Log of OOC Meeting - 2022-02-12

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Deedee

Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:29 pm

Kinaed says, "Today's Agenda is:

- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today? If you register a topic, please pre-write it so you're ready to present it when called upon."

Temi gives a soft, toy tower with a maiden peeking from the top window to Sparkles.

Kinaed states, "If there's no topics, let's move on to Staff Updates"

Kinaed claims, "I have some preliminary TI advertisement banners I'd like to show the pbase to get thoughts and opinions about."

Kinaed says, "I'll put those in the Discord later for your viewing pleasure and commentart."

Kinaed claims, "Commentary"

Kinaed claims, "I've also been working on my development environment and pipeline so that I can start adjusting TI's code with Salem's help. You may have all seen that we have a new staff member, Masnuva as well. Masnuva is a temporary staff member come to help us program."

Kinaed says, "We also have a few helping hands lending us their expertise which we're pretty grateful for."

Kinaed says, "That's everything from me - my main thing is getting TI set up codewise in a way that my workflow isn't a drag. :)"

Kinaed muses to Ghed, "Care to give us your update?"

Ghed nods.

Ghed claims, "This week I swung back to action with an audit of all abandoned phomes. There are a few that escaped our radar and had items and mobs in them. I've been cleaning them up, putting them up for sale, or just deleting them altogether. A slow work.

In addition, I upgraded the Cathedral ambiance. It now scales with and reflects the levels of Piety. There are three versions with 15 random echoes each. As usual, the minimum wait between echoes is 5 minutes, but it can be more.

Furthermore, I plan to add ambiance to Southside next.

Finally, I did my usual sleuth of MANY recommends, a few phomes, and other requests."

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed exclaims, "Thank you!"

Ghed bows.

Kinaed questions to Leta, "Ready to give us your update?"

Leta nods.

Leta says, "I handled some of the usual requests, phome builds and recommends alongside Temi and Ghed. I did round two of the auction house sort for Ghed, getting rid of a lot of un-fun pre-xterm items that haven't sold (think the 10 identical steel daggers)."

Kinaed smiles.

Leta says, "After our discussion last OOC chat I added a few items: bulk dough, bulk fruit juice, and vegetable juice. As well, I added few ingredients to existing recipes: rice wine for the vinegar recipes and maple syrup to sweet appetizer subtleties. Also made a few more craftables salvageable. "

Ghed claims, "They were still utterly deadly, those daggers"

Ghed pontificates, "Nice work Leta!"

Deedee states, "Nod ghed"

Kinaed declares, "Sweet, thank you!"

Leta claims, "I also impregnated an undisclosed number of individuals once we realized that that system is still bugged."

Leta coughs.

Kinaed claims, "Oo, baby."

Anonymous says, "That one's going in the quit quotes."

Kinaed queries to Salem, "Ready to give your update?"

Deedee states, "Reminds me of that player of ours who discovered he has a thousand siblings from a shady fertility doctor"

Salem says, "I was working on some of the bugs. Like role code and stuff."

Kinaed wonders to Salem, "Is it safe for GLs to use the role command now?"

Kinaed pontificates, "Also, thank you!"

Salem states, "No idea. But it should not crash anymore."

Kinaed grins.

Ghed pontificates, "(I also impregnated!)"

Kinaed states, "Okay, good to know :)"

Deedee states, "Can't check now since I'm logging, but roles hardly worked at all for me"

Kinaed states to Ghed, "Congratulations :)"

Kinaed states to Deedee, "Please bug report the problems with a log so we can find the places in the code that need fixing."

Deedee states, "Already done"

Kinaed claims, "But we should be one step closer to fixed."

Kinaed pontificates, "Nice, thank you!"

Kinaed declares to Temi, "You're up! :)"

INFO> Kinaed is EDITING the note roles command not working, by Delana, on the Bugs board.
Kinaed starts editing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Temi says, "My biggest focus has been on wrapping up the Tubori Succession Plot. Sorry for the delays on that, and thanks to Ghed and Leta for their parts playing some of the NPCs. It's a great help, and adds some more flavor to have it not be just me. Beyond that, my other big task has been getting all of the noble domain statuses in for new applications - you should see those as a new line at the bottom of any help domain <domain> helpfile. We've also added a new requirement to noble applications to give detail on established family members - at least enough to tell if you have a next of kin and anything you want to be carried on after your character's time on grid."

