Log of OOC Meeting: 2022-02-06

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

MUDnoob

Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:09 pm

Kinaed says, "A reminder of the OOC Chat Pact: Regardless of what we discuss, we understand and truly believe that everyone on TI does the best they can, given what they know at the time, their skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand. We will be respectful of this and each other at all times."

Izari states, "Share some QP for me calling it"

MUDnoob sticks her tongue out at Izari p

Sparkles waves.

Kinaed claims, "Today's Agenda is:

- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today? If you register a topic, please pre-write it so you're ready to present it when called upon."

Alenta asks, "Yes. and whats the heartbeat section?"

MUDnoob claims, "Shockingly, no. I don't have anything this week."

Kinaed states, "Finding out how the game was for people in the last week."

Izari states, "Lots of public scenes, good event, story ongoing. Looked pretty fun and active from over here."

Kinaed claims, "Okay, if anyone thinks of a topic, please send me a tell. Otherwise, let's kick off the OOC Chat."

Kinaed says, "I'll go last this time."

Kinaed claims, "And let's start with Temi."

Kinaed queries to Temi, "Care to give your weekly update?"

Temi states, "Not too much from me. I've been working on stirring up stuff for the plot, and need to set the final date for it with Ghed and Leta."

Kinaed smiles.

Temi says, "It's still on our spreadsheet, but we will put that info in the help domain files going forwards"

Temi nods at Kinaed.

Kinaed says, "That's a big job. Thanks for tackling it."

Deedee nods in agreement with Kinaed.

Flower reminds herself to do plot related things.

Kinaed questions to Salem, "Do you have an update for us this week?"

Salem claims, "Not really. I have been sick and recovering."

Kinaed comforts Salem.

Kinaed wonders to Ghed, "Do you have an update for us?"

Hawali states to Temi, "That's awesome. I've gotten frustrated in the past trying to come up with a noble app that didn't step all over previously RPed lore."

Temi nods in agreement with Hawali.

Particles of light coalesce to form Leta. [OOC]

Leta waves.

Temi states, "It's a challenging thing, we know, want to improve it"

Ghed nods.

Temi gives a clever, folded paper fan painted to resemble a dictionary to Leta.

Kinaed says to Leta, "I just called on Ghed."

Ghed says, "This week I mostly finished my finals and already I started to make up for lost time. I did a few phome requests, fixed things here and there and started preparing new scripts. Talked plot things with the Teminator."

Hawali says to Temi, "And that's exactly the way to do it."

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed says to Ghed, "Thanks :)"

Ghed nods.

Kinaed queries to Leta, "Are you able to give us an update?"

Ghed states, "(I also restocked the auction house)"

Kinaed states to Ghed, "Awesome :)"

Leta exclaims, "Mostly the usual stuff: phomes, requests, recommend, questions! Otherwise, I set up the mobs and rooms for this ST Andorig's now running"

Kinaed smiles.

Leta states, "And at Ghed's request, I went through the auction house stockpile"

Leta says, "Got rid of some of the pre-xterm stuff that hadn't sold and was clogging up the system."

Deedee asks, "How's the ST going?"

Kinaed nods at Leta.

Temi says, "Just getting ramped up, it sounds like"

Temi claims, "They wanted to continue instead of coming"

Deedee nods.

Kinaed wonders, "I have no idea, but I assume good since the entire suite of players decided to do that rather than join OOC Chat - and who can blame them? :)"

Ghed declares, "I can!"

Kinaed says, "My update - last week I finally hired our visual designer who did our website to make some advertisements for TI, and I've shortlisted some websites to run advertisements on."

Deedee says, "Great! we can make catastrphohic policy changes without interference. muahaha"

Kinaed says, "I'm really keen to hear other advertising ideas."

Kinaed states, "Meanwhile, a player with Dev Ops experience has kindly donated some of their time to help me work out my programming workflow so I don't need to use a Virtual Box."

Kinaed queries, "I... think that's everything?"

