Log of OOC Meeting - 2022-07-23

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Dazzl
Discord Handle: MazzleDazz

Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:18 pm

Ghed claims, "Alright, we're ready to begin I'd say" 

Ghed questions, "Before we begin, folks, here's a reminder of the OOC Chat Pact: Everyone on TI does
the best they can, given what they know at the time, their skills and abilities, the resources 
available, and the situation at hand. We will be respectful of this and each other at all times."

Today's Agenda is:
   - Staff Updates
   - Player Heartbeat
   - Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today? If you
register a topic, please pre-write it so you're ready to present it when called upon.

Finally, who wants to scribe for today?"

A tumbleweed rolls by.

Ghed muses, "No one?"

Temi claims, "There's QP in it" 

Hawali claims, "I can't - gotta bounce in a bit." 

Ghed shrugs slowly, "Alright! Just let us know if you change your mind."

Dazzl states, "I could be scribe, if no one else wants to."

Ghed exclaims, "Okay!"

Ghed has transferred River.  [OOC]

Ghed states, "Let's begin with staff updates"

Temi gives a parchment scroll capped with labyrinthine painted designs to River.

Ghed claims, "This week I handled a little side plot for a few of you, plus a small dose of policy
and a motherload of player requests"

Ghed claims, "I'm finishing prep for the next big staff plot"

Ghed wonders to Leta, "Am I forgetting anything?"

[OOC] Jasmine: "Has the meeting already started?"

[OOC] Ghed: "Just now"

Ghed states, "Oh, I think she's afk"

[OOC] Jasmine: "Can I get in on that"

Ghed states to Temi, "What about you! You're next."

Ghed has transferred Jasmine.  [OOC]

Temi grins.

Temi gives a parchment scroll capped with labyrinthine painted designs to Jasmine. 

Temi claims, "Well, I've done some small bit of testing, and I did some clean up of old assets that
were clogging the market."

Temi says, "But no big progress on anything to report yet, I'm afraid."

Temi nods at Ghed. 

Ghed says, "She cleaned like 300 obsolete assets gathering dust"

Ghed muses to Leta, "How about you? Are you back?"

Ghed smiles.

Leta waves. 

Leta declaims, "Yes! Hello!" 

Leta states, "I continued my rare restocks and foraging venture. I spent a fair bit of time editing
helpfiles and adding XP bonuses and language skill to our cyan players. I am also working on new 
diseases with Eurus, two of which are almost ready for implementation."

Ghed states, "Really cool diseases"

Ghed claims, "Makes me wish I got infected"

Leta claims, "I also handled the usual requests, recommends, questions and builds alongside Temi and
Ghed."

Ghed says, "I did not just say that out loud"

Ghed states, "Excellent thanks"

Ghed muses to Eurus, "How about you?" 

Eurus pontificates, "Updated contest, added effort for stats, fixed up some bugs with chargen and
roles. That's most of it!" 

Ghed claims, "That's a lot, specially the first two" 

Ghed states, "It's so good to get contest back on track, and being able to effort"

Ghed pontificates, "Just be careful around Constitution!"

Hawali claims, "I have a bunch of recommends that I need to -write-."

Leta smiles at Hawali.

Ghed nods at Hawali.

Ghed says, "Never a bad thing"

Ghed says, "It really makes people's day better"

Leta declares, "We love approving them, so keep 'em coming!"

Ghed queries, "Alright people, let's move on to Player Heartbeat: how has the week been for y'all?"

Hawali states, "Totes. I go read through my list every now and then just to feel fancy."

Jasmine claims, "Work keeping me busy but fitting in a lot of roleplay this week"

Ghed queries, "It does seem like we've had a good July, no? I see so many cyans"

Gnomely states, "Its been going good for me. I've been enjoying rejoining the game. I missed last
week's meeting, but I've been back for about 2 weeks now. It's been fun. Had a lot of interesting 
RP."

Hawali states, "I've been getting some awesome interactions in with characters I haven't played with
before,"

Ghed says to Gnomely, "We're happy to have you back"

Ghed says to Hawali, "Ain't that sweet"

Dazzl pontificates, "Its been pretty good on my end. Really happy to see all the new players!"

Ghed nods. 

Crayon states, "It's gone pretty well! It's been my first week and I've gotten hooked into RP with a
few players. Staff are usually happy to help. It's been a pretty smooth learning experience as a new 
player here."

