Log of OOC Meeting - 2022-01-09

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

MUDnoob

Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:02 pm

Kinaed states, "Okay, let's kick this off. MUDnoob has volunteered to be scribe, and I'll take it."

Kinaed states, "Today's Agenda is:

- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today? If you register a topic, please pre-write it so you're ready to present it when called upon."

Kinaed claims, "Okay, if no one has anything to add for topics - send me a tell if you think of anything - I'll kick off staff updates."

Kinaed claims, "Okay, Staff Updates."

Kinaed says, "Last week I held part of an OOC Staff meeting, processed the request queue, and did some code changes for TI under Salem's guidance."

Trogdor declares, "Noice!"

Kinaed claims, "I don't know whether people noticed Eos stepped down, so I'm stepping up. I haven't programmed in 20-odd years, but Salem's a great teacher and really knows their stuff, so it'd been fun."

Trogdor says, "Coding ftw"

Deedee didn't notice.

Kinaed claims, "That's it for me."

Deedee wonders, "Time issue?"

Kinaed queries, "Next up - Ghed, are you afk?"

Kinaed claims, "Largely a time issue, yep"

Ghed nods.

Ghed says, "This week I mostly did player requests, a few phomes and helpfiles, cleaned the Pawnshop for a proper item stock renewal, many recommends, and worked on improving some NPC scripts. I've been slower than usual because of finals which will last until mid february."

Kinaed claims, "Thanks :)"

Kinaed states to Leta, "You're up :)"

Leta says, "Difficult week IRL, but I answered some player questions, requests and recommends. I also made a few tweaks to things. I updated help lore to clarify that individuals with high city lore see more with the 'lore leaders' command. I also adjusted help prestige with Kinaed. It now explains that prestige is NOT popularity, but rather a measure of financial and political power. Someone can be disliked and still prestigious. I made help domain Lower Gerdain and help domain Awan Ride up-to-date."

Temi gives a cream-hued, ceramic bowl shaped like half an oyster shell to Anonymous.

Leta states, "I fixed the Court notify thing too"

Leta says, "I also combed through character generation and updated any helpfiles/commands that were outdated. For example, the rooms now reference the chargen command rather then telling players they have to contact staff in order to return. I plan to add a room with example character descriptions and elaborate on the 'score' command per two helpful cyan suggestions. =)"

Ghed says, "Stahp pls"

Ghed states, "Making me look bad"

Kinaed states, "Nice :)"

Kinaed says, "Thank you :)"

Kinaed states to Temi, "Your turn :)"

Temi finishes abruptly, "Salem did a neat new feature for magecrafting, so my new craft this week was to make use of that. Not that any of you good Davites will notice, but perhaps your witchy neighbors will enjoy it. So, new magecraft fun! My main focus has been on the Tubori Succession Plot. Hopefully people have been having fun with that. We've gotten a slow start with the two potential ducal sorts, and I'll be out the next couple of weekends, so we'll likely have to move the final event thing towards the end of the month. look for announcements on that. That said - I'll be gone next weekend through the weekend after that, so let me know if you need something sooner than that"

Kinaed claims, "Thank you :)"

Kinaed claims to Salem, "You're hiding in the who list :)"

Kinaed muses to Salem, "Do you have an update for us?"

Salem says, "I did a lot of bug fixing and teaching Kinaed to program."

Kinaed says, "Thank you :)"

Kinaed says, "I think that may be all for staff updates."

Salem states, "I don't remember what exactly. XD There was too much code this week in my brain."

Ghed says, "A lot of coding"

Kinaed says, "We fixed a lot of stuff in roles code, as I recall."

Violet pontificates, "You fixed covert guildskill pooling!"

Violet declaims, "Right? That was on news!"

Temi nods in agreement.

Trogdor states, "Whatever you did, we are thankful"

Kinaed states, "Yep, that one is there :)"

Kinaed wonders, "Okay! Next up - player heartbeat! How was the game for you this week?"

Trogdor says, "I had a blast as per usual"

Deedee claims, "Keepin busy"

MUDnoob says, "Having a great time. :)"

Kinaed states, "That's good to hear."

