Log of OOC Meeting - 2022-08-06

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Myrella

Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:24 pm

Ghed wonders, "Before we begin, folks, here's a reminder of the OOC Chat Pact: Everyone on TI does the best they can, given what they know at the time, their skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand. We will be respectful of this and each other at all times."

Today's Agenda is:
- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today? If you register a topic, please pre-write it so you're ready to present it when called upon.

Finally, who wants to scribe for today?"
Leta claims to Petal, "If you were here for the Great Flood or the Palace Fire, you count as a member of the Diamond Jubilee Oldie's club =)"

Leta has transferred Claude.
Ghed has transferred Claude.
Ghed has transferred Claude.
Temi gives a small, tabletop podium carved out of fine polished walnut to Claude.

Ghed claims, "Oops"

Petal states, "I was here for the flood, but not the fire I think."
Claude sits down and rests.

declares, "I have a topic!"

says, "Oh no"

Ghed declares, "Alright! Noted down, pls prewrite"

Effie trails off, "Invisible..."

PiousDavite says, "I think you broke your name"

Claude states, "I have a question whenever pls."

Ghed muses, "Anyone else? And does anyone want to scribe?"
Ghed nods at Claude.

Ghed says, "Noted"

Ghed questions, "No scribe? Okay"
say I will then

Urtha states, "I will then"
Ghed nods at Urtha.
Ghed has awarded you 2 QPs: scribe

Ghed states, "Thank you"

Petal claims, "Not entirely sure I'm awake enough for brain to function enough to scribe or come up with topics. It early."

Temi exclaims, "Thanks! It does help for people who can't be here now"

Ghed says, "Let's begin with Staff Update. I'll do it first."
say It's easy QP and I don't need them, so don't like to jump at the opportunity

Urtha claims, "It's easy QP and I don't need them, so don't like to jump at the opportunity"

Ghed states, "This week I did a lot of recommends and player requests, plus a few player plots. I did a review of aaaaaaaall the spells in the game, something I had neglected for the longest time. I also ran through a lot of phome evictions and restocked the auction house, as it had gotten rather empty after Yule. I'm also ready to begin the new staff plot next week."

Effie states, "Ooooh"

Petal claims, "Oooh, can't wait to see what it is."

Ghed nods once, "I think it will be something different than what you are used to. I mean the oldbies mostly. It may go well, it may need adjustment, but I'm pretty certain it's a new thing."
Ghed questions to Temi, "Temi, why don't you tell us what you did this week?"

Temi states, "The normal requests and recommends and typos and questions, but not a lot besides that. Some lore things I need to dig into and some prep for the next big plot later in the year following Ghed's."

Ghed states, "(oh we also had a staff meeting and we went through a million topics)"
Temi nods in agreement with Ghed.

Temi says, "Lots of staff topicking."

Gnomely claims, "Sometimes I wonder what that looks like. Lol"

Ghed claims, "Like srsly some 15 topics, a machine gun rhythm"

Temi claims, "Lots of us disagreeing with each other, or agreeing, but then getting off track."

Temi grins.

Cal says, "Mostly the order in which they will kill us all."
Ghed has transferred Hawali.
Temi gives a small, tabletop podium carved out of fine polished walnut to Hawali.
Ghed queries to Leta, "Alright, how about yourself?"

PiousDavite claims, "The SPELLS huh"

PiousDavite claims, "That sounds like HERESY"

Ghed states, "Not if it's me"

Ghed says, "Then it's dogma"

PiousDavite claims, "Are you the lord"

Claude claims, "Lol"

Leta states, "Pretty quiet week for me, though I helped with a few player requests and handled the usual recommends, questions and typos alongside Ghed and Temi."

Leta states, "I look forward to running the physician miniplot that will get started soon =) With it comes the first two of our new diseases."

