Log of OOC Meeting 2023-04-29

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Erasmus

Mon May 01, 2023 8:53 am

Ghed wonders, "Before we begin, folks, here's a reminder of the OOC Chat Pact: Everyone on TI does
 the best they can, given what they know at the time, their skills and abilities, the resources
 available, and the situation at hand. We will be respectful of this and each other at all times."

Today's Agenda is:
   - Staff Updates
   - Player Heartbeat
   - Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today? If
 you register a topic, please pre-write it so you're ready to present it when called upon.

Finally, who wants to scribe for today?"

DrHimbopotamus exclaims, "I can scribe!"

Ghed nods at DrHimbopotamus.

Ghed claims to DrHimbopotamus, "Thanks"

Sue trails off, "I have a topic..."

Ghed has awarded you 2 QPs: scribe

Ghed nods at Sue.

Ghed claims to Sue, "Got you"

HIEROPHANT claims, "I also have a topic."

VivaLaVictoria states, "I have a tiny tiny tiny topic"

Ghed nods at VivaLaVictoria.

Ghed says, "Got you"

Ghed pontificates, "If anyone else thinks of something please tell me and pre-write!"

Ghed says, "Okay, time to start this week's Staff Update."

Ghed pontificates, "This week I deployed a new metric-scaled ambience generator, and did the usual
 requests. I also erased a lotta old, forgotten phomes to make space for new ones (we're running
 out of phome space!)"

Ghed says, "Thanks to Ahna for providing 95 per cent of the ambiance's echoes"

Sue claims, ":)"

Ghed thumbs up!

Ghed queries to Temi, "What about you?"

Temi states, "The usual plots and requests and such to the extent I can, though the week started
 off with me oncall at work and facing heavier stuff there.  Though I think I've finally about
 decompressed from it."

Ghed nods.

Ghed declaims, "Thanks for handling the plot's progress!"

Temi says, "Goal is to keep working on getting the plots moving and help close out some of the
 outstanding things."

Temi nods.

Ghed queries to Ilena, "And youuuuu?"

Deedee says, "Would like to get more into the plots, but been pulled into other things"

Temi says, "Totally understand these things happen"

Temi grins.

Deedee nods.

Ilena claims, "Hello! I did some phome stuff and organization this week, even if things got a
 little hectic."

Ilena declares, "I'll hopefully be able to help clean out all requests this weekend, and see what
 can be done on that front when it comes to more sorting things!"

Ghed nods.

Ghed states, "Thanks a lot for that"

Ghed states, "Eurus and Leta are bizzy bizzy but both were busy with magic stuff and diseases and
 being more useful than me"

Motherof begins to move east.

Motherof crosses the center of the room.

Motherof sits down.

Ghed asks, "Alright people, let's move on to Player Heartbeat: how has the week been for y'all?"

Tomato says, "Every scene I have keeps turning into politics, love it"

plague claims, "Work has been socially exhausting but I'm doing well, srry I haven't been around as
 much. RP has been good when I've had it though"

Dragor states, "Full of intrigue"

Ghed queries to Tomato, "Even when feeding your pet alone? dangerous"

Lans eyes Tomato warily

Konaa claims, "I pop up where I can, but I've been sick so I'm spacier than usual, sorry to anyone
 who noticed that"

VivaLaVictoria states, "I've barely been able to find any rp at all, so I just have been crafting
 like a fool."

Sue pontificates, "I have saved the Reeves from a world pre-xterm; our noticeboard is back outside
 cityguard HQ btw folks make sure to check it for my cool wanted posters and/or news!!!"

Nospeedy claims, "Find it hard to find people at times, but when I do I enjoy it."

Deedee claims, "It's always politics with pets"

Ghed queries to VivaLaVictoria, "Is that so? Can you imagine why?"

Dragor declaims, "I stopped being a little bit of a coward and it worked wonders. Thanks Ghed for
 encouraging me!"

Lisette exclaims, "I haven't been on as much as I'd like but the scenes I've had have been just
 great!"

RamblingSeert says, "The plates are spinning, the gears are grinding."

DrHimbopotamus says, "I've been scarce so have mostly been sending letters. Hoping to catch up with
 a lot of scenes."

Ghed declares to Dragor, "Glad to be of help!"

Kalana claims, "I've been a little slower this week, but all good on the whole"

VivaLaVictoria says, "My character is boring, probably :P"

HIEROPHANT says, "Bit of a lull this week, but lots of folks been taking a break, if the gen board
 is any indication"

Ghed pontificates to VivaLaVictoria, "Doubt it!"

Jackassaurus finishes abruptly, "Same - as I said busy life last few weeks"

Konaa states, "I also have been having trouble finding people out in the open, I'm still a little
 reluctant to intrude into places on where"

Ghed exclaims, "Seems like people have taken it slower this week! I noticed it too"

Yinadele pontificates, "Life busy... it's rough, but I'm excited for things!"

Deedee states, "Also busy, been trying to make as much time as possible for the game though."

DrHimbopotamus exclaims, "Folks on where wanna be bothered!"

Tomato trails off, "I've been doing a LOT of rp during work which is very... slow, it takes me a
 while to pose, so I have been avoiding inflicting myself on the public"

DrHimbopotamus states, "It's why where exists."

DrHimbopotamus nods at Tomato.

Tomato says, "Hate making people wait 30 minutes on me while I get a phone call"

Deedee nods.