Deedee says, "RL will be resuming soon so won't have as much time to play, but trying to get some things I've neglected done before then."

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Jasmine trails off, "I've gotten quite a bit back into RP... wishing I had more time to play"

Violet states, "Busy busy"

Kinaed states, "Me too. time goes by so quickly with all of the holiday obligations. Well, for me."

Kinaed asks, "Anything shitting anyone about the game that they want to make sure staff know about?"

Ghed states, "Looks like things have been fun"

Kinaed nods at Ghed.

Kinaed claims, "It's always good to hear."

Kinaed says, "Seems like we have some crickets."

Temi grins.

Temi states, "Quiet ones, at that."

Kinaed says, "So let's move on to player topics - I had two registered, but one just sent a tell to withdraw because apparently it's quite long. "

Temi claims, "We probably have time for a bit of long."

Temi grins.

Kinaed wonders to MUDnoob, "You're the only other one registered :) Want to tell us what's on your mind?"

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Kinaed states, "I agree."

MUDnoob claims, "This probably isn't the place for it, but it seems the easiest way to talk to y'all OOCly. Just a big thanks to all the staff and players, who have been genuinely lovely and super helpful with all my noob questions, as well as being great to RP with. I've played on a -lot- of MU*s over the last ~20 years (though never a MUD!) and even where they claim to be open and welcoming to new/inexperienced folk, it isn't always the case, so. Thank you all for being awesome. <3"

Ghed throws confetti! "Hey that's great!"

Trogdor says, "Seconded"

Kinaed claims, "That's very kind, and I'm glad to hear it :)"

Deedee claims, ":)"

Ghed beams

Temi declaims, "Nice to hear!"

Trogdor muses, "Not new to MUDs, how does that happen? but still pretty new to this and it only gets more fun MUDnoob"

Kinaed states, "So much of the player experience is about the community, really."

Kinaed asks of MUDnoob, "Are you from MUSHes and other types of games?"

MUDnoob states, "Ayep."

Temi wonders, "Any things you've come across that are tough?"

Kinaed claims, "I've tried to play MUSHes before, but struggled with the command format."

Koukakala is idle.

Kinaed says, "I've heard there are some good games out there though."

Kinaed exclaims, "Oh, we do have a topic coming in!"

MUDnoob states, "I mean, a lot of the commands are fairly arcane to me, hence all the questions :D The 'Score' thing Leta mentioned, for example."

Kinaed nods at MUDnoob.

MUDnoob declaims, "But it's getting clearer!"

Kinaed says to MUDnoob, "Have you heard of 'help match <string>'? If you're having trouble finding a help file about something, you can search all help files that match a specific string with 'help match <string>'."

MUDnoob states, "I think the only thing I'm still truly mystified with (at the moment anyway) is knowing which commands will emote to the room, and which won't. "

Kinaed claims, "And, of course, happy to help on visnet"

Trogdor says, "Just think of what a bunch of drunk college students would do back in the 1990s for commands, and that is what is going on"

Kinaed scuffs.

Kinaed declares, "Okay, another topic!"

Kinaed wonders to trogdor, "You had something to talk about?"

Trogdor claims, "I fully recognize that the developers are busy, but I thought of a new mechanic that could be fun, the Insight mechanic:"

Kinaed opens curious ears.

Trogdor says, "It only pasted one line, damit"

Trogdor states, "Lol one sec"

Trogdor claims, "Insight is a mechanic between two players to __potentially__ convey IC (mis)information about a characters motivations. It is "

Temi comforts trogdor.

Trogdor says, "Insight request layer] ction] request an insight"

Ghed says, "Dude do you need a moment"

Trogdor states, "Insight reply layer] mote]"

Trogdor claims, "Insight reject player] "

Trogdor says, "And then i basically spec it out to a crazy degree"

Leta declares, "Perhaps posting it on forums would help? It sounds like you put a lot of work into this!"

Trogdor claims, "Oh yeah, the forums, i always forget about those"

Temi wonders, "I'm guessing it would rely on players to respond with something helpful? How would people feel about that?"

Trogdor says, "Well, helpful or unhelpful"

Trogdor claims, "I didn't get to that part yet"

Temi nods.

