha ab Vortina states, "This is painful to watch//read"

Maxwell le Wattkil states, "To Noah If only. I do love myself a good rebellion; If only they weren't so violent."

Temi says, "Okay. I think we've got a good feel for that and we're just getting into banter - and anything on the council ideas will have to come from Kin."

say I am with Noah I would like to see Court handle city council sort of things. it would give court something more to -do- and thematically I think would fit more

Tomas claims, "I am with Noah I would like to see Court handle city council sort of things. it would give court something more to -do- and thematically I think would fit more"

Karrina ab Vazien states to Nedyra, "Think more head of DHS."

Noah Reed nods at Temi.

Maxwell le Wattkil states to Tomas, "The issue with Court handling it is that it's a group of nobility sitting around trying to solve problems for people that aren't nobility."

Nedyra states to Karrina ab Vazien, "I figured that's be more the EM. Mage == terrorist, and all that."

Temi claims, "She has a more solid idea of what she's thinking there and how it will fit together."

sayto maxwell That was what it was like, it's thematic to the period
Tomas claims to Maxwell le Wattkil, "That was what it was like, it's thematic to the period"

Noah Reed states to Maxwell le Wattkil, "That's how feudalism... works, though. The lesser ranks aren't considered educated or capable enough."

Terryn dul Valistovos says, "I'm in disagreement with Court handling city council. I mean court is a collection of nobles representing their lands, city would be under other jurisdiction"

Noah Reed states, "And Court would certainly delegate things to the GLs."

Temi wonders, "Does anyone have any other topics they would like to discuss?"

Maxwell le Wattkil says to Tomas, "Yeah, I'm aware that thematically exists, but if we're going to keep it thematic, they would do a terrible job."

Maxwell le Wattkil claims, "Thus making it kind of pointless."

Rain states, "The council stuff is probably one of the tabs I haven't got to read yet."

Noah Reed claims to Rain, "Not anywhere on the forums, AFAIK."

Temi claims, "I may have just brought that up as a tangent, not anything she's ready to discuss yet."

Nedyra claims, "We're still taking donations for advertising, as a completely random topic change. Trying to bring in a few more warm bodies up in here."

Noah Reed states, "Poor Temi. Mentions a shadow of an idea and it gets pounced on. *grin* Sorry."

sayto terryn but the court in a particular city/region handles that city/regions things. the court of lithmore would handle things in lithmore. where as the court of vees would handle stuff in vees.
Tomas says to Terryn dul Valistovos, "But the court in a particular city/region handles that city/regions things. the court of lithmore would handle things in lithmore. where as the court of vees would handle stuff in vees."

Rain says, "Oh, okay. I'll wait."

sayto terryn yes the nobles are from all over but that doesn't mean that the court business is all about their business from all over

Temi muses, "So... no other topics for discussion?"
Tomas says to Terryn dul Valistovos, "Yes the nobles are from all over but that doesn't mean that the court business is all about their business from all over"

Rain questions, "Are people accidentally traveling through sewers because the exits are static unhidden?"

A fair-haired, petite girl with large blue eyes claims, "Yes."

Karrina ab Vazien claims to Terryn dul Valistovos, "That is the Royal Court which handles that."

Nedyra states to Rain, "I've seen reports of that, yes. It's being stared at. Hard."

Terryn dul Valistovos says to Rain, "I did once. Ned's got my log."

Temi nods.

Rain questions, "And if so, should we/can we request to have them hidden again when we stumble across them?"

Nedyra nods at Terryn dul Valistovos.

Nedyra states to Rain, "Please do."

Temi says, "We need a better way to handle secrets."

Noah Reed pontificates to Rain, "Oh yes! That happened to me. Wait, broken hidden exits can be fixed?!"

Nedyra states to Temi, "Az was mulling ideas re: that last week, afaik."

Noah Reed exclaims, "I thought it was permanently broken!"

Terryn dul Valistovos states, "It just feels that if Court handles the city, it makes some gl positions(like mine) irrelevent."

Maxwell le Wattkil says, "I once tried to travel to a place, and it wanted to take me through the sewers for the shortest route. x.x"

Nedyra states to Noah Reed, "Permanent in this case means until I catch wind of it."

Noah Reed states to Terryn dul Valistovos, "Court handles issues that are multi-guild."

Temi claims to Noah Reed, "They can be rehidden. But they won't do it automatically now tht things save over reboot."

Nedyra claims, "One of the things still on Az's plate."

Rain claims, "Cool, thanks. :)"

Noah Reed states to Terryn dul Valistovos, "If it's clearly law stuff, all yours, buddy. But if it's something bigger that isn't JUST law stuff, Court delegates the law part to the Reeves and, say, the medical part to the Physicians. For example, Court could have coordinated the joint Knight-Reeve Hillbeast hunt."

Noah Reed claims, "And kind of did, actually."

Terryn dul Valistovos claims, "Now that makes sense, icly and oocly, court are in charge of the other guilds, this would also allow when someone apps for a position, the court can vote to have them approved, if approved by staff already"

Maxwell le Wattkil states, "To Terryn You're basically the LAW MASTER. IF you want laws to be different, all you gotta do is write a ton of paperwork."