Kinaed finishes her note.
INFO> Kinaed has edited the note roles command not working (Edited by Kinaed) on the Bugs board.

Kinaed has transferred GeeBee. [OOC]

INFO> Kinaed is EDITING the note Guilding bug, by Ghed, on the Announce board.
Kinaed starts editing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Temi states, "Hopefully this should give us more consistency on our noble houses going forwards. Hopefully I haven't missed anything people care about, though I know we've already got some now-canon inconsistencies, that we're trying to move past without unwriting the more recent one"

Temi gives a soft, toy tower with a maiden peeking from the top window to GeeBee.

Temi nods at Kinaed.

INFO> Kinaed has edited the note Guilding bug (Edited by Kinaed) on the Announce board.

Kinaed has transferred Alenta. [OOC]

Kinaed has transferred HappyQuartz. [OOC]

Temi gives a soft, toy tower with a maiden peeking from the top window to Alenta.

Temi gives a soft, toy tower with a maiden peeking from the top window to HappyQuartz.

Kinaed states to Temi, "Thank you :)"

Kinaed asks, "I believe that's all for Staff Updates :) Any questions before we move on?"

HappyQuartz stops using a heavy clay mug colored with a plethora of rich earthtones.
HappyQuartz holds a soft, toy tower with a maiden peeking from the top window in his hand.

Kinaed asks, "Okay, next up - Player Heartbeat! How was the game for you this last week, folks?"

Sparkles states, "Some ups and downs this week."

Deedee claims, "Had a few good scenes, as usual swamped IRL so little time"

Deedee states, "Apologizes for anyone needing some Deedee time"

Kinaed nods.

HappyQuartz exclaims, "Been busy with school stuff, so it was minimal for me. but it was nice to see rec's going through as well! "

GeeBee declares, "Haven't been on too much since the past weekend due to busyness, but the weekend was great, being able to participate in an ST!"

Anonymous claims, "I had some good things."

Cat claims, "I am forbidden to be involved in any sort of plot, so I feel bad about playing."

Kinaed asks, "Forbidden by policy or something else...?"

Cat states, "IC threat of death."

Kinaed comforts Cat.

Elise states, "It's been a good week :) Lots of character development :D"

Kinaed asks, "It sounds like it might be something staff would typically stay out of, alas. Perhaps engage in other RP?"

MUDnoob says, "Good week for me. Some tough IC choices."

Kinaed nods at MUDnoob.

Kinaed says to Elise, "That's good to hear."

Kinaed queries, "It's sounding like a mixed bag for people. Anything Staff should be doing to help?"

Kinaed has transferred Murrcognito. [OOC]

Temi gives a soft, toy tower with a maiden peeking from the top window to Murrcognito.

HappyQuartz declaims, "Oh! and i have been playing with City Lore in my off time and i am enjoying it all throughly! "

Kinaed states, "With the silence, I'll take it that we don't have anything else to discuss regarding Player Heartbeat. :)"

Kinaed declares to HappyQuartz, "Oh, nice!"

Deedee states, "Oh"

Deedee states, "I had a question"

Kinaed states, "We've had an uptick in players submitting Lore btw"

Kinaed states, "Really enjoyable"

Alenta says, "Oh I had fun as last week, a bit less rp but some of that is probably when I've been online this week compared to others."

Deedee wonders, "Are we oly supposed to get IP once every two weeks? Usually for a week at a time I have 0 IP"

Kinaed nods at Alenta.

Alenta says, "I get points almost every day for being in an advertised location. Not sure if others do that /deedee"

Kinaed claims, "I seem to recall it adds weekly and drains fortnightly or something like that."

Kinaed claims, "Could be bugged."

Leta states, "It cycles every two weeks, at the same turnover as with city metrics."

Deedee states, "I'm still wondering if I'm bugged somehow for IP. I rarely get as much as I think I should given role and class and such"

Temi nods at Leta.

Kinaed states to Deedee, "We can check the underlying calcs for you."

Deedee states, "Thanks"

Deedee states, "Like right now, I have 0 IP"

Kinaed states, "Will take that offline with you, Deedee."

Deedee nods at Kinaed.

Deedee says, "Besides the ammount though"

Kinaed queries, "?"

Deedee states, "One week I get some IP, next week it all poofs, and don't get any more for another week"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Deedee states, "Not sure if that's working as intended, doesn't seem like it should be that way"

Kinaed says, "Please write a bug board post so we don't forget to get to it, but I can see a snapshot of the support landscape."