Ghed nodsnodsnods

Ghed states, "Alright, Eurus is busy IRL but he has been extremely active with some things that aren't inmediately visible, such as code language thingies, which should make new code easier and faster to implement"

Ghed claims, "He's also been fixing city metrics and looking at some other algorithms"
Temi nods in agreement.

Temi claims, "It should improve all our lives in the longterm, even if it's not quite clear when you look at it now."

Ghed states, "He's been hands down amazing"

Claude stares at the Matrix xcreen hypnotized

Ghed asks, "Alright people, let's move on to Player Heartbeat: how has the week been for y'all?"

Effie states, "Its been awesome"

Claude says, "Great :)"

Anonymous claims, "Lots of political stuff oging on"
Ghed has transferred Tasker.

Anonymous states, "Which is good"
Temi gives a small, tabletop podium carved out of fine polished walnut to Tasker.

A male voice states, "Greetings"

Effie claims, "Im a class traitor now and preparing for exile"

Gnomely states, "I've honestly been super distracted this week, but I've had a few good scenes. Had some good antagonism, that lead to a slightly emotional scene, but other then that, not much going on for me, directly."

Effie hands on hips

Temi states, "Sounds like good stuff."
say Thumbs up mostly.

Urtha claims, "Thumbs up mostly."

Petal says, "Pretty good, offpeak RP can be hit and miss. And rough when it comes to getting some things done (particularly medical stuffs). Slow at first this week and then picks up on the weekend and getting som good scenes in."
Tasker moves suddenly, revealing their position.
Tasker slowly fades into view.
They aren't here.

Ghed states, "Sounds like people have been very active"

Ghed states, "Lots of blades in the dark"

Anonymous squints at Ghed.

Tasker states, "Barely been on the past week! Was away for work. "

PiousDavite claims, "We have missed you very much"

Ghed queries, "Alright, is there anything bothering anyone about TI that can be shared here and now?"

Tasker claims, "I'm annoyed staff didn't approve my tony stark level power armour idea"
Temi says to Tasker, "We can feel good about that kind of annoyance."

Ghed pontificates, "Okay! Seems things are okay"
Temi grins.

Ghed claims, "Alright, time to move on to Player Topics."
Ghed claims to Saga, "You're up first"

Saga declaims, "Alright!"

Saga states, "Okay, so Ive been thinking a little bit about how to make The University a little more relevant. Right now, the way I see it, theres really two problems. While Ive found that its really cool that people have been supportive of me being the Dean, it doesnt really come with any kind of mechanical legitimacy other than a single asset. Im not asking for a lot, but surely it would make some degree of sense for The University as an institution to have some degree of influence on things. Im not really sure how to address this, as last time I checked it seemed rather unlikely that The Scholars would exist as a guild again."

PiousDavite says, "I would have wanted a tony stark power armor"

Saga asks, "Speaking of degrees, Ive been thinking about ways to make them, as well as roleplaying studying at The University more interesting. This is just a thought, but maybe it would be cool for someone with a degree to get an additional learn slot of some kind? I imagine an extra Grandmaster slot would probably be too much, but maybe an extra Master slot? Maybe you get more extra learn slots the further along in your studies you are? Im not sure. But, considering that there doesnt seem like theres too much to do for Nobles currently, this might offer an actual, tangible, mechanical benefit to studying. I mean, people in the upper echelon of society should have an incentive to get educated, right?"

Ghed says, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

Petal wonders, "Perhaps those teaching within the walls of the University get a bonus to it?"

Effie says, "I like the idea of there being more like idle rich activities"

Temi claims, "Yeah, we really don't have enough players for the existing guilds, so probably a big stretch to make scholars a guild again."

Temi says, "So other options are better, indeed."

Tasker claims, "I love any idea that fleshes the world out a bit more. Would be a good social thing for people to roleplay about. "
Effie nods.

Tasker says, "There could be a noble mean clique being all snooty to the rich gentry kids"

Ikeala asks, "Perhaps it could be an option written in as a reason for promotions/considerations in the other Guilds?"

