Log of OOC Meeting - 2022-04-24

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

MUDnoob

Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:06 pm

Kinaed claims, "A reminder of the OOC Chat Pact: Regardless of what we discuss, we understand and truly believe that everyone on TI does the best they can, given what they know at the time, their skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand. We will be respectful of this and each other at all times."

Kinaed claims, "Today's Agenda is:

- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today? If you register a topic, please pre-write it so you're ready to present it when called upon."

Saviero states, "Sure, add me to the list."

Kinaed states to Saviero, "Got you. :)"

Kinaed declares, "Anyone else? Going once...!"

Kinaed claims, "Going twice."

Jehu says, "I have a plain question. lol"

Kinaed trails off, "Okay, kicking off Staff Updates - I was on vacation for three weeks, but I set up the Easter Egg hunt before I left. It looked like people had fun..."

Ikeala claims, "I've got something if there's time."

Kinaed states to Jehu, "I'll call on you in a bit."

Kinaed claims to Ikeala, "Got you too"

Lans says, "Even I got 2 eggs -- today"

Leta grins.

Flower cheers for eggs.

Kinaed states, "Interesting. I thought I set the decay for April 19th, but must have been mathematically off."

Earthworm claims, "I found some eggs"

Deedee muses, "Does Joanna get eggs?"

Kinaed states, "Nice :) "

Jehu says, "I bet it took some food off grid. lol All that fitness draning."

Ghed states, "Good for pooling cooking, and making money"

Temi grins.

Kinaed claims, "I hope this means it was enjoyed. A Big Thank You to staff for holding down the fort for me and giving out rewards for me while I was away."

Kinaed wonders, "Next up - Ghed, would you update us about your week?"

Ghed says, "Yeah"

Ghed claims, "I did a bit less work this week bc of exams -- minor requests, recommends, tossed a rumor, some investigation plots (I know I owe at least one, I haven't forgotten about you)"

Ghed states, "The Crimson Troupe plot is progressing, and there will be developments soonish now that I have more time"

Kinaed smiles.

Ghed states, "I hope everyone has had a chance, if so inclined, to witness the minigame"

Earthworm states, "I did. It was very bloody"

Temi grins.

Kinaed states, "I hope that's approving and everyone is enjoying the plot :)"

Temi says, "Well, such a thing should be bloody, I think."

Temi nods in agreement.

Kinaed claims to Ghed, "Thank you for running :)"

Jehu says, "Definitely entertianing"

Leta says, "I mean it's called the Crimson Troupe for a reason. Green Troupe doesn't feel nearly so ominous"

Leta nods seriously.

Kinaed grins.

Ghed grins at Leta.

Kinaed questions to Leta, "You're up next :) Please tell us about your week?"

Earthworm says, "I want to see the Green Troupe now too."

Leta nods.

Temi states, "Well, there was a certain jade 'troupe' that was pretty ominous."

Leta states, "This week I handled the usual requests, recommends, questions and a phome build or two alongside Ghed and Temi. I updated a few helpfiles, fixed a few inconsistent recipes in crafting, and procrastinated many of the specs I need to write. What I did do is update the QP shops to xterm and add some new things for purchase. For your QP-spending pleasure =)"

Leta trails off to Temi, "Ah, you are correct... Pink Troupe, then"

Kinaed smiles.

Leta states, "If you have any recommendations as to what would be a good addition to the QP shops, I am all ears. Just shoot me a tell"

Kinaed states, "Thank you for that work. :)"

Kinaed muses to Temi, "Lucky last :) How was your week, Temi?"

Temi claims, "Nothing too out of the ordinary for me. Was gone for a family visit last weekend, which was very nice. And got some plots done this week, but not a whole lot in addition to that."

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Kinaed says, "The plot work is still appreciated, thank you :)"

Deedee nods in agreement.

Temi nods at Kinaed.

Flower claims, "Thanks for dealing with my plots, almost back to back."

Leta says, "We like seeing plots. It means folks are scheming and investigating and generating RP =)"

Kinaed nods at Leta.

Kinaed says, "Our programming staff aren't available at this time, but I know they've been busy as well. We've had several bug fixes that I've seen go in, and I want to say a big thanks, even in their absence, to Salem and Masnuva."

Kinaed wonders, "That wraps it up for Staff Updates, so let's look to Players! How was the game for you last week, folks?"

Jehu claps for the programmers

Earthworm states, "It was good minus some crafting problem.s"

Kinaed questions to Earthworm, "What crafting problems? *curious*"

Earthworm states, "I have typo and request board notes on it."

Kinaed states to Earthworm, "Oh, okay. Thank you :)"

Temi claims, "They are probably actually bug boards."

