Log of OOC Meeting: 2022-10-15

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Sparkles

Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:07 pm

Ghed queries, "Before we begin, folks, here's a reminder of the OOC Chat Pact: Everyone on TI does the best they can, given what they know at the time, their skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand. We will be respectful of this and each other at all times."

Today's Agenda is:
- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today? If you register a topic, please pre-write it so you're ready to present it when called upon.

Finally, who wants to scribe for today?"

Sparkles states, "I can if no one else can/wants to."

A tumbleweed rolls by.

Ghed declares to Sparkles, "Thanks!"

Ghed declares, "Let me know if you come up with any topics!"

Ghed says, "Okay, time to start this week's Staff Update."

Ghed says, "I'll go first"

Ghed says, "It was a slow week! I'm starting classes again and I didn't have a lot of time for TI. I did recommends, many, and requests, many. Helped Leta some more with her plot."

Brando states, "And you helped me in chargen fix a major problem ...my tier one asset for my alt was missing completely."

Leta claims, "My week was a bit all over the place! I helped handle some phome builds, recommends and requests for people. I assisted with the Magebane event and put the holiday hawker on grid as a fun side-project."

Leta says, "Most of my time was spent building mobs and testing code with Eurus for this plot of mine. Very excited to tell stories with you soon =)"

Ghed claims, "Oh yeah that was a lot of work"

Ghed states, "Eurus swung by and carpet bombed us with bug fixes."

Temi claims, "Well! I have been off traveling the world, and I was supposed to be back last night, but due to airline issues, only just made it back. But I -am- now back and ready to get caught up on everything again. I'll be having a bigger political plot getting ready to go again following Leta's smaller plot"

Brando says, "And you helped me make sure my new alt was perfect to come on grid Leta and i thank both you and Ghed for making that all possible. cheers"

Urtha declares, "I bought a souvenir from the hawker to remember the magebane party!!"

Temi states, "But I wouldn't expect that too immediately"

Leta grins at Urtha.

Leta nods at Temi.

Temi states, "But once I get through all the board posts and everything, you can expect me to be back to normal"

Brando states, "Awesome Temi. :)"

Temi nods at Ghed.

Ghed smiles at Brando.

Ghed says, "Alrighty"

Ghed muses, "Alright people, let's move on to Player Heartbeat: how has the week been for y'all?"

Tomato states, "Lots of scenes, lots of fun"

Inkblot claims, "I was able to get a few scenes in after time away. That was nice"

Brando claims, "On my main character she has been crafting for commissions for yuletide faire presents and on my alt well it was an uphill learning curve goingthrough chargen again aftera two year hiatus ."

Violet claims, "The Magebane event was lovely, the Troubadours did amazing"

Kirale claims, "Getting reacquainted with the commands after not mudding for over a year."

Brando states, "All the "

Urtha states, "My character has been busier than she ever has before. Had a lot of fun at the mageban party and preparing for it. Enjoying the troubadour life"

Leta nods at Kirale.

Leta exclaims to Kirale, "Welcome back! =)"

Dazzl declaims, "Not much free time lately, but things are calming down on my end I think!"

Kirale pontificates, "Thanks!"

Brando states, "All the RP i did was excellent and i thank all those members who RP'd with either my main or my new alt"

Lans states, "I loved the magebane performances"

Ghed says, "Sounds like it's been a good and busy week"

Ghed questions, "Alright, is there anything bothering anyone about TI that can be shared here and now?"

Brando states, "Yes ... current files of domains need major update to make them current. "

Temi claims, "Please feel free to address that in typos on a case by case basis"

Ghed says, "Yes, that's a neverending work that Temi and Leta have handled very well, but it's a lot"

Ghed states, "Many files were neglected for years or more than a decade"

Ghed questions, "Anything else?"

Temi claims, "From my understanding, on the whole, most of them should be pretty up to date with the important details."

Tomato states, "Somehow I do not have 100 gold in my account for merely existing, this seems like an error (sarcasm)"

Leta grins at Tomato.

Leta claims, "We'll keep that in mind."

Temi states, "Except, we do not update helpfiles when nobles go inactive and nothing has happened with a domain for a long while on purpose."

Leta nods at Temi.

Temi says, "We'd like to keep things as open as possible for the next noble to take up the domain to determine what happened in the meantime"

Errisar states, "Oh, had to step away. I have a topic when it is time."

Ghed nods at Errisar.

Ghed nods at Temi.

Ghed states, "Alright, time to move on to Player Topics."

Ghed exclaims to Errisar, "I think it's just you for now!"

Urtha says, "Just that one bugbear Ghed already knows about"

Errisar states, "I would like us to implement us having an opportunity ot update helpinfo files when someone leaves or dies to show what is known about how they left."