Ghed states, "It's a good idea conceptually, but extra slots for participation in it are something I'm hesitatn about"

Effie states, "Theres only like 2 blooded nobles and the rest are elevated gentry tasker"

Temi claims, "Yeah, coordinating with other guildleaders and the seneschal for preferences for people who are working with the university would be great"

Effie states, "We're gonna get bullied at school"

Gnomely questions, "A teach bonus might be neat. I think slots are going a little far, but maybe some kind of temporary buff?"

Claude states, "Lol at Effie"

Ghed states, "Learn slots are scaled by intelligence, and give significant advantages to players, and yes we are not in the plans of making a scholar guild for now, therefore there's no fair way to give out special commands"

Ghed claims, "The idea sounds lovely on paper mind you and very original too"
say A university isn't really similar to a guild. Perhaps it could function more like a university. After X amount of class participation you get a IC/OOC degree. a.k.a marker that you have 'graduated'

Urtha claims, "A university isn't really similar to a guild. Perhaps it could function more like a university. After X amount of class participation you get a IC/OOC degree. a.k.a marker that you have 'graduated'"

Tasker says, "There could be an idea to bring over the 'faction' system from AE? Players could make temporary groups or factions that sort of act like guilds."

Effie says, "Tbh id rp for an irl year at the university for a special fancy tooled degree object"

Saga states, "Yeah, that's totally fair"

Effie claims, "And hang it on the wall"
Ghed says to Tasker, "Sorry, I don't think so, but also maybe a topic for another day"

Tasker states, "You've made a powerful enemy "
say Any way. I enjoyed the lecture scene

Urtha says, "Any way. I enjoyed the lecture scene"
Ghed says to Effie, "That's something I'd be 100 per cent okay with"
Ghed says to Urtha, "It was good"
Ghed states to Saga, "Let's talk about ways to enhance the uni, for sure"

Leta muses, "What about a teaching or pooling boost to the university rooms?"
say The university has always been under utilized. In part because there 's never been code with it? (I wasn't around when scholars were a think) It's nice that it is getting some attention again. I am all for it however it develops

Urtha says, "The university has always been under utilized. In part because there 's never been code with it? (I wasn't around when scholars were a think) It's nice that it is getting some attention again. I am all for it however it develops"

Leta states, "That's something we could implement, similar to how Madison provides faster healing. You could codedly learn faster attending lectures"

Saga declares, "I think that sounds cool! The extra learn slots was just the first thing that came to mind, but right now it doesn't really feel like there's any real mechanical incentive to do university stuff"

Ghed peers at Leta suspiciously, "That's actually pretty good."
Temi nods.

Temi states, "At least in the lecture halls, could make sense."

Ghed questions, "What do you folks think?"
Ghed nods at Temi.

Petal states, "I like that."

Effie says, "I like both those ideas"
Temi has transferred GeeBee.
Temi gives a small, tabletop podium carved out of fine polished walnut to GeeBee.

Ghed claims, "Okay, I'll write this down"
Ghed queries to Saga, "Anything else on this matter?"
say there should probably be some tuition/enrollment mechanic so that students have to pay for the privelege and the rooms don't just become a meta game magnet.

Urtha claims, "There should probably be some tuition/enrollment mechanic so that students have to pay for the privelege and the rooms don't just become a meta game magnet."
Effie nods.
Gnomely nods.

Saga pontificates, "I think that's it! And yeah, that too"

Saga claims, "I just wanted to get the idea out there"

Leta states, "Awesome =) We'll see what can be done"

Gnomely claims, "I like the idea of needing an enrollment fee."

Ghed claims, "Can easily script fees for entrance or something"

Ghed says, "Or the need to carry an item with you"

Ghed claims, "Anyways"
Ghed declares to Claude, "You're next!"

Claude says, "Is there a way to make commands delayed by a specified time limit? Like alias afl approach horse vertical bar vertical bar delay time 5 seconds vertical bar vertical bar mount horse."

