Log of OOC Meeting: 10-2-21

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Sparkles

Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:02 am

Temi wonders, "So, our agenda for today is 1) staff updates, 2) player heartbeat, and 3) player topics. Does anyone have any topics to get on the list at this point?"

Wednesday shakes her head nope, no topics from her.

Trajen claims, "I could write up just a quick idea to batter around."

Temi says, "Happy to hear about your idea, sure, I'll put you down."

Temi claims, "Alright, well, if anyone else remembers a topic they had in mind, please just let me know and I'll get it on the list."

Temi declaims, "So, I'll start with staff updates, which looks like just me for the time being!"

Wednesday finishes her note.

Temi states, "I have just finished up the September plot of the historical raffle and passed out all the prizes. I hope people enjoyed hunting down tickets and those who won are liking their prizes."

Flower states, "Thank you. "

Temi claims, "So, that plot is all wrapped up now. Additionally, new craft this week is another liquid cologne filling out the list back down through the lower levels - masculine cologne this week."

Temi says, "And I completed another skill mini-quest, this pair here, which works for either Farin or Vavardi."

Temi points at a Farin man fighting with a Vavardi woman.

Jasmine says, "Yesss finally some man smells for the manly men"

Anonymous says, "You waht"

Temi asks of Anonymous, "Hm?"

Trajen says, "Lol. Those are cool too."

Wednesday says, "Or manly smells for my manly woman. *preen*"

Deedee says, "20 on the man."

Temi grins.

Temi states, "I suppose I didn't give an option for helping knock out either one. It's a language thing."

Deedee says, "Oh, darn."

Sparkles claims, "Lithmore: Where violence is always an option."

Temi claims, "I don't have prepped updates from anyone else, but I know RL has been crazy for a number of our folks, but I hear Salem is making some excellent progress on refactoring stuff."

Wednesday muses, "Are there yuck smelling things that we can dump on other people too?"

Cat claims, "Demons on wendesies and thursdies."

Deedee claims, "You can wield manure and throw it."

Trajen says, "Oh gosh lol"

Wednesday high fives.

Temi says to Wednesday, "There is the beastly scent for animals as well."

Wednesday states to Temi, "We can scent our pets? Now that's interesting."

Temi wonders, "Any questions on any of that from anyone?"

Temi claims, "I mean, for keeping animals from attacking you."

Wednesday states, "Oh, I was thinking of primping my Pomeranian."

Deedee says, "There's no reason you can't apply perfume to an animal though"

Temi states, "Well, I think your pomeranian could wear any perfume you like, really."

Jasmine says, "Pets and retainers can use anything with an @apply or @use yeah"

Deedee states, "Just remember to order them to sit first or they might might you"

Deedee says, "Might bite*"

Wednesday says, "Nice."

Jasmine queries, "OH does the beastly musk work like the animal scent clump to keep them attacking?"

Deedee claims, "No"

Jasmine states, "I thought it was just a crappy lower-level musk lotion for no reason duplicate"

Ghed says, "Hey sorry sorry"

Ghed pulls closed his cloak, hiding his garments.

Temi asks of Ghed, "Ah, here's Ghed! Want to give your update?"

Trajen gasps as Ghed arrives

Ghed states, "Did that Loryth ST and some plots about it and the Famine aftermath. Also some fixes and requests."

Temi states, "Yeah, there's a some regular lines of musk stuff, but there's also the beastly musk thing which they should react to."

Temi nods at Ghed.

Temi claims, "Yeah, Ghed has been quite busy, it seems."

Temi queries, "Okay, player heartbeat! How has RP been this week, folks?"

Trajen states, "Great. Very intersting and unpredictable lol"

Cat claims, "I was barely there. Busy week, but I got some good scenes."

Zarif says, "Satisfactory. Just kiddin' it was awesome and thank you to all those who have RP'd with me while I break this character in"

Wednesday states, "Good, especially pre-scheduled RP. Not a lot of people online when I log in usually though. Timezone."

Jasmine says, "Not a lot of time to play but what I've gotten to has been fun"

Pookstall exclaims, "I've also been pretty busy. Good seeing what people I have though!"

Sparkles says, "Had some interesting scenes this week. I've been happy to see some new faces."

