Log of OOC Meeting - 2022-03-26

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Deedee

Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:16 pm

Temi muses, "So, our agenda as per usual:  1)  staff updates, 2) player heartbeats, 3) player topics.  Does anyone have any topics to put on the list?"

Ghed has transferred Jehu.  [OOC]

Temi gives a handful of tiny butterscotch crowns each with three peaks to Jehu.

Jehu bows and sits

Jehu states, "Oh. I was already sat"

Temi asks, "Just looking to see if anyone had topics.  But not hearing anything so far?"

Jehu says, "I could throw out an idea."

Temi questions, "Alright, I'll put you on the list.  Anyone else while we're at it?"

Temi claims, "Or you can let me know when you think of something and I'll add you in."

Lans shakes his head.

Deedee claims, "I've got a small thing"

Temi nods at Deedee.

Temi says, "Okay, staff updates."

Temi states, "We've been working on some procedures for how to handle things when Kin is too busy and we got through a few things on staff talking points today.  Salem put in an adjustment to improve the slope on language skills a bit, so they will be slower at lower ranks, and at the highest ranks you should be no more problems."

Temi says, "For myself, still work on the skill mini quests, but nothing new to show off this week.  However, I did add some new jeweling crafts - the lack of handflowers was brought to my attention."

Jasmine exclaims, "Oh, looking forward to that! Language has felt very OP even with very little skill in it so interested to see how the new way goes"

Lans nods.

Temi nods at Jasmine.

Leta claims to Jasmine, "That was the goal"

Ghed claims, "Handflowers are pretty"

Leta says, "Make it a little more valuable to invest learn slots in the skills"

Jasmine states, "Ah, glad that those are added now lmao"

Temi says, "Please let us know how it goes!  We're still keeping an eye for if it needs more tweaking."

Temi says, "But we didn't want to go completely crazy to start."

Deedee says, "Nice on both"

Kinaed steps out of your shadow. [OOC]

Temi pontificates, "Ah, here's Kin!"

Lans bows.

Deedee claims to Kinaed, "Welcome welcome"
Temi gives a handful of tiny butterscotch crowns each with three peaks to Kinaed.

Kinaed claims, "Not really awake, just rolled out of bed."

Deedee states, "Same."

Kinaed bows to Temi and will listenupdate. 

Temi asks, "Want to give your update that, Kin?"

Kinaed says, "Sure."

Kinaed states, "I rolled out roles as best I could - redid the new player zone, updated some help files to go around that. Had a policy case."

Kinaed says, "Am working in the background on improving our game resilience with crashes and the like in conjunction with our programming team."

Kinaed claims, "That's it for me :)"

Deedee states, "It has been a bit crashy lately"

Temi says, "Kin has been very busy this week, in truth."

Temi grins.

Kinaed has transferred trogdor.  [OOC]

Temi says, "Very exciting to see where roles are at."

Temi gives a handful of tiny butterscotch crowns each with three peaks to trogdor.

Trogdor eats a handful of tiny butterscotch crowns each with three peaks.

Trogdor eats a handful of tiny butterscotch crowns each with three peaks.

Ghed says, "Kin is Neo at that scene in Matrix 2 where he fights a trillion Agent Smiths"

Temi grins.

Temi asks, "Okay, Ghed?"

Ghed nods.

Ghed wonders, "This week I crashed the game three times! AREN'T YOU PROUD OF ME? I've been testing a complicated script for my new staff plot and it's great but it also nukes TI. So Salem has been granting her a lot of her time to graciously check it out. I'm very grateful to her for it!

Other than that? I puppeted some thingies for some peoples, did usual requests, some plots, recommends, and not much else I think?"

Leta claims to Deedee, "We've been making big changes for the first time in a while thanks to our coding team, and with that, we've had our share of glitches, but I promise there are a lot of cool things happening"

Ghed states, "We're working on, for example, the stealth rehaul that we know we all want! Now that roles are rolled out. Role, roll. Lol."

Temi nods in agreement.