Kinaed says, "I'll make sure to have a look when I catch up with my notes today."

Earthworm states, "Yes, they're in bugs not typos, sorry"

Deedee says, "Haven't had much time to play myself, hoping to get a scene in after the meeting"

Kinaed smiles.

Jasmine claims, "IRL has just been unrelenting the past bit, haven't been as active but happy to have some time to get some RP back in now"

Temi says, "But yeah, probably needs coding changes."

Kinaed nods.

Jehu states, "Good. Eggs made me find some places I'd never thought of."

Kinaed states, "It is nice to see a healthy wholist, for sure."

Kinaed states to Jehu, "Oh, that's great :)"

Violet declaims, "Hosting an event today! Excited to see how it goes"

Kinaed says to Violet, "Sweet :)"

Flower states, "Can't wait to come to the event. They are always great. "

Lans states, "I will check for attendance."

Lans claims, "And act accordingly."

Flower grins.

Anonymous squints at Lans.

Kinaed says, "Thanks everyone :)"

Kinaed trails off, "Next up..."

Kinaed asks of Saviero, "Would you mind kicking off Player Topics?"

Saviero says, "Not a formal query, just wondering how your holiday was? Hopefully nice and relaxing."

Kinaed says, "It was good, yep. I needed it for sure :)"

Saviero pontificates, "Excellent!"

Kinaed says, "We went to Fiji, and the weather was perfect."

Ghed states, "That sounds a ma zing"

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed questions to Saviero, "Was that your Player Topic or just a general question? :)"

Saviero declares, "That was it!"

Kinaed smiles.

Temi grins.

Kinaed declares to Saviero, "Thanks! :)"

Kinaed questions to Jehu, "That means you're up next - you had a question, you said?"

Jehu states, "Is there a way to light up an room nearby so you can look into it? I tried slipping a candle that was lit into the next room but don't think that worked."

Kinaed questions, "Oh, that's interesting. Can we throw things into other rooms?"

Kinaed says, "You know, I don't think we can."

Temi states, "I believe you can look into additional rooms with a lantern but not a candle."

Violet says, "You can slip objects to other rooms, which ig is kinda throwing equivalent"

Temi ponders.

Kinaed says this after reading a few help files.

Kinaed says, "Try slipping a light in and let us know? HELP SLIP."

Jehu claims, "Okie doke. I'll try a lantern that's lit and write something on a board."

Temi claims, "I mean, while using the lantern"

Jehu says, "Oh ok."

Temi says, "The way lights work, I think a slipped one would be off."

Temi states, "Since they light when held, or when using the light command. Slip may not work."

Jasmine says, "Yeah if you have an oil lamp, it allows you to scan and get a readout of other rooms, even if they're dark"

Violet states, "Lanterns are def better than candles"

Jasmine states, "But I don't believe held lanters allow you to look, I think they just work with scan"

Deedee states, "While using a lantern, you can scan into the next room, but not look"

Kinaed states, "Interesting. If we can test this out, then write it up on the bug board, we can probably make look and scan align."

Temi queries, "Ah, does that fill the need?"

Deedee claims, "The slip trick does work, but you'll need to set it down, light it, then slip"

Kinaed declares to Deedee, "Oh, good to know. Thank you!"

Jehu states, "Thanks"

Kinaed says, "So it sounds like we do have a working option."

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed claims, "If you test it and it doesn't work, please bug board us."

Deedee states, "There's one more trick"

Deedee states, "You can give the light to a retainer"

Saviero states, "Might want to update the 'scan' helpfile, as it doesn't mention lanterns, just 'it will not return information from dark rooms'."

Deedee claims, "And just order them to go in first"

Kinaed nods at Saviero.

Kinaed makes a note

Ghed says to Deedee, "That's just cruel"

Jehu claims, "Lol"

Deedee declaims, "That's what I'm paying them for!"

Ikeala states, "If you have trouble seeing in the dark, there's other ways to rectify that too. Just saying."

Leta grins.

Kinaed coughs and looks innocent.

Kinaed queries to Ikeala, "You're up next :) Please introduce us to your topic?"

Ikeala questions, "So, I've noticed that it seems that buying things while hooded has been universally disabled. Is that a permanent change?"

Kinaed says, "I think it's always been that way except in criminal shops."

Kinaed claims, "Maybe we changed it when diseases came in."

Kinaed ponders.

Deedee asks, "Is it not working in seedy shops now?"

Kinaed says, "I think we changed it when diseases came in, so it's probably a bug."

Temi states, "I think there's supposed to be a way to set it seedy shops, but we were having problems tracking it down."