Kinaed claims, "Okay, we don't have any registered topics today."

HappyQuartz states, "I have a brief one. "

Kinaed queries to HappyQuartz, "Please! :) What would you like to discuss?"

HappyQuartz queries, "Is help timeline up to date? "

Temi has transferred Trajen. [OOC]

Temi gives a soft, toy tower with a maiden peeking from the top window to Trajen.

Kinaed claims to HappyQuartz, "I think we updated it about six months ago, give or take, so probably not."

Trajen says, "Thank you."

Trajen sits down.

HappyQuartz states, "Okay! i was just curious, i have missed a lot. "

Kinaed trails off, "It's been we years since HELP TIMELINE's last entry... *peeks at history, detailed timeline*"

Ghed states, "It's now 1.timeline and 2.timelinme"

Deedee claims, "Yeah, lots happened since"

Kinaed claims, "That one is a bit more robust. Hmm, may need to combine or adjust that."

Kinaed states, "Maybe even put it up on the website rather than even trying to do it with help files."

Leta claims, "Help 2timeline goes to 389"

Ghed nods.

Deedee claims, "It's 392 now"

HappyQuartz says, "I also noted that there was mention of one of my characters on it, which gave me all the giddies "

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Kinaed smiles.
Ghed says to Deedee, "Not a lot has happened last year"

Trajen claims, "'it's the 990's yo'"

Kinaed exclaims, "That's cool!"

Trajen muses, "Wow how'd I typo that?"

Kinaed claims, "I wish we could get that help file to website code working. "

Ghed says, "It's not a helpfile that gets updated a lot, maybe we can do it manual"

Kinaed nods at Ghed.

Kinaed states, "It's just a matter of pouring through the Forum Thread for IC events"

Kinaed states, "I'll talk to Ladan about seeing about getting a timeline on the website."

Temi claims, "And lots of judgment to determine if something is important longterm or more interesting in the 5 year timeframe"

Temi grins.

Deedee states, "Will have have to note if you updated it one place, to update it the other"

Deedee claims, "Or things might get out of sync"

Temi nods at Deedee.

Kinaed states, "Thanks for raising it. :)"

HappyQuartz says, ":)"

Leta says, "At least help 2timeline gets us to 389. It does need to be updated to include the famine, Theodora's seneschal term, the summoner plot, etc."

Leta questions, "Perhaps if people want to write a typo board with suggestions for what should be included from the last few IC years, we could look over them?"

HappyQuartz muses, "Can we typo for lore that mentions a character, but may not state the name? "

Ghed states, "I'd say it depends on the circumstance"

Ghed states, "Say, if it involves revealing a concealed identity or not"

Sparkles claims, "I'm happy to work on some more timeline updates."

Kinaed claims, "It may be worth going through the HELP TIMELINE info and making sure we have the lore for that stuff in game too *ponder* Big job, but probably really nice for the game and player feel."

Kinaed says to Sparkles, "We'd deeply appreciate that."

Leta claims to Sparkles, "That would be great."

Ghed nods at Sparkles.

Kinaed queries, "What else would anyone like to discuss?"

Cat is idle.

Temi states, "If no one has anything, we could go more onto our guildleader dilemma from last week"

Ghed nods at Temi.

Trogdor wonders, "Ooh i missed that, could i get a recap of what that was?"

Anonymous claims, "Lack of 2nd GLs."

Elise says, "I also missed the guild leader dilemma from last week."

Deedee claims, "Been rather hard to fill those roles"

Cat is no longer idle.
Cat has returned from AFK.

Kinaed has transferred Wimpled. [OOC]

Deedee claims, "And often pestered about it. Especially since the applications post went poof"

Temi states, "Here's from last week: Kinaed states, "We have 7 minutes, I don't know if it's enough to discuss the Staff Conundrum. The Staff Conundrum has to do with how we're enforcing that GLs follow HELP GUILDLEADER POLICY." Kinaed claims, "We're really grateful for our GL players, and we know the more we get pushy, the more we turn off our GLs. Who are our players and very valuable." Kinaed claims, "But on the other hand, we feel like there are some GLs that are just not doing the role... but we also don't have enough people that enforcement means we'll have a replacement in line." Kinaed states, "And Staff are typically very hands off in RP, so it feels really weird to step in as a player advocate and be like 'We think you're not <insert whatever thing is in HELP POLICY GUILDLEADERS that's hgihly concerning us>""

Temi gives a soft, toy tower with a maiden peeking from the top window to Wimpled.