Ghed declaims, "From what I gather from the newbie survey, the general opinion towards the more
established players is that they are nice and welcoming! So good work, people"

Ghed muses, "Alright, is there anything bothering anyone about TI that can be shared here and now?"

Hawali states, "Apparently not."

Leta declares to Crayon, "Welcome! We're glad to have you!"

Ghed exclaims, "No complaints? No complaint!"

Ghed says, "Alright, time to move on to Player Topics."

Ghed queries, "... I've no topics registered, it seems! Does anyone want to bring something up?"

Hawali claims, "I'll comment on how smoothly the transition between game implementors has gone."

Ghed says, "Well, I couldn't agree more"

Ghed says, "Kin has continued to provide assistance at a distance, btw"

Ghed queries, "Okay, no one else?"

Ghed makes the John Travolta meme of looking around, palms upwards.

mono wonders, "I might have a thing about latency?"

Ghed questions to mono, "Yep?"

Leta nods at mono.

Jasmine says, "I did actually have a topic"

Ghed nods at Jasmine.

Ghed states, "Noted after mono"

Ghed muses, "Mono, are you with us?"

mono pontificates, "Sorry, yes!"

Ghed nods. 

Jasmine says, "I think they are prompting to go ahead with your topic, mono" 

mono questions, "So, if I understand things correctly, when the mage population is low, you're
allowed to purchase latency in chargen, right? But, right now, when that's not possible, is there a 
functional way to roleplay a character who suspects they're latent? I mean, the helpfiles mention 
something about latent characters sometimes feeling different, so I assume that your character might 
have a suspicion that they are? But since whether or not you're latent isn't available information 
OOC or IC, it seems like that kind of thing is impossible to roleplay?"

River asks, "They're probably writing it?"

Leta states, "This has come up repeatedly recently! We're working on some fixes, but they're not in
yet."

A male voice claims, "I think that if you type 'purchase' by itself, you can see if you're latent.
Key word being think."

Jasmine says, "You also get a notification oocly once you are out of cyan, but it takes A WHILE"

Ghed states, "There is no actual coded mechanism that makes you feel 'a little different', it's just
rp at the moment"

Ghed states, "You get told crystal clear if you're a latent or not, eventually"

Ghed queries to mono, "Does that answer your question?"

Temi says, "Just not right off the bat, since it's generally expected that there's more to get into
the character than dealing with that straight off."

Hawali says, "I will note that long, long, long ago, I had a character who was a little off but not
a mage, and somebody took that as latency and tried to awaken her. I was reaaaally disappointed that 
lightning didn't strike, because one of the helpfiles at that time said that trying to awaken a non-
mage was extremely dangerous. It would be excellent if while you are working on this stuff, you 
peeked into that aspect as well."

Leta nods at Hawali.

Ghed nods at Hawali. 

Ghed says, "Duly noted" 

Leta claims, "Noted. I'll make sure it's in talking points."

mono declares, "Yeah, that's totally fine! But it seems like if you make a new character and you
have no idea whether or not tehy're latent, you can't really do the whole 'oh, I always felt 
different since I was a young child' thing"

A male voice states, "Also the awaken command can't be used on someone who has less tha n75 rp
hours"

Ghed nods at mono.

Ghed says, "It makes sense, it's a bit of circular evidence for a player to act on" 

Ghed states, "We are well aware, yep, and we're working on it :)"

Ghed nods at the male voice.

Ghed states to Jasmine, "You had a topic, Yas" 

Jasmine claims, "I am prefacing with this is a bit long but it has stemmed from lots of conversation
with players from other games w/ rich crafting" 

Jasmine states, "Something I wanted to propose for the game--please note that this is geared mostly
towards the art skill specifically, but I could see how it could also easily affect every crafting 
skill, and I can see both good and bad stemming from it, so please take with a grain of salt:" 

Jasmine claims, "I'd like to propose appending skill-at-time-of-crafting onto an item, either at the
bottom of the desc, or on appraise. Something like 'This was made by a capable artist' or 'This was 
made by a master artist'.

I have noticed, in art specifically but also every other craft, that early-level crafts often get
devalued by the playerbase in general. Such as charcoal sketches. Unlike IRL where some artists may 
choose entirely to work in the medium of charcoal, a lot of players sort of wave off the sketch as 
very simple, despite the amount of skill and depth that could actually go into it. Its such a low 
craft, after all, and some of that 'low level disregard' hits it."

