June 12th Saturday Meeting

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

sippycup
Discord Handle: sippycup

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:29 pm

Kinaed claims, "A reminder of the OOC Chat Pact: Regardless of what we discuss, we understand and truly believe that everyone on TI does the best they can, given what they know at the time, their skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand. We will be respectful of this and each other at all times."
Temi gives a little cage with iron bars under a striped canvas big-top to Zara.
Zara waves.
emote bows
Kinaed says, "Today's Agenda is:
- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics
Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today? If you register a topic, please pre-write it so you're ready to present it when called upon."
Lewllyn bows
Kinaed says, "No topics? :) Okay. If anyone thinks of anything, please send me a tell. "
Kinaed says, "To kick off Staff Updates, last week I logged in and handled a few minor requests. Wasn't super busy for me. Paying some bills for TI this week."
Kinaed claims, "My upcoming focus is on my Murder Mystery Dinner plot that I'll be running towards the end of July. If you're interested in playing an NPC for the event, please let me know."
Temi drops a wealthy patron demanding entertainment.
Kinaed trails off, "That's it for me..."
Kinaed claims to Eos, "That's me! Your turn."
Kinaed has transferred Ikeala. [OOC]
Temi gives a little cage with iron bars under a striped canvas big-top to Ikeala.
SanoEos states, "I prepared the plot this week with its area and all the npcs."
SanoEos exclaims, "That's all!"
Kinaed cheers.
Kinaed states, "One line for a big, awesome piece of work. Thank you :)"
Kinaed claims to Temi, "You're up :) Salem is afk :)"
Salem has returned from AFK.
Temi says, "Alright! No big progress this week, and no new craft, I'm afraid, but I did create some new troub-focused skill mini-quests, as you can see with this fellow here."
Temi gestures over at a wealthy patron demanding entertainment.
Kinaed smiles.
Temi claims, "Other than that, mainly plots and helping Eos with her circus."
Kinaed says to Temi, "Thanks! :) Excited to see the mini-skill quests going into game."
Kinaed smiles.
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Temi nods at Kinaed.
Kinaed claims to Salem, "Your turn :)"
Salem states, "I had personal problems this week, but I also did a little coding."
Kinaed states to Salem, "I hope everything's okay. Glad to hear the programming is progressing :)"
Kinaed says, "Thank you all for your good work :)"
Kinaed wonders, "Next up - Player Heartbeat. How was the game this week, folks?"
Lewllyn states, "Great. Everyone's nice/helpful"
Kinaed smiles.
Kitty is doing fine, as far as RP goes.
Kinaed claims, "I hope that continues :) And that the RP remains good."
Ikeala says, "I had some interesting RP this week."
Kinaed claims to Ikeala, "That's encouraging :)"
A gust of wind picks up and swirls around Eos, and when it settles, she is gone. [OOC]
Kinaed questions, "Anyone else? Anything shitting anyone that they want staff to know about?"
Zara just returned from a break
Kinaed says, "It's okay to re-raise things that haven't been resolved."
Zara was idle due to RL issues
Anonymous says, "The antelopes still don't do anything when you fight them *grumble*"
Kinaed comforts Zara.
Zara hopes to jump back into RP
Kinaed states to Anonymous, "Thanks, writing that down for looking into."
Zara wonders, "Maybe do that Opera she was planning before?"
Temi states, "That is a bug not a typo though. I think I may have moved it, if you were missing the note"
Kinaed muses, "Well, there are no topics today, and it seems like we have a tough crowd - so dare I ask, does this mean everyone just wants to get back to Eos' plot? "
Kinaed claims, "Oo! One just came in."
SanoEos claims, "Please no"
SanoEos states, "I need to prepare things"
Kinaed exclaims, "OOC Chat = intermission, eh? I get it!"
SanoEos nods.
Kinaed declares to Ikeala, "You had a topic? :) Please introduce us!"
Temi grins.