Alenta claims, "I'm not even sure if my character made it into the guild she tried out for lol."

Murrcognito is idle.

Kinaed wonders to Temi, "Oh, did we repost the Application post?"

Deedee states to Alenta, "It should show on 'score' if you're in a guild"

Temi says to Kinaed, "That seems to be a no"

Kinaed states, "I'll post a note to GLs to see what apps we need to open then."

Elise muses, "I have a question pertaining to what Temi said about GLs. If I may ask it?"

Kinaed starts writing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Elise declaims, "Nevermind someone else answered my question! :)"

Temi grins.

Alenta claims, "It looks like theodora denied then so nope not in a guild yet. Hard to be second when you're not in one :)"

INFO> Kinaed has written a new note, Applications, on the Personal board.

Ghed states, "No specifics please"

Deedee nods at Ghed.

Ghed states, "We're talking about general GL policy"

INFO> Leta is EDITING the note Applications, by Kinaed, on the Personal board.
Leta starts editing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Trogdor queries, "Is the problem statement that GL's are finding it difficult to find 2GL's or that GL's aren't following the policy per guildleaders?"

Kinaed says to Alenta, "Yeah, we don't generally talk about IC topics in the OOC Chat. We avoid discussing specific lines of RP, especially fresh current events. We can discuss old RP, like over 3 months old as a rule of thumb."

Temi states to trogdor, "All of the above"

Leta finishes her note.
INFO> Leta has edited the note Applications (Edited by Leta) on the Personal board.

Kinaed says, "Both."

Ghed nods at Temi.

Ghed claims, "Pretty much what Kinaed said"

Sparkles states, "It can be hard to find folks when folks aren't active or there are crossover concerns."

Temi claims, "It's a challenge, because we have those two factors, and others, that work at counter-purposes"

Kinaed claims, "We don't have enough people that it seems valid to force out "bad" Gls (whatever that means, but it often means someone semi-active), but we feel like if we don't increase the quality of GLing, we struggle to retain players as they struggle to get into guilds, etc."

Ghed says, "Sometimes having a very bad GL is more detrimental to the game experience than keeping one"

Kinaed nods at Ghed.

Elise nods at Ghed.

Kinaed claims, "But it's also a pretty subjective bar."

Izari claims, "Sometimes it doesn't hurt to clean house, might make those on the fence more open to apps"

Deedee nods.

Izari claims, "But that's obviously easier said than done"

Trogdor states, "Could also provide incentives for those applying directly into 2GL slots"

Ghed states, "Being a GL should be its own reward, it's tremendous power and prestige"

Ghed states, "And access to many plot lines"

Trogdor wonders, "True -- i find it so and agree -- but if that were the case why are people reluctant to take on 2gl slots?"

Elise claims, "I think a lot of it has to do with crossover personally."

Anonymous claims, "Being a GL is a big responsibility. Even 2nd GL."
Ghed nods.

Anonymous claims, "And you can't take 2nd GL if you already have a GL character."

Trogdor claims, "So crossover or responsibility -- i think unless we determine the actual why we won't be able to formulate a reasonable solution"

Trajen states, "Oh, glad you said that."

Sparkles says, "So ... I have one thought."

Sparkles says, "While I know that being a GL can be it's own reward, one reality is that ... people right or wrong tend to have a particular lens that coded ability = respect worthy."

Ghed states, "It should add a basic standard of respectability, even if you don't live up to it"

Ghed claims, "It's not the same being Justiciar than not being Justiciar"

Sparkles claims, "So apping in as a GL as a new(er) player when you don't have the XP to flesh out a char who should ... be in that role can be hard."

Ghed nods.

Ghed states, "It's not ideal when someone who is still learning commands, theme, and lore jumsps to GLhood"

Sparkles says, "Well also ... if you are supposed to be able to train people and your skill level is lower than theirs."

HappyQuartz states, "Thats how i learned in my first GL spot yearsssss ago lol"

Ghed questions to HappyQuartz, "Lol really? That's cool"

Deedee says, "There's been some exceptions"

Trogdor states, "I'm a dunderhead and i managed to do it hehe"

Trogdor says, "Sort of, anyway"

Violet claims, "My first character ended up Cardinal"

Violet pontificates, "She was murdered and but it was great!"