Jasmine states, "If there was a way to say, yeah this is a charcoal sketch, but its actually done by
a master, codedly, it might change how the playerbase mentally values that sketch. This won't affect 
the actual skill in describing the artwork of course, but it will affect the 'i just hit high enough 
to craft this and I have made a technical masterpiece with no errors whatsoever'. It won't affect 
later crafts because of how the skill system works, but those are already dseired if they're wanted 
for the rarity alone.

This also easily applies to other crafts, and could be used to explain things like why a Master
Merchant is charging you 3x what a Journeyman is for the basic linen outfit, despite actually 
getting a material discount from the full outfit craft--the craftsmanship is simply better."

Temi says, "Could be nice to have it, especially in a master sort of case." 

Ghed is reading

Temi says, "I don't know if the new crafters would appreciate a 'This appears to have been made by a
novice.'"

Ghed says, "I agree with the philosophy"

Ghed says, "You assume that if someone makes a basic craft, they are unskilled"

Jasmine says, "But per policy we should be tooling thing based off of their skill level anyways"

Ghed says, "Something like this could show up on appraise"

Jasmine says, "An unskilled artist shouldn't be tooling a da vinci masterpiece when they finally did
their first sketch without failing"

Jasmine claims, "For example"

Cal trails off, "Likewise someone who has spent their whole artistic career doing charcoal drawings
might suck at making nesting dolls..."

Temi states, "Maybe a certain number of ranks over the base level."

Ghed nods. 

Crayon claims, "As a new crafter, I think this would be a huge improvement, especially for things
like charcoal sketches or watercolor paintings as mentioned in artwork crafts. I'd had the same 
thought actually." 

Temi muses, "Would it be valuable to you on appraise, or only if it showed up with look?" 

Jasmine states, "This is more to add value to lower-level crafts, since the higher levels won't be
affected by it, but already the game seems to view low-level crafts as 'grind fodder' and ignore 
them after"

[RPXP Gain: none] [HP:perfect MV:tired P:walk] (bathed)    6:30PM (Lithmorran)

Ghed nods. 

Jasmine says, "I'm OK with it being on appraise, so that there's something to point at" 

Ghed remembers chainmail armor 

Jasmine says, "Perhaps even we could add a small amount to value with skill rank, even if its just
small, it would also affect resale in auction house and merchant appraise" 

Crayon says, "It would be nice to be able to see the difference between a charcoal sketch made by
somebody with 10 art skill and one made by somebody with 75." 

Gnomely claims, "I can get behind this idea. Especially with how the effort command works."

Leta nods at Crayon.
Leta nods at Jasmine.
Leta nods at Gnomely.

Gnomely says, "You could be a masterpiece artist, but you want to RP learning a new kind of art. You
could effort yourself to 0 so that your clay sculptures look like ass while your paintings look 
amazing." 

[OOC] Ghed nods 

Jasmine says, "That sounds really fun actually"

Dazzl exclaims, "I dig it!"

River says, "They're just avant garde."

Hawali claims, "I'll commission that sculpture of an ass."

Gnomely nods at Hawali.

Ghed states to Jasmine, "Okay. I like it. I think we're gonna discuss it among staffs." 

[OOC] Ghed: "Unfortunately, very true" 

[OOC] Ghed: "OMG GHED STOP" 

Jasmine pontificates, "All I want, ty for listening!" 

Ghed claims, "So consider it a thumbs-up"

Ghed nods. 

Ghed questions, "Anyone else got something to bring up?"

[OOC] Crayon: "Oh my ghed" 

Ghed claims, "Okay, if nobody has anything else, we can send y'all back to grid"  

Ghed says, "Have a good weekend folks, remember there's a party going on now at Whitemarsh Keep, you
get there via a carriage to the East Gate"

Hawali waves.

Crayon waves. 

Ghed says, "Please remember to post rumors, cnote discoveries, and recommend each other for
meaningful RP =)"

Leta waves. 

Ghed trails off, "Warping out in 3..." 

Ghed trails off, "2..." 

Ghed trails off, "1..." 

Leta says, "If we can help, please don't hesitate to reach out =)"

• Information