Ghed states, "Sorry, that's not something supported from this side, it might be possible on your client side with some scripting"

Claude claims, "Oh ok. I'll read into that."

Petal states, "Yeah, entirely possible with client scripting."
Ghed nods at Claude.

Ghed says, "Alright, if that's it, Leta has a topic, then I have a topic"

Temi claims, "It's a good idea, but would probably complicate our code too much to add it in here."
Temi nods.

Leta declaims, "Just a reminder to write cnotes per help policy cnote. We've had a few cnote requests that revealed people were not documenting their finds. Whenever you find out character's secrets, make an OOC agreement about an IC outcome, choose to target someone, AND/OR share secrets about others, you need to cnote!"
Temi nods in agreement with Leta.

Leta says, "Especially with all this excellent scheming and antagonism going on, it's important. That's all =)"

Ghed states, "Yes please, it's very hard to us to investigate something out of the blue if players don't document"

Ghed says, "Even for minor stuff like player plots"

Leta states, "It also protects you as an antagonist or enforcer when you have documentation about your reasons to suspect/target people"

Ghed states, "Y'all wonderful, just let us know how badass you are through cnotes"
say I wonder if the cnote system could be expanded to make those sort of cnotes more common?

Urtha asks, "I wonder if the cnote system could be expanded to make those sort of cnotes more common?"
Leta queries to Urtha, "How so?"
say Not really sure. Just a passing thought. But some sort of sharing or collaborating on cnotes when it involves multi characters scheming or engaging on a cnote-worthy activity

Urtha claims, "Not really sure. Just a passing thought. But some sort of sharing or collaborating on cnotes when it involves multi characters scheming or engaging on a cnote-worthy activity"

Effie states, "Some examples of cnotes in a helpfile might be useful."

Effie says, "Like, an example for what a cnote should look like when you find out someone's secret, or plot against someone."

Tasker wonders, "Maybe there could be a template system? "
Like if 3 people plot to kill someone else. One person could write a cnote after the plotting scene, and it somehow get passed along to the others that participate.

Gnomely states, "I think it doesn't really have a format, or template."
say Like if 3 people plot to kill someone else. One person could write a cnote after the plotting scene, and it somehow get passed along to the others that participate.

Urtha states, "Like if 3 people plot to kill someone else. One person could write a cnote after the plotting scene, and it somehow get passed along to the others that participate."

Leta states, "What we need is the what, why, who"

Tasker claims, "To make sure accurate information is filled out, would be it easier for staff to read too."

Leta states, "And how, ideally"

Effie claims, "I don't think it does, which tbh - I need to belatedly write a few myself but I was having a hard time figuring out how I should phrase them and what information I should include."

Gnomely claims, "It can be done as just notes to yourself, or like journal entries almost. I kinda swap between both."

Gnomely states, "All they really need, are exactly what Leta said. What, Why, who and How."

Leta states, "They can be incredibly short. For example, 'My character Bob knows Suzy is a mage because he went to her house and saw her cast magic in the garden through the window.'"

Temi says, "More info is good, and they should only be accessible to you and staff. We're happy if you want to go for something fancy, but also happy with just 'Hey, Ghed told me that Leta is a mage.'"

Ghed claims, "A short template can be added to the helpfile"

Ghed says, "Nothing wrong with that, I can write it myself"

Temi states, "You can even copy paste an emote or letter into it if that's easier or helps"

Ghed claims, "That too, I do that a lot"
Gnomely nods at Temi.
Effie nods.
Leta nods at Temi.

Leta states, "Or 'My character Joe will be hexing Larry. Larry called Joe's wife a fat cow. That's rude, and Joe loves his wife the cow, so he'll be trying to make Larry suffer'."