Deedee muses, "How I imagine the TI devs working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ "

Temi grins.

Temi muses, "Okay, Leta's update?"

Leta exclaims, "Yeah! For you shadowy folks, better hide and sneak are in the pipeline =)"

Leta states, "I did the usual requests, questions and recommends. Help policy overview was edited by my fellow imms and is now implemented."

Leta says, "My focus of the week was the QP shop. I filled Temi's randomizer with new books both heretical and inert, so hopefully some of you will get a chance to buy a few in the coming weeks"

Leta claims, "I also changed out some of the special jewels and added a few new items like vellum tomes, Tubori purple silk, and illuminated manuscripts at player request."

Leta says, "I recently added a room to chargen that has several examples of descriptions and intros. It was a request from two cyans a few months ago I was finally able to implement. Hopefully this will help our brand new players as they write their own."

Temi declares, "Thanks Leta!"

Kinaed states, "That's great work, thank you :)"

Temi states, "Okay, that's all of staff besides Salem, who has been doing big stuff with roles and crash fixes and such."

Temi questions, "So, player heartbeat!  How has RP been this week for everyone?"

Kinaed queries, "May I ask if anyone has had anything about the roles system (that I haven't written up needs fixing) that we need to look at?"

Jehu states, "Great."

Kinaed declaims, "And Temi's Q - sorry, Temi! :)"

Temi grins.

Deedee claims, "Haven't had time to dive in yet"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Temi states, "That's sort of player heartbeaty too"

Temi nods at Kinaed.

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Jasmine says, "RP has been fun where I can get it, lotta people just available outside of my freetime i think"

Lans says, "A little slow on the Knight side, but I hear that might change before long"

Temi nods.

Violet states, "Been a busy week IRL, so I haven't been able to do as much as I would like"

Jasmine says, "A little disappointed that some new people seem to vanish if they don't immediately get instant attention right this second, though"

Deedee nods.

Temi asks, "Seems pretty quiet?"

Violet nods.

Temi states to Jasmine, "Unfortunate, but they don't owe us anything if we haven't gotten them hooked."

Jasmine states, "Had a seeker ping for RP in a different tavern than everyone else was in, hasn't logged in since, was a bit disgruntled that they couldn't engage with the game"

Ghed claims, "Aw. Sorry that happened."

Temi nods.

Temi states, "We can try to make extra accommodations for newbies, but can't just forget everything else."

Ghed nods.

Ikeala is idle.

Temi queries, "Well, is there anything else bothering anyone that staff ought to know about?"

Ikeala is no longer idle.
Ikeala has returned from AFK.

Ghed claims, "I'd like to bring up something very briefly"

Temi nods at Ghed.

Jehu stares wide eyed at Ghed

Ghed claims, "Please remember to be mindful and very neutral about using vNPCs in emotes and rpechoes. They are not meant to benefit you or attack someone else."

Ghed exclaims, "That's all! =)"

Deedee says, "I think that was recently added to a policy helpfile too"

Ghed claims, "We have"

Jasmine states, "It's okay to use your own NPC to benefit you, though, iirc, just not the general ambient npcs"

Deedee nods.

Ghed nods.

Temi nods in agreement with Jasmine.

Deedee questions, "If you see someone puppeting vNPCs in such a way, how do you proceed?"

Kinaed states, "Alert them of the help file as a starting point."

Ghed claims, "Ask them to mend their ways and REPENT, or poke staff. And post the log."

Deedee nods.

Leta claims, "I would recommend a gentle reminder to them if you feel up for it, and if not, reaching out to us."

Kinaed nods at Leta.

Kinaed says, "And a log is good."

Ghed says, "Some people do it with totally innocent intent, just for the fun of it, so most of the time a gentle reminder is enough"

Kinaed claims, "If you poke us, please send a log"

Ghed nods.

Temi nods.

Temi queries, "So that's how to handle that.  Anything else on people's minds in general?"