Zara cheers for topics
Ikeala states, "Hello! So something I pondered after some RP the past few weeks is the display of coded names in the Who list. There are a number of people who don't really go by that name for a variety of IC reasons. And I can happily use myself as an example. "
Kinaed nods at Ikeala.
Anonymous says, "I just assume the who list is entirely ooc knowledge and never use it for anything. But thats just me."
Kinaed says, "We've floated using OOC names in the who list a few times, but never did it."
Temi says, "We do have whoinvis available for periods of time when people don't want to show on the who list"
Kinaed claims to Anonymous, "It is, but sadly people don't always stick to that, whether intentionally or subconsciously."
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Kitty says, "I'd go so far as to say, if it was used in the who list, it would need to be used on visnet, too."
Ikeala states, "Not even neccessarily OOC names persay. At least in my opinion but more 'people that go by X' are available for RP though whatever means."
Temi claims, "But knowing who is around can be useful for sending messengers and figuring out what to do and such, in a non metagamey kind of way"
Kitty states, "If they go whoinvis, we can't send them tells, though. Even if they send to us, first."
Kinaed claims, "I think using IC names is a good signal for the 'kind of IC names we want' for new players and to set the atmosphere, but I recognize it gets in the way of people being able to hide OOC info about their characters."
Deedee says, "I had a joke name for a who title, and someone started calling me that ICly"
Kinaed states to Deedee, "That kind of thing probably needs to be reported to staff. Major bad form. :("
Temi says, "It was probably a newbie mistake, forgetting that wasn't really the names"
Deedee states, "Just a mistake, but not a newbie, hah"
Ikeala states, "Sometimes folks tend to remember names faster than they learn them IC to prevent targeting hell, I think."
Temi grins at Deedee.
Temi says, "Well, all the same"
Kinaed says, "Probably not the behavior we want to encourage."
Kinaed wonders, "So what would be the desired solution for this?"
Anonymous claims, "A lot of people are very easy to identify based on clothing and GUILDLEADERS, tbh."
Anonymous states, "If I see someone walking around with the poet laudate's ring, and I see theo's name under poet laudate, I'm gonna think that person is theo."
Kitty states, "GLs ought to be recognizeable, though, in some way. Usually with some signet or something, yes. Unless someone is from outside of the city, they'd probably know that."
Kinaed says, "Yeah, if you type 'guildlist <guild>', that info is ICly generally available"
Kinaed claims, "As is the guildleaders command info"
Ikeala claims, "I think when you are a (non-covert GL) you kind of accept people recognizing you."
Kinaed nods at Ikeala.
Kitty trails off, "Well, yeah. I wasn't talking about covert GLs..."
Deedee says, "The code around names is kind of blah. I do wish it were easier to go by a non-coded name"
Kitty says, "But, covert GLs probably wouldn't be wearing signets, either."
Deedee says, "There's a lot hard-coded into the coded name"
Kinaed wonders, "Do we want the wholist just to use OOC names? Do we want to let people see an alternative IC name for their who name?"
Ikeala says, "I think letting people set an alternative name would be good."
Kinaed wonders, "Do we think, despite the problems, it's best how it is?"
Deedee claims, "An alternate name might be an option- but it should also work for roster"
Kinaed muses to Ikeala, "Would that be substantially different to setting your OOC name?"
Temi says, "Honestly, I think we're pretty bought in on coded names being display names. An alias for that sort of thing might be nice, but it's probably going to be a big effort to code"
Ikeala says, "Kind of. Because I'm not sure that having like joke OOC names or things not attatched to 'Who is available to RP' helps, it fixes one problem at the expense of another."
Kinaed claims, "I think making the wholist display your OOC name, like "Ikeala" would probably be fairly easy"
Kinaed claims, "I think creating a who name in addition to be used on who and roster would be more difficult"
Ikeala nods.
Temi says, "Probably pretty easy to switch who list to OOC name"
Kitty claims, "I think that with the notify command available, it wouldn't matter what people used on the who list."
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Temi states, "But I think we would lose more than we gain."