Ghed says, "I even color highlight the interesting bits"

Leta says, "Point is; more info is lovely, and it certainly helps us, but the bare minimum is just a who what, how, why."
say Tangentially. My cnotes are a friggin' mess and I hate that I can't edit/fix them even though I understand why it isn't permitted.

Urtha states, "Tangentially. My cnotes are a friggin' mess and I hate that I can't edit/fix them even though I understand why it isn't permitted."
Ikeala nods.
Leta nods at Urtha.

Leta says, "We definitely don't want them to be retroactively edited, but I get the struggle =)"

Temi says, "You can always update them, and I think you can edit directly after creating it"

Claude says, "I get paranoid when people cnote around me. =D"
say Like I have a couple duplicates. I have copy/pasted relevant emotes only to discover that @f didn't handle it well. And I also copied something once that was automatically cnoted so I have a manual and auto version of the same thing. It's like I have a dirty locker, but it's preserved in resin and I can't clean it.

Urtha says, "Like I have a couple duplicates. I have copy/pasted relevant emotes only to discover that @f didn't handle it well. And I also copied something once that was automatically cnoted so I have a manual and auto version of the same thing. It's like I have a dirty locker, but it's preserved in resin and I can't clean it. "

Gnomely trails off, "Maybe if we can't edit cnotes..."

Leta states, "Ah-- one last thing on the cnote topic. If you're ever concerned about a cnote or want staff to give your cotes a check, don't hesitate to reach out. We're happy to provide a bit of feedback. We don't bite, promise =)"

Gnomely wonders, "The code, does it allow for merging them?"

Gnomely questions, "Like if you have two cnotes about the same person, could you merge them into one cnote?"

Ghed says, "I don't know"
Ghed asks of Temi, "Can we?"

Temi states, "Might be reasonable to be able to change names or merge like update works... I don't think that exists now, though, would be new code."

Tasker says, "Would be cool if you could make people categories"

Gnomely says, "Yeah"

GeeBee says, "Ooh, I like that :0"

Gnomely states, "Technically you can use the remember system like that."

Ikeala claims, "You can just start notes with someone's name and add updates underneath their name."

Gnomely claims, "But it's very finicky and uneditable."
Leta claims to Gnomely, "I don't think there's a command to merge, but you can certainly update your cnote. It's reasonable to keep a single cnote with all your dirt on an individual."

Tasker states, "Like Cnote new <character> <title>"
Leta nods at Ikeala.
Temi nods at Leta.

Gnomely trails off, "I wonder if the remember system was like, prototype cnotes... "

Ghed says, "Okay, let's move on to my own topic"
Gnomely nods at Ghed.

Ghed is typing

Tasker says, "Smh didn't pre=type"
Petal grins.

Ghed questions, "Okay, we have a bit of a situation with the Mage Cap. As you know, TI has a certain max proportion of active mages on grid at any one point. This ensures that mages are infrequent enough to matter, and that not everyone but the Order becomes a mage, defeating the theme of a religiously oppressive community.

The Mage Cap is maxed and has been for a while. Some reasons for it are: that some mages are barely active; others are mages but don't 'mage', they don't cast spells or RP magery; yet another thing is that returning mage players become active and then add to the mage pop.

With that in mind, we have considered some solutions. The most obvious is to raise the mage cap, but that won't solve anything, the same problem will happen again in one week or two. Another is to purge mages that have less than 1 online hour total (they never left chargen probably) after 1 month of no logins. Yet another, and we are considering this, to make magery go with a system similar to nobles. Presently inactive but returning nobles are put in a special room, and need staff approval to return to grid. We might add this for mages who have been inactive for six weeks or more. What do you guys think?"

Petal queries, "When the mage cap is reached does that mean no more latents are made in char gen?"

Claude says, "Sounds good to me."

Effie queries, "Treating them like nobles could be cool. or what if magery was like a 'use it or lose it' thing?"
Leta claims to Petal, "There's still a chance of latency, but they won't be auto-awakened"
Leta nods at Effie.