Jasmine says, "I'd also maybe remind everyone to consider having their scenes in public more. Private scenes have their time and place of course, but there are a lot of tucked away spots on grid are suitable to many 'private' conversations, especially if you use a join spot"

Temi claims, "Or we can move onto topics."

Kinaed nods at Jasmine.

Jasmine states, "Sometimes it feels like I am the only person out in public rooms sometimes and it really makes me want to log out when everyone else is hiding in corners"

Ghed nods at Jasmine.

Ghed exclaims, "Agreed!"

Temi says, "Always a good thing whenever people can.  We appreciate people hanging around when you don't have anything immediaetly up, because that's how others can get up to things."

Jehu says, "I think sometimes ppl log in and are making themself available but don't won't to 'bother' anyone. lol"
Temi grins.

Lans claims, "That happens"

Lans says, "It's why I went to the Queen's last sunday and sent invite to everyone online, at the same time, heh"

Jasmine claims, "Yeah but that's also a very passive way that forces anyone who wants to RP with you to reach out and invite you out"

Jasmine claims, "If you sit in public people can just come to you and skip that step"

Violet says, "I apologize if I've been contributing to this, bc I've been logging on but being so busy/distracted with IRL that I feel guilty half-idling in public scenes"

Deedee nods.

Ghed nods.

Temi claims, "Okay, that's a good reminder, in any case.  Let's move onto topics.  We can make it a topic if people have specific ideas, later."

Temi asks, "So, Jehu?"

Jehu states, "What if completely new players at chargen had to do the quick start, and were auto freeman? My thinking is they'd get to experience the game quicker, to enjoy it, and not be overwhelmed with new commands. Most ppl will be veteran muddders though so I guess it doesn't mattter too much."

Violet says, "I still wish there was a 'slow' flag, some way to signal that you're around and might be for a while, but you're involved in things that might make any scenes drag or require patience"

Violet states, "Oh sorry Jehu"

Kinaed claims, "Right now, they're auto set to freemen and have to purchase it to be something different."

Jehu states, "No prob. I put it in my title when I'm busy"

Temi says, "There's different types of new players.  We do have the freeman with a lot of things already set option."

Jasmine says, "I feel like new player would actually not benefit from jumping into the game super fast without reading helpfiles"

Jehu states, "Oh yeah. That is true."

Jasmine states, "And a lot of bad newbie experiences could be mitigated by having players read the things chargen tells them to before hopping in"

Temi says, "But I think making that more enforced would hurt those who like to start with a more specific idea and more research."

Leta states, "We do have the quick generation for those who opt-in."

Trogdor is idle.

Temi muses, "Is there anyone who's done the quick chargen recently who thought there was additional things it could help with?"

Lans states, "I'm a newbie"

Jehu states, "I haven't tried that one yet."

Jehu says, "Lol Lans."

Temi says, "I've thought it was quite simplified, really.  Beyond what I'd want."

Temi grins.

Deedee claims, "I've not tried or been through chargen in forever. I'm curious about the changes though"

Temi states, "It may handle your concerns then."

Temi nods at Jehu.

Kinaed has lost link.
Kinaed has reconnected.

Kinaed muses, "Did anyone see my last say?"

Kinaed was lagging bad.

Deedee states, "Maybe not"

Ghed has lost link.
Ghed has reconnected.

Kinaed states, "Realistically, I don't think new players want to read a lot on the whole."

Jasmine states, "Nnnno, but also the game sort of depends on them reading a little and having a working understanding of theme, or else being willing to accept guidance from existing characters"

Deedee states, "Well they came to the wrong sort of game if they don't like to read. ;)"

Temi claims, "We were just wondering if the quick chargen now might handle Jehu's suggestions."

Violet queries, "But in a text-based game, doesn't that seem kinda... bad? Like it seems the folks who don't enjoy reading theme helpfiles don't stick around long"

Jasmine states, "Otherwise we get big titty anime witches with purple hair jumping RIGHT into the pyre"

Kinaed claims, "A lot of our retention issues are that we're competing for short attention spans and need to commit new players before they've experienced engagement."