Ghed asks, "Alright, is there anything bothering anyone about TI that can be shared here and now?"

Cal trails off, "Tomato lets connect since... that is what I end up doing lol"

VivaLaVictoria says, "Sad Bimbly is gone."

Motherof states, "Me too. :("

Deedee states, "Bimbles was fun yeah"

DrHimbopotamus says, "RIP bimbs"

HIEROPHANT states, "I will now reveal a deep and dark and terrible secret"

Arthur declares, "Oh there is one thing Ghed, I went out today and tried woodcutting, it was great
 except for the fact I could do it from horse back! :)"

HIEROPHANT says, "I am pof the bimbler"

HIEROPHANT says, "(it was probably very obvious)"

Lisette states, "Lmfao"

Temi grins.

Motherof says, "It was not, and we loved him. <3"

Temi claims, "There's always new adventures to continue on towards"

Ghed claims to Arthur, "Lol, okay, try not to"

Ghed nods at Temi.

HIEROPHANT pontificates, "His story took him out of Lithmore. I intend to write some books from his
 perspective, keep an eye on the bookstores now and again!"

Lisette claims, "Sadly I don't think I got to meet this Bimbles"

Deedee exclaims, "Will look forward to that!"

Motherof claims, "Awesome."

Nospeedy says, "Horseback woodcutting sounds rad and dangerous."

Ghed nods.

Ghed claims, "Okay"

Ghed claims, "Alright, time to move on to Player Topics."

Ghed states to Sue, "You are first"

Sue says, "I would like to ask, perhaps - or suggest - that guildleaders receive a small RPxp
 bonus; whether it manifests in a boost similar to what nobles or Orderites provide, or is just a
 small RPxp payout nightly like for mail and for thoughts, I have increasingly found I've needed to
 spend a lot of time doing no RP but guild upkeep."

Sue says, "Maintaining noticeboards, documents, doing busywork - all of it is thankless, and unlike
 other guilds where this mechanical busywork has benefits (a merchant working is getting gold out
 of the transaction, for example, for being locked in a room mass-crafting for an hour and
 stringing), I find that I either make myself unavailable for RP or have to wait until the crack of
 dawn to get it all done, which isn't feasible for anyone."

Sue states, "So, basically, I think GLs should get some sort of XP bonus of some kind to offset all
 the time you need to donate to non-RP generating guild upkeep; it contributes to the game and your
 own guild and other people, but not you, personally, which may turn some people off. And I
 personally cry when I take 3 hours doing mundane sorting and document writing and miss scenes
 because of it."

Ghed considers this

Motherof claims, "(merchant GLs have very little time to craft, just as an aside.)"

Ghed says, "I do remember as a GL spending half or more of my online time GLing without actual
 scenes"

Lisette claims, "I think it would be cool to give back a little to the people who are working hard
 to support the game <3"

Deedee nods.

Temi muses, "What would you think if it was with your guildmates specifically?"

Temi ponders.

VivaLaVictoria claims, "<3 guildleaders"

Tomato says, "Just be a worse GL, only RP never bookkeep"

Tomato states, "Works great for me"

HIEROPHANT claims, "I will note that nobles only provide RPXP to others, not themselves, as an
 addendum to that first bit."

Dreams states, "There is a lot of behind-the-scenes GL work required where scenes are nearly
 impossible, yes."

Ghed states, "(I welcome player opinions on this of course)"

plague says, "I'm in support of this idea. I've got some reservations, but being a GL is ooc labor
 that is rarely rewarded."

Dreams says, "But nobles RPing with nobles can get the benefit."

VivaLaVictoria claims, "Guildleaders are unsung heros and deserve all the good stuff."

Tomato says, "(Joking). I think that might not hurt honestly, or maybe bumping the GL silver bonus "

plague muses, "Maybe provide the reward for RP with guildmates or other GLs?"

HIEROPHANT claims to Temi, "I don't know that I want to incentivize people scene'ing in ghalls more
 than it already is, and that is from the perspective of a guild that already has to do that a lot."

Cal claims, "Its hard to be both a good a good RPer and good administrator unless TI becomes a
 second job"

Deedee nods in agreement.

Temi nods at HIEROPHANT.

Nospeedy claims, "I do have a opinion on GL Stuff, but more mechanical idea for another topic"

Temi says, "Though scening only in private with your friends and ignoring your guild is bad too."

HIEROPHANT claims, "I'd just make GLs get more XP from mail, myself."

HIEROPHANT says, "As a GL I noticed I get waaaay more mail."

Konaa claims, "Regardless of the game, leadership is always a demanding role in rp, and I think
 giving it an incentive would help.  Then maybe we can keep a Physician GL for once"

Dreams states, "As GLs do take on a political type position, I don't see them only scening with
 their own guild."

Sue states, "It doesn't even need to be huge, but it can help offset the time spent doing busywork.
 If it's like an, idk, whatever admins think is fair - 100, 200, 300 rpxp bonus nightly. Because
 unlike hierophant, I get very little mail, but am up to my neck in paperwork."

HIEROPHANT states, "Or, maybe not 'just', but consider adding that factor in. There's a lot more
 mail than I got before, anyway."

Tomato muses, "I admit, the guilds I've done I don't really have to do much admin, what sort of
 stuff are you doing?"

VivaLaVictoria claims, "And hang around any guildleader for half an hour and they will get three
 messengers :P"

Deedee says, "I've had little mail myself so far."