Temi claims, "All ears"

Trogdor states, "The player may then choose to provide an emote or reject it regardless of success., on a successful emote it should be accurate information into a characters thought process. On an unsuccessful attempt, it should be inaccurate information or rejected."

Jasmine says, "I don't really support using code to tell if someone is lying or not, that should be dubious and up to the interpretation of the roleplay"

Trogdor queries, "Player Trogdor: insight Stumpy why is stumpy chewing on paper?"

Trogdor queries, "Player Stumpy sees: Trogdor is requesting insight (handidly succeeds) into why is stumpy chewing on a paper?"

Trogdor says, "Player stumpy: insight reply /self is feeling hungry and isnt very bright."

MUDnoob asks, "It doesn't feel much different in terms of effort to throwing out an action, letting other players know what's going on, just with more of a call-and-reply approach?"

Trogdor claims, "More of a silent reply between two players"

Trogdor states, "Based upon each players individual roll (to guide the player they are requesting info from)"

Kinaed says, "I kind of prefer a mechanic where I might, as a player choose an optional emote, something like 'iemote charisma pass: Kinaed sounds super convincing. fail: Kinaed sounds like she's trying too hard." then have the code roll a success check against charisma for all perceiving players and they get the output."

Kinaed claims, "Something like that."

Koukakala wonders, "Could be valuable for interogations?"

Sparkles trails off, "Mmm. I think in game where one of the core components is intrigue/investigation simplifying that to pass-fail checks like D&D feels ... "

Kinaed says, "But I'm not sure if we'd see people use it a lot or not."

Jasmine claims, "It's like any social/non physical emote, it should be something you get out of the roleplay and determine yourself rather than have spelled out or instantly get an answer that maybe you might not be getting without a hard code check"

Trogdor states, "Even better"

Jasmine says, "Like we have had issues with people emoting with intelligence and saying something deadass stupid thinking their legendary intelligence is going to make that sound any less dumb"

Trogdor says, "Basically, my problem statement is i want to give information away that people can use against my character, but only if they succeed in some roll "

Kinaed says, "I'd definitely personally probably use a mechanic that let me put out into the world some variations on a theme. I don't think everyone would."

Kinaed nods at trogdor.

Sparkles says, "There is the command you can use to do that in STs to send info to a single other player that sometimes I kind of wish you could use like that so you don't need to resort to osay or tells."

Kinaed says, "True - but most of that requires the receiving player to KNOW that they succeeded or failed a roll."

Leta claims to Sparkles, "I do love that command. I used it a lot in the summoner plot, to provide individual people glimmers of insight."

Trogdor asks, "Yeah, it'd be great if there was a always a 'well, maybe? maybe not?'"

Jasmine states, "I don't feel it would be odd at all to simply include in your roleplay some descriptive language about it, and hemotes can be utilized to put information out, targetting certain people"

Kinaed states, "And also the outputting person to know what the other person got. I do kinda like it. I'm just not sure it'd get a lot of use."

Salem queries, "Couldn't you just contest them or roll a stat?"

Kinaed nods at Jasmine.

MUDnoob claims, "On MUSHes, it's not uncommon to prompt someone to do a roll of some kind, and then include additional information in an emote. For example, if someone rolls well on perception-type stuff, maybe adding something about if there's a hidden weapon or somesuch."

Trogdor says, "If people are close enough, they can see the hemotes "

MUDnoob asks, "Something similar might work?"

Jasmine looks at Stumpy eating paper and seems to be confused at their actions, but doesn't directly state anything.

Kinaed states to Salem, "Yes, but then you know a contest was held and if there was a success or failure."

Temi says, "I'm often happy to just emote it out there and say they might notice it if they were keyed in on that kind of thing, and leave it up to them."

Dreams claims, "We have rolls."

Kinaed nods at MUDnoob.

Dreams handily succeeds her strength check! [Ta569]

Dreams fails her intelligence check! [Ta569]

Kinaed states, "You can also contest against other players."

Dreams nods.

Trogdor states, "Yeah, that is underutilized imho"

Dreams claims, "The difference is, the contest results are seen only by the pair in the contest."

