Log of OOC Meeting: 2021-05-01

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Rey

Sat May 01, 2021 8:02 pm

Kinaed claims, "A reminder of the OOC Chat Pact: Regardless of what we discuss, we understand and
truly believe that everyone on TI does the best they can, given what they know at the time, their
skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand. We will be respectful of
this and each other at all times."

Kinaed says, "Today's Agenda is:

- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today? If you
register a topic, please pre-write it so you're ready to present it when called upon."

Deedee says, "I've got something"

Kinaed states to Deedee, "Got you :)"

Kinaed says, "Okay, kicking off Staff Updates - last week, I worked with our Web Designer a bit and
did a few smaller things around TI, like help the programmers with Git and our hosting package size
limits, etc. Nothing super big."

Kinaed states, "Next week, I won't be around. It's Mother's Day, so will see if I can get a staff
member to cover me."

Kinaed trails off, "That's it for me..."

Kinaed rolled 1d4 for a pool of: 3. [Dy015]

Kinaed wonders to Salem, "Would you like to update us? :)"

Kinaed has transferred Merigold. [OOC]

Temi gives a gold-hued candy pacifier with a wide, jewel-shaped handle to Merigold.

Salem states, "I finished a bunch of changes, that are cool. They still need to be tested."

Kinaed smiles.

Merigold thanks Temi.

Kinaed muses to Salem, "Can we get players to help test, or is it stuff only staff can test?"

Ghed states, "It's mobprog code"

Temi claims, "I know some of it was staff-specific things, yeah"

Kinaed asks, "Ahh, okay. So you'll test, Ghed?"

Ghed nods.

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Kinaed states, "Thanks :)"

Deedee says, "I can always help break stuff if needed."

Salem says, "And other things. Once we are sure it's not crashing anything, then we can just play it
in and see if there are more bugs."

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed declares, "Sounds like a solid plan. Thanks!"

Kinaed wonders to Salem, "Anything else to add?"

Gnomely states, "I'm usually good for breaking stuff too, if anyone needs a tester/"

Salem claims, "That was it."

Kinaed rolled 1d3 for a pool of: 3. [Dy015]

Wimpled has left the game.

Kinaed says to Temi, "You're up :)"

Eos starts editing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Eos finishes her note.

Temi states, "Well! Had a marathon late-night testing session with Salem last night. Managed to
crash the test server probably half a dozen times, so there will be more of that later. and today
so far spent all day on the Jade Arrow event"

Kinaed smiles.

Anonymous declares, "Thank you to Temi again for helping with the Jade Arrow!"

Temi says, "So, I'm afraid I didn't have time to add a new crafting recipe this week."

Deedee pontificates, "Thanks for the fun event, Ghed and Temi!"

Temi claims, "But! Confessor's Alley is coming along nicely. I think I have all the rooms desced,
and just need to make sure the shops are full enough, and it needs lore stuck in."

Temi states, "So, maybe next week."

Cat states, "Yeah. the event was good."

Eos says, "Feel free to suggest some Lore, made up is good as well."

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed rolled 1d2 for a pool of: 1. [Dy015]

Kinaed says to Eos, "You're turn :)"

Kinaed says, "Er, *your"

Temi states, "Yeah, especially as it opens up, more lore ideas for the places you see would
definitely be welcome."

Eos states, "Some smaller coding changes - daily locale quest reminder and now covert guilds pay
bribes instead of taxes -, otherwise helped a little with Jade Arrow mobs."

Kinaed declares to Ghed, "Last, but never least :) You're up!"

Ghed nods.

Ghed declares, "We just finished an amazing series of scenes regarding the resolution of the Jade
Arrow storyline! Every single staffer gave me a huge hand during this month, including today. Three
simmultaneous, synchronised scenes, with different themes and strategies!"

Ghed pontificates, "Other than that I did a bunch of scripts, updated or fixed some of my mobs, did
some phome requests, recommends, and posted rumors to keep some things going. And plots, lots of
plots!"

Ghed claims, "On my desk is updating and improving some helpfiles."