Deedee nods.

Kinaed claims, "I'd report it as a bug, but when you do, please let us know which specific shops you've tried."

Kinaed states, "That's everyone who registered a topic. :)"

Kinaed wonders, "May I ask a few questions about how some things are going? For example, has the invite command gotten more traction? What about people buying roles? How is that affecting things?"

Ikeala states, "Well it didn't work in the Blind Horse which I guess I assumed was seedy enough, maybe not. Haha. But I can start a list."

Deedee claims, "One request on the purchase thing"

Kinaed nods at Ikeala.

Ghed states, "It's not working as intended I think"

Deedee muses, "Could it give a pboard to the guild when someone uses it?"

Kinaed states to Deedee, "Oh, that's a good idea. Making a note."

Jehu says, "Personally, I haven't seen invite used as much lately."

Kinaed asks of Ghed, "What's broken about it? Staff can manually step in until it's fixed though"

Ikeala questions, "Also an ability to possibly automatically have a board note sent to the new person?"

Kinaed queries to Ikeala, "What would the board note to the new person be for?"

Kinaed states, "Sorry, getting a little dragged back. I've made several notes based off this, thank you."

Ikeala says, "Tips on finding first RP etc that might be helpful."

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed nods at Ikeala.

Jasmine says, "I think if you want a welcome message, you could have staff put a sticky note that hits the whole guild, when you join you get access to it"

Ghed says to Kinaed, "Re: seedy shops, I tried it myself with Ike and yeah it's not working"

Kinaed nods at Jasmine.

Kinaed says to Ghed, "Okay, we need a bug board for programmers to work off."

Jasmine states, "RE: invite, I personally just don't like using it unless I've set up a scene"

Kinaed muses to Ghed, "Can you handle that real quick?"

Kinaed nods at Jasmine.

Ikeala claims, "Also fixing the requirement for the helpfile/RP hooks thingie with purchases might help folks find more ways to include the new folks."

Kinaed claims to Jasmine, "Fair enough"

Jasmine trails off, "It's easier for me to ICly invite someone via a messenger if I notice their online, it always feels sorta... ooc to just pop an invite unless you're time crunched"

Kinaed questions to Ikeala, "I'm sorry, are you referring to by giving incoming poeple a note that it would fix, or a different requirement that needs fixing?"

Kinaed nods at Jasmine.

Ikeala states, "Ah, incoming people."

Kinaed claims to Ikeala, "Thanks :)"

Kinaed says, "Okay, it looks like I have a few things to work on today."

Deedee states, "I do think adding hooks is still overly complicated"

Leta exclaims to Deedee, "We're fixing that!"

Kinaed states to Deedee, "We have a fix for that waiting for code review."

Deedee claims, "Ah, good."

Deedee states, "I was going to suggest removing that as a requirement for guilding until it's fixed, but if it's going in soon it's fine"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Leta states, "Soon it will just be 'hooks add/edit/delete"

Leta smiles.

Deedee says, "Perfect"

Kinaed questions, "The OOC Chat seems to be slowing a bit - we've covered the agenda. What would people like to talk about?"

Kinaed states, "We can end early if we've gotten everything out of it that we want to this week."

Deedee questions, "What's the event today?"

Lans states, "General board 10"

Violet claims, "Party at Whitemarsh :)"

Deedee says, "Ahh"

Violet claims, "We've got fancy prizes. And competition"

Kinaed claims, "Sounds like fun :)"

Kinaed queries, "On the whole, what things are contributing most to people having fun on TI?"

Lans claims, "People causing trouble and antagonizing"

Violet asks, "Speaking of the event, can I get a trans back to make sure things are all set up?"

Kinaed muses to Lans, "Has that been going well recently?"

Lans says, "And prioritising what is true (to a reasonable degree) for their characters rather than abstract notions of win"

Violet has been transferred out by Kinaed. [OOC]

Lans claims to Kinaed, "There's been an uptick of conflict"

Flower says, "Lots of trouble lately.. "

Jasmine says, "On the whole, I have the most fun when I'm having an engaging scene with someone whose putting effort into their character, I think"

Lans says, "Some moral threats unchecked"

Kinaed nods at Jasmine.

Lans nods at Jasmine.

Kinaed says to Jasmine, "Me too."

Flower says, "Compared to even the last 6 months."

Jasmine trails off, "I've had scenes where the other person just... isnt super interested and it feels like a massive waste of time sometimes"

Kinaed nods at Jasmine.

Kinaed asks, "That's a bit of a pity. Is there anything we can do to help those players be more engaged?"

Kinaed says, "It seems to me that it can't be fun for them either if they're doing that."