Violet states, "I tend to use rolls pretty heavily for like 'does my char know to keep her mouth shut', 'does she recognize the nuance in X situation', 'does she have the constitution/charisma to explain herself when stressed or under pressure'"

Kinaed says, "Okay, I think I'll put this one on the forums, then discuss the results in Staff Talking Points."

Kinaed says, "In my mind, it's pretty cool, but may get a low use."

Jasmine claims, "Anything that's not directly physical does heavily rely on, again, your roleplay, what you say, how you do it. Just succeeding a charisma check doesn't mean everyone loves what you say, agrees with you, and cheers"

Trogdor says, "I've got the whole thing written up in a more coherent fashion to spring board ideas off of"

Kinaed muses to trogdor, "Mind pboarding that to Staff?"

Trogdor says, "Or for people to say 'this sucks, and you suck for even thinking of this.'"

Temi states, "We'd certainly be happy for you to post the whole idea on the forums too"

Jasmine claims, "So just succeeding an insight check shouldn't determine whether you get more information--your character's actions and words should determine what information they get further"

Jasmine states, "And the conclusions that character comes to as they interpret the actions and responses"

Jasmine states, "I am not very comfortable having what is essentially a coded thing that someone could spam on me the instant they think I am lying, rather than using their actual noggin and engaging in roleplay with me"

Jasmine says, "Just like I'm not comfortable nodding and agreeing with someone flashing their legendary intelligence as they say the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life"

Trogdor says, "Lol i address that, just wait for judgement til you read it"

Trogdor claims, "That's all i ask"

Kinaed states, "I think insight checks are pretty standard for tabletop RP, and we mimic that quite a lot, so I'm not sure I agree that there's no value to an insight roll. I do agree that it shouldn't be something that can be spam-demanded."

MUDnoob claims, "Maybe give it a small xp cost, same as osay."

Kinaed claims, "That may depend a bit on implementation, and I do like the idea of a person writing their emote in such a way that passive observers may get more or less, and they control the output either way."

Trogdor states, "In the write up, i propose time gating it"

Kinaed says, "But I'll also reserve judgment :)"

Trogdor states, "So you can only do a few over taff determined minutes]"

Kinaed nods at MUDnoob.

Jasmine wonders, "What would that mean for the lying character, though? Like, they fail and you HAVE to give them information? How close would that skirt metagaming, anyways, putting the entirety of the weight of the response onto the person who might or might not be lying"

Dreams states, "I think all things can be up to intepretation. Someone could pass an int check, but the other person fail charisma, so it appears like they are lying because they are acting nervous, but they aren't. I don't think there should be any way to absolutely 100 percent know for a fact someone is lying, etc."

Ghed states, "Looking forward to reading the proposal"

Kipperonie says, "Tabletops tend to have very different rules about using insight on players versus NPCs. It could be useful, could be extremely abusable. Really depends on how the deed is done."

Ghed nods at Kipperonie.

Jasmine claims, "Just thinking about it, I see quite a lot of possible abuse both ways."

Ghed states, "Apocalypse world has something like 'you do as they say and earn XP, or don't and roll to resist'"

Kinaed states, "That's why I'd move away from an exchange system and create an implementation where the person writing the emote chooses what to put out based on if the other person passes, and the code determines who passes without telling either party, just presents the correct emote based on stats."

Kinaed states, "Or somethign like that."

Deedee states, "So long as it doesn't turn into an incite command."

Kipperonie questions, "Oh, so like, a special hemote?"

Kinaed nods at Kipperonie.

Temi asks, "A hemote for insight info instead of visible info?"

Temi nods.

Jasmine states, "I wouldn't mind that as much but I feel like I'd probably not use it very often"

Jasmine says, "Hemote already struggles from how everyone clings to doorways"

Kipperonie states, "Could be pretty cool. Gives bonus RPXP for purposefully opening yourself to inconvenience."

Kipperonie says, "Like thoughts and hemotes."

Kipperonie says, "Incentivizes giving tells to lies and whatnot rather than being flawless 24/7."

Kinaed states, "Like 'emote /self smiles mysteriously at /temi. isdom: pass] She has a look of hatred in her eye. isdom: Fail] She seems pleasant." Anyone observing gets Kinaed smiles mysteriously at Temi. Depending on if you pass or fail, you get the next bit."