Deedee states, "Was a pretty full week"

Ghed declaims, "We had Temi's raffle!"

Temi claims, "Anything bothering anyone that staff ought to know about? What I'm hearing is pretty positive."

Temi nods in agreement with Ghed.

Wednesday states, "Nothing from my side."

Flower claims, "I'm good. "

Trajen says, "I don't know of anything"

Deedee states, "The project list it getting too spammy. I posted a note on the ideas board about that"

Temi nods.

Jasmine claims, "The only thing I'd bring up is that someone bumped a forum post a while ago about technology and crossbows were listed as 'not valid technology' but we totally have crossbows as a craft, but that's the only thing, really"

Temi says, "Yeah, I think that deserves a fix, but not sure how high priority, and it will have to wait for the refactor anyway."

Ghed trails off, "It has historical value... maybe, but I hearbya"

Ghed says, "Hear ya"

Temi nods at Jasmine.

Temi claims, "That's one of the new things we've actually introduced over the course of play."

Temi says, "They weren't valid probably when the post came in. I don't remember seeing that post specifically though. Feel free to post a not e on that or link it for us"

Cat sits down and rests.

Sparkles asks, "Maybe for projects it can be like plots? List the most recent by default and then project list all for older things?"

Temi nods at Sparkles.

Temi states, "I think that's what the suggestion was."

Temi says, "Not to get rid of the old ones, but just to not pollute the default list with them."

Temi asks, "Anything else anyone wants to bring up, or should we move on to topics?"

Ghed states, "It is kinda long"

Trajen sits down and rests.

Temi asks, "Okay, Trajen! You had an idea for us?"

Trajen says OOCly, "Did that show anything?"

Wednesday says OOCly, "Nope"

Temi says, "Afraid not."

Trajen claims, "Sorry. something I'm typing is doing something else. I don't have strange characters in it though."

Temi asks, "Hrm. Curly quotes maybe, if you copied from a word processor?"

Trajen states, "Ok, the idea in a nutshell is that players could use the Job List as an market for scene prompts. That's basically it."

Temi nods.

Deedee wonders, "How do you mean?"

Wednesday claims, "Sounds intriguing."

Temi states, "Definitely possible, I imagine. I've seen some things that are tasks that a person could come do for you, more as a scene than necessarily a product to buy"

Ghed peers at Trajen

Jasmine states, "That might be better done with just a ping on the ooc channel or visnet, or a pboard to an appropriate player if you want to set something up"

Wednesday says, "I just forget the job lists exist."

Trajen trails off, "P1 posts they 'd like a scene where... and P2 sees it and likes the idea so agrees"

Jasmine states, "The job listing is totally IC, I'd rather keep it IC and have any OOC reachouts be separate"

Pookstall says, "I have had a cat in my stable that I think I used jobs to have someone come in and get rid of it."

Sparkles states, "We do have Pvents, RP hooks, and Invite as well."

Trajen says, "Ok, that sounds good about keeping it IC."

Jasmine claims, "There's nothing stopping you from saying on ooc 'anyone want a scene' or using notify rp to ping a location, I have done that and it was pretty well received"

Temi claims, "Using it as OOCly arranging a planned scene, rather bringing someone in for something ICly might be problematic though, yeah"

Deedee muses, "Did they replace it with a rat, Pook?"

Wednesday claims, "Oh, I have to try notify RP too."

Pookstall exclaims, "Nope! All nice and tidy for at least a while"

Deedee says, "Missed opportunity."

Jasmine claims, "Otherwise if you had a specific RP hook for a specific player, sending a pboard or a tell might work, though I admit I personally do not like when people send a tell to scene when they could just send an IC messenger"

Temi says, "I've seen general boards used as well to look for characters to fill a certain role or idea, and I think we're okay with that"

Jasmine claims, "In my experience the few times someone's sent a tell to set up a scene, they didn't have an IC reason to actually talk to me and thus the entire weight of 'why am i talking to this person' was on me and it was highly unenjoyable"

Trajen nods. "Thanks for the feedback."

Zarif claims, "Wow, notify rp looks awesome"

Zarif states, "I'm going to be spamming that, i'm sure"

Temi claims, "Any other thoughts for that? Or I did get a second person on the list."