Nedyra states, "There are 121 known bugs on Azarial's desk atm. Hidden exits are probably hidden exit related."

Nedyra says, "Er."

Noah Reed states to Maxwell le Wattkil, "Actually, Court makes new laws, the Justiciar handles implementation and execution."

Nedyra claims, "Hidden exits are probably like... 4 of them."

Maxwell le Wattkil states to Noah Reed, "I didn't say MAKE new laws... Just 'be different'.."

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes is idle.

Noah Reed says to Maxwell le Wattkil, "I am 90% sure Court, via the Royal Council, also changes laws."

Terryn dul Valistovos will remain quiet.

Nedyra asks, "Anyway. Aside from the hidden exit issue, anything else that needs brought up here?"

Maxwell le Wattkil states to Noah Reed, "You're not getting the gist of what I'm saying here."

Noah Reed questions, "Re: hidden exits, maybe make crocs non-aggro til the sewers are 100% fixed, if they're not already?"

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes is no longer idle.
A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes has returned from AFK.

Rain queries, "Might be easier to put up a note suggesting people check their navigation routes for 'down' exits?"

Nedyra states, "Problem with that is a permanent fix to hidden exits is likely low priority."

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes queries, "Question about thematics. Do nobles actually have, or are they supposed to be instilled with a sense of noblisse oblige?"

Noah Reed states, "Oh, wait, I think I misunderstood."

Nedyra says, "But yes, I'll make a note for general consumption."

Noah Reed claims, "Sorry, I get the hidden exit thing now. My bad. "

Noah Reed claims to a tall woman with sapphire blue eyes, "Yes. Abusing those below them is a violation of their position."

Nedyra states, "We've got ten minutes left in the chat for any last topics."

Temi states, "The declarations are an important religious thing here."

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes queries to Noah Reed, "But do they care to improve the common experience and help raise up/improve the state of common peoples? "

Noah Reed claims to a tall woman with sapphire blue eyes, "They are supposed to, yes. Their duty is to take care of those below them. They're educated and raised with the skills needed to do so and the interest/morality... ideally."

Temi claims to a tall woman with sapphire blue eyes, "Law of charity in the declarations."

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes nods.

Noah Reed claims to a tall woman with sapphire blue eyes, "Of course it doesn't always work that way in practice. *cough* But that's the ideal cultural value, nobles as the superior protectors and all."

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes nods.

Temi states, "Raising them up is not appropriate, if you mean beyond their status of being common folks. But being common shouldn't be being miserable."

Temi states, "And of course, you'll be less miserable by being graced with the glorious presence of the nobility and being allowed to serve them."

Temi claims, "You shouldn't mistreat them, but treating them like they are below you is appropriate treatment, not mistreatment."

Noah Reed grins at Temi.

A tall woman with sapphire blue eyes says, "I didn't mean from their position as commoners, but raising them up out of the situation of being miserable and trying to understand why they're miserable."

Temi nods at a tall woman with sapphire blue eyes.

Temi claims, "Yes, the nobility are caregivers for their people."

Noah Reed states, "Almost even like parents."

Nedyra says, "That's exactly the comparison I was just about to go for, Noah."

Noah Reed claims, "In that they're responsible for you, they know better than you, and you dang well better obey them if you know what's right."

Temi nods at Noah Reed.

Temi claims, "Exactly."

Nedyra states, "Which is why it's well within their rights to have you tossed in jail for a couple days for disrespecting them."

Karrina ab Vazien says, "Makes it kind of creepy then when you think about those who wish to marry a noble."

Nedyra claims to Karrina ab Vazien, "Every society has a few."

Nedyra grins.

Samantha ab Vortina looks to Temi "So temi, since it doesn't seem like any other topics are being brought up, may I ask what the summary was regarding the whole glmonarch thing you brought up? You stated as if there was a general consensus and yet I'm completely unaware of what that consensus was, partly due to chatter and unable to follow.

Rain states, "As a player of the poor downtrodden, I'd like to note that it's important to balance IC and game reality. Meaning, PCs probably have more than enough money to actually make Southside sparkle and pull all low-class PCs out of the streets with piles of coin to spare. But then Southside wouldn't exist to play in and that would suck."

Maxwell le Wattkil claims to Rain, "I'm sorry, I'm jus' tryin' to help."

Maxwell le Wattkil sniffls.

Temi states to Samantha ab Vortina, "General leanings seem to be towards the monarchy being a quiet thing in the background, not a major source of plot, and the court GL can be a non-monarch of some flavor."

Noah Reed says to Rain, "Yeah, I try to remember that there are thousands of starving VNPCs."

Rain claims, "A lot of people are just trying to help and I'm glad they've got a windmill to tilt at."

Nedyra claims, "I see Southside as a sort of expression of class resentment, of sorts. It's why, escentially, non-freeman folks and folks who supposedly represent non-freeman folks get the evil eye when they cross the boundary."

Rain says, "It's just hard to play a beggar for long."