Anonymous states, "One results in another smile"

Anonymous says, "The othe rin an immediate stabbing"

Deedee states, "I do wish movement within rooms worked better"

Kinaed states, "Like 'emote /self smiles mysteriously at /temi. [Wisdom: pass] She has a look of hatred in her eye. [Wisdom: Fail] She seems pleasant." Anyone observing gets Kinaed smiles mysteriously at Temi. Depending on if you pass or fail, you get the next bit."

Trogdor wonders, "Https://ti-legacy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2514"

Kinaed says, "Fixing my code-eaten stuff"

Kinaed states, "Anyway, thanks Trogdor! It's an intriguing idea."

Kinaed says, "I'd love to have a read and see what people think."

Kipperonie says, "I feel like so long as it's in the hands of the roleplayer on the defensive, it encourages play to lose. Which may increase positive reactions to failure."

Temi nods in agreement with Kipperonie.

Deedee states, "I think I'd rather make use of such in STs than everyday RP"

Deedee states, "But going to read over the proposal"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Kinaed states, "Yeah, the downside is that it may not add much and may be a bit of a pain in the rump to code."

Kinaed states, "I mean, bang for buck given limited resources."

Kinaed asks, "Okay, anything else we want to discuss?"

Deedee wonders, "Wasn't in-emote hemotes supposed to become a thing?"

Temi says, "Another version of hemote with a selectable stat check might not be so bad. Building in success and failure type things, or an exchange of back and forth, is more difficult code"

Kinaed says to Deedee, "It's on the list, yep"

Leta says to Deedee, "Yes, we have a spec for that"

Trogdor states, "Point of clarification, there is an infinite number of zeros and ones. you just need time to organize them."

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Temi states to trogdor, "Yep, time is the limited resource. Time multiplied by coders."

Violet states, "Stat-specific hemotes would be cool"

Kinaed claims, "I think so much of our game is based on how well we manipulate text and allow players to manipulate it for effect though, that it has merit to have everything from hemotes to potentially skill checks in them."

Salem claims, "I can program that, but it will be clunky at the start."

MUDnoob says, "Time * (Coders + Coffee), surely. :D"

Kinaed says, "Anyway, whether the idea succeeds or fails, thank you for submitting it. I'm definitely interested to hear more."

Kinaed nods at Salem.

Trogdor claims, "Yeah, it just doesn't seem fair that i can use my amazingly verbosity skills to manipulate all those around me so i wanted to level the playing field /s"

Kinaed claims to MUDnoob, "Minus real life obligations. :)"

Salem claims, "Make that Hot cocas. don't like coffee. It's too bitter. XD"

Temi claims, "Coffee or more appealing coffee-substitute."

MUDnoob says, "Note to self, when needing to butter up Salem, go with hot cocoa. :D"

Kinaed states, "I'm really into something called "Monks Chai" that's pretty popular in Melbourne."

Jasmine says, "Just in the post as suggested, it seems like fishing for information in a moderately out of character way"

Jasmine says, "I am not against Kinaed's interpretation of it however"

Kinaed claims to Jasmine, "Please do post on the forum post your thoughts about it."

Kinaed states, "It'll be important for staff to have a well rounded view of player needs and expectations when we're considering these things."

Deedee states, "If there's no other topics, I wouldn't mind bringing up my own code suggestion"

Jasmine says, "I'm not very 'for' players telling me what my characters thinks with the exception of hard-coded "canon" things such as thoughts actively being in my character's head via magic, that I can then react to Icly"

Trogdor claims, "Yeah, and bear in mind i won't be offended if you think it's a terriable idea, i promise"

Kinaed states, "For my part, I'm adding a notation in Staff Talking Points for our next meeting to make sure we review and discuss it"

Trogdor exclaims, "Most of my ideas are terriable, that's why i keep spewing them out! "

Temi grins.