Sparkles is no longer idle.

HIEROPHANT claims, "Warrants, wanted posters, investigation records, I imagine, tomato."

Deedee asks, "What about QP rather than XP?"

Tomato says, "Brotherhood and Troubadours aren't exactly admin heavy :P"

Yinadele says, "QP could be a pretty nice option, esp since Guildleaders tend to need to invest in
 plots."

Sue says, "Evidence sorting, report labeling, posters, records, yeah, et al. I spent like 2 hours
 in evidence lockup the other day and 3 more fixing the boards in the HQ and the new public one
 outside lmao."

Konaa queries, "What, you didn't keep neat paperwork of all your thieving?  Color me shocked"

Nospeedy chuckles "I imagine Brotherhood is just be like 'Dont be a idiot.'

Sparkles says, "I feel like different times require different levels of admin. What is going on
 vastly changes how much work folks need to be doing."

HIEROPHANT says, "I imagine the Order has a lot of paperwork also, or at least Knights/Inquisitors
 do. Anything investigation-heavy. Sanctum does, frankly."

DrHimbopotamus nods at Yinadele.

Dreams states, "Order is admin heavy, and Physicians CAN be. But, it's been literal years since I
 was a GL in the Physicians. We had a pretty big list of peeps then, had to keep track of them all."

Tomato says, "My time in the order the admin was 'save every letter and never look at it again' so
 maybe this is a me problem"

plague says, "I don't know what reward should be given but I think there should be one. I also
 think it should be attached to something active rather than just being a passive drip. People
 should be rewarded for things they do, not just being in the role"

Dragor states, "I got some QP organising inventory, which I found very nice. I think giving them a
 QP or two per week for their efforts wouldn't go amiss."

Lans says, "Being a Knight GL is also a lot of time sink when there are knights"

DrHimbopotamus states, "QP fits to me because it's a reward for ooc service to the game."

HIEROPHANT states, "We've gotta document and communicate when we're up to our nonsense on top of
 cnoting it; I sometimes end up writing the same scene's worth of text three or four times just to
 keep people up to speed."

HIEROPHANT states, "I imagine Reeves are the same way."

Sue states, "Yeah"

Tomato muses, "Perhaps at rollover a flat xp bonus for GLs who are active?"

Ghed claims, "Maybe we should look at it differently: making it so LESS upkeep is necessary"

Ghed claims, "But I wonder how"

Tomato states, "Like you can get 200 a day just from mail and thinking, maybe something like that,
 small but nice to have"

Deedee questions, "Gnotes?"

plague states, "I don't think you can, the RP around that upkeep is half the point of the game"

Sparkles claims, "Gnotes caused a lot of problems."

plague claims, "Or rather, I don't think you can eliminate it to the point it doesn't deserve a
 reward"

Ghed states to Deedee, "Hm, no, but I see what you mean"

Deedee nods.

HIEROPHANT says, "I don't know that's possible to have less. It's just a matter of having to type
 the text into the terminal, it's... gruntwork that has to be done to communicate."

VivaLaVictoria states, "I like the QP idea."

Sue states, "I don't think that can happen for guilds like the Reeves, really; reports need to be
 written and everything, and there's no automation of that process. "

Tomato says, "I personally don't think that reports are as valuable in the moment, but they ARE
 very valuable for archival purposes so"

plague states, "I like QP too, it's better than XP"

Deedee says, "I wasn't around for gnotes, so I don't know all of the pros and cons."

Sue states, "It can't be automated"

Cal trails off, "I mean.... The easy answer is to not make anal/neurotic people be GLs and let
 chaos reign"

Ghed has transferred phoenixdoll.  [OOC]

Cal claims, "As would be more time appropriate where records are sparce and not everyone can
 read/write"

Temi gives a tug-of-war toy, carved to represent the Scales of Justice to phoenixdoll.

Tomato says, "I also think some of it once its done its done, like reorganizing the evidence locket"

Cal trails off, "But since we can all read/write and GLs tend to be data heads..."

Lans trails off to Cal, "Did you call me a... a..."

Dreams says, "Literacy is pretty wide-spread."

Ghed states, "Literacy is universal thanks to the Order"

RamblingSeert claims, "Data head."

Cal claims to Lans, "An anal retentive beurocrat? Yes yes I did."

Ghed states to Sue, "We'll add it to the list for discussion, but if you can think of ways to make
 it easier for GL upkeep that would be good too"

Lans jumps into the pyre

Dragor claims, "Oh yeah, you are required by law to read the Erra Pater."

Dreams states, "Oh, yeah. I saw someone whose help char mentioned that the Southside is mostly
 illiterate. They, uhm. They are not."

Motherof says, "Hiring a secretary is helpful, just saying"

Sue claims, "Each guilds have different needs so it's no one-size fits all; I'd say a QP or RPxp
 bonus nightly is my suggestion."

RamblingSeert states, "I wasn't the best GL but There Was An Attempt and I award myself a slightly
 rumpled gold star."

Sue states, "Thanks for coming to my TED talk :)"

Motherof says, "I wan to be Sues secretary."

Nospeedy claims, "Having run guilds on other muds and doing semi GL stuff rn, I know the feeling of
 the busywork."

Phoenixdoll claims, "I want to be Sue's secretary."
Ghed nods.