MUDnoob says, "Oo. DevOps. That's a dark art if ever there was one."

Kinaed says, "And that's all for Staff updates this week :)"

Kinaed exclaims to MUDnoob, "I know!"

Hawali claims, "Advertising sounds great. I'm -always- happy when newbs roll in. Nothing against all you people I've known forever, but-- fresh meat."

Kinaed coughs.

Temi queries to Hawali, "You're just greedy and want all of us and anybody else too?"

Kinaed declares, "Next up - Player Heartbeat!"

Temi grins.

Hawali steeples her fingers.

Kinaed muses, "How was the game for you this week folks?"

Deedee asks, "Anyone who joined relatively recently, how did you find us?"

Trajen says, "Great. I'm trying to talk a friend into recording a video for youtube of him playing a char so we can share it around."

Alenta states, "I found via google"

Kinaed declaims, "Sweet!"

MUDnoob claims, "A random comment someone made on MU Soapbox. Probably not the place to advertise a MUD, but."

Kinaed queries to Alenta, "That's good to hear! May I asked what you searched on?"

Ghed muses to MUDnoob, "Hm?"

Kinaed nods at MUDnoob.

Alenta states, "Was looking for roleplaying gsmes text based so muds mushes etc mostly. I had a good time so far I think thougj some things seem a bit weird"

Hawali says to Kinaed, "I've gotten to RP, which is always a win after months of dry spell."

Kinaed claims to Alenta, "If you're free to talk after, I'd love to hear about what's weird and so on."

Kinaed smiles at Hawali.

Kinaed says to Hawali, "I hope it was good fun"

Hawali says to Kinaed, "Trying to find my niche in play again. I'm wobbly, but I'll get there."

Trajen says, "Good to see Hawali again too."

Deedee says, "Still pretty swamped with RL obligations, but found time for a few scenes this week"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Kinaed nods at Hawali.

MUDnoob states, "I made a plan! And I'm gonna use the plot code for the first time once I sit down and figure it out. So, good for me :D"

Temi declaims, "Whee!"

Kinaed says to MUDnoob, "We'll be excited to see it play out :)"

New Content

Kinaed queries, "Anyone else want to tell us how your week went?"

Kinaed asks, "Anything shitting anyone that they want staff to know about?"

Temi states, "On plots: by the way, I'm sorry I missed that the plot header had closed and didn't reopen when I extended the time"

Temi states, "We've got one open for it again"

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed states to Temi, "Thanks for fixing that up."

Deedee says, "Whoops. yeah, I need to submit one for that, thanks for reopening"

Trajen says, "Temi's forum post on plots is good, Mutenewb"

Kinaed claims, "It... may be better than the help files, actually."

Kinaed sinks into thought.

Kinaed wonders to Trajen, "Do you have the link off-hand?"

MUDnoob says, "I will check it out :)"

Trajen states, "I can get it easy. I saved it somewhere"

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed says, "Thank you."

Temi queries, "Https://ti-legacy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2006"

Kinaed questions, "Alright - we don't have any registered topics for the moment. And we've gone through staff updates. Is there anything anyone wants to discuss?"

Hawali questions, "Not shitting me so much as a reminder I love to spam: be good to your newbies. Love that cyan blue to death if you want this game to keep living. Throw them emotes. Throw them plot hooks. Go out of your way to give them a reason to keep coming back. It's a steep learning curve for a lot of people who come in here to check us out; if they're not engaged, why would they come back?"

Temi claims, "I stickied it"

Kinaed smiles at Hawali.

Kinaed states to Hawali, "I love it."

Kinaed nods at Hawali.

Violet waves.

Kinaed questions, "I am curious - if you had to advertise a MUD, what would you do?"

Temi gives a clever, folded paper fan painted to resemble a dictionary to Violet.

Kinaed claims, "Also noting that in some places, we have a 'bad' reputation."

Ghed says, "I'd make a TikTok"

Izari claims, "I'll twerk with Ghed on tiktok"

Kinaed queries to Ghed, "I have no idea how to do that, but maybe our designer does?"