Errisar says, "So something like part of liquidation as well as something you do to clean up when you die. Sorry, typing quickly."

Gnomely asks, "Maybe the helpfile could like, update with the Liquidation Rumor at the very end. Append it and such, when a Liquidation goes through. Though I think Helpinfos fade after a time period, right?"

Sparkles wonders, "I'm not sure everyone's helpfiles always stay if they aren't past a certain marker?"

Tomato queries, "I was under the impression helpfiles eventually were cleaned up unless you got a permanent one?"

Tomato states, "The permanent ones are milestone achievements or QP purchases, I thought"

Temi claims, "Yeah, the helpinfos are cleaned up and no longer available after a while of being dead"

Errisar claims, "I've seen some very old ones this past week, at least a year or so old, so something to indicate what happened. Not a big thing, just an idea."

Leta nods.

Brando states, "I was like a noob babe to chargen after two year hiatus and things things have changed since i went through with my current main. i found the domain help files helpful but misleading and ittook staffto suggest an appropriate domain for my character conception to come from. i went through a name change , which may or may not have resulted in my missing tier 1 free asset and at least 5 rewrites of descriptions and character helpinfo files. staff were great throughout the entire process and any errors were mostly my own making. mostly by assuming stuff wrongly."

Tomato states, "I'm glad staff were able to assist you with your character concept"

Ghed tells you, "Got it"

Urtha says, "Actually... one of my characters that's been gone for 2 years or more still has a help file. I just checked."

Sparkles muses, "Who would determine those if folks don't liquidate but just kind of ... disappear?"

Leta claims, "I can see how that would be confusing, Errisar"

Temi says, "The help people files are usually created upon death at the request of the person to put together their whole life"

Brando nods at Tomato

Leta nods at Sparkles.

Errisar nods at Temi.

Temi states, "Available after a certain level of importance or hours"

Tomato says, "If people don't liquidate their characters, they likely remain until staff wipe the inactive characters entirely, which they do occasionally but not extremely often"

Urtha states, "In this case, this character I don't think gained any notoriety or milestone to have her file saved. Nothing about their rueful demise is listed in it, looks like the one I typed up when she was still around. "

Urtha states, "Ah. "

Tomato states, "We do want returning players to be able to get their old characters, if at all possible"

Errisar states, "One of my liquidated chars from over two years back still has her helpfile, which prompted this round about."

Tomato trails off, "So in that instance they likely just... stayed on your account"

Errisar nods at Tomato.

Ghed claims, "That's something we should look at"

Temi states, "Yeah, if people just go inactive they stick around. And not sure what keys the helpinfo cleanups, but it's usually quicker after actual death"

Brando asks, "Inactive characters are supposed to be wiped every 6 months . can that be automated please?"

Errisar says, "Thanks, I appreciate the quality discussion."

Temi says, "They are"

Temi says, "Well, not 6 months inactive"

Temi says, "6 months of no logins."

Brando claims, "Noted Temi and thanks for clarifying that for me"

Leta states, "If they are under a certain RP hour threshold"

Temi nods at Leta.

Errisar says, "One of the advantages about being able to append something to a help file is that it can help those who might have missed the char leaving know through the NPC rumor mill what is known about their departure."

Leta nods at Errisar.

Leta states, "It might be something good to implement as part of wrap-up."

Tomato trails off, "Might be difficult if people just... up and leave but good for liquidates"

Leta says, "Well. Long story short, we can certainly look into this. Thank you for bringing it up, Errisar."

Errisar grins.

Ghed states to Brando, "Thanks"

Ghed states to Sparkles, "You had a topic too, right_"

Pauline sits down.

Brando wonders, "No. aside from what i have already stated in heartbeat. i have no topics , unless you can refresh my memory please Ghed?"

Ghed says, "I was talking to Sparkles =)"

Brando states, "Oops my bad sorry."

Sparkles says, "Just a quick thought! So some of the past few holiday celebrations have introduced some wonderful new spice blends. However, it brings up a thought that while Cooking has 'Fine Spices' that kind of allows you to introduce different things and passes forward appraise messages, Brewing has a lot more set allowances for spices/herbs. I'm guessing partly because some things were written before newer things (like say ... cinnamon) was introduced as something players could grow. "

Leta nods at Sparkles.

Temi says, "I think that's less about when things were introduced and more just general principles behind the crafts"

Tomato states, "Its extremely common to have herbs and spices in lots of drinks outside of just mulled wine and mead, the 2 I think are available"

Temi states, "For cooking, we definitely want to keep the options very open for lots of interpretive tooling and have avoided a lot of specific recipes that define e.g. a specific spice"

Leta muses to Sparkles, "Is it more that you're hoping for more ways to integrate appraisal messages, or more that you want the recipes themselves to be broader?"