Sue states, "What"

Ghed states, "We'll work on it, thanks"

DrHimbopotamus says, "I'll be sue's secretary if I can wear a little skirt"

Ghed questions to VivaLaVictoria, "Your topic?"

Sue states, "10,000 years ahalin"

VivaLaVictoria wonders, "There is rose-scented soap and lotion, but no floral soap or lotion.

There is floral solid and liquid perfume, but no rose-scented solid and liquid perfume.

As these both are different 'scent profiles' that show up in affects, is it safe to say that this
 is an oversight? And if so, could we get the missing items added to the chandlery list?"

Motherof states, "Will make you one, pronto"

Dreams says to DrHimbopotamus, "Well, I mean, -you- can wear anything you want. It's your character
 that will get thrown in the pokey."

DrHimbopotamus claims, "Ain't nobody gonna arrest these legs"

VivaLaVictoria states, "This is clearly the most important topic ever."

Deedee says, "Vicky's turn now"

Temi trails off, "Not really intended and so much an oversight as... not something we've updated"

Tomato queries, "Shouldn't be too hard to swap rose scented to floral scented yeah?"

Temi says, "It was all rose and we switched those above rose to florall"

Ghed says, "I'll let Temi handle this"

Tomato states, "Though there's something special about 'smells like roses' as a soft affect"

VivaLaVictoria pontificates, "I like the smells like roses, it should be both!"

Temi states, "I'll see about filling them out, but no promises on immediacy"

VivaLaVictoria pontificates, "Yay!"

Phoenixdoll says, "Woo."

Ghed has lost link.

Ghed has reconnected.

Temi claims, "Okay, here's our Ghed back.  We can go onto next topic"

Temi grins at Ghed.

Ghed woooozy

Ghed asks, "I think there's no other topic?"

Deedee claims, "I think there was one"

Ghed wonders, "Oh?"

Dragor says, "I think there was one left."

Sue trails off, "Hierophant had one..."

Deedee nods.

Nospeedy pokes hiero with a stick

Ghed states to HIEROPHANT, "Yep"

Ghed queries to HIEROPHANT, "?"

HIEROPHANT states, "Ope"

Particles of light coalesce to form Leta. [OOC]

RamblingSeert says, "...oh lawd he's cookin'."

Leta waves.

HIEROPHANT claims, "Mild disconnect on my end."

Deedee claims, "Oh it's a Leta."

HIEROPHANT states, "Or something. Uh. Anyway."

HIEROPHANT states, "Hello my fellow gamers.

Today I would like to talk about: Lore! Lore of regions outside of Lithmore. I have spoken with
 staff briefly on some stuff related to this, but -

I understand staff does not want to codify and fine-grain detail Darav or the distant parts of the
 Charali Plains, or the Orkin Wood in great detail. It's left vague on purpose for use by staff in
 header plots, to some extent.

However, that creates a bit of a conundrum: It makes me wonder - if I play a Daravi, Charali or
 Hillman character (and I have played two of those!), how can I be sure my character's background
 doesn't conflict with the legacy of player characters and plot NPCs and so on that has come before
 mine? How can I leave a legacy for other players to perhaps be inspired to follow-up on with their
 own characters?

In other words - how can I, as a player, leave the world more fleshed-out and complete than I found
 it? Can I write books? Will Staff declare some or all or none of the contents of what I write in
 it canon?

For transparency's sake I'm about 10 pages into a book about Darav and I'm wondering if it's worth
 finishing, or if you fine folks have an interest in reading it and how much creative freedom a
 single player is allowed to take."

Leta waves to Deedee.

Ghed says, "It's ok if your character clashes a little with player-established lore"

Dragor claims, "Heya Leta."

Ghed trails off, "Since player established lore... is not staff lore and is malleable"

Leta pontificates, "Hello!"

Deedee waves to Leta.

Ghed claims to Leta, "Glad to have you with us =3"

Tomato says, "I think staff's general stance on these things are 'books you find on grid aren't
 necessarily set in stone canon'"

HIEROPHANT declares, "Oh yeah I just have no way to know if I'm running roughshod over previous
 stuff that exists, and in these cases there... is no staff lore I can read, really!"

Tomato states, "So its ok if you contradict a little but your book doesn't necessarily speak it
 into being"

HIEROPHANT pontificates, "I'm sure it exists on the back-end, but I can't see it!"

Ghed nods.

Dreams states, "I think it would depend some. Like Charali don't write stuff, so a book written by
 a Charali would just sort of be weird. I don't know much about the other two - it's just the
 Charali I played for years."

Ghed says, "Pretty sure the only player lore we do track meticulously and police, is nobles"

HIEROPHANT says, "For this character I do have a cop-out of "I lied on purpose, tee hee" but for
 future stuff it'd be good to know."

Arthur is idle.

Leta states, "We do have a blurb on current status in Darav we have provided to Daravi players"

Deedee states, "Charali are all about oral history, but could possibly have someone put it to pen"

Temi nods.

HIEROPHANT says, "This is the first I am hearing of this."

DrHimbopotamus queries, "Can you submit an outline first to staff?"

Leta nods at DrHimbopotamus.

HIEROPHANT says, "It was not mentioned when I asked to be daravi-z'd. Oops."

DrHimbopotamus states, "Before you do the solid writing. Daravi has some real established culture
 for sure."