Deedee states, "If you're looking for someone from a guild, notify guild is handy too"

Deedee says, "Faster than messengers"

Temi nods in agreement.

Temi asks, "Alright, Sparkles! You had a topic for us?"

Sparkles states, "So, this is a bit of a lengthy topic. However, it is something that has been brought up as an IC concern that I am beginning to feel might need some OOC consideration. And that's the support of non-mercantile RP. "

Deedee muses, "How do you mean?"

Wednesday is curious too.

Flower has mostly non mercantile rp..

Wednesday states to Flower, "Me too."

Deedee nods.

Sparkles states, "At the point that we changed from the 'purchase silver' set up to assets, something that was kind of lost was the ability for people who have roles/jobs that are service based or largely in the realm of RP rather than code supported to earn silver. Particularly if they are a newer player without a backlog of RPXP."

Jasmine says, "Ah, yeah I have noticed that no one really wants to pay anyone for stuff that would realistically be paid for, unless they're getting a tangible item, and even then they don't really like to pay if it's not at a shop"

Jasmine states, "It's almost impossible to get a banal job 'serving' a richer PC as a freeman and actually make money"

Temi says, "We do still have roster jobs still as well."

Wednesday queries, "Are people not comfortable asking for jobs?"

Wednesday questions, "Or is it that people with money aren't offering?"

Jasmine states, "Especially given that assets were changed from being able to be bought from XP to silver only, it mean that as a freeman if you don't pick a good asset you're screwed"

Jasmine says, "Since freemen can only purchase wealth a single time in chargen"

Pookstall states, "I find people generally aren't willing to ask me for any sort of jobs or to work things out with people. I don't think I've ever turned anyone down for anything"

Anonymous states, "There's also that people generally don't need others to do things for them"

Deedee states, "I don't know. I've hired people since the change. They generally don't stick around too long though"

Anonymous says, "Except make something"

Zarif says, "Oh, well i have another use case. I'm a member of the holy order, an overly zealous one some may say. I don't really see my character IC having assets, as he has given his life to the order and "the order will provide""

Jasmine claims, "In my RP as a freemen I have attempted to do basic services for people and they aren't interested when they learn they want to pay"

Wednesday states, "Pookstall's experience is like mine. I've hired a lot, both short term and long term, albeit not recently on this character. Doesn't seem hard. Just something for people to think about doing or asking for."

Jasmine claims to Zarif, "In that instance you should have an asset based on piety to represent 'the order providing'"

Jasmine states, "Though I believe the Order is one of the only guilds to actually pay a wage to their members"

Zarif says, "I asked about that, was told I should purchase assets :P"

Pookstall says, "I do know I don't have enough time to be around frequently offering these sorts of things, but always happy to arrange for RP to sponsor all sorts of things or hire on for jobs. I totally have servants' quarters that never get used."

Anonymous claims, "Physicians pays it smembers"

Jasmine says, "But yeah largely the economy is based solely around assets and the ooc attitude I see is if your character does odd jobs, you should have an asset to represent that and maybe occasionally a player will pay you, but the expectation is you have either an asset or a player store"

Deedee claims, "Setting up pay is up to the GL though"

Wimpled claims, "I think it can be hit or miss, Wednesday. I have had job postings up with no takers, sometimes people's ideas don't match the market, so to speak. "

Temi states, "Yeah, having something guild-related for your base asset is totally reasonable, or a stipend from family or whatnot. It doesn't have to be a job or a real asset. And guilds are definitely encouraged to use their funds appropriately to support their guild. Sometimes that means pay, for guilds that are doing stuff for the guild ICly."

Wednesday claims, "I don't think assets should cover wages in general. In fact, I think any money system we have where people don't have to do anything for it is problematic because it doesn't generate IC activity."

Temi claims, "Whereas for guilds like the merchants, they don't have a big issue making money from the IC economy, selling items."

Wednesday nods at Temi.

Deedee claims, "I think the asset system makes sense for roster jobs when you're not in a guild"

Zarif states, "Counter point, doing a job for money in IC sounds tedious to me, i already have a real one i don't want a second one :P"

Temi grins.

Temi says, "Ideally the sort of job you do ICly will be something that -is- fun."