Kinaed states, "A big thanks to all of you for the hard work :)"

Temi states, "And next week Ghed might need to be doing some sleeping."

Temi grins.

Rey pontificates, "Thank you for all the hard work!"

Temi nods in agreement.

Kinaed says, "Just a reminder that our website will be transitioning sometime today, and will likely
require some polishing up once it's in."

Merigold cheers for Ghed!

Deedee asks, "Is the forum going to remain as-is?"

Kinaed says, "We expect some minor flaws with content."

Salem says, "That's today? Nice."

Ghed states, "I'm very tired"

Kinaed says, "The forum will remain as-is for today, but it is on the list of things that will be
'reskinned' to go with the website."

Kinaed comforts Ghed.

Kinaed claims, "Also the Wiki - but only appearance for uniformity, no actual data or structural
changes."

Merigold comforts Ghed and offers a cup of soothing tea?

Deedee nods.

Ghed claims, "Takes the and puts his feet in a warm bucket of water."

Ghed takes the and puts his feet in a warm bucket of water.

Kinaed claims, "Alright - that's everything for Staff. :)"

Kinaed asks, "Next up - Player Heartbeat. How was the game for you this week, folks?"

Kinaed has transferred Wight. [OOC]

Anonymous states, "Very relieved to have this stage of the Jade Arrow completed and done with."

Deedee states, "I've had a little bit more time for RPing this week. Oh, I actually made the top 10
it looks like"

'it was a great week and with the raid of the Jade Arrow being a high point.

Rey states, "It was a great week and with the raid of the Jade Arrow being a high point."

Temi gives a gold-hued candy pacifier with a wide, jewel-shaped handle to Wight.

Kinaed claims to Wight, "We were just coming to Player Heartbeat and how the game was for players
this week if you want to chime in :)"

Merigold has been good this week! Merigold is just getting started but is slowly making herself
known. The Jade Arrow stuff has been great so lots of props to everyone involved in that!

Wight declaims, "I've had some good scenes this week! I'm playing a lot more casually than I have in
the past due to other comittments but i seem to have found a good rhythm again"

Deedee nods.

Deedee states, "Hard to find that balance sometimes"

Merigold almost regrets that she didn't get mugged.

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Kinaed comforts Merigold.

Kinaed says, "Plenty of chances for that in the future."

Deedee says to Merigold, "Never too late :)"

Civetta states, "There are always more opportunities to be mugged."

Wight claims, "It's not a lithmore party if there isn't *at least* one mugging"

Merigold is quite tiny though. Might squish.

Hawali has returned from AFK.

Civetta highfives Kinaed

Kinaed asks, "Anything shitting anyone that isn't a topic?"

Kinaed grins at Civetta.

Kinaed claims, "I'm guessing the general silence on the question is a 'nah' :) Moving to Player
Topics then :)"

Deedee says, "Nah."

Kinaed states to Deedee, "You're up :)"

Deedee muses, "Regarding the new password transport mobjobs, I was interested in using them to allow
access to the different Physicians' properties to allow more medical RP opportunities outside of the
Madison. Would we be allowed to do so, even if they are for example behind racial or class xblocks?
e.g. the clinic in the Tubori quarter or the one in Southside?"

Temi claims, "The criteria we set for them was a physical admittance, not a magical teleport"

Kinaed says to Deedee, "I think that's something I'll need to discuss with staff because I'm not
sure about all of the implications of a decision either-way."

Deedee states, "It would be physical admittance."

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Temi states, "Physical meaning next to"

Sparkles questions, "Doesn't staying in the Madison itself provide a boost for healing?"

Kinaed says to Deedee, "Have you Request Boarded what you want? We'll review it and discuss it as
part of our Staff Talking points."

Kinaed says to Sparkles, "Certain rooms of it, yes."

Temi says, "But yeah, it sounds like staff will want to discuss this in more depth"

Deedee states, "I haven't, I just asked Temi if it would be allowed first"

Sparkles questions, "So would that be the same to all these smaller Clinics?"