Jehu claims, "Rofl"

Kinaed claims, "I did a paid trial of TI for feedback, and the feedback was "I spend so much time in set up and help files, that I don't even know what the game is like""

Kinaed claims, "To a degree a lot of MUDs can get away with this with existing mud players because there's a bit of a 'shorthand' between games."

trogdor is no longer idle.
Trogdor has returned from AFK.

Jasmine says, "Like, super honestly, if new players don't read at least the basics pointed to in chargen, their player experience is going to be bad, because they won't know the basic norms and ICly they'll get a lot of people treating them poorly because they're breaking some social norm or something"

Kinaed says, "Or we can treat cyans like new players who probably don't know things rather than treat people like they ought to."

Kinaed states, "Which is what the whole cyan protection period is about."

Deedee nods at Kinaed.

Kinaed says, "We just assume that cyans are older players if they look even moderately competent, but they're not."

Jasmine claims, "Yes, and the game does, but if they are not open to guidance from existing players, they'll still have problems"

Kinaed claims, "Then we've done what we can."

Temi nods.

Kinaed says, "And may need to recognize that TI as a game isn't for everyone."

Jasmine states, "Yeah that was my point, the type of people who speedrun chargen and don't read probably aren't the types who will stay"

Kinaed says, "I think even I would speedrun chargen in most games, so I don't think I'd go that far."

Jasmine says, "I spent 5 days in chargen on my very first character and kept him for like, 2 years, because I was informed and able to just hop right into roleplay, and people were able to engage me"

Kinaed says, "Obviously we retain some people and have over time."

Jehu says, "Wow."

Kinaed claims, "But I don't think we can expect TI to grow if that's our strategy given the ratio of people who come and who stick."

Ghed pontificates, "And it was a great character!!"

Ikeala ponders.

Ikeala trails off, "So ..."

Kinaed states, "That reminds me though - I didn't get a response from the website I wanted to advertise on, so I need to follow that up."

Jasmine states, "Given the strict theme I don't think there's a way to EZ mode chargen unless you baby down a lot of theme stuff"

Temi states, "I do think we have a place for both more involved and less involved characters.  Obviously, everyone will need to get to some depth and appreciation for reading, but some people will want to get more of a taste before investing that."

Jasmine says, "Maybe a list of 'common things that will get you killed'"

Jasmine states, "Give some examples of behavior that might seem 'magey' and some obvious 'heretical' behavior to avoid or implement if that's what they're going for"

Temi states, "I think we'd be open to submissions for consideration for helpfiles, or things like that on the newbie section of the forums too."

Kinaed finishes abruptly, "The key things that will get you killed are in chargen - stuff like having silver hair, purple eyes, and HELP OVERVIEW"

Ikeala claims, "So I think one thing is that RPIs (of which I'd argue we are one) their equivalent experience isn't say ... Aardwolf. Or another super quick chargen for a mostly questing/hack-and-slash games where a quest NPC is going to immediately greet you out of chargen. We are more like writing up a D&D sheet."

Deedee claims, "Also protesting pyres is a thing I see a lot of new characters do"

Jasmine claims, "Yeah but the more subtle stuff like people who bring their ooc anti-religious attitude into the game and are very outspoken against the order, that can pile up quickly"

Jasmine says, "It's very acceptable in modern times to just not be religious"

Deedee nods.

Jasmine claims, "That's quite unacceptable in game and lots of people just ignore it"

Kinaed claims, "That's a good point, and something we should highlight. I'll add it to our Theme"

Jasmine states, "I also agree that TI is agreed upon as an 'RPI' and can't compare to just 'roleplay encouraged' games"

Ghed nods.

Temi asks, "Sounds like Kin is looking at those details.  Shall we move onto the next topic?"

Ikeala nods.

Temi asks, "Okay, Deedee?"