Anonymous states, "My first character ended up Grand Magnate inside a month"

Anonymous claims, "Lol"

Cat states, "Being a GL comes with a lot of responsibility and mostly no benefits, so some people don't want that target on their characters back."

Anonymous states, "And totally flubbed it"

Ghed says, "My first character almost ended up king"

Kinaed states, "I don't agree there are no benefits. Even walking around with swagger is a benefit. Having control and influence over who can do what in your guild is a benefit. The ability to fire people, arrest people, affect policy, get access to priority RP, etc - all major benefits."

Ghed states, "Access to gpoints"

Izari claims, "Also as Ghed mentioned, lots of plot access"

Trogdor says, "Imho, i think it comes with a lot of benefits. izari gives free back massages to all GL"

Elise pontificates, "I think being a GL is what you make of it! :)"

Kinaed finishes abruptly, "Blacklisting, redlisting, exiling - all various benefits"

Violet says, "I don't think no benefits is true. Access to money, gpoints, council... but it is really hard."

Temi claims, "But the expectation of how to get those benefits, or how strong they are, may not match up for everyone"

Izari says, "I think the benefits of being a GL comes down to how you play being a GL. It can be a miserable experience or one that's rewarding your for/others development."
Kinaed nods at Temi.

Kinaed states, "Some of it has to do with gravitas."

Temi nods at Kinaed.

Trogdor claims, "I personally think it's fun to come up with creative ways to antagonize people in ways they don't expect"

Deedee queries, "Benefits? yes, appreication? often little"

Deedee states, "Probabably a lot like being a staffer"

Temi grins at Deedee.

MUDnoob appreciates the heck out of Deedee.

Deedee states, "D'aww"

Sparkles states, "I think there are benefits but I think it can be very intimidating. Just kind of pondering if there are ways to make "breaking in" easier."

Murrcognito is no longer idle.

Trogdor wonders, "Anywayyyyy, i don't think we can have a solution until we determine the 'why don't you want to be a 2gl/gl?' gets answered. perhaps a pole? and bear in mind, it's probably different for each guild. i can imagine the answer to 'why don't you want to an order GL?" would be "cause i'm a filthy, dirty, magic user""

Trogdor states, "*poll"

Kinaed finishes abruptly, "For clarity, I don't think most people don't want to - about 50 percent of the pbase have a GL"

Temi says, "It's probably different for each person, but there's some themes, I'm sure"

Elise declares, "Also you have to take into consideration that some people are waiting in line to be GLs and just need RP to be concluded! :)"

Kinaed finishes abruptly, "Often people are blocked because to keep power dispersed and stories diverse, we prevent players from having multiple "power" characters - that is, only one character on an account is allowed to be a GL/noble (or Noble GL)"

MUDnoob says, "Some of it is IC reasons, and that is okay."

GeeBee is idle.

Murrcognito states, "Having missed some of the discussion due to idling (oops), and thus being perhaps a bit out of touch with present conversation: One aspect of the issue is that the GL to Pbase ratio is one that would require most active folks to be a GL in order to have them all be full."

Kinaed states, "So I think at its core the issue is that we just don't have enough people to flesh otu the game, but because of that we've got some jitters in how well the roles are filled, which causes the game itself to be less intense."

GeeBee is no longer idle.
GeeBee has returned from AFK.

Kinaed nods at Murrcognito.

Kinaed nods at MUDnoob.

Sparkles nods.

Kinaed states, "Okay, we're at the top of the hour :)"

Kinaed claims, "Thank you for everyone's time. I did get a bit distracted there, so I'll go review the log to see what we missed."

Sparkles waves.

Deedee states, "I'll have to clean up the log a bit, will post it as soon as I can"

Trajen questions, "Any way I can read about the murdered cardinal?"

Kinaed claims, "I look forward to seeing everyone next week to discuss the game more. In the meantime, please have a look at our Discord and let us know what you think of the advertisements for TI."

Deedee queries, "Which one? ;)"

Wimpled says, "There were lots of murdered cardinals."

Temi states, "We have old IC Events posted on the Forums"

Temi says, "Anything like that should be on there"

Trajen claims, "Lol Ok."

Deedee doesn't do discord, but also doesn't do ads.

Kinaed trails off, "Thanks for coming everyone! Retrans in 3..."

Kinaed claims, "2.."

Kinaed trails off, "1..."

• Information