Sparkles claims, "I know for example, it was and to my understanding, remains a rather frequent concern and conversation in the Troupe. And while yes 'buy assets for your Guild members' is a legit option, it kind of places all the onus on existing players to find ways to kind of support newer players existing and thriving. And assets are a fairly expensive investment into a new player who may or may not stick around."

Temi states, "And we are providing the basic level 1 asset for people that want to cover the bare minimum off-grid."

Zarif claims, "I think that limits your character, then"

Wednesday claims, "Maybe, Deedee, but if I do that, then I might not do anything IC around it or seek to improve it, etc."

Jasmine says, "I do feel like changing the assets from being able to be purchased for xp to silver-only really only damages new players"

Jasmine claims, "Like the assets are already hard enough to figure out but now you're way more limited"

Zarif states, "Welllll i'm a new player and I don't mind it"

Anonymous claims, "I feel like the price of assets, since they cost silver onw, should be DRASTICALLY reduced"

Wednesday says, "There was always an onus on existing players to help support new players. One group is the haves, the other is the have nots. It's normal for old nobles to hire servants, for example. "

Anonymous says, "Bec ause 15,000 silver for an asset is nuts"

Anonymous states, "And I say that as a rich boy"

Deedee claims, "They're often cheaper if you buy from the marketplace"

Zarif says, "It it's a little bit of a rails situation, it is a little bit of a rails situation, but i'm learning the society including "high society", i don't think i should be able to, as a new player, be mega rich in the game, tbh"

Jasmine says, "If the marketplace had a little more staff curation with cheaper-than-creating-new cost I think it would work better"

Ghed hmmm

Temi says, "The idea is for assets to be a significant investment, not something everyone is expected to fill up. But I have noticed that they seem to be the only option a lot of people want to think about, which is not the intent"

Jasmine says, "The few times I went with this character at the beginning there were NO freeman assets"

Ghed says, "I'll take a look"

Ghed nods at Jasmine.

Wednesday states, "In a perfect world, I'd give people starting silver and no assets, then tell people find a way to make money ICly so everyone is on equal footing and needs to do something IC that generates some interaction, and money matters."

Deedee claims, "Yeah, would be nice if more attention was paid to the marketplace, like the used houses board"

Wednesday nods.

Temi claims, "I think the asset market has definitely not gotten a lot of love, and so it's been hard for us to invest time into it. Probably a self-fulfilling prophecy to some extent."

Jasmine states, "Given that there is no way to generate silver in the game other than assets, and being a merchant, with MAYBE an odd job if it comes up rarely, assets end up being incredibly important to how your player experience is"

Ghed asks of Wednesday, "Wouldm't that make it hard for nobles and gentries to be naturally economically superior?"

Ghed states, "Anyhow it's moot"

Wednesday states to Ghed, "Not if they had a reasonable amount of starting silver to back up who they are."

Ghed claims to Jasmine, "But you can male silver from other people"

Wednesday claims, "I just don't like the ongoing thing."

Ghed nods at Wednesday.

Jasmine states, "But in my experience with a very foragey character previously, most people won't reach out to stat jobs, they'll just do it themselves"

Sparkles states, "My point is you can create plenty of RP and interaction without it neccessarily generating cash, that's kind of the point."

Ghed nods at Jasmine.

Wednesday says, "Yeah, a lot of people don't like relying on other people for anything at all, so will try to learn stuff to avoid that reliance."

Sparkles states, "And while it doesn't affect me, I can see it being a frequent concern for others."

Jasmine states, "And most people don't want to pay someone for non-merchant crafts since they, too, can just do it themselves. Even the art skill was largely useless unless given as a gift"

Jasmine states, "Which was a shame as I liked making paintings and statues"

Cat asks, "Even the money merchant's make come from Assets. just the assets of other people. We don't uave a way to gain silver into the system, except for assets, i think. So are we disscussing adding more ways to gain koney or are we talking redistrubition?"

Trajen claims, "It's not too hard to convert QP for cash, if a person is pretty active"

Pookstall says, "I totally view the art skill as more the skill in the descriptions than actually making the stuff."

Jasmine claims, "Sparkle's issue was bringing up non-mercantile RP as in doing jobs that might or might not generate silver, I think, and someone else brought up removing assets, which was not the topic, I think."

Temi nods.