Tasker muses, "...This is a big problem. It sounds good, they should be rare in theme. Treating it like nobles would be cool but offing the character if they don't become active is a bit extreme, perhaps there could be a way that a mage that goes very inactive could 'loose' their magic, and would potentially have to be awakened once more if they did happen to return to the game?"

Petal says, "I think clearing out 1 hour ones is a good idea, along with the returning ones room."

Ghed claims, "Not offing"

Ghed claims, "Just putting off-grid"

PiousDavite claims, "I think that removing magery from inactives is probably the best one"

Effie states, "Ohh having them need to be reawakened could be cool if they lose their magery because it forces mage rp"

Ghed states, "We did discuss depowering inactive mages, yes, briefly"
Leta states to Tasker, "The idea with an inactivity room is just that you can't auto-return to an active mage if you've hit 6 weeks of inactivity"

Tasker states, "Yeah, s'what I mean. They could be off-gridded and lose their magic. "

Leta states, "We won't wipe you, but we won't just let you pop back in, either."

Cal questions, "What is the purge limit now?"
say Some sort of mechanics that makes mages that don't ever mage get weird side effects. Maybe someting rlated to the proposed more visible latency changes?

Urtha questions, "Some sort of mechanics that makes mages that don't ever mage get weird side effects. Maybe someting rlated to the proposed more visible latency changes?"

PiousDavite says, "I do know one person who has been wanting to make a mage but the mage cap blocked them"
Ghed says to Cal, "6 months if less than 500 rp hours"
Ghed nods at PiousDavite.

Hawali states, "Mages who don't mage shoud get really, really sick."
Ghed says to PiousDavite, "I know more than one, and I want to provide a fix"

Leta says, "We've had several complaints about people being unable to mage"

Ghed says, "Or start losing skill ranks"
Temi claims to Hawali, "Sickness.. that's an interesting idea"

Ghed slow shrugs

Leta declaims, "We are adding magic diseases.... a disease for not magic-ing would be fun!"

Tasker states, "Oh god. Dragon pox. "
Leta grins.

Cal wonders, "And statistically speaking is there a statistically significant part of that pool that is contributing to the cap?"

Gnomely questions, "But how would that function ICly? How would you prevent people from metagaming the disease?"

Ghed says, "Okay, the feel I get from the room is that nobody is against this step, specifically"

PiousDavite says, "I have a query"
Ghed queries to PiousDavite, "Yep?"
Leta says to Gnomely, "We would make it something that would not out the mage, but would require magic to treat"

PiousDavite states, "When you say mages who don't mage are you don't about mages who don't do ANYTHING with magic at all or mages who dont publicly cause problems and antagonize"

Tasker says, "I think it's required. I have a big pet peeve with mage characters who never actually do mage stuff. "
Leta states to PiousDavite, "Nothing"

Penelope questions, "Can I ask a question after you answer one?"

Leta states, "There are mages who do not evoke for OOC weeks-months"
Gnomely muses to Leta, "But how do you make it so people don't use meta knowledge to assume you're a mage because you got the mage sick?"

PiousDavite says, "Thats a bit... weird."

Temi states, "People do seem pretty supportive of the inactive room, which was our top idea so far. We were less happy so far with our how to keep mages magicking idea on our own."
Effie nods.
Ghed says to PiousDavite, "That's fairly common. Or they evoke once per week at most"

PiousDavite states, "Meanwhile"
Ghed asks of PiousDavite, "Does that answer your question?"
Leta says to Gnomely, "It would not be readily apparent to mundanes that you were mage sick. It would mostly cause internal effects"

PiousDavite states, "Im spamming the wiznet channel to hell and back with 10 evokes an hour"
Ghed wonders to Penelope, "You had a q?"
Leta questions to PiousDavite, "Really? We hadn't noticed"
Leta grins.

Penelope asks, "What if you made mages app in like nobles?"