Temi states, "Please take time to discuss in the 'What do you want from your monarch?' thread and vote on the poll there."

Samantha ab Vortina nods slowly "Ah... well that makes sense, just was confusing people started talking about other gls and what not
Noah Reed grins.

Temi nods at Samantha ab Vortina.

Temi claims, "Yeah, nothing decided yet or action items for other GLs beyond discussing with Kin."

Maxwell le Wattkil questions, "...Huh, actually, wait a minute. If the Order gives away at least bread for free, why -are- there so many starving vnpcs?"

Noah Reed says, "Scale problems."

Temi states, "The Order gives away some bread for free."

Noah Reed says, "The Order's coffers aren't endless."

Temi says, "It doesn't feed every vnpc that is hungry every day."

Maxwell le Wattkil says, "Fair enough, but they could mount endless charities and fundraising for feeding the poor."

Noah Reed says, "And even just giving money to people doesn't solve poverty - they don't know how to invest it, only to spend it, in many cases. Chronic poverty makes you bad at making smart economic decisions."

Temi states, "And one loaf of bread a week is enough to make them more grumpy than anything."

Rain claims, "Hey now, I've invested just fine."

Nedyra claims, "Exactly."

Rain swims in her rum pool.

Aios Draiski claims, "We just get spinning rims for our carriages."

Nedyra unloads the rum pool.

Temi states, "Okay. Let's go ahead and call it here."

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:12 am

Read the above. Comments:

- City Council stuff is, as mentioned, a shadow of an idea, not resolved yet. It, and what any City Council may look like, is of less immediate concern than, for example, addressing the questions people have raised about the Royal Council. Personally, I've left it out of discussions and whatnot because I sort of feel like we might cause problems with multiple councils, and there's nothing synergestically in place to make a city council beneficial to the game.

- I don't personally see that the Court guild requires "relevance" beyond being the place nobles congregate. I think it's an interesting difference in function that most guilds are about professions and actively doing something with yourself, Court is about BEING something in particular. However, I agree with the statement by Terryn that, thematically, a noble is someone representing their lands, caring for their people, and representing their own self interest in the political arena. They are not, nor do they have to, specifically run the kingdom or do anything else. I get the sense that the push for relevance is more about giving them something to do RP-wise rather than representative of any IC thematic gap.

- Not to sound contradictory with the above, I *DO* like the idea of a CIty Council if there's game system infrastructure and backing to the council, whose purpose is to run the city. This is the sort of council I'd be far more inclined to think it makes sense for GLs to automatically partake in than a Royal Council, but there needs to be something in place to make them relevant - because we don't want to make the same mistakes in setting this up that we did with the nobility in that what they represent isn't real, has no game levers to RP about, etc. That said, I don't see any head butting with nobles, but rather see this sort of thing as something nobles can legitimately get involved in - along with everyone else. What I like about this structure is:

+ City focused instead of 'out of city focused' events
+ Anyone can get involved in city politics, not just nobility
+ Building systems to flesh out a city council set up by nature enriches the city

- The above said, a city council structure is NOT currently fleshed out, specced up, or decided upon. It is, as Temi indicated, a shadow of an idea, and not one that we're close enough to implementing to even seek ideas for. As a player, I wouldn't be too worried or worked up about it just yet.

Dice

Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:33 am

Kinaed wrote: I don't personally see that the Court guild requires "relevance" beyond being the place nobles congregate... I get the sense that the push for relevance is more about giving them something to do RP-wise rather than representative of any IC thematic gap....

because we don't want to make the same mistakes in setting this up that we did with the nobility in that what they represent isn't real, has no game levers to RP about, etc.
The more I thought about the city events, the more excited I got for them to come in, because AS Court GL it can be boring and not so fun to have a guild that doesn't HAVE relevance, a point, etc. Court may not have to have a point from any thematic sense, but from a game design standpoint, from making it worthwhile and interesting, we really WANT one! Especially BECAUSE the nobility doesn't get anything else from their position to RP about. We have a real hunger for purpose.

City events represent a really exciting possibility to give us that, and it would do so much for bored nobles who supposedly have governmental power to exercise but in practice, Kingdom-scale problems to exercise that power on occur once in a blue moon.
So 'giving' city events to Court to generally oversee would finally give us some of that 'coordinating multi-guild' and 'handling things that fall through the cracks' RP that I see as the best point to give the guild a raison d'etre. It also helps remedy the problem of nobles having no power/nothing to do.

But the downside to letting Court do it is that other people are excluded, which I totally get - other people want to handle city events, I'm sure. I would see this handled by Court serving as a delegatory body to go tell the relevant guilds/interested individuals to solve the problem. But if other people want to be directly involved in that phase, it does seem fair. (Though we have a shortage of people in leadership roles already.)

So I guess I'm saying... I feel like a city council is not particularly additive in value, and PCs who want to be involved with city events would almost certainly be involved even if Court served a delegatory role. But if we do end up with a city council, letting the Privy Council members at least sit on it would be really appreciated, to help Court feel like it has a purpose and give nobles some governmental RP.

• Information