Leta says, "Submitting an outline in advance helps. It prevents the situation where a player
 submits a ton of work that ends up being unfeasible, which is frustrating and difficult all around"

HIEROPHANT says, "Okay! I've poked around, asked other players, read IC books and even some plot
 records I have access to through the Guild of Pointy Hats - even old character journals! - but
 it's a bit opaque. May I be assisted that particular Daravi Dudes helpfile now that I know it's
 real? I tried help match'ing everything Daravi during chargen and didn't see it."

Temi muses, "Post a request and we'll copy it for you?"

HIEROPHANT claims, "If similar files don't exist for the Tarns/Orkinwood and the Charali Plains, it
 might be good to make those as well, is what I'm getting from this."

DrHimbopotamus claims, "Charali and Hill can at least differ significantly from place to place and
 have more full helpfiles on culture."

Temi claims, "We don't have a way to make helpfiles only available to those of a certain race"

HIEROPHANT states, "Ahhh."

Ghed has lost link.
Ghed has reconnected.

Ghed says, "Grumble grumble vpn"

HIEROPHANT says, "That would be a Cool Feature."

Temi states, "Charali and Hill are fully fleshed out to the extent that is appropriate, likely. 
 They have full regional helpfiles"

Leta nods at Temi.

HIEROPHANT muses, "Oh for sure - but I was thinking something that might be there for Hillish
 characters to know and maybe have informed opinions on, like the Silver Horde?"

Lans has lost link.
Lans has reconnected.

Ghed wonders, "We do have the perspective helpfiles, no?"

Deedee nods.

Temi states, "That was a player defined story"

HIEROPHANT says, "Or just examples of Clans that canonically exist that did things of note, for
 players to use as models for their backgrounds. Maybe I'm just overthinking it. There are
 perspective helpfiles but those are for the perspective of that race concerning -other- races."

Deedee says, "For most"

Tomato states, "I think the point is that they are super scattered so there's not a 'right' way to
 do it"

Leta nods at Tomato.

HIEROPHANT claims, "Gotcha."

Tomato states, "I noticed some of the current hillish players for example branched off from the
 even existing helpfiles on some things and I just went with it"

Temi claims, "We definitely encourage people to define their own clans and histories within the
 info there, same as we're happy for players to have their own villages in whatever lands"

Ghed nods.

Ghed states, "The lack of definition sometimes is meant to encourage player agency"

Tomato states, "Like how they dress is defined as a helpfile, was largely not how it was presented
 IC, I was just like, wellp they are a different breed of hillish clearly racism powers go"

Deedee claims, "Both charali and hillmen are pretty tribal, some of the more flexible races to play
 I think, background-wise"

HIEROPHANT claims, "I made stuff up on Bimbly as I went, but kept it very localized and a 'this is
 what MY clan does and everyone ELSE is WRONG' type of thing on purpose, yeah."

Deedee nods.

Ghed nods at Deedee.

Temi says, "There's definitely a lot of room for creativity and we'd like to keep it that way"

Ghed says to Deedee, "Being isolated like that helps to create unique player thingies"

Ghed nods at Temi.

Sue claims, "I just use the Hillfolk page on the TI website"

DrHimbopotamus wonders, "If players want to share their clans and the like - forums, maybe?"

DrHimbopotamus wonders, "For people who like their private lore and would like to invite others in?"

Tomato says, "That should copy some of but not all the help hillman helpfiles"

HIEROPHANT claims, "I'll probably submit some of the songs, stories, traditions etc. as books to
 find on grid. I contributed (with plague's help, much love, buddy) a QP shop metal with its own
 tidbit of lore. That kind of thing.

I don't really use the forums? Maybe that's my problem? I dunno, if it's not in the terminal it
 doesn't have much appeal to me."

Leta nods.

HIEROPHANT states, "Well, knowing I can ask for The Scoop and that I can submit an outline before I
 slave away over the keyboard wraps up the topic for me. I'm good passing the floor at this point,
 thanks folks."

Leta claims, "The forums has a lot. Songs people have written, stories/lore, the IC board archives"

DrHimbopotamus says, "The forums strike me as a fun 'intermediary' way to store stuff that doesn't
 force staff to add it in as full helpfiles, but."

DrHimbopotamus nods.

Tomato says, "I feel like in-game is better than 3rd party in every circumstance"

Ghed states, "The forums contain everything"

Tomato says, "But its also a Big Ask to expect someone to comb through years of forum archives for
 One Specific Thing that could be in a helpfile"

Ghed states, "Cue in jack black's 'I know everything' video"

HIEROPHANT states, "I, uh. Ran into that exact issue very recently, yes."

DrHimbopotamus claims, "Well, hell, I'd love to have a million helpfiles, but it does ask a lot of
 staff."

Deedee says, "It does have a search feature, though not super easy to use"

Leta states to Tomato, "It's more... the helpfiles are the general structure. If you're rummaging
 for additional lore, the forums might be a good resource"

Dreams states, "Arguably, a million helpfiles might be what already exist."

Tomato states, "If its Canon enough to have staff say its canon it should be in the game itself,
 not hidden somewhere under a rock"

HIEROPHANT states, "One thing I'd note on that is - yes. Worsened, himbopotato, if players abruptly
 leave, are banned, etc. and leave their domains or lore-work or whatever half-finished and thus in
 limbo"

DrHimbopotamus claims, "Many games I've played did full-on wikis, but."