PiousDavite claims, "Oh that means you want MORE"

PiousDavite claims, "Oik"
Leta declaims to Penelope, "We certainly considered that!"
Ghed nods.

Leta muses, "Would that be something folks would be interested in?"

River says, "No."

Cal says, "I do like the idea of having a tolerance for magic. The more you cast the more dependant you become "

Penelope claims, "That way you can get a sense for the character and their goals. Instead of just letting people sit on mage spots and not do anything."

Ghed trails off, "It would add to staff workload a fair bit, but if people think it'd be good..."

PiousDavite says, "I don't like magery being app-in only"

Temi says, "We considered that possibility, but noble applications are in part to help try to keep lore consistent (which is already way tough)"

PiousDavite claims, "I do like removin gmagic from inactives. /opinions"
Ghed nods at PiousDavite.

Effie wonders, "Maybe latency in chargen, awakened mages are app-in?"

Hawali claims, "I'm not a fan of app-in only."

Tasker claims, "Yeah I dunno if I'm a fan of that. I don't think it's required if we remove inactives."

Temi claims, "Which we don't need to track for mages"

Effie states, "Because youre skipping the awakening rp"
say There's something kinda thrilling about there being a small chance a non mage character concept is actually a latent even if they didn't app-in initially. Wouldn't want to give that up

Urtha claims, "There's something kinda thrilling about there being a small chance a non mage character concept is actually a latent even if they didn't app-in initially. Wouldn't want to give that up"

PiousDavite asks, "Do latents count towards mage cap?"
Ghed nods at Urtha.

Tasker claims, "Nobles are app-only because they're very thematically important and have to be a certain way"

Tasker says, "But mages can be anybody"

Ghed says, "Latents count, but the math is slightly different"
PiousDavite nods.

Effie states, "Thats a good point"

Temi claims, "We could try just one thing to start with and ramp up if there's still big problems"
say Well, anybody except orderites

Urtha claims, "Well, anybody except orderites"
Gnomely nods at Temi.
Ghed nods at Temi.
Effie nods.

Ikeala states, "Yes, but I think one thing is ... are people making mages because they see being a mage as a central part of the character or just for mechanics? Because folks who tend towards the latter might be less well inclined to RP about it etc. "

Ghed states, "I'm more inclined to let anyone roll in a mage, but maybe give them stronger incentives for casting spells"
Ghed nods at Ikeala.
Ghed wonders to Ikeala, "It's a bit inevitable, no?"
Ghed has transferred trogdor.

River trails off, "Ii'd say most people make mages because they think magic is interesting. But then apparently there are all these mages that never cast a spell..."
Effie finishes her note.

River peers about.

Ghed states, "Some like to have the potential of casting and stuff"

Ghed says, "Or just want magecraft recipes, or just want merely one or two spells"

Claude says, "One of my other chars used to cast a lot."

Trogdor states, "This is what happens when i come to a meeting late, mischief and magery"

Cal trails off, "I went years without having a mage, got one and found out they were a lot of work so maybe people are like that? Like... magic is hard, I don't wanna be one any more "
Ghed grins.

Tasker states, "Oh shit it's the feds"

Ghed says, "Okay"

Ghed says, "We have a final topic sent to me by tell"
Effie finishes her note.

Ghed just asked the player to post it or tell me to post it

Ikeala claims, "So this is actually related to this very topic. I know that a lot of magic helpfiles have been historically left vague on purpose but the Awakening helpfile as it's written tends to leave some questions for both sides of the equation that could potentially be addressed."

Ghed wonders, "Such as?"

Ghed is curious!

Ikeala wonders, "What determines the Element of the Latent? Is it based on the Awakener? Is it random? Is it as I've heard the rumor based on how many other mages there are already of certain Elements?"

Temi claims, "It is selected by code, but I'm not sure how."

Tasker claims, "Sounds like a thing that would be cool to discover IC'ly and record the knowledge."

