Log of OOC Meeting: 2021-04-17

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Rey

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:12 pm

Temi declares, "Alright! So Kin has to leave part way through so I'll be running things today"

The Courier hands Kinaed a letter.

Temi claims, "Our agenda for today is 1) Staff Updates, 2) Player Heartbeat, 3) Player Topics"

Temi gives a wooden, sporting racket with molded leather on the handle to Violet.

Violet waves.

Temi muses, "Does anyone have any topics to get on the list?"

Cat has returned from AFK.

Temi gives a wooden, sporting racket with molded leather on the handle to Cat.

Eos has transferred Tasker. [OOC]

Temi gives a wooden, sporting racket with molded leather on the handle to Tasker.

Eos has transferred Murrmurs. [OOC]

Temi gives a wooden, sporting racket with molded leather on the handle to Murrmurs.

Temi queries, "I've got one anonymous topic. Anyone else that wants to get on the list?"

Eos has transferred Moartex. [OOC]

Temi gives a wooden, sporting racket with molded leather on the handle to Moartex.

Salem has returned from AFK.

Rey states, "Me please"

Temi nods at Rey.

Murrmurs has returned from IAW.

Temi exclaims, "Alright... if anyone else has things they want to get on the list that they think
of, please let us know and we'll add you to the list!"

Murrmurs holds a wooden, sporting racket with molded leather on the handle in his hand.

Murrmurs swipes his racket swiftly through the air from right to left.

Murrmurs stops using a wooden, sporting racket with molded leather on the handle.

Temi exclaims, "So, staff updates!"

Temi questions, "Kinaed before you have to run off?"

Temi has transferred Yaslan. [OOC]

Temi gives a wooden, sporting racket with molded leather on the handle to Yaslan.

Yaslan appears in a shower of sparkles.

Kinaed claims, "Last week, I held staff meeting. We made some decisions, and I updated some help
files, mostly HELP NEWS. This week, I plan to respond to anything coming my way, but have no real
agenda. Let me know if anyone wants me to do anything in particular."

Kinaed states, "Also, if you need my attention, please Discord me."

Temi says, "Thanks! Update from Viridis: Has been continuing to work on some mage stuff."

Ghed states, "He also assists me when I'm not too active, with player requests etc"

Temi states, "For me, I've been working most heavily on the grey zone stuff. Libby here is an
entrepeneur from Cirian Undercircle. But I've got maybe half desced, with more to do, and
additional glitzing after that."

Temi says, "But having far too much fun with a few gambling house mobs."

Temi grins.

Murrmurs grins.

Temi states, "The new craft of the week is for the thiefies, and they've already been informed about
that, so nothing to report to the rest of you."

Temi claims, "But I also met with them and we have some ideas of quick things we can do to improve
stuff for them, beyond the grey zone."

Tasker says, "Give them all assault rifles "

Temi grins.

Temi states, "Wasn't requested, funnily enough."

Anonymous states, "Wrong game you goof"

Tasker says, "Dammit"

Temi queries, "Okay... Salem?"

Deedee says, "Loaded dice might be fun"

Temi wonders, "Ah, we may have lost Salem. Ghed while we're waiting?"

Salem states, "Uhm. let me type."

Temi pontificates, "Or Salem!"

Temi grins.

Deedee sits down and rests.

Salem states, "Idid some refactoring, started on stuff for some crafts for our shady people and
yeah. I need to pick up sme more stuff next week."

Temi declares, "Thanks! Should be exciting to see"

Temi questions, "Okay, Ghed?"

Ghed nods.

Ghed claims, "Hello everyone. I've been busy with the Jade Arrow, chiefly. That means plots,
questions, rumors, puppets, mobprogs, etc. I posted a survey in the General pboard, please consider
answering it."

Ghed claims, "You've all been great with playing along and rolling with the punches. There is a
progression and we will reach a conclusion, hopefully, in a timely manner."

Ghed declares, "There is at least one player who anonymously indicated being frustrated at not being
able to engage with the Jade Arrow plot. If you're listening, please send a pboard, even if
anonymously, to vent a little please!"

Ghed claims, "Other than that, I worked hard on the request and typo boards, recommends and rumors
too. I helped pimp up the Brotherhood GHall as well. I'll be working on newly evicted homes soon."

Ghed says, "On my desk remains helpfile retouches and mobprog guides for staffers."

Violet says, "Woah. Speedy Ghed."

Ghed says, "That's how I roll"

Murrmurs claims, "You ghed it done. I'll, uh.. see myself out."

Violet dies laughing.

Ghed states, "Thanks. Lol."

Temi grins.