Flower says, "If I have been a bad rp partner the last 6 weeks I apologize. I've been exhausted but it has begun wearing off. "

Kinaed comforts Flower.

Jasmine says, "I think some people just don't flesh out their characters well enough beforehand and try to coast on having the other people in the scene steer the conversation/scene"

Kinaed claims, "I had been getting there too, which is why I took a break."

Flower nods at Kinaed.

Kinaed claims, "Mind, my break wasn't even largely about TI, but work, family, etc, all combined."

Kinaed states, "Well, it's good to know what we think makes TI fun - and I appreciate hearing about it. If anyone can think of ways we can support those aspects that make the game more engaging better, please bring it to OOC Chat for discussion. Maybe I should add something like 'player ideas' to the OOC Chat as a topic."

Kinaed ponders.

Ikeala states, "Hmm, going off what was said ... sometimes I ponder if chargen doesn't focus on a lot of the mechanics of making a character without a lot of direction on how to like mentally create them? If that makes sense."

Kinaed claims, "We often get them during Player Topics, but it might be cool to seek ideas more explicitly."

Kinaed nods at Ikeala.

Jasmine wonders, "I think that having these events and plots and such definitely help. I'd think maybe something that would help is having more... events that spur conversation and sort of... forcing people to have an opinion would help?"

Kinaed says, "I think it makes sense, albeit the process we go through to mentally make a character and 'slip into them' in an engaging way is a bit unique to the person and maybe even hit or miss when we think we know what we want."

Jasmine states, "Like the crimson troupe has been very divisive because some people just don't like death games (resonably) so if you are pro-death games its cause some interesting conversations"

Kinaed nods at Jasmine.

Kinaed claims, "Those are some good points."

Jasmine claims, "And lightly the tubori succession crisis too, though I've noticed some people are just very against openly disagreeing"

Kinaed states, "I do wonder how we can get players involved in making that kind of controversy themselves too - not antagonism in the sense of 'breaking the law', just even opinions to talk about, for example."

Anonymous states, "That's because eventually the plot will be over and the NPCs gone, but the player characters are still around and remember you not agreeing with them, and it's very, very easy to fall into having everyone dislike you for one cause or another."

Kinaed states, "Running events is awesome, but it's also a big undertaking that the work needs to be spread around a bit."

Kinaed exclaims, "Speaking of which, this reminds me to award the players running events!"

Lans states, "My previous alt was low-key pro slavery, lol"

Jehu states, "Lol"

Ikeala says, "I feel like 'everyone disliking you' tends to be a bit of hyperbole."

Anonymous says, "Players have long memories and do not let go of their grudges."

Jasmine says, "If someone is going to hunt you down and poison you because you disagreed with their opinion, I'd say that person is engaging in the game with very bad-faith"

Jasmine claims, "And that people not liking you can in fact be fun"

Kinaed nods at Jasmine.

Lans claims to Anonymous, "IDK what you mean"

Lans queries to Ikeala, "Wanna grab a drink after this?"

Anonymous claims, "Eh, it rarely gets to the ' I'm going to murder you' levels, but it does get to the 'I'm going to oppose absolutely everything you do forever and ever' levels."

Flower declaims, "Can I get a trans? Time for food!"

Anonymous says, "Something which I am guilty of myself."

Ikeala states, "Only if you are buying."

Jasmine claims, "I get a kick every time someone complains about my character, means im doing it right"

Lans claims to Ikeala, "Sure. party's at ahalin"

Flower has been transferred out by Kinaed. [OOC]

Earthworm claims, "I thought it was at Whitemarsh"

Jehu says, "Lol y'all funny"

Ghed claims to Earthworm, "Well spoken"

Temi grins.

Kinaed says, "I dunno, some people hold grudges, some people can't remember what they had for breakfast (I'm some people with breakfast issues myself)"

Temi states to Kinaed, "If you're trying to hold grudges against your breakfast, I think you're doing it wrong."

Jasmine says, "Sometimes it's hard to tell the tip of the iceberg VS opposing everything someone does because of a single small thing"

Kinaed says to Temi, "You clearly haven't had the antagonism from your breakfast that I have. *sniff*"

Jasmine states, "But if you don't like to see that, it might be worthwhile to oppose that sort of bad-faith single-minded obsessive actions in character when you see it"

Ikeala says, "At a certain point, unless people are willing to have opinions, potentially disagree, or do things that are dangerous, controversial, etc we become a medieval dating sim."

Kinaed states, "The things eggs can do."

