Log of OOC Meeting: 1-29-22

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Sparkles

Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:26 pm

Temi questions, "Our agenda for today is: 1) staff updates, 2) player heartbeat, and 3) player topics. Before we get started, anyone want to get on the list for player topics?"

Gunn says, "Aye think we're gud"

Deedee states, "I have a small thing, can probably bring it up before player topics though"

Temi states, "Nobody? Sounds like a no so far. If you think of anything, please let us know"

Temi states, "Aha, one PSA and Deedee"

Temi declaims, "So, staff updates! We'll wait on Kin, since she's on the phone"

Deedee asks, "My thing is a question for staff, if I could ask meanwhile?"

Temi states, "For myself, I just got back from a week visiting family with my Dad and am now fully back again this week. I'm prioritizing getting the Tubori Succession plot back on track. We've been discussing how to do that - it's not forgotten, just schedules being problematic."

Deedee claims, "Oh yeah, I forgot about that."

Deedee states, "I've enjoyed the scenes I've had around it"

Temi claims, "We've also got a plan now for how to handle noble applications going forwards with more consistency, so we'll have some going through and updating all of the domain helpfiles, which will be a lot upfront"

Temi says, "But I think it will help longterm"

Temi asks, "Okay, Leta?"

Deedee muses, "Even ones without a helpfile presently?"

Leta declares, "I made some mobs and rooms for the upcoming ST. I also handled some typos and the usual phome-building, questions, requests and recommends. Otherwise a quiet week on my end!"

Temi states to Deedee, "Yes, those will be becoming 'Open to applications establishing full domain histories', but most will require a little more info from our databases"

Deedee says, "Ah, interesting"

Temi states, "We're not going to define things that aren't already defined, but narrow down what we already know to make it more obvious"

Temi wonders, "Okay, Ghed?"

Ghed nods.

Ghed states, "This week -- finals! But other than that I did some player requests I had postponed. Lots of them. Then some upgrading of phomes, and recommends."

Leta says, "Speaking of which, please remind staff if you would like certain positions in your guild to be open for applications. We will be recreating the note"

Deedee claims to Ghed, "Good luck on finals"

Temi pontificates, "Thanks! That's all very helpful stuff, especially on top of your finals"

Ghed says to Deedee, "Thanks"

Temi says, "Okay, I think we don't have Kin back yet, so we'll come back to here."

Deedee queries, "Oh yeah, what happened to the applications note?"

Leta says, "Went poof =("

Temi says, "Something ate it. But don't worry. We're pretty sure it doesn't eat players."

Deedee claims to Temi, "That's a relief."

Deedee claims, "That's my jo- err."

Temi asks, "Player heartbeat! How's RP been this week folks?"

Leta claims, "Noble applications are still open, as should be several guild roles"

Trajen says, "Great. Fun. Busy. lol"

Sparkles states, "Some interesting scenes this week. The event was fun."

Temi nods in agreement.

Deedee states, "Been a busy week IRL as usual, but had time for a few scenes"

Temi says, "Definitely heard good things about the event"

MUDnoob states, "Quieter due to RL, same as Deedee, but what RP I got was good."

Temi states, "And that happens. RL keeping busy is just a fact of life"

Temi states, "Hopefully folks get enough breaks in that"

Deedee nods.

Trogdor states, "Not if you have a life, modern problems require modern solutions"

Temi queries, "Anything that's been bothering anyone lately, that isn't already a topic?"

Violet states, "Idk if what I have is more PSA then topic, but happy to bring it up whenever"

Ghed muses to Violet, "Yep?"

Sparkles states, "I have something but it can wait til the end if there's time."

Temi claims, "I'll add you in there"

Temi nods.

MUDnoob says, "Kinda, yeah, Temi. That post from Dyrian's player on the discord."

Temi nods at MUDnoob.

Deedee asks, "I'm not on the discord, something you can share here?"

MUDnoob says, "Sure, if Temi is ok with that."

MUDnoob says, "I dunno if it's going to be discussed now or later."

Temi states, "Us too. We know Dyrian hasn't really played in 6 months, but we're certainly happy to get any of those reports of harrassment that people have seen, especially if there's multiple people that are seeing an issue we aren't aware of"

Deedee states, "Ghed sent me a tell with it, thanks"

Temi finishes abruptly, "But yeah, if you have stuff, please feel free to come forward - post a request board for Kin to look at as our policy person"

Trogdor claims, "Bleargh"

Deedee says, "I'm not familiar with Dyrian's situation"

MUDnoob says, "On one hand, harassment is always serious. On the other without knowing what his player was talking about, it sounds more like someone who didn't 'get' what issues the theme could bring to bear. Like heretics being burned, and all that."

Temi nods.

Temi says, "Yeah, we're not sure what the issues at hand are, but definitely willing to take them seriously"

Temi states, "Okay, let's go on to topics then."

Temi queries, "Deedee, you had something?"

Deedee states, "Yes, I saw in help news that you can't move phomes anymore. Wanted to ask if that also applies to tents and ships"

Trogdor says, "If you disappear for six months (as mentioned) and then reappear only to say you are leaving, well, that's not a good faith effort in changing hearts and minds"

Ghed says to Deedee, "It does. Phomes in general."