Kinaed states, "We could potentially let people set one of their courier aliases to be a 'whoalias' or something"
Kitty says, "Because notify uses remembered names."
Kinaed claims, "But it'd be more complicated, and probably push it down in priority."
Kitty trails off, "I wouldn't want people mailing me at my OOC name..."
Temi says, "Honestly, I'd rather leave it as it is than use OOC names."
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Kinaed claims, "I think a lot of people feel that way, even though we know IC/Code Names on the wholist is a long standing problem."
Temi states, "Both what you were saying about the kind of names we have here, for people coming in, and knowing who is around for what purposes."
Kinaed says, "We've created code for aliases, but it's patchy - buy a courier alias, but it isn't a 1:1 relationship to the player, and it doesn't translate into places like who, roster, etc."
Temi says, "Maybe a better way to look would be at a bonus for longstanding villain sorts to get a more permanent whoinvis option"
Kitty trails off, "That's what where is for, though, no? If they are available and in public..."
Anonymous says, "I am one hundred percent against permanent whoinvis"
Kinaed states, "My preferred solution would be to be able to nominate an alias. Once owned, you can use it for the wholist, roster, and courier systems."
Temi claims, "If they've added enough RP to the game, maybe 100 percent Rec level or something. But it does have downsides"
Ikeala claims, "Probably Blackmarket tied in there as well."
Temi nods at Kinaed.
Kinaed claims, "But it'd be a bigger code job than just displaying OOC names"
Kinaed nods at Ikeala.
Temi states, "I do think, people should roll up their character with the name they want to go by"
Lewllyn examines a scattering of silver coins.
(5 paces away, eastern edge of the area)
Kinaed claims, "Well, I think it's a great topic and that most of us align on the need, if not the solution. I also think it's probably not going to be solved quickly. "
Kitty says, "Thing is, once it is known, it is known. So, people can't change it to do nefarious things, and the same problem would be had that we have now. If everyone knows Kitty is Raylene, then... well, you get the idea."
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Temi says, "More of the issue is when people suddenly have to change their name due to, e.g. being discovered as a mage"
Kinaed states, "Except we have naming conventions to stop people from rolling up weird names."
Kinaed nods at Kitty.
Kinaed says, "I'll add it to staff talking points for longer term consideration - but I think this is one of those things worth doing right."
Kinaed states, "I also am mildly positive towards just displaying OOC names on the wholist as a stopgap."
Ikeala claims, "Just a thought that's come up in a few scenes the past month or so so thought I would bring it up."
Kinaed nods at Ikeala.
SanoEos says, "A toggle to display the ooc title instead"
Kitty claims, "Hasn't been a problem with the OOC channel, from what I can tell. People who want to leave their names as they are, do."
Kinaed states to SanoEos, "Could do that. It's a nice middle ground"
Kinaed states, "It's not a full solution that'd centralize an alias to tick off Who, Roster, Black Market, and Couriers ... but it's a decent solution if people want."
Kinaed claims, "May have some ins and outs to discuss. Again, throwing it on Staff Talking Points :)"
Kinaed claims to Ikeala, "Thank you for raising the topic for discussion."
Kinaed wonders, "Anyone else have anything they want to discuss? Any PSAs?"
Kinaed says, "Anyone using the invite commands? Wondering if that's gaining any traction."
Lewllyn queries, "Anyone run the Stardust? I checked the real estate office but didn't see it there"
Deedee questions, "Has invite been fixed to allow guildhall use?"
Kinaed states, "Don't recall guildhalls being blocked. I know private homes are, however, and that hasn't changed."
Temi claims, "Things should show up on roster if they are being managed"
Ikeala says, "There are a few Guildhalls it doesn't work for."
Ikeala says, "Even if they are otherwise public rooms."
Kinaed queries, "Can't step outside the guild, invite, then retire somewhere?"
Temi claims, "I think we agreed to make guildhalls work, but I think it needed a code change"
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Kinaed states, "Probably in our backlog"
Temi states, "And easy enough to work around with stepping out"
Kinaed nods at Temi.