Jasmine claims, "I am very pro-asset, I think it removes tedious things like people spam-selling an NPC money, but I think they should be easier for new players to access and more user-friendly"

Temi states, "People getting money for other sort of interactions is totally something we view as desirable"

Temi claims, "But not sure how we might encourage that."

Zarif claims, "Newbie with no assets, and i agree with jasmine"

Wednesday says, "If all players start with a certain amount of money, then there's money entering the system with new players. We also don't have a lot of sinks and money is non-mandatory for survival."

Deedee muses, "You should have received one free asset?"

Jasmine claims, "It also makes TI's economy mostly unique, but the player attitude re: making it rain on other people isn't very common casually even if it makes sense ICly"

Zarif claims, "Yes, sorry, i mean outside the free asset, to clarify :-)"

Deedee nods.

Jasmine says, "The free asset usually sucks really badly, and a new player might not realize until after their cyan period"

Wednesday says, "Money hasn't been a motivator for any of my characters for literally OOC years."

Sparkles states, "We have a lot of ways for money to leave the system but not a lot to add to it."

Jasmine claims, "Money is less important for established players who know how to game the system"

Ghed states, "People are usually too generous about money"

Wednesday says, "Which doesn't reflect how money should operate. And it's because it's dirt easy to get and it's not necessary."

Deedee claims, "There's very few functional items people really need"

Deedee claims, "Most crafts are just props"

Ghed claims, "I remember trying to charge 1 gold per combat lesson on my champion fighter and I got weird looks"

Ghed nods at Deedee.

Trajen queries, "What the crap? lol"

Zarif says, "I think there should be an incentive for players who hand out money to other players, for instance XP or if a certain threshold is reached a QP (whatever staff thinks is balanced, obviously) that way people who want to RP for jobs can do so and those of us don't want to can maintain our humble assets"

Anonymous claims, "And when they do need functional items, its usually ONE item and then they're set forever."

Deedee nods.

Ghed nods at Anonymous.

Wednesday states, "Back in the day, I used to charge 50 gold for a combat lesson and no one cared because people earned money along with RPxp, so it was this constant thing where everyone had money."

Temi says to Ghed, "Probably way more benefit than 3-4 lessons in the training hall too"

Wednesday nods at Zarif.

Ghed says to Temi, "Ayup"

Jasmine states, "Wednesday that sounds like a very bad system and not what we should be aiming for"

Wednesday states to Zarif, "There is incentive - it gives you prestige points, which increases your IP as well as your reputation."

Anonymous claims, "That only works with the PAY command"

Ghed says, "Fifty gold holy shit"

Anonymous says, "And only gives 1 point of prestige"

Anonymous states, "I still maintain that prestige is impossible for non-orderites and non-nobles to maintain"

Anonymous is stubborn to a fault.

Wednesday says, "Depending on how much goes out of your account, it gives 1 point per 200 silver ro something like that."

Zarif says, "Huh, sheesh this game has a lot of mechanics behind, daaaaaaaaamn"

Jasmine states, "I think that since this is largely an ooc player issue and not a system issue, maybe players can recommend other players for paying them and just as a community we can try to make offers to characters for employment, if it is thematic"

Temi grins at Zarif.

Deedee states, "Yeah, as a non-noble, I don't have much interest in doing anything with the prestige system"

Temi nods at Jasmine.

Wimpled has left the game.

Cat says, "We are getting off topic."

Deedee says, "True."

Temi says, "Anyone have any ideas on things we could do about it? Or we could wrap up on this topic."

Deedee states, "But paying people does tie in to the topic"

Wednesday says, "I think it is a system issue. I think assets are causing inactivity on grid around money. People don't ask because they're used to their asset providing. People don't give because they think assets provide. And there's no stress to have money because it doesn't do very much except in specific circumstances or for convenience."

Cat muses, "So... Star wanted to remind us to pay attention to the little guys and hire some people? Or was there more?"

Deedee claims, "And if the prestige system was more accessible, it might help"

Jasmine says, "Maybe utilize the job list a bit more, be open to having your snooty gentry hire freemen, etc"

Wednesday claims, "It'd be good if that were more visible. I get reminders to RP with people, maybe it'd be good to get a reminder to check the job board, and maybe my IC guild boards."