Temi declaims, "But yeah, thanks everyone for interacting with Ghed's plot! Glad to see you all
care about it"

Tasker draws 2.bastard

Tasker says, "Dammit"

Sparkles states, "Nice."

Temi queries, "Alright, Eos?"

Deedee claims, "Hope it lasts long enough for me to get involved, been a busy IRL week for me"

Temi claims, "I don't think we're imminently in danger of being over"

Eos says, "I enabled the daily locale quests, fixed the age brackets when cloaked, helped Temi with
the Grey Zone. Trash is also now rerouted to IC trash rooms and sewer rooms after a holding phase of
1-2 weeks. We as staff have also been looking at why antag play may be unpopular after getting some
player opinions in but that discussion is postponed so we can give it the attention it deserves.
Also our coding-only staff member has been helping us a lot with background setup and I spent some
time working on this. "

Ghed says, "Serious work there"

Deedee says, "I was happy to see that today's daily locale is the Madison, then sad to see it's not
a popular place for it. :("

Temi says, "I think people are still getting into the swing of the locale quests"

Temi exclaims, "But I hope they add some good flavor to get people in different places!"

Deedee nods in agreement.

Rey wonders, "Will there be a help file for locale quests?"

Eos muses, "I haven't seen the locale quest being used all that much, is there a reason why?"

Murrmurs declares, "I like them for room 'discovery' as it were. There are so many great spaces that
are criminally underused!"

Eos claims, "Oh. try help locale"

Eos claims, "Or nor"

Ghed states, "Criminally. Heh."

Violet states, "Help locale does not work. I unfortunately keep forgetting the word :("

Temi nods in agreement with Murrmurs.

Eos muses, "Did I not open it up to the player base?"

Deedee grins at Ghed.

Eos claims, "Temi, help, I think the helpfile is immortal only"

Temi claims, "Ahh, locale quest helpfile needs an index"

Temi asks, "Commands?"

Deedee claims, "Hm"

Rey claims, "I tried it to see how long you had to play in a locale room before you get qp, but
realized there was no help file I could access."

Eos says, "So there is a helpfile but its not unlocked for players"

Temi says, "Okay, should be visible now"

'Thanks!

Rey exclaims, "Thanks!"

Deedee muses, "Help qp quest is filed under information, so maybe there?"

Temi states, "That could work too, though it does have a command"

Eos says, "So thats the reason it wasnt used. yea, it should be accessible now"

Deedee states, "Oh, cool."

Eos declaims, "Sorry!"

Temi pontificates, "Alrighty! Player heartbeat then"

Temi wonders, "How's RP been this week, folks?"

INFO> Eos is EDITING the note Daily Locale Quest added (Edited by Eos), by Eos, on the Announce
board.
Eos starts editing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Violet pontificates, "I saw a demon! It was fun!"

Violet claims, "Thank you to staff members who have been puppeting things for our amusement."

'The demon was so awesomely creepy.

Rey states, "The demon was so awesomely creepy."

Eos finishes her note.
INFO> Eos has edited the note Daily Locale Quest added (Edited by Eos) (Edited by Eos) on the
Announce board.

Eos states, "I will pass it on to Viridis. I'm glad you all enjoyed it :)"

Temi grins.

Cat is idle.

Murrmurs says, "Been working on mixing up trouble."

Anonymous says, "I have been very busy."

Temi states, "The racket today is to commemorate that event."

Temi grins.

Violet asks, "I know this gets asked on the reg, but we can recommend staff, right?"

Temi nods at Violet.

Deedee nods.

Sparkles says, "It's been rather lively. I'm glad to see lots of things going on."

Temi says, "Recommending staff is fine, yep"

Ghed states, "Viridis scares me"

Rey says, "It gave me good horror vibes. I love me some horror."

Yaslan has lost link.

Temi exclaims, "Awesome, glad to hear!"

Ghed muses, "Anything else?"

Temi wonders, "How's the pace of plot stuff feeling?"

Temi questions, "Too little, too much?"

Ghed states, "According to my survey, opinions are somewhere between 'too little' and 'too much'"

Ghed claims, "Lol"

Cat is no longer idle.

Temi grins.

Ghed states, "7 players wants these plots to not be so frequent, 6 want to keep 'em coming"

Deedee states, "Hah"

Ghed says, "3 others want less frequency altogether"

Temi wonders, "And anything bothering folks that staff ought to know about, that's not already a
topic?"

Violet claims, "I personally wish I could have a bit less plot-writing and a bit more RP, but I am
enjoying the pace and the intrigue. Hopefully if I wander around grid enough I will stumble into
some Jade Arrow thugs for that, though :)"

Ghed claims, "You can be sure of that"

Murrmurs says, "The living game space and regular updates has made logging in to see what's changed
/ where to play a ton of fun. Same sense as Violet RE:manner of engagement with plots."