Jasmine claims, "It is weird, after all, and it could be commentable IC if you see it happening"

Kinaed asks, "I mean, is a medieval dating sim that bad...? "

Jasmine says, "Some people might not realize that they are escalating so badly, and might course correct if its pointed out that they're being a bit obsessive IC"

Kinaed sinks into the deepest thought.

Temi grins.

Anonymous claims, "My opinion is that unless what someone did warrants ye olde eternal blood feude of violence, grudges are held pretty far."

Kinaed asks, "How do we point out obsessiveness without offending?"

Leta claims, "There's a cheat code, if you figure it out you get to court the Lord of the Springs"

Ghed questions, "Anonymously and in private?"

Jasmine looks to Kinaed and makes a worried expression. "You're talking a LOT about Dudebro. You just got married and had a kid. Did he really bother you so badly?"

Ghed states, "I like my characters to hold an opinion that is the opposite of my own IRL"

Ghed states, "That makes it SO MUCH EASIER to detach and not feel personally offended"

Kinaed claims to Jasmine, "I mean, yes if that's the form the agression takes."

Leta nods at Ghed.

Temi nods in agreement.

Leta says, "It helps to have alts with opposite perspectives."

Kinaed questions to Jasmine, "What about the dude who subverts someone for an incident that happened over a year ago with next to no RP in the middle?"

Temi claims, "It's fun to try to put yourself in a different mindset where you have different values than your real life self"

Jasmine trails off, "Well if someone's sabotaging someone's every move and it's actionable, just like... point it out like a normal peson with observational skills"

Deedee claims, "This brings something to mind, if I might have a word with you when you have time, Kinaed"

Kinaed claims, "Most players won't even see it to call it out, if that makes sense."

Jasmine states, "That falls more to policy, IMO, we have policy around that sort of thing"

Kinaed states to Deedee, "Sure :) I'm around after OOC Chat."

Kinaed asks, "Yeah, I had someone recently say that they wished policy were more active, and I thought "Hmm. Do you really, though?""

Jasmine states, "I think using the subvert command as intended isn't quite the same as 'oppose absolutely everything you do forever and ever' as we are discussing"

Kinaed claims, "What people usually mean then is "I wish policy were more active against other people" not realizing that it means more activity across the board, which means ... a bit of a Police State."

Kinaed claims to Jasmine, "It was an example counter to the 'talking' example is all :)"

Jehu stands up.

Jasmine states, "Covert actions are by nature harder to find and see, but I feel like if someone is engaging with grudges with bad faith, they're following it more with a 'i want to win' mindset rather than 'my character has a grudge', which always seems to come out with more and more overt actions"

Jehu says OOCly, "Grabbing a bite before the party"

Jehu begins to descend.

Jehu leaves down.

Kinaed claims, "It can be very hard to separate an IC and OOC grudge."

Jasmine claims, "Sometimes, I'm sure, but ic grudges don't all have a win condition"

Kinaed says, "From a policy perspective, if we can see it in Cnotes, for example, we assume there is an IC incentivizing incident. The thing is - is the response reasonable - and what feels reasonable to me may feel different to someone else - so it's subjective."

Kinaed states, "At that stage, it's hard to say if we're policing OOC crossover OR if we're having an opinion about character personalities."

Jasmine nods.

Kinaed questions, "So yeah - I'd like to be better about it, but it's also a 'how do we define this tipping point where policy needs to be involved or should be in such a way that it's clear to players, functional for its purpose, and not viewed as a subjective judgment about Staff liking or disliking personalities'?"

Kinaed finishes abruptly, "So from that perspective, if we can find that - and we do for some things, like what we believe constitutes as blackballing, for example - but it's much harder for others - like 'we think your grudge is a bit too OOC'"

Lans has been transferred out by Kinaed. [OOC]
Lans has been transferred in by Kinaed. [OOC]

Lans states, "Oh no"

Lans claims, "I am trapped here forever"

Kinaed finishes abruptly, "Anyway, it's a topic close to my heart, but I don't have solutions - more discussion at OOC Chat would be perfect"

Elise has been transferred out by Ghed. [OOC]

Temi queries, "Where should you be?"

Saviero claims, "It's your own personal Ahalin :D"

Kinaed declaims, "But OOC Chat is over!"

Lans says, "Erudite chamber"

Kinaed has transferred Lans. [OOC]

[OOC] Lans: "God damnit! hahahaa"

Kinaed claims, "Thank you everyone for attending this OOC Chat."

Deedee waves.

Ikeala bows.

Kinaed states, "Thank you for your time, everyone! I hope to see you next week, and appreciate your lending an ear to my thoughts."

Kinaed trails off, "Retransing in 3..."

Kinaed trails off, "2..."

Kinaed trails off, "1..."

• Information