Ghed says, "Omn that note"

Ghed states, "If you are travelling on your ship to Tubor, ofc I will happily disconnect you from grid while the trip lasts"

Ghed asks, "By 'tent' you mean like a charali yurt?"

Anonymous claims, "It does kind of feel like tents and ships should be able to move around."

Temi claims, "I think we'd be more open to that, but we didn't discuss it."

Temi says, "We'll add it back to the staff talking points list."

Anonymous asks, "Maybe because they're rare compared to houses?"

Deedee states, "Not sure, but tents are an option in the phome helpfiles"

Temi states, "We've never had a case of people moving those in the same way that houses are moved, so we forgot about it"

Temi says, "Okay, added to the list"

Trajen states, "Since this is built on Diku, moveable tents might already be in the code."

Temi queries, "That was it for that topic?"

Ghed states, "I did send a sailor in her boat to Tubor last year for a bit"

Ghed claims, "In fact I puppetted her crew and sang pirate songs"

Temi states, "Yeah, we've definitely detached and reattached ships at the same place"

Deedee says to Temi, "That was it, yes"

Trajen states, "Awesome. :)"

Ghed a pirate I was meant to be, trim the sails and roam the sea
Ghed appears to be a grandmaster at singing.

Temi asks, "Okay! Violet had a topic then?"

Ghed nods.

Violet pontificates, "Oh, yeah!"

MUDnoob states, "I need to go deal with RL, but will keep connected so I can read the backlog."

Violet states, "I've noticed an increase in people describing things as antique/vintage/refurbished. I wanted to caution away from artificially-aging newly crafted items for a few reasons:

1. There are craftable antiques already in woodworking, so making 'antique' furniture diminishes that high-skill ability.

2. There are a ton of old/vintage items on grid. Wines made in 37x, furniture from 30+ IC years ago. Those items are made special in part because they've been around a while and lasted this long, so making a brand-new thing and describing it as made in 360 SC discounts that.

3. We have a salvage system, so if you want, you CAN make new items with old materials or describe them as recycling or refurbishing the old. You can also pay to retool old items if the pre-xterm strings make you sad."

Deedee claims, "Oh yeah, that reminds me"

Violet states, "I am definitely not trying to single anyone out here, as I've been guilty of this myself from time-to-time, just asking for a bit of extra mindfulness about how this affects items on grid."

Temi states, "A good reminder. There's a special set of crafts for restoring antiques in woodworking, even"

Deedee asks, "I bought an antique bookcase or something crafted by a player, and on appraise I couldn't tell if it was legitimate antique or not, is there anything that should show up if it were?"

Gunn nods at Violet.

Temi muses, "Do the antiques have @appraise messages, does anyone know?"

Violet claims, "There are special appraisal descriptions for the woodworking craft skill"

Temi nods.

Violet claims, "Yep"

Violet says, "They describe the piece's history a bit"

Temi declares, "Thanks! They should have a special line on appraise then that confirms them as antiques"

Sparkles says, "There's specific antique crafts but ... currently you can tool things to be those woods (as long as it's exotic wood) but some of those don't pass forward the special descrip bits."

Trajen trails off, "Antiques Road Show..."

Deedee asks, "I'll check again. if there's nothing then should I inform staff?"

Deedee states, "Antiques can be made from any wood, so that's not the issue"

Temi claims, "Feel free to bring it up if it looks problematic, sure, especially if there's an antique version available that wasn't used."

Elise queries, "Can I ask a question about that topic? The one about antiques?"

Temi nods at Elise.

Elise asks, "If we received an item and it is not strung properly for an example, describing something as an antique when it is not. Are we permitted to retool the item properly or does it have to be destroyed / salvaged?"

Ghed claims, "You might wanna tell staff first to see if we can track who made it"

Elise pontificates, "Alrighty :) Thank you for clarification!"

Temi claims, "I don't see any issue with fixing it, but retooling in general is something that has its limitations and costs and you can do that if you pay them"

Temi claims, "But yeah, letting staff know in there may not be bad either"

Temi muses, "Okay, Sparkles, you had something?"

Violet states, "Cool! That's all I had :) More a PSA than anything. Just a reminder to be thoughtful about that sort of stuff"

Trajen states, "If it's helpful I oculd rewrite what you said and post an announce on the board."

Sparkles states, "So given that we have some races that require staff request and aren't available at chargen."

Ghed nods.

Sparkles muses, "Has there been any consideration about how to handle those languages?"

Temi muses, "What are you thinking?"

Temi states, "We hadn't, because the main reason we have those races aren't to limit them, but to make sure people know what they are getting into"

Temi gives a small dark chocolate molded in the shape of a wine barrel to Wimpled.

Sparkles states, "Well mostly that languages being request only but the languages being freely open seems to cause some uh ... disconnects at times."

Sparkles says, "Or the races, sorry, brain."

Temi wonders, "What do people think in general?"