Deedee says, "It should be. But to note, that doesn't help with wounds"

Deedee states, "It's just a boost to HP recovery"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Deedee says, "I'll write up the request."

Kinaed states, "The main issue is that we need to know what's desired, and any decision we make will
imply or set standards for all players, so... yeah, we'll need to know a bit more so we can pro-
actively determine what those should be systemically."

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Kinaed states, "I only have a player with a PSA on the list now."

Kinaed asks of Sparkles, "Want to raise your PSA?"

Sparkles claims, "Just a bit of a note about properly leaving scenes or letting people know if you
have to step away. "

Ghed queries, "Can you ellaborate a bit?"

Kinaed states, "I think I know what she's talking about, and I agree. If someone can't respond to an
emote in a reasonable amount of time, just afk <message> or even send a tell saying 'brb' or
something. I do think, however, we as TI people have a standard code thing of a *max* of 5 minutes,
then it's fair game to just emote."

Murrmurs is no longer idle.

Sparkles states, "I've had a number of scenes over the past few weeks of folks idling out and/or
walking out without commentary. So folks being a bit slower is all well, I can be a touch slower
myself but ... particularly when something is a bit less than a casual scene it can mean folks are
waiting for you."

Ghed claims, "That's undesirable, yes"

Sparkles claims, "Just a quick 'I'll brb' or 'pose around me' in an osay can just clear that up so
the other people can make choices accordingly."

Kinaed nods at Sparkles.

Kinaed says, "It does mean a lot. Please do this as a courtesy. "

Kinaed claims, "In a broader sense, I've been playing TI again recently, and it's actually deeply
surprised me how slow RP has gotten on TI. "

Deedee nods.

Cat states, "I have that with some people. They just idle out and don't come back without
explanation. Or they do come back after 1 hour and then just leave the room without and emote. It's
not good because they are kinda there but also kind of aren't and they don't say anything so we
never know if we can continue the scene. A few people do that. Might just be one player though."

Deedee nods in agreement.

Kinaed nods at Cat.

Kinaed says, "I heard there is a player who is doing that serially, actually, and they are on our
radar."

Deedee says, "I've had some instances with a player who does that when they don't like how the scene
is going"

Deedee says to Kinaed, "Could be the same, then"

Kinaed claims, "I'll need specific reports to be able to talk to the player though, rather than
generalized statements, unfortunately. So if you have an instance of this, and report it, it'll
help. If I get something like 3 reports in a week, I'll feel confident talking to the player.
Otherwise it's one of those things that is annoying, but it's hard to quantify how bad it is.
Everyone has their occasional lapses and reasons - I've had guests come to my door that I wasn't
expecting and forgot to flag AFK, for example."

Deedee nods.

Kinaed states, "Once in a blue moon isn't really a problem, but systemically behaving that way is RP
Avoidance, and this game generally isn't consensual."

Ghed claims to Sparkles, "Thanks for bringing it up"

Kinaed says, "Anyway, we do have a bit of a problem on TI of continuous partial attention, and it's
also self-feeding. So if someone is slow, I might do other things, then my RP slows down, and pretty
soon everyone's is."

Ghed nods.

Kinaed claims, "It's something TI never seemed to suffer much until Turn Taking became a standard -
not saying that it's a bad standard./"

Ghed says, "We could drain the App of idling players."

Gaiseric is idle.

Kinaed claims, "Well, a lot of our players fall into the idling category sadly, and resent pressure
to be present and attentive through code means. Not really sure how best to solve it."

Civetta claims, "MUD-playing population is also aging and doing things like playing from work or
playing from a phone."

Kinaed says, "There are legitimate reasons to be slower, and if all RP partners are cool with it,
it's fine. It's just that - I think usually most people aren't cool with it, they're just tolerant."

Sparkles claims, "So ... here's the thing."

Kinaed nods at Civetta.

Sparkles says, "I think any time this topic comes up we conflate pose rate/emote speed with idling
out. But the two aren't the same thing."

Kinaed claims to Sparkles, "It's true that they're not the same thing - but from the perspective of
someone receiving posts, they feel pretty much the same."