Tomato says, "If its just 'fun extra stuff' thats fine"

Ghed claims, "We have over a thousand helpfiles for a 25-year old game"

Deedee states, "We have a wiki, but it isn't maintained"

Ghed says to DrHimbopotamus, "We have one but it's outdated and clashes with some canon"

Deedee nods.

DrHimbopotamus claims, "Yeah, any working wiki would have to interface with helpfiles
 automatically."

Tomato trails off, "So therefore... useless as a resource and might as well not exist"

DrHimbopotamus claims, "And then just be used to expand on them."

Temi says, "We've tried to be more upfront about requiring domain updates before people even get on
 grid"

HIEROPHANT questions to Ghed, "Yeah, that's why I don't like to use it. I don't want to wonder if
 what I'm reading is something I can use?"

Temi states, "So as to try to prevent the problem getting worse"

Leta nods at Temi.

Ghed claims to HIEROPHANT, "For example the portal to modern Earth has been closed"

Leta says, "Yeah, we're much stricter about nobles."

HIEROPHANT states, "I did not know that was a thing."

Ghed states, "I made it up"

Ghed claims, "Dw"

Ghed claims, "It's a joke"

DrHimbopotamus lols.

Phoenixdoll claims, "Oh aha wow. I thought.."

HIEROPHANT squints at Ghed.

Cal waves.

Deedee states, "I met a character from modern earth"

Ghed says, "Sorry, didn't meant to be believed xD"

Leta waves to Cal.

Deedee states, "Stepped into the Prime's office asking about walmart."

Temi grins.

Cal pontificates, "My battery is dying so... Cheers!"

Phoenixdoll states, "Lmao"
Cal begins to descend.

Cal leaves down.

Tomato trails off, "So largely... if its Canon enough to require staff correction, add to
 helpfiles, if not, its just fun flavor"

Ghed nods.

Leta nods at Tomato.

Ghed queries, "Okay! I think that's all on that matter. Did anyone have anything else to bring up?"

Sparkles claims, "Talking about the Wiki, has there been a thought of making a new one and linking
 to a new one on the website so it could be updated? We gathered folks to help with that at one
 point but then ... the permissions were seemingly lost during staff shifts."

Ghed states, "I admit since taking over the website has been last in my list of concerns"

Tomato states, "I don't see why we NEED a wiki"

Deedee nods.

Ghed says, "It's kinda useful, IDK it gives me warm fuzzies"

Tomato states, "Its just regurgitated helpfiles that aren't updated when the game is"

Deedee states, "I'd rather a interface to look up helpfiles from the website if anything"

Dreams says, "I would much prefer to not have to fight with a wiki, personally."

DrHimbopotamus states, "A wiki can add a lot to a game, namely this 'second-tier' canon, and it is
 possible to sync it automatically with helpfiles."

HIEROPHANT states, "I like helpfiles more. If it was linked directly to the helpfiles somehow it'd
 be different."

DrHimbopotamus says, "I've played games that did that and it works great."

Konaa claims, "They take a lot of effort, so the question becomes if it's worth that effort"

Tomato claims, "Or, in other games I'd played, it was used to aggrandize characters with
 player-written dubiously canonical information"

Sparkles says, "Because new potential players can read the wiki without making a charater."

DrHimbopotamus claims, "That said, I can see an argument it's lower-priority."

Sparkles trails off, "TI has no 'guest' system so ..."

HIEROPHANT claims, "But that's a whole lot of effort for Eurus and Ghed to make that work and I
 dunno if the gain is worth it."

DrHimbopotamus nods at HIEROPHANT.

Ghed claims to Tomato, "Yeah that's something that worries me a bit"

Tomato claims, "And I don't think that 'off game dubiously canonical' sources is where we should be
 getting information, particularly when its hard to tell where someone's gettin info they're
 working off of"

DrHimbopotamus claims, "It feels 'cool but slightly lower priority' to me."

Ghed states, "It's true that helpfiles are totally staff curated, save for character ones"

Deedee states, "Original TI actually had helpfile access from the website, could explore the grid
 too IIRC"

HIEROPHANT says to Ghed, "I will say that I prefer TI's method of self-aggrandizing off-canon
 information.

Write a book and lie about how cool you are in it."

DrHimbopotamus says, "Used to have a guest system too. That would be appreciated, but."

Dreams claims, "I remember when there were character blogs outside of game. And people would come
 to me and ask if they could blog about my character in their character blog, and I was really
 uncomfortable with it for multiple reasons."

Tomato claims, "Like I remember when I submitted yasmina for the website art contest, I was
 concerned that including 'Tenebrae' as an ally was going to make people treat me differently IC"

DrHimbopotamus claims, "Honestly? I just really like inventing worldbuilding shit and then throwing
 it out there."

Tomato trails off, "Because that's third party info that people didn't have access to IC..."

DrHimbopotamus claims, "And a route to do that that doesn't force staff to make it helpfiles is
 nice."

HIEROPHANT claims, "Oh same, that's why I brought up that topic to start with."

Deedee says, "Yeah, the blog thing was a little odd to me too"

DrHimbopotamus says, "If that route is forums, that's cool - just nice to have agreement on what
 that route is."

Leta states, "I think for now, that place is the forums"

Tomato trails off, "I think... IC books are always better"

DrHimbopotamus nods at Leta.