Jasmine says, "I don't think its horrible, I just see a lot of players in TTRPGs using insight poorly or relying too heavily on it rather than roleplaying. I think adding in something like that might lead to less actual roleplaying and in character actions and also lead to some sticky situations, if it is inflicted upon you, rather than you putting it out into the world a la kinaed's suggestion"

Kinaed says, "It's important to throw ideas into the crucible for people to innovate and hash out :)"

Kinaed states, "They get better with more hands involved."

Kinaed says, "Okay, it is 45 minutes into our hour and we are out of topics."

Jasmine states to Kinaed, "Deedee had a topic if there's time"

Kinaed pontificates, "We can either talk about the weather, talk about things people feel like, or we can wra- ooo, yes!"

Kinaed claims to Deedee, "Would you introduce your topic? Sorry, I didn't write it down."

Kinaed declares to Jasmine, "Thank you!"

Deedee states, "Sorry I haven't typed it up, but also a code suggestion"

Deedee claims, "Get/put from nested containers"

Kinaed states, "I can be patient :)"

Kinaed questions, "Example of how it might work?"

Temi muses, "I think you may have posted on the forums?"

Deedee claims, "Get (object) container1 container2"

Deedee states, "I did, yes"

Temi nods.

Kinaed states, "Rumor has it that nested container code is pretty yucky, just a note. It may be a hard implementation."

Trogdor claims, "Oof, been a while but that is a tricky one to code iirc"

Temi claims, "And... not opposed to it, but.. I don't know if the code is worth it."

MUDnoob questions, "Http://ti-legacy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2511"

MUDnoob states, "There's the forum post"

Kinaed says to MUDnoob, "Thanks :)"

Deedee says, "That's the one, thanks noob"

Salem muses, "That would include a look in container container, I assume?"

Deedee claims, "Well, the rummage command currently does nested things"

Temi says, "It probably would require some fairly involved code"

Trogdor states, "Holy crap, til about rummage"

Salem claims, "It's probably not that difficult. Depends on the number of layers that we will allow."

Kinaed nods.

Trogdor rummages through the room and the containers in it, but can't seem to find what he's looking for. [Rummage]

Kinaed muses, "Any other favorite commands that people want to share with one another while I take notes on the things people are requesting?"

Violet questions, "Rummage is amazing. Maybe only two levels of containers? like a container inside a container, but not more than that?"

Deedee claims, "That's a fair compromise for me."

Salem claims, "We can do a recursive approach, but that will eat our stack room for Breakfast. XD"

Trogdor claims, "I favor burn"

MUDnoob says, "Yeah. I had a quiet internal squee when I found out about coded Pass the Pigs/Pigsty :D"

Temi grins at MUDnoob.

Anonymous wonders, "What's pass the pigs?"

Temi says, "That's always been a fun one"

Temi claims to Anonymous, "Pigsty"

MUDnoob claims, "Help Pigsty"

Kinaed states, "I'm putting it on staff talking points because it sounds like there may be a few dimensions to this to discuss."

Kinaed says, "Okay, we have ten minutes until the top of the hour."

Kinaed queries, "May I ask, has anyone used Invite recently that allowed a scene to happen that otherwise might not have?"

Deedee claims, "I guess one favorite command isn't exactly a command, but command stacking can be quite useful"

Jasmine states, "I had one recently that saved me a lot of travel"

Trogdor states, "Happened last night for me"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

MUDnoob muses, "Command stacking?"

Kinaed asks, "Any other tip or trick commands people might want to share with one another?"

Deedee claims, "Command1 || command2 will do both together"

MUDnoob states, "OH MY."

Kinaed states, "My big one for today is that you can help match or cnote match to find strings."

Dreams states, "Command stacking with alias has saved me a lot of time when working with gardens, etc, while alone."

Trogdor states, "But they will be executed immediatly after another, so if there is a wait then it won't work"

Temi nods at trogdor.

Kinaed claims, "We have another topic popping up :)"

Violet trails off, "I learned about 'remember search <name>' this week. I've been playing TI for over a decade..."

Violet is a bit of a dumb dumb.

Kinaed asks of Sparkles, "Would you like to open your topic? :)"

Temi claims, "You can also use alias to make your own commands, including with stacking."

Kinaed states to Violet, "Oh cool."