Temi grins at Murrmurs.

Temi nods at Violet.

Deedee states, "Well it seems most are optional"

Temi states, "In general, I do think staff intend for plots to be opt-in, for those people
interested. But some will be geared towards certain roles having to at least have someone invovled"

Deedee nods.

Ghed states, "It's a difficult balance and you guys have been great at giving me polite and kind
feedback"

Temi wonders, "Anything else folks want to add on any of that, before we get on to topics?"

Deedee nibbles on a wooden, sporting racket with molded leather on the handle.

Sparkles states, "Sometimes it isn't the pace itself but kind of the scramble of 'I need to get this
done before someone else submits another plot' "

Ghed states, "Hmm, I see"

Ghed says, "Thanks"

Deedee asks, "Hm, so more slow pace would be better?"

Deedee states, "That brings to mind on the last one"

Libby giggles and shakes her head. "I haven't even moved them again yet. And I need your five
silver!"

Temi claims, "Well, let's go ahead and segue into the first topic, which was anonymous, but it's
somewhat related"

Temi has unloaded Libby!

Temi claims, "Shush, Libby."

Deedee eyes libby.

Temi states to Deedee, "You said 'one'."

Deedee states, "Ahh."

Temi wonders, "Submitted from a player: I wanted to bring up the balance of IC secrecy vs OOC
inclusivity for discussion. I know that with PvE plots, there is a desire to get the best outcome
possible and to 'win', but I saw sometimes that when newer, non-GL players tried to involve
themselves, they were brushed aside. These are the justifications I heard: 1. The older players have
higher stats, skills, etc. so are more likely to succeed in plot actions. 2. Certain characters want
to keep the circle of people 'in the know' small to prevent information leaks and resulting negative
outcomes. This sucks for less established players. How can we prevent this? What would facilitate
more inclusion? Is this reminder sufficient, or is there something staff or policy-side that would
help?"

Anonymous claims, "I don't see how IC secrecy has to do with that."

Temi claims, "Especially for the staff-run plots, staff definitely want more people to be able to
get involved. We give hooks to interest and grab a variety of people, and we appreciate when
established folks give the chance for others to get in on those, even if they could shut it down"

Deedee claims, "I've had sort of the opposite trouble myself"

Deedee claims, "As an established player, it's difficult to involve the people who I want to, since
they have trouble with the plot system"

Temi states, "Sometimes, that's obviously easier than other times."

Temi nods at Deedee.

Murrmurs exclaims, "The plot system does have a learning curve to it, and sorting out how to
interact with it in a meaningful way which will produce results can be challenging!"

Ghed says, "I have had plenty of plots by non-GLs"

Violet states, "The plot system can be very confusing at times. Especially plots with a ton of
actions all in one."

Deedee nods.

Temi queries, "That's a good point. Do people feel like it's comfort level with the plot system, or
other exclusion of non-GL sorts?"

Anonymous states, "I do not understand what the complaint is."

Ghed claims, "We'll be clarifying that part"

Ghed meant Violet

Sparkles states, "I do think it is kind of a long-term question/concern about the nature of TI. As
sort of an 'intrigue game' there is some aspects a reward for not involving as many people and at
times a lot of risk for doing so. "

Murrmurs queries, "I can say that the plot system becomes much less transparent once one has made
contact with folks acting through it --- I wonder if more plots related to header activities could
by default be made public / run in larger circles? Or---having staff note that it would need to have
results shared broadly?"

Temi claims, "Staff have discussed this some already - we do want to move towards plots being
primarily directed by the person creating it, with others providing mainly elaboration and back-up,
rather than piling a lot of different actions in one plot."

Ghed states, "The complaint seems to be, older players will often win and thus rationally they may
want to be the ones to always do plots. And, some players want to win and thus will keep the
decision making process as airtight as possible, which makes sense IC but harms the game OOC"

Murrmurs says OOCly, "Much more transparent***"

Murrmurs claims, "I mean to say---that being shut out is more a product of not being on the included
character list than it is of folks trying to keep information kettled."

Ghed says to Murrmurs, "This is why we try to add rumors related to plots"

Rey states, "I sent a suggestion about plots through pboard. I'm not sure if it was seen yet."

Ghed claims to Rey, "It was seen but not discussed yet"

Temi states, "We do still want people to have private plots related to big plots too, though."

Murrmurs nods with Ghed.

Deedee nods.

Temi says, "Like when the whole war with Roland was going on, we had thieves that wanted to poison a
lake of drinking water."

Murrmurs states, "Nice."