Deedee claims, "I don't understand the issue"

Anonymous states, "Yeah I'm not getting the topic"

Anonymous questions, "What is it about languages?"

Ghed wonders, "You mean like charalis knowing tubori?"

Ghed queries, "Or some other abomination?"

Earthworm coughs innocently.

Violet claims, "Idk if this is the sentiment, but I don't think folks should be able to purchase Hillish and Charali in character generation all willy-nilly unless they have a justification for it. There's been a lot of Lithmorrans who never left the duchy who somehow have all these 'savage' languages"

Temi muses, "I was taking it as people having to apply to get Charali language, just like they have to apply to be Charali?"

Gunn states, "Who ye callin' savage"

Anonymous claims, "I learned them on grid from hillmen/charali. *shrug*."

Anonymous claims, "I just see it as 'I ran into a hillman/charali before coming to lithmore and they taught me some'."

Violet shrugs.

Sparkles states, "Well also there's sometimes the oddity that people kind of 'get around' taking the coded races thus avoiding the coded penalties while being able to RP/be assumed as a member of said race."

Violet questions, "It is a bit overly common. I don't see it as a big issue, but Sparkles, is that what you meant?"

Ghed questions to Sparkles, "You mean half-bloods?"

Deedee states, "Just as a note, you can learn or purchase your race's language and lithmorran without limit, but others have be learn mastered to learn above rank 36 as with other skills"

Earthworm states, "People who share charali/hillman blood are considered savages regardless."

Temi nods.

Sparkles says, "Only if people know it or care."

Temi says, "Would be totally thematic for half-bloods who let that be known to be treated as outsiders by both sides."

Earthworm states, "That just kind of gets into how people frequently don't act thematic."

Ghed says, "I do think that half-bloods should codedly main to their savage side"

Ghed claims, "But I don't have my thoughts organized on the matter"

Sparkles claims, "But given that AFAIK being Lithmorran gives code bonuses for things like Prestige"

Ghed nods at Sparkles.

Sparkles claims, "It feels a bit hinky at times."

Deedee states, "I suppose it's how they present themselves"

Temi nods.

Deedee claims, "We don't have any code for half-breeds, so they have to choose which most represents them"

Temi claims, "If someone is passing as Charali, they should be Charali. If they are passing as Lithmorran, they can be Lithmorran, in which case they ICly might want to keep any Charali side more under-wraps or such, to enable them to continue passing as Lithmorran"

Earthworm claims, "I know of 3 half blood characters, and all but one of them is codedly their savage race. The third isn't in a position for prestige or social standing to matter."

Leta is idle.

Sparkles says, "I'm not neccessarily talking about anyone currently playing or anything in particular. Having played for a bit it's kind of a recurring 'thing'."

Temi nods.

Temi questions, "Would people like staff to help lock that down more?"

Temi says, "To clarify, the amount we lock down the 'savage' races now, is just get people to confirm they know they are signing up for racism, not a full application for review or approval"

Deedee nods.

To clarify, Deedee nods to the clarification. [Deedee]

Temi claims, "Okay, not hearing anything further, we can move on."

Temi wonders to Anonymous, "You had a PSA?"

Anonymous claims, "Yes, I did! I am running my first story for TI here pretty soon (sometime within th enext 1 or 2 weeks), and I'd like to encourage anyone inclined to sign up for it. 6 spots, Orderites get priority given what it is. And I hope everyone who does come will enjoy it."

Anonymous says, "And I've got a post about it on the general board."

Temi declares, "Very exciting! People, definitely take a look at that"

Ghed declaims, "Excellent!"

Deedee declares, "Depends on the timing, but sounds fun!"

Deedee muses, "You said it will be multi-part?"

Temi muses to Anonymous, "Can you nail down the time and put up an announcement for people to look at signing up?"

Anonymous says, "The story? No... its intended to be finished in one day, two at the most. I do have a section planned to halt things and pick up the next day if it runs long."

Anonymous says to Temi, "I opened a doodle for people who want to sign up to giv eme their times so I can find one that works for people"

Temi states, "Hopefully that helps people. I know some people like to go the other way on time too, so you may see more after you finalize the time"

Temi muses, "Okay. Did anyone want to discuss anything else for now?"

Hawali says, "Not I."

Deedee says, "Not related to TI, but"

Deedee states, "I'm playing around with making my own silicone molds for chocolate making, pretty fun. hope they turn out well"

Temi says, "Ooh, nice! Good luck with that."

Hawali claims, "Yumm."

Temi trails off, "If you need any help with eating chocolates..."

Deedee grins at Temi.

Trajen claims, "Lol. Cool."

Deedee claims, "Going to do some plain, some filled with caramel, some filled with nutella"

Temi says, "Nom nom"

Trogdor asks, "I have to go, can i get a transport out?"

MUDnoob sidles up to Deedee.

Deedee claims, "Maybe some with a toffee layer."

Temi asks, "Alright, anything else, or should we send folks back?"

Deedee says, "I think that's it. haha"

Deedee pontificates, "Hope Kinaed's situation is okay!"

Hawali waves.

Temi pontificates, "Okay, everybody, have fun!"

• Information