Leta claims, "(or neither)"

Brando questions, "We the shopinfo stuff for extra appraisal messages ... we have the taste and smell stuff for those things too, and you can retool the mulled and spiced drinks to specify a specific setof herbs and spices used when the recipe uses any spice or herb as a consumable product .. what more is required?"

Sparkles says, "Maybe both? Or one of the other? But for an example being able to use cinnamon rather than only the cloves and nutmeg some recipes allow. Or ... allowing chocolate in something. I suppose the broader question is about Brewing having a bit more of the leniency on specifics in some cases. And having a peek for some Ors."

Tomato queries, "I think a lot of casks are not embellishible when they come out, perhaps we could look into simply make more drinks embellishible to include more spices?"

Brando claims, "Sweet and spicy idea there Tomato"

Temi states, "We may be able to add some more choices if there's parts of cooking that are too restrictive"

Leta says, "Most casks can and should be embellished. If any end-products are missing those flags, please inform me"

Temi says, "They were more picked to get appropriate rarity level than to be limiting"

Leta nods at Temi.

Temi states, "I definitely don't want to require people get a hold of cinnamon for specific non-rare recipes, since that's a rare spice"

Brando says, "Yep temi unless its like fireball rum ..aka cinamon rum"

Temi states, "There should not be a recipe for that"

Temi claims, "Recipes are general things - a tooled instance is a specific thing."

Tomato queries, "Oh are you talking about the various recipes which require gruit, which you make with nutmeg?"

Temi states, "You are welcome to embellish your rum with cinnamon."

Brando claims, "Noted and agreed, very cool."

Sparkles declaims, "I'll double check that all the casks are embellishable then!"

Leta states, "Well. TL;DR, end products should be embellishable, so if there are missing flags or if there are recipes that feel overly restrictive, please let us know"

Temi finishes abruptly, "Definitely not interested in adding more specifics to cooking though - I want a lot of freedom in that craft and for people to feel free to be inspired to do broad things within the class of simple or gourmet"

Temi says, "However, some parts of cooking were likely set up while we were still limited to 3 choices and didn't have generics yet"

Leta nods at Temi.

Temi states, "So if there are ones that are too limiting, rather than too general, that's open for improvement"

Ghed nods.

Tomato claims, "That might be the heart of the issue, too limited, reviewing the original post"

Leta nods at Tomato.

Ghed questions to Sparkles, "Does this cover your questions more or less?"

Temi claims, "Probably more useful to let us know about specific ones, rather than in general, though. I don't think we're looking at a big sweep of the whole craft soon"

Sparkles states, "I admit I'm trying not to open specific recipes to not need to bleep them from the log as I'm Scribe today but I can send in a Typo list of what I mean."

Sparkles nods.

Brando asks, "Yes .. i tried crafting pizza as a simple cheese dish .. and there was no problems doing that... unfortunately staff determined that pizza was not themic and asked me to consume them privately. i did that so nota problem. maybe crafters should engage with staff before finalizing any do it yourself products eh?"

Temi says, "Yeah, a typo note is probably the most useful place for that kind of thing."

Tomato claims, "Speaking of brewing, I am still sad that we can't get drunk off of most brews.. would it be helpful if I sent a suggestion of how many sips to drunk for each brew to staff"

Ghed claims, "I'm not going to review every craft in gameeeee"

Ghed shudders at the thought

Temi says, "If your items feel medieval in nature, please don't feel obliged to ask us about details"

Ghed nods.

Leta queries to Tomato, "Maybe shoot me a pboard?"

Ghed claims, "When in doubt, check Wikipedia"

Temi states, "And if they feel modern in nature, feel free to also not ask us and just not do them."

Ghed nods at Temi.

Tomato claims, "As the resident irl lightweight you can super get drunk off of beer, trust me"

Brando states, "10mins till end of ooc chat ok"

Tomato states, "If there's nothing else to bring up I am comfortable heading off early"

Ghed says, "Alrighty, if there is nothing else"

Ghed says, "Please remember to post rumors, cnote discoveries, and recommend each other for meaningful RP =)"

Ghed says, "Srsly cnote or I'll drop your carry capacity to 1, and that 1 will be a paper of mine saying "CNOTE PLS""

Brando claims, "I doubly recommend recommendations"

Violet exclaims, "And come to Yule Faire!"

Ghed states, "And go to yule faire"

Brando states, "Lol thats cruel but not unusual punishment"

Temi claims, "And recommend people that do great things at Yule faire"

Violet declaims, "The Merchants have been doing great work, so please come and enjoy :) Your favorite boozy bards will also be attending and performing, by the sound of it!"

Lans states, "And report moral threats"

Urtha claims, "YULE GO AND YULE LIKE IT"

• Information