Ghed states, "Part of my motivation for the famine plot was to thematically drain the wealth of the pbase a little"

Jasmine says, "In my experience in the sister game where there were no assets and you just... got money based on your lifestyle, I noticed that people were a lot more free with their money than over here, so its definitely culture-based"

Ghed nods at Jasmine.

Jasmine says, "I feel like if assets were easier for new players to get and didn't feel like you were locked into bad choices/ more accessible to upgrade/shift around as your character grows, maybe people would feel more confident spending money"

Wednesday states, "I'll certainly remember to try to hire people to do some jobs in the coming week. See how ti goes. I'll try a few different methods."

Anonymous claims, "The sister game also has absolutely MASSIVE inflation going on, with an enormous wealth gap between established players and new ones."

Anonymous claims, "If that matters."

Jasmine says, "Since there are, in fact, MANY silver sinks, but only when you're starting out/establishing yourself"

Ghed states, "Culturally people are too forgiving of stuff like nobles who forage"

Pookstall says, "Ew, no. Not touching the dirt."

Ghed states, "So the incentive to hire is lessened"

Ghed smiles at Pookstall.

Jasmine claims, "I do agree with that"

Anonymous says, "Nobles who forage? Don't speak such nonsense."

Trajen looks around like he hasn't been in the Alm's House

Zarif claims, "Sounds like witchery"

Sparkles says, "I mean, that covers a lot of behaviors."

Pookstall says, "Noble foraging is standing by impatiently while the servants scamper about."

Temi states, "So I think that's separate suggestions to make money easier to get, or harder."

Ghed nods at Pookstall.

Temi muses, "Anyone have any last minute things they want to bring up as we get close to the end?"

Temi says, "I think we've got a Yule faire tomorrow with a chance to spend some of that hard-won money."

Wednesday says, "Nothing here. Was a fun conversation."

Zarif states, "Well, for new folk it's already overwhelming (in a good, 'wow, lots to do here way, not a negative way') with the amount of things you can do, i haven't looked at the job board even though as a newbie i probably should have"

Cat states, "I think people should play how they want to play. No one has fun if we start criticising playstyles and especially nobles have lots of stress about that."

Ghed claims, "Remember that wearing the same outfit for years is lame"

Deedee coughs.

Anonymous coughs in old clothing.

Ghed says, "Maybe I should put an expiry date on EVERYTHING"

Jasmine claims, "Yeah man that's freeman shit"

Deedee states, "I think Az was considering that"

Jasmine states, "You gentry should be ashamed"

Zarif says, "I'll be honest, i'm surprised food lasts forever"

Anonymous says, "I dont have enough wardrobes to fit all that stuff."

Ghed nods at Zarif.

Ghed trails off, "Saddles, leather armor, linen, food..."

Ghed cackles

Zarif claims, "I think that would go a long way, as far as sinks go, as well as different 'qualities' of food having different mechanical effects"

Ghed states, "Trash your old outfits and prove you're the best by buying new stuff in front of others"

Jasmine states, "The different drugs/medicines do actually affect your stats"

Jasmine states, "Hye min/maxers get into drugs and get on my level"

Temi states, "Different qualities of food do have different returns on HP too"

Anonymous claims, "They do affect yoru stats"

Deedee says, "Magery also affects stats"

Ghed claims, "Quality of food DOES matter"

Trajen states, "One of my chars is going to have a bunch of health problems in a few more months."

Jasmine states, "Crappy food might also get you sick"

Zarif claims, "A little more robust than just HP, since one of my characters doesn't really do much combat"

Zarif muses, "Unless there is more that food affects than HP and MV?"

Temi states, "Alright, something to keep in mind. Let's go ahead and wrap up"

Wednesday declares, "Thanks for the chat!"

Zarif says, "But i could talk mechanics about games forever :-("

Sparkles states, "Actually, an ability to 'consign' food rather than junk it would be a big help."

Ghed pats pats Zarid

Ghed zarif

Temi declares, "Enjoy the RP all!"

Jasmine claims, "Now that junk might put it in the sewer, I do wish we had an Ic incernator"

Ghed waves.

Deedee says, "I'd like salvage to work on food"

Ghed pontificates, "Post rumors!!!!"

• Information