Gnomely claims, "Historically, I thought that the latent could pick their element in chargen. Even if they're coming in unawoken."

Temi says, "I don't know that it's something we would want characters to know how it works definitively from us."

Effie says, "You used to be able to pick your latent element in chargen"

Temi states, "I believe the latent chance ones don't, but if you're selecting as a part of the mage counts, you can."
Effie nods.

PiousDavite says, "There was an awakening scene lately but we didn't know what the threads or echoes to the room would be beforehand. Thankfully they ended up lining up by happenstance."
Effie aborts writing her note.

Effie finishes her note.

Effie finishes her note.

Temi muses, "Is that the only concern about what info is in the helpfile?"

Ikeala states, "I'm not sure brand new players would know that difference. Or know that if they end up a mage they might not be able to pick their Element as chargen explains things."

Temi says, "If there's a place it says they can pick, we can remove that."

Temi states, "Though I'm not sure where that is"

Ghed claims, "We can clarify, sure, I like to clarify helpfiles wherever possible"

Ghed states, "But let me discuss it with staff first"

Ikeala says, "Like I guess I get trying to keep the mystery et al but ... if present/older players are telling newer folks the wrong info (they'll get to pick etc) that seems not ideal. Just a thought, really."

Cal states, "I like the chance of randomness personally, but think it should be determined earlier when you start looking at how you handle "strange things" happening to latents "
Effie nods at Cal.
Ikeala nods.

Gnomely asks, "Maybe a latent can have dreams that function as a questionairre that decides their element over time?"

Gnomely states, "That might be a bit more complicated, but my mind went to those personality tests. Lol"

Ikeala states, "Anyways thanks for fielding it for discussion."

Temi claims, "I do agree that older players giving people bad info is bad."

Effie states, "I'd probably be a bit disappointed if i started ramping up in one direction during latency and got attached and then got awakened as something else"

Effie claims, "If i'm prepared for it to be random then it's more exciting"

Temi states, "I think we had discussed toning down the promises that latents should have more weird experiences in the helpfile, because it just isn't consistent with characters not knowing they are latent until later"
Effie nods.

Temi states, "So we'll follow-up on that."
Ghed tells you, "Yeah, we have it on our talking points, we just haven't gotten to it yet"

Temi claims, "Though I kind of like some automated dreams later on once they start knowing they are latent, post cyan-status"
Ghed nods.
Effie nods.
Gnomely nods.

Temi claims, "Which could be based on element, if it's randomly selected at that point"

Ikeala states, "Or special pvents maybe? Dreams are fun though."
Hawali has lost link.
say Some regular random dream code for everyone (lantents and non-latents) could be fun too, just so you're like, Oh another wierd dream... wait a minute... that was a REALLY wierd dream. OH NOES.

Urtha says, "Some regular random dream code for everyone (lantents and non-latents) could be fun too, just so you're like, Oh another wierd dream... wait a minute... that was a REALLY wierd dream. OH NOES."
Temi nods.

Temi states, "We'll discuss some more on that. And if there's bad info in helpfiles or chargen or anywhere, please do let us know"
Ghed nods.

Ghed claims, "Okay we're 5 minutes past the hour"

Ghed states, "I wanna thank y'all for coming today, and I'll send you back to grid"

Ghed claims, "Please remember to post rumors, cnote discoveries, and recommend each other for meaningful RP =)"
Effie stops using a simple birch and paper fan decorated with colourful birds.
Effie holds a small, tabletop podium carved out of fine polished walnut in her hand.

Effie gives a loud thump of her hand on the top of her wooden podium.
Gnomely grins at Effie.

Gnomely gives a loud thump of his hand on the top of his wooden podium.

Gnomely gives a loud thump of his hand on the top of his wooden podium.

Ghed trails off, "Sending you in 3..."

Ghed trails off, "2..."
Gnomely stops using a small, tabletop podium carved out of fine polished walnut.

Ghed trails off, "1..."

• Information