Ghed states, "That's what kids do these days"

Trajen states, "Rofl"

Deedee states to Kinaed, "I recall someone joined us because of the comments on one of those places"

Hawali trails off, "I wanted to livestream play on Discord... but I need to review policy to see if I can do that..."

Kinaed queries, "Anything else?"

Ghed says to Hawali, "That's interesting"

Deedee states, "No such thing as bad publicity and all that I guess"

Kinaed claims to Deedee, "Yeah, but I think the battles that our current players face and stuff when they post is an unfair thing to put them through or expect."

Kinaed nods.

Alenta muses, "If someone can post a stream to youtube livestreaming doesnt seem fsr off?"

Kinaed muses, "What does fsr mean?"

Kinaed claims, "Oh, far"

Kinaed says, "Sorry, I was up at 6am today and I'm not better for it"

Deedee claims, "I'd assume sharing videos would fall under the policy for posting RP logs"

Kinaed claims, "Theoretically it would, yes."

Kinaed claims, "I haven't even thought of it though."

Deedee claims, "Which I'm not entirely familiar with, but I think you're supposed to get permission and/or wait for any RP threads to be over"

Kinaed states, "Get permission is just fine."

MUDnoob claims, "Maybe somewhere like RPG.net. They do host things like play by post, maybe they'd be open to a section on MUDs."

Hawali says, "And avoid spamming... 'score/where/who/pool/acc' every other emote. Derp."

Kinaed states, "Or wait, yes, albeit the waiting period is arbitrarily 3 months if it's unclear if the RP line is over"

Kinaed states, "Okay, I've got quite a list here already, actually - thank you everyone."

Kinaed claims, "Okay, anything else on anyone's minds? If not, we can all go back to grid? Or maybe convince whomever wanted to Twerk that it's time to put on a show."

Ghed points at Izari

Izari claims, "Let's get it Ghed, you and me"

Kinaed says to Izari, "Oh yeah, that's right. You're our volunteer. :)"

Hawali says, "Sounds like a Stardust headliner."

Izari claims, "We'll have 40 new players by tomorrow"

Kinaed questions, "I have missed the Stardust Gazette - that's the name of it, isn't it?"

Deedee claims, "Twerkin' it for Jes- Dav."

MUDnoob claims, "Oh, I did have a question actually"

Kinaed perks her ears towards MUDnoob.

Temi states, "That Stardust is the sleazy dance hall southside"

Temi grins.

MUDnoob says, "Is there a way to trash something so that it doesn't respawn? Case in point, the Physicians have some unlabelled medicine to get rid of, but obviously little bottles of murky liquid appearing around the grid would be... less than ideal."

Flower says OOCly, "Eek, leaving home. bbiaf!!"

Flower declares, "Ahem. bye!!"

Deedee claims, "You can bury them"

Kinaed claims, "There are magical ways to destroy objects or bury."

Kinaed says, "But people can dig up buried stuff if they find that too"

Deedee claims, "Can also use IP to destroy things"

Kinaed queries, "But if you throw away rubbish it CAN respawn. Is it respawning at undesirable rates?"

Deedee claims, "Sorry, QP"

Violet muses, "Oh... yeah, maybe it'd be worth discussing how things respawn? I've been told the sewers are currently full of my old fruit preserves"

Ghed says, "I think she means spawning in the sewers"

Ghed states, "Since junked stuff ends up there"

Ghed claims to Violet, "Oh yeah, yeah, yeah"

Ghed shudders.

Izari trails off, "So many Violet jars down there, I could stock the city with uh... recycled preserves"

Kinaed says, "We may need to adjust the frequency of respawns."

MUDnoob declaims, "I've no idea what the respawn rate is. I can just see the rumour now - rogue herbalist leaves unknown potions around!"

Temi states, "Maybe food stuff should just decay away instead of being moved"

Kinaed grins at MUDnoob.

Ghed nods at Temi.