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Kinaed finishes abruptly, "That's how I invite everyone to OOC Chat - with an alias 'tell all <message>'"

Dreams says to Temi, "Yeah, that's what I'm talking about."

Deedee claims, "I remember whet remember let you remember people's full desc. that was nice"

Kinaed claims, "You can still copy/paste a person's desc right in if you want."

Dreams says, "Technically, you probably still could, but y... yes, that."

Deedee says, "True."

Temi nods.

Deedee claims, "Would have to remove all the linebreaks though"

Kinaed claims, "We found people 'automatically knowing' when someone was disguised because of it, if I recall correctly, which is why it was removed."

Temi claims, "The problem was that it would look up their current desc and give access to changes."

Temi nods.

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Deedee states, "Yeah, I understand why it was removed"

Sparkles queries, "Speaking of RP oppurtunities and something mentioned on Visnet earlier ... sometimes the Locale of the Day is somewhere behind a 'pay wall' so to speak. I know the Bluebird is one of those. Would there be any thought/feelings about people being able to 'prepay' for folks to come in?"

MUDnoob mutters about pushy NPCs needing bribes.

Deedee states, "Hm"

Temi says, "My initial thought was that I'm not sure immediately how the code would work."

Deedee states, "There's back ways into the bluebird"

Ghed nods at Deedee.

Kinaed states, "Interesting. We can also ask staff to move the locale of the day if it chooses places that are behind 'paywalls' or something."

Ghed states, "There's often a side way"

Violet claims, "Sometimes the RP locales are also pretty inaccessible by way of being in Southside or being in Foreign Quarters w/ low race relations"

Deedee states, "My concern is"

Kinaed states, "I mean, if the locale chooses something weird like the bottom of the ocean, you can just ask a staff member to change it."

Temi claims, "It should only choose public locations"

Sparkles states, "Party in Atlantis is what I heard."

Kinaed says, "I do like it being pretty random to get people to 'see the world' so to speak though"

Temi trails off, "And interestingly... this one was one of the most popular in a while"

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Sparkles says, "Just a thought, really."

Deedee says, "Allowing bypass of that would be one-sided, I don't think it's good to give everyone a free pass to southside locations just because of a locale thing for example"

Kinaed nods at Sparkles.

Kinaed states, "A valid one, thank you for raising it :)"

Temi claims, "You could leave money out front for people to use as bribes"

Temi claims, "Though, people could just take your bribes."

Trogdor wonders, "Woulnd't grouping with them allow them through?"

Temi nods at trogdor.

Deedee says, "Yes"

Trogdor wonders, "Similar to xblock?"

Temi says, "I think the question was more about allowing more unaccompanied people in, that you weren't expecting"

Kinaed states, "But if a daily locale does look a bit... harsh for some reason - do ask a staff member about it. In the instance that it's super popular, we might say no, but if it's not working for the pbase at large, or there's a major concern, it's a single command for us to fix and not a problem. I'll leave it to staff judgment as to if they think it's appropriate to change."

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Kinaed nods at trogdor.

Dreams states, "I might... this might not be a popular opinion, but gathering the IP and QP for RPing at the locale is an OOC thing. Getting in is an IC thing. I don't think there should be coded bypass because of the locale - if anything, getting in generates RP."

Trogdor says, "My biggest frustration as a newer newb was when it was at a location i couldn't travel to"

Kinaed finishes abruptly, "It's pretty easy to get around the Bluebird's block - the block isn't hardcore, just to make the point that it's an establishment for a certain type of clientele"

Kinaed nods at trogdor.

Dreams claims, "By finding someone who can get you in."

Kinaed nods at Dreams.

Kipperonie states, "Advice: Disguises and ask people about how to get into places."

Ghed nods at Dreams.

Kipperonie says, "There are some ways to get into places that might not seem obvious at first."

Kipperonie says, "Disguises, I believe, allow you southside as well."

Kinaed says, "We made it to the top of the hour! I want to say a special thanks to everyone who participated in OOC Chat today. It's also nice to see some new faces."

Kipperonie says, "Don't be afraid of slumming it as your noble! Unless you flash some gold."

Kinaed states, "I hope you enjoy your RP and to see everyone next week, same time and place. :)"

• Information