Dreams claims, "1) Putting IC info like that out there in OOC land, and in a means where it just
 looks like people are just reading each other's diaries, bugged me. 2) I would much rather people
 write it in IC journals, that way it can be legit 'found and passed around". 3) This person had a
 problem with my character at the time. So, it was going to be out there that my character was some
 awful person, or their opinion of them, which could taint what other people think before they even
 meet them. But, not in an IC thing, as an OOC thing."

Yinadele states, "They're not always better at informing new players, though."

Yinadele states, "There's no books in the cgen room."

DrHimbopotamus claims, "And IC books are not always better because this is not always stuff you
 would share in that format."

Tomato states, "If its something a newbie NEEDS to know it should be a helpfile that EVERYONE has
 access to that does not require you to go to a website"

HIEROPHANT says, "I don't think there's anything in the cgen room that a brand-new player NEEDS to
 know immediately that is only in an IC book."

DrHimbopotamus says, "If it's "My Hill PC belongs to This Cool Clan, anybody wants to join it?"
 Forums."

Yinadele nods.

Phoenixdoll queries, "That is an idea. Maybe a lore room that could have some books in cgen? "

HIEROPHANT states, "Maybe the guide to combat book."

HIEROPHANT states, "Maybe."

Tomato says, "That is my entire point--if it is REQUIRED information, it should be baked into the
 game"

Leta states, "We could consider a wiki, but right now the forums is the place if you want to write
 interesting stories, define your own clan, etc."

Tomato says, "If its just 'this is fun flavor' it doesn't really matter"

Leta nods at Tomato.

Leta nods at DrHimbopotamus.

DrHimbopotamus states, "Yeah, maybe we're going around in circles here. I see a third tier between
 those things, Tomato, that's all."

Ilena says, "I think if we encouraged forum updates and submissions for help files, that would be
 nice."

DrHimbopotamus nods at Ilena.

HIEROPHANT claims, "I will say that a common complaint that crops up in other similar games is that
 wiki, forum, etc. posts don't have in-game payout in XP and etc. and I'd rather not carry that
 over to here if possible."

Ilena claims, "A good happy medium."

Leta says to Ilena, "We provide QP for those things"

HIEROPHANT wonders, "Don't forums do weird things with formatting?"

Leta states, "Like forum guides, detailed help, helpfiles that get accepted"

Deedee states, "There's a log code that helps with formatting"

Ilena says, "They can, but staff (like me!) can fix that when it comes to a help file. I think
 maybe a specific subforum for submitting help files/help file updates would be nice."

DrHimbopotamus claims, "Oh, I love that, Ilena."

plague states, "For my part I consider every IC book potentially incorrect and every helpfile
 probably-mostly-correct. I like receiving information from potentially incorrect sources but I
 will never base a lore expansion off of them rather than helpfiles, in relation to the original
 topic"

Tomato claims, "That sounds exactly like the perfect solution"

Deedee nods.

Dreams claims, "Oh, when creating recently-ish, I noticed that the chargen still mentions that 61
 is fluent for languages. It absolutely is not anymore. That should likely be adjusted."

Ilena states, "I'd personally LOVE to curate/respond to that sort of forum."

HIEROPHANT states, "I'd just make a separate board from the Typo board for that, myself, but if you
 think that's better then uhh.

That'd probably get me to actually use the forums I guess. That and the event archive."

Deedee claims, "Languages have been a bit weird lately yes"

Ghed claims, "Hmm"

DrHimbopotamus states, "I do still plan to troll my logs for old helpfiles and re-provide them."

HIEROPHANT claims, "I am at 61 for languages and do not struggle whatsoever, myself. YMMV."

RamblingSeert is idle.

Phoenixdoll says, "I admit, I think the problem with wikis and the forums is that it's unclear what
 is user generated content on the wiki and what is 'staff' lore. I don't know if I want to suggest
 that it's something that is worth spending staffing hours on, but I have often wished that the
 website had a section that pulled from the current helpfiles."

Yinadele claims, "61 is pretty fluent for languages, just means you don't know some big words."

DrHimbopotamus states, "I've just been busy."

Sue says, "Yeah where's my QP for my ambiance work Ghed"

Ghed states, "Submitting helpfiles means that we will reject the big majority of them"

Sue pokes Ghed with a stick

Yinadele says, "... Which can be normal even from native speakers."

Ghed claims, "We're aiming for consolidation not expansion"

Dreams states, "You must not be saying congratulations, then."

Ghed says, "This game is already very difficult to board for new players"

Lisette says, "I can't understand some long words in my own native language... like
 congratulations."

Deedee claims, "That reminds me"

Dreams claims, "I came back and my character was flubbing words in their native language. I was not
 pleased."

Sue says, "Dwfwomdadedad"

Ghed claims, "I don't know that I have the mental stamina to handle a new layer of staff book
 keeping"

Lisette states, "So I think there might be a bug"

Yinadele claims, "Congratulations is the funniest one."

DrHimbopotamus asks, "Y'know, could we perhaps add some words to an exception list?"

DrHimbopotamus asks, "In the language code?"

Deedee says, "I've got a bunch of reeeve helpfiles last updated in 2006"

DrHimbopotamus states, "Congratulations, understanding, misunderstanding."

Deedee says, "Need to junk 'em I think"

Leta states, "Y"

Tomato claims, "You get a free 75 for lithmorran and your native, you just need to unblock them"

Tomato queries, "Maybe we could change them being auto-blocked at 61?"

Leta says, "Y'all, this is getting all over the place"

Tomato says, "That trips up a lot of newbies"

DrHimbopotamus claims, "Haha, sorry, Leta. It sure is."