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Izari states, "I just consider them a tasty sewer snack and indulge a little"

Violet declaims, "Yeah... the sewers need a bit of attention re: rubbish frequency and selection, I think. But I like the ide!"

Deedee nods at Izari.

Kinaed takes notes.

Hawali says, "I did have trouble with some of the things... my, um, friend picked up in the sewers."

Izari states, "Also a ridiculous amount of chargen clothing down there too"

Ghed trails off, "If you see a party with food bits that have no coherence or theme..."

Kinaed spittakes at Izari's indulgences.

Hawali claims, "Unfinalized things."

Ghed nods at Izari.

Ghed says, "I should take care of that"

Ghed says, "Also crafting bits like springs or food scraps"

Temi states, "I think it should be considered expected that trashing stuff doesn't actually destroy it, and it ends up in rubbish heaps or the sewer. So destroying stuff is a bit harder. Good to consign paper things."

Deedee says, "I thought chargen clothing was supposed to poof if junked or donated"

Ghed states to Deedee, "I don't think so no"

Kinaed makes a note that people probably shouldn't be able to junk unfinalized objects at all.

MUDnoob drinks all the unlabelled potions, so nobody else has to >.>

Ghed says, "And newbie clothes should despawn upon junked"

Kinaed makes a note about chargen items, except journals, poofing.

Kinaed nods at Ghed.

Kinaed claims, "Mudnoob's practicing to become the King's Taster."

Trajen claims, "Hehe"

Izari states, "That's what the physicians get paid for right"

Deedee says, "I think they do poof when donated, but that predates the junk system going to sewers"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Kinaed says, "I've got a list of small fixes here for the junk command."

Kinaed says, "I think if we implement some of these things, it'll reduce what comes through a bit"

Izari claims, "Oh and so many party envelopes, yall should scrapbook those for the memories"

Kinaed says, "And from there, fi you can tell us if it's still too much once implemented, we can look at things like the respawn rate overall, etc"

Deedee claims, "Well envelopes do decay"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Izari claims, "Pretty slow rate, then"

Deedee muses, "Not that slow, maybe an OOC week?"

Deedee says, "That is once they are mailed though"

Deedee says, "Ones that aren't sent through the mail don't decay I don't think"

MUDnoob says, "They do not. I use them for sorting small things."

Izari exclaims, "Nevermind then! Must be perfect timing then"

Deedee states, "I miss non-decaying paper boxes. Though I get why decay was added"

MUDnoob says, "On that note, there might be a bug with paper boxes."

Deedee wonders, "What's that?"

MUDnoob states, "I keep meaning to ask about it. If they're installed, they don't seem to actually poof when they reach 0 days."

MUDnoob says, "I'll grab evidence and submit in a request."

Deedee muses, "Are they in a coldroom?"

MUDnoob asks, "Yes. Does that make a difference?"

Deedee claims, "Yes, coldrooms stop things from entirely decaying. once you taken them out of the room at 0 days they'll poof pretty quickly though"

Trajen says, "Oh ok. ty"

MUDnoob claims, "Noted, thank you :)"

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed muses, "Anything else we can help anyone with?"

Kinaed wonders, "Questions or oddities?"

Kinaed states, "Seems like it might be a no :)"

Ghed claims, "I'd like to say I'm very pleased with the amount of recommends"

Deedee needs to recommend more

Ghed says, "Now go kill each other or somethin' willya"

MUDnoob says, "Same."

Ghed grabs popcorn

Kinaed states, "We have an incoming topic, actually."

Leta states, "Recommends are great."

MUDnoob gasp!

Leta says, "Staff get happy when we see them =)"

Kinaed claims, "Also, I want to ask players' opinions about a Staff conundrum. :)"

Kinaed asks, "So let's do the topic first, then if there's time, Staff conundrum, then we can retire back to the grid?"

MUDnoob tells Kinaed, "The answer is always yes, unless it's for Izari. Then no."

Deedee says to Kinaed, "Yes, no, and maybe."