SandMan claims, "I think what the game needs most right now is just more people to populate it with, which I know those just don't materialize out of thin air. Are there any ads run, or things to attract folks looking for a mud? I know there's the reddit section where some have posted things before, not quite sure what's the hot place to go searching for muds anymore, use to be mudconnector or topmudsites."
Temi states, "If you're already in RP, invite is less relevant, so stepping out shouldn't be an issue."
Kinaed says, "We're on all of them, yep."
Kitty states, "Reddit is pretty toxic, honestly."
say I told a lot of my friends.
Lewllyn says, "I told a lot of my friends."
Temi says to SandMan, "We have been working towards having all of our online media be consistent and then we wanted to do a bigger campaign"
Kinaed says, "The best way to get new players, research has shown, is for old players to ask and invite their friends. We post things to our twitter and Facebook accounts."
Kitty says, "And when I say 'pretty toxic', I mean... incredibly, horribly toxic and full of bitter people."
Temi claims, "But not sure if we've actioned anything on that"
Salem is idle.
Temi nods at Kitty.
Kinaed says, "Reddit tends to get spicy and has old players with grudges that make it an unpleasant place to hang out."
Kitty claims, ""new" posts that go up complaining about things months old, just to keep rehashing it. Yeah, I avoid."
Kinaed claims to Kitty, "Or just outright lying, yeah. :/ Alas, it's so toxic that I don't even want to wade in to correct misinformation."
Kinaed claims, "Anyway, we do have some advertising, but it is limited."
Kitty claims to Kinaed, "It'd not land, anyway, probably. Just add fuel."
Kinaed states, "For those of you who are telling their friends about TI, thank you! I hope it brings more people for you and others to play with."
say It's strange how lots of muds have a handful of really bad people that just seem to want to cause trouble.
Lewllyn says, "It's strange how lots of muds have a handful of really bad people that just seem to want to cause trouble."
SandMan sneezes loudly.
Kinaed says, "We do continue with our own efforts, but sadly none of us are actually marketers, so we're kind of doing our best :)"
Kinaed nods at Lewllyn.
SanoEos claims, "I also believe we have a drought due to covid being less of an issue and it being summer. I for one will definitely spend some time partying"
Ikeala claims, "Encouraging friends seems to be the best way. Even consider non-MUD friends if you have folks that generally like RP in other venues. (Like D&D buddies and such.)"
Temi nods in agreement.
Kinaed nods at SanoEos.
Temi claims, "I think people are less eager to stay home this summer, even if they normally would"
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Kinaed states, "In the meantime, we'll keep running little events, and I hope everyone has fun :)"
Kinaed states, "We'll post them on Facebook and Twitter, announce them on Discord"
Kinaed says, "We're listed on all of the major mud sites."
Kinaed states, "Any other ideas, we're happy to hear. We used to recommend that players post a review on Reddit - but honestly, I'd feel bad putting anyone in harms way, so we stopped that."
Kinaed muses, "I'm not sure there are a lot of mud sites that take reviews anymore?"
Temi claims, "Which is unfortunately letting them win a bit, but not a lot we can do."
Temi nods.
Ikeala claims, "Honestly if you do suffer watching Reddit if you see someone asking for something we might fit, I just send the OP a direct message and provide the Discord and site info. "
Kinaed says to Temi, "I dunno. A lot of people on Reddit are pretty jaded about that kind of player, I think. In my eyes, they make themselves look bad and discredit themselves. It's not doing a lot GREAT for us, but it's also not the end of the world, I think."
Kinaed claims to Ikeala, "That's probably a great strategy. Thanks for suggesting it :)"
Temi states, "I mean, dissuading ourselves from posting our stuff up on reddit, is letting them win a little."
SanoEos claims, "I'm a little concerned for the people who have last played 3 years ago and are still posting about the game. "
Kitty states, "Except we have to ask ourselves if we want the players who will fall for all of that bitterness stuff."