Deedee queries, "With the moving of herbalism and medicine into its own category (Thanks for doing that!), I noticed that rolling on categories doesn't seem to be adding up correctly. For example, I have grandmastered medicine and herbalism, so they roll against 75, but rolling remedies only rolls against 68. Is that intended, or a bug?"

Leta handily succeeds her medicine check!

Leta states, "Oh, I had noticed this a few moments ago. I think it may be a bug, but I will look into it for you."

Deedee claims, "Thanks"

Temi questions, "Okay.  That was all the topics I had registered.  Did anyone else have anything?"

Ikeala says, "I have a quick something."

Temi nods at Ikeala.

Ikeala muses, "I know that there's currently the discussion on the forums about PK et al. However, as/before that's settled does anyone have any thoughts about how to best/better have scenes between opposing parties?"

Deedee asks, "(https://ti-legacy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&p=16912)"

Ghed queries, "Perhaps cnoted agreement? Or a command that mutually cnotes an agreement? Similar to how secret share works"

Temi states, "If anyone does have suggestions where they've been successful, I'm sure it would be much appreciated"

Jasmine questions, "Like to roleplay it? I've always suggested oocly confirming that your roleplay is based totally IC and isn't meant oocly towards the player, to try to remind the other person that it's not personal"

Jasmine claims, "The big issue I've run into is people take things mad personally"

Jasmine states, "Otherwise maybe just remembering that even if someone hits you, you still have several chances to flee before they can kill you, so worst case you just have to run if you're not willing to face the music"

Ikeala states, "For example ... during times when the game is being slow when I see a bunch of people together, on one hand I'd love to stir up some drama. However, I also feel like I have to go 'is this a scene I want to blow up is this is the big RP scene for the next few days'"

Ghed states to Ikeala, "Go on"

Ikeala says, "Within theme, the natural and expected reaction to spoopiness is to run away from it. If people don't run away from it, they are questioned or imagined to be a sympathizer etc etc. As there's no IC way to say "I wanted to give someone RP'. Invite scenes protect people -during the scene- but not from the consequences of having it."

Lans is idle.

Jasmine muses, "There are IC reasons to sit and chat, but I imagine that if someone reports it right away like a good lil davite that mitigates some consequences?"

Violet starts editing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Deedee nods.

Violet finishes her note.

Temi nods.

Deedee states, "Some expected IC behaviour doesn't mesh well with OOC enjoyment"

Jasmine states, "That's worked well for me, but I also have made a point to make my character very pious, so its more believable"

Violet states, "If I'm honest, I sometimes get a bit struggly with sitting and chatting."

Jasmine muses, "I guess put in more orderite groundwork to make it believable?"

Violet says, "Not that I feel I can't do it while staying thematic"

Lans is no longer idle.
Lans has returned from AFK.

Temi says, "Reporting is a good way to to handle it.  Though it does require some understanding from the Order"

Jasmine claims, "I feel like if the community put more effort in to convince the Order that they are actually pious as a default instead of as the exception, things can be explained away easier"

Ghed has lost link.
Ghed has reconnected.

Violet states, "It just feels like repetitive semi-insults/moral highground arguments slung back and forth between mages in shadow/flame form and Davites.. and I hear the same ones a lot. I've tried some invite scenes in the hopes it will devolve to more, but haven't gotten much there. I wonder if there are some ways not just to have more scenes together, but also to make them more diverse"

Violet says, "Even if characters aren't both anti-Order"

Trogdor is idle.

trogdor is no longer idle.
Trogdor has returned from AFK.

Jehu is idle.

Temi wonders, "Alright, well, I think we're about out of time.  Maybe this would be a good topic to discuss on the forums?"

Ghed nods.

Jasmine states, "Definitely food for thought, not sure how to work it in easily"

Ikeala nods.

Violet starts writing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Temi questions, "Alright, shall we go ahead and wrap up?"

Deedee says, "Nothing else from me"

Violet finishes her note.

Violet says, "Little event after this for people who want to stop by."

Temi pontificates, "Alright, back to RP then!  Sounds like there's fun to be had!"

• Information