Kinaed questions to Deedee, "There, what was I worried about when we have all of the bases covered? :)"

Kinaed says, "Just waiting for our topic poster to type up their topic, btw."

Leta claims, "AFK a sec, food"

Sparkles says, "I've got something real quick."

Kinaed nods at Sparkles.

Kinaed muses to Sparkles, "Please introduce us?"

Sparkles claims, "So I'm sorry if I'm silly and I've asked this before. But presently the offerings for the QP shop for Grandmaster crafting items seem mostly weapon focused - IE Damascus. But there are other items for crafts/interests that can only be found if there are level 75 crafters around. "

MUDnoob dreams of being Grandmaster in something.

Temi wonders, "Are there specific things you think people are interested in?"

Kinaed states, "I think we'd be happy to expand upon that if we had ideas, for sure."

Sparkles states, "The roast pig is one thing, some of the antique wood items per the last topic on that."

Kinaed says, "Okay, so we're specifically looking for additional Grandmaster crafting items to be sold at the QP shop."

Kinaed asks, "Are these ingredients? End products?"

Ghed claims, "Roast pig is end product"

Kinaed nods at Ghed.

Deedee says, "Roast pig used to be a product from a Tubori quarter NPC"

Deedee claims, "Until the fire and the NPC became a roast pig"

Kinaed says, "When I think of crafting, I often think of ingredients like Vavardi Silk, Purple dye and crimson dye, etc."

Kinaed states, "And we do sell those at the QP shop"

Ghed nods.

Kinaed asks, "So I guess we're looking for more things that people craft to be available to the populace at large at the QP shop?"

Sparkles nods.

Kinaed states, "I think it's reasonable for a QP shop."

Kinaed queries to Temi, "Thoughts?"

Ghed claims, "We already do this for blacksmithing"

Kinaed nods at Ghed.

Kinaed claims, "I just don't want the QP shop to undercut IC merchants"

Temi states, "I think some things that there's a particular use for having an alternative to get the best versions is nice"

Kinaed states, "Albeit QP tend to be far more limited."

Kinaed states, "And it can be hard to get GM items if there's no GM on grid."

Temi states, "If it's purely a for-fun type thing, then it might be nicer to give people an incentive to actually look for those rare crafters that can do it"

Deedee claims, "Yeah, no undercutting involved at the current prices"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Kinaed claims, "We used a formula to create the prices, we can probably dig that up and hold true to it"

MUDnoob says, "How about GM recipes that can be bought? No idea if that would conflict with the current 'if you have the skill you know the recipe' system."

Kinaed claims to MUDnoob, "It would. Physically we'd have to recode the system because of how recipes are 'earned'"

Ghed says, "Yeah it wouldn't work as it is for a sleuth or reasons"

Deedee nods.

MUDnoob claims, "Never mind, then. The current system is nice :D"

Ghed declares to MUDnoob, "But thanks for the idea!"

Deedee says, "I remember there was an idea for a template system though"

Kinaed states, "It's not impossible, but the craft system isn't a broken system, and I'd like to focus on a bit of fixing up of broken things for people before rejigging things that are working fairly well."

Deedee nods.

Kinaed exclaims, "And yes - please do not let that dissuade you from bringing up ideas, they're still good to hear!"

MUDnoob states, "The other option is, more types of 'super quality goods' to vary the existing recipes with."

MUDnoob says, "A new dye becomes fashionable and expensive, or a new wood is found in a tiny grove in Tubor, or whatever."

Deedee claims, "There are some super goods in the QP shop"

Temi says, "We do have some of those types of things, that can impart a special @appraise to their products"

Temi nods.

Kinaed jots down some more notes.

MUDnoob is just spitballing. Has not actually seen the QP shop.

Deedee states, "Finished goods, aside from the rare ingredients"

Kinaed muses, "Okay, anything else on that?"

MUDnoob questions, "Six minutes for your staff quandry?"

Kinaed states, "We have 7 minutes, I don't know if it's enough to discuss the Staff Conundrum. The Staff Conundrum has to do with how we're enforcing that GLs follow HELP GUILDLEADER POLICY."