HIEROPHANT says, "Still costs XP. They are auto-blocked at 61 now."

Dreams states, "Right. I'm just saying we may want to update the language in that chargen room.
 Because 61 isn't fluent anymore."

HIEROPHANT states, "That is how it is currently, tomatillo. "

Tomato says, "Its always been like that the whole time i've played"

HIEROPHANT claims, "I don't know what you mean by that. I have no fluency issues at 61. Fluent does
 not mean perfect and impeccable."

Tomato says, "I'm sayin maybe make it auto-block at 75 instead"

Ghed states, "Guys"

Ghed says, "Let's focus"

Deedee looks to Ghed. 

Phoenixdoll trails off, "Dwfwomdadedad..."

Konaa trails off, "Ohhh no.  I remember my first week when Eiphraem tutored me up to 71 lithmorran
 and I had to block it.  You're not making me fall for that again...xp sink"

Ghed says, "I don't look forward to more helpfiles just because some players think they are
 necessary. Most of the time they aren't. I don't say I'm closed to player contribution or new
 helpfiles in principle. I just don't want to get people's hopes up then reject 10 out of 10 of
 them."

DrHimbopotamus nods at Ghed.

Ghed says, "I love you guys, your energy is amazing and I appreciate it a lot. But we have to be
 strategic."

Malyna is idle.

Ghed states, "And I hate to disappoint people. I really do."

Leta muses, "How about we add a sub-forum not for helpfiles, but specifically for player-generated
 lore?"

Ghed questions to Leta, "Hmm?"

plague says, "It seems the issue is potentially-contentious lore"

HIEROPHANT says, "That's fair. A rule of thumb for that might be 'could this feasibly just be a
 book instead', perhaps? It's how I go about it.

Directly submitting lore for approval without the filter of an IC perspective, i.e. authorship of a
 book and the author's bias, could be problematic."

DrHimbopotamus says, "If there's a subforum it makes it easy for staff to post a simple "Sure this
 is cool" or not, because it's all consolidated."

Leta says, "And make sure it's clearly defined as PLAYER lore with the caveats therein. Players can
 look at it if they're hunting for inspiration or looking to broaden a character concept, but it
 doesn't get added to the core 'correct' area of grid"

Leta says, "Which we'd still consider the helpfiles"

plague trails off, "If people really wanted to talk about their specific and questionably-canon
 Hillfolk clan drinks demon blood cleansed in the Springs they probably would do so but..."

Tomato claims, "This sounds excellent to me"

Leta says, "Staff can curate, it sounds like Ilena is willing to support that kind of thing. If
 something gets too crazy, we can moderate."

plague claims, "It wouldn't really do anything in terms of the gameplay either, I guess, as much as
 it sounds like making it 'real' isn't overly feasible"

DrHimbopotamus nods.

Deedee says, "I'd also like to remind people not to hammer cyans too much over lore, especially
 vague stuff buried deep in one of the timeline files."

Dragor states, "Don't drink demon blood raw kids, always put some lime and sea salt on it."

DrHimbopotamus claims, "Yeah, this is a great solution."

Ghed states to Leta, "I like that idea"

Leta nods at Deedee.

Leta claims, "Good reminder."

Ilena states, "I would like that! I'm totally willing to do so."

Ghed states, "Excellent we have a deal

plague states, "Staff curation makes things matter, and I like when things matter."

HIEROPHANT exclaims, "That sounds like a considerable extra staff workload to me, but not more than
 reviewing 30-page books of nonsense must be, so eh. Give it a whirl I suppose!"

Ghed states, "Now time to send you all back to your RP"

Phoenixdoll says, "Not a topic, but! I missed the start because I slept in because I was up until 4
 rolling my face against my keyboard. Oopsies. I just wanted to say hello to everyone. Sadly, I
 won't be around until a bit later this week as my algorithms & data structures assignment is
 kicking my ass. "

DrHimbopotamus states, "I doubt too many people will take advantage of it."

DrHimbopotamus grins.

Leta claims to phoenixdoll, "<3"

plague trails off, "I can pee cool fake stories into the void forevermore, but unless admins say
 'canon' it is... a story"

Ghed pontificates to phoenixdoll, "You can do it! You're almost there!"

Ghed nods at plague.

Ghed states, "Please remember to post rumors, cnote discoveries, and recommend each other for
 meaningful RP =)"

Sue exclaims, "Remember!!! New board outside Reeve HQ!!!"

Sue pontificates, "It has things on it!!!"

Ghed states, "C N O T E"

Ghed states, "D I S C O V E R I E S"

plague says, "I'll be at the HQ in 5 minutes. -jae"

HIEROPHANT states, "Remember!!! Hydrate. Drink water."

Nospeedy states, "Beam me up scotty. I will do a weekly cnote for stuff I have been doing."

Deedee waves.

plague waves.

Sue states, "Attack jae head"

Dragor states, "When will I discover that Ghed loves me and we can go on an icecream date."

Arthur says OOCly, "Sorry just finishing hosting dnd"

Motherof is idle.

Phoenixdoll states, "Attack jae stupid face"

Tomato states, "Tip your bards and your pickpockets"

Ghed trails off, "Engaging warp drive in 3..."

Ghed trails off, "2..."

Malyna pontificates, "Thanks!"

Ghed trails off, "1..."

• Information