Kinaed nods at SanoEos.
Anonymous queries, "Temi what stuff do you refer to?"
Temi says, "Mud reviews and such."
Kinaed states, "I don't think answering any posts on Reddit will do anything but overjoy those ex-players with the opportunity to drag us down into the mud for a good roll."
Temi nods.
Temi states, "Yeah, I didn't so much mean responding as if we're not even posting there to start with, that might be what they are going for."
Kinaed says, "Also, it takes energy I'd rather focus on positive endeavours, like making things for the actual game"
SanoEos states, "I also think that once someone has a certain view of the game and of how staff operates then anything we do will be seen in that light so all in all I think there's no productive way to engage with reddit. If someone wants to give constructive feedback about the game they can use the forum, ooc meetings, or send an email to Kin if it's something that truly needs to be private. "
say a contest could be a way to attract a lot of new people. The rules could be they have to log so many hours of play, and invite their friends, or something to be eligible for a prize. idk I've just read of contests in the past getting results.
Lewllyn says, "A contest could be a way to attract a lot of new people. The rules could be they have to log so many hours of play, and invite their friends, or something to be eligible for a prize. idk I've just read of contests in the past getting results."
Kinaed states to Lewllyn, "It's definitely more interesting than other things we've done in the past. I'll add it to Staff Talking points to discuss the ins and outs."
Kinaed says to Lewllyn, "Thanks :)"
emote boes
Lewllyn boes
Kitty states, "I think we do that already, naturally. The person who recommends someone come can put their name and they will get 10 QP when that person reaches enough hours, plus the free phome at 10 rp hours, etc."
Lewllyn states, "Lol "bows""
INFO> A daemon has written a new note, The Tail and Teeth at large, on the IC_Events board.
Kinaed asks, "Speaking of contests - has everyone who wanted to have their character featured on the website submitted a Google form with the required information?"
Kinaed says, "I've gotten ... I want to say 4 last time I looked."
Kinaed says, "I plan to kick Stacey off on Monday."
Kinaed claims, "Please remember dead characters are welcome, as are multiple characters - we're looking to create a little showcase of variety and themes for various characters."
Ikeala says, "I'm not sure folks knew what the time frame looked like might want to update the post with the when it's due by."
Kinaed says, "The form is here: https://forms.gle/reTTRPwtbGzo5K5n8 "
Anonymous queries, "Is there an actual way to capture the animals alive?"
SanoEos states, "Yes"
Kinaed claims, "Yep, I'll put in a due date on the post. Thanks :)"
SanoEos says, "Get creative"
INFO> Kinaed is EDITING the note TI Feature Character Competition (Edited by Kinaed) (Edited by Kinaed), by Kinaed, on the Announce board.
Kinaed starts editing a note. (This is an OOC action)
Anonymous says, "I am... not very good with creative things. hrm."
SanoEos states, "There will be a few letters sent around with ideas too"
SanoEos states, "Or rather the handlers asking for help"
Temi says, "There's a plot header opened, which means free plots related to it"
Kinaed finishes her note.
INFO> Kinaed has edited the note TI Feature Character Competition (Edited by Kinaed) (Edited by Kinaed) (Edited by Kinaed) on the Announce board.
Anonymous claims, "Okay."
Kinaed finishes abruptly, "Official deadline - June 30th"
Kinaed queries, "Okay, we have five minutes to go, and I think part 2 of today's plot is ready to go. Anyone want to discuss any other business?"
SanoEos claims, "There may even be skills related to animals that may or may not help"
Kinaed says, "Alright, I'll take that as excitement to get back to the day at hand. Thanks for coming to OOC Chat, everyone! It's good to see you, and I look forward to catching up next week."
Kinaed trails off, "Hold onto your hats for a retrans in 3..."
Kinaed says, "2.."
Kinaed claims, "1."
Ikeala has been transferred out by Kinaed. [OOC]
Zara has been transferred out by Kinaed. [OOC]
Kinaed has transferred Lewllyn.

• Information