Kinaed claims, "We're really grateful for our GL players, and we know the more we get pushy, the more we turn off our GLs. Who are our players and very valuable."

Deedee says, "That seems to be 'help policy guildleader' for anyone else looking it up"

Kinaed claims, "But on the other hand, we feel like there are some GLs that are just not doing the role... but we also don't have enough people that enforcement means we'll have a replacement in line."

Temi nods at Kinaed.

MUDnoob wonders, "I guess it depends on what isn't being done?"

Kinaed states, "And Staff are typically very hands off in RP, so it feels really weird to step in as a player advocate and be like 'We think you're not <insert whatever thing is in HELP POLICY GUILDLEADERS that's hgihly concerning us>"

MUDnoob claims, "One of the things in the policy is about making sure the 2GL spot is filled. For the Physicians that's pretty difficult right now, as other than the Prime, we have someone who doesn't want the role, a student and an orderly. Neither of whom can actually practice medicine independently."

MUDnoob states, "As an example of mitigating cirucumstances."

Kinaed claims to MUDnoob, "To a degree. The biggest, most often issue is GLs who are mostly inactive, but manage to be just active enough to avoid the game flagging them to us. For long periods. But we also have GLs in the past who have had some extremely unthemely ideas, or who just did nothing with thier guild members even though their RP was fine."

Kinaed nods at MUDnoob.

Kinaed states, "Yes, that's part of the conundrum. It's not like we have a lot of people to replace GLs either."

Deedee nods.

Sparkles claims, "I think one thing in that case is that inability to practice independently is via an IC decision not an OOC rule."

Kinaed states, "But we worry that players leave the game when they can't get into a guild or get stifled from progress in a guild."

Temi states, "I think, by definitions, conundrums can't be easy."

Temi grins.

Kinaed says, "So we want to improve the situation for everyone, but really don't know how to go about it."

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Temi nods at Sparkles.

MUDnoob claims, "So, I have a related question."

Temi says, "Making the lower levels as fun as possible can be a good fix in some ways."

Kinaed questions to Sparkles, "Do you think Staff should step in on IC decisions that are OOC problems?"

MUDnoob asks, "Who do the guilds answer to, IC? Directly to the King/Court? To a particular title?"

Deedee claims, "It depends on the guild"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Sparkles claims, "I think if an IC decision is making the game OOCly difficult for people to enjoy, it goes against the spirit if not the letter of the GL ideal."

Kinaed states, "It's near the top of the hour though, and I have to do some things today that are important for family.."

Kinaed wonders, "Maybe we can think about it and discuss next OOC Chat?"

Ghed nods.

Sparkles has returned from AFK.

MUDnoob states, "Maybe it's a chance to drive RP down the leadership hierarchy. If guild X isn't fulfilling its mandate, or the GL isn't, then maybe whomever that guild answers to should kick butt."

Ghed states, "Definitely"

Kinaed says, "Thanks everyone. We appreciate your time and thoughts today."

Deedee states, "Nearly all of the guilds don't currenly have a 2nd GL though"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

[MUD crash]

Kinaed says, "Bet money that was a ST command."

Ghed states, "Yeah"

Deedee states, "Was thinking the same"

Kinaed grins.

Deedee claims, "Either that or Kinaed nodded too hard"

Violet says, "Ooof"

Trajen states, "One thing I've noticed is it's hard to remember to delegate. It's just natural to try and do everything, but idk if that would change much for this."

Kinaed claims, "Okay, I'm going to wrap up the OOC Chat now. If anyone logs in and doesn't know what to do after I've put you back, people can re-enter the grid by going DOWN from here."

Trajen stands up.

Kinaed claims, "Once again, thank you so much for attending this week's OOC Chat. We hope to see you agian next week."

Ghed waves.

Kinaed claims, "I'm going to return you to grid in 3.."

Kinaed claims, "2.."

Deedee waves.

Kinaed states, "1.."

• Information