Cat claims, "How about emphasizing that turn order is not a thing until called? Because my emote are
usually short but fast and it kinda clashes with the turn order stuff a little. That just my opinion
though."

Kinaed states to Cat, "I agree. It's definitely not a standard I want to make for TI because I think
it's overhall harmful. Having said that, a lot of people seem to feel turn order is the default on
TI, even though help files explicitly say turn order is not required unless Turns is called."

Deedee nods.

Temi says, "Waiting for people, I generally feel it's fine to emote again relatively quickly if it's
an 'oops, tag this on', or if someone else has gone since you emoted, as long as it's not always the
same other person that hasn't."

Deedee states, "I think most people take turns to be polite"

Deedee states, "But when it's a scene with 3 or more, it can really grind things to a halt if
there's a slow emoter"

Temi claims, "So if there's three people, and just two of you emoting back and forth, don't leave
that third person out and never wait for them, but don't feel obliged to wait for both other people
to go every time"

Rey states, "I like turn order with people throwing in extra when appropriate. Only because I've
seen two faster poster post and completely not give people a chance to respond."

Kinaed claims, "It never was a thing until some players (particularly slower players) started to
complain and get OOCly offended at the speed of RP around them. Not being able to keep up."

Kinaed says, "And that's why I take turns - because I don't want to be a dick and walk all over
people. But the flip side is everything slows down to the largest denominator in a self-feeding
cycle that makes TI near unplayable to me."

Deedee nods.

Cat says, "Yeah, but slow posting and busting into a scene and then idling out after two emotes is
two different things."

Rey says, "True"

Kinaed says, "With things like 1-2 hour gaps in my schedule, having a scene with people is so
difficult if I spent 30 minutes of an hour absolutely idle waiting for someone to type."

Kinaed nods at Cat.

Kinaed says, "Yeah, that's even another level of problematic."

'It's more frustrating to me having someone post in and then stop posting because the scene isn't
going the way they imagined, then idling out.

Kinaed states, "That level of problematic can get banned though, if they're particularly
eggregious."

Rey states, "It's more frustrating to me having someone post in and then stop posting because the
scene isn't going the way they imagined, then idling out. "

Kinaed says to Rey, "Both are technically idling out though, and it's not clear if someone is
stopping because they don't like how the scene is going or if they spilled their hot dinner on their
foot."

Kinaed claims, "Or any other reason."

Kinaed claims, "Ultimately the people observing the problem are affected the same way."

Deedee states, "I think it's really two seperate issues though"

Kinaed claims, "Of course, when the person is active on an alt or logs in to play with other people
not much later, it sends a signal."

Cat asks, "I guess. So everybody keep an eye on it?"

Ghed claims, "It's supremely unkind when it happens in a tense moment, or an adverse one for the
offender"

Ghed nods at Cat.

Gnomely is idle.

Temi states, "In any case, please do report if someone is engaging in blatantly rude behavior, so we
can talk to them."

Deedee nods.

Gnomely is no longer idle.

Rey nods.

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Kinaed wonders, "Okay, it's almost the top of the hour. Is there anything else people would like to
discuss?"

Ghed states, "A gentle reminder to people to post rumors about things that happen and others would
reasonably hear about"

Kinaed smiles.

Civetta claims, "Yeaaaaaaaahhhhh"

Anonymous says, "I will be making a rumor about todays event"

Kinaed declares, "Yes! And you get IP for it too!"

Anonymous claims, "FYI"

Ghed states, "Loving all the player recommendations btw"

Kinaed questions, "And I think excess IP turns into silver at the end of the week also?"

Kinaed exclaims, "So you get money for it too!"

Ghed nods at Kinaed.

Ghed says, "It enriches RP like you wouldn't believe"

Kinaed smiles.

Ghed states, "I see it through many places, how it stirs people into action"

Kinaed says, "Okay, thank you everyone."

Ghed nods.

Kinaed says, "I hope to see you next week, and I also hope you have heaps of fun on TI between now
and then."

• Information