Temi claims, "No issues with that not being broadly public knowledge."

Temi grins.

Deedee states, "Nice."

Violet questions, "Have a lot of the plots for the Jade Arrow had associated rumors?"

Ghed states, "Yes"

Ghed states, "I mean"

Temi states, "We should request rumors be added if it makes sense and there aren't already some
there. But I know there have been some rumors"

Temi nods.

Ghed claims, "Some have had rumors WITHIN the plot, others I just added a rumor unilaterally bc it
made sense"

Moartex is idle.

Violet nods.

Deedee says, "I had a thought on rumors"

Ghed pontificates, "So! Bottom line, I think it's good to share the fun, even with suboptimal
characters etc"

Ghed says, "Roping in newbies in particular is VERY GOOD and will earn you love"

Deedee wonders, "They still seem to stick around long after they're relevent a lot of the time.
Could they die out faster if they're not promoted?"

Anonymous states, "I have a thought."

Moartex is no longer idle.

Moartex has returned from AFK.

Ghed claims to Deedee, "Hmmm a good talk for another topic/time"

Deedee says, "I mean, die out x days since they're last prmoted, so if they're not still being
promoted they'll fade out"

Deedee nods.

Anonymous says, "I don't have a problem in roping in newbies, in fact I often try to do just that.
But with this particular plotline, I think the stakes are simply too high for most characters to be
reasonably expected to trust people they don't know."

Murrmurs claims, "Disagree."

Ghed states, "Oh I don't mean bringing a newbie into a Illuminati meeting"

Ghed says, "But like, hiring out a new charalin player to track stuff"

Ghed states, "Delegating minor/mundane/time consuming tasks"

Ghed says, "Or have someone make you a cloak for disguise instead of buying a generic one in a npc
shop"

Ghed says, "Etc"

Deedee says, "That doesn't sound too exciting for the person involved though."

Violet questions, "What makes the stakes too high to be inclusive? I don't think this plot is any
higher stakes than say... the Civil War, the Daravi Vortex, the White Flame, right?"

Ghed nods.

Temi nods at Violet.

Anonymous claims, "I wasn't around for the vortex or white flame so I can't draw comparisons to
them, and I was only around for the tail end of the civil war. But the King's heir is kidnapped.
That's pretty high stakes."

Ghed says, "Daravi Vortex was an extinction level threat, yes"

Deedee queries, "It's basically just pirates this time right? doesn't sound high stakes at all"

Temi says, "It is pretty high stakes, though others have been higher, for sure"

Anonymous claims, "I can only speak for myself, but while I don't have a problem with giving new
characters tasks, most of the time, I don't really have tasks that minor to give out."

Ghed nods.

Ghed states, "That can simply happen sometimes yes"

Yaslan is idle.

Violet questions, "At some point we need to choose OOC inclusivity and the quality of our
storytelling over IC winning. And also trust, honestly, that staff isn't going screw us over. Unless
Ghed has secret plans to get us all banished and the kingdom turned over to the Daravi?"

Ghed claims, "No comment"

Murrmurs claims, "Down."

Deedee claims, "I'd be for that."

Anonymous states, "In my mind, violating what is reasonable for the situation for the sake of OOC
inclusivity is what damages quality of storytelling."

Anonymous states, "Unpopular opinion, I know."

Cat is idle.

Temi claims, "Please try to keep it in mind, at least."

Temi claims, "Let's move on to Rey's topic."

Rey says, "My topic is about communication, mainly IC. I feel it is not always possible to meet
people IC due to timezones so I'm concern about people not being able to get involve to the timezone
issue. I was wondering if there might be a way to have an IC pboard or something like it so people
can get involved with each other IC and get updates. The mail system tends to be limited in lots of
way partly because we can't send mail by group and so people get missed. Other times because game
mechanics there is always the concern of more top secret mail being intercept."

Temi says, "We do have a task for sending mail to a guild"

Cat is no longer idle.

Deedee states, "That'd be handy."

Temi states, "I think Eos found that the mail code was a bit hair-raising"

Anonymous claims, "I have noticed that communication can be an issue at times. I do wish there was
an 'IC Pboard' situtation which was, you know, just assumed to be IC."

Temi states, "But it's something we want to be done"

Eos claims, "I looked at it and it was too difficult for me so i postponed it"

Deedee states, "There are, you know, bulliten boards"

Sparkles says, "But yes, being able to include Guilds in mail like you can pboard notes would be a
Dav send."

Temi claims, "We don't necessarily want an avenue of IC information sharing which is completely
safe, though"

Deedee claims, "If you make it clear ICly that certain people should check a board, you can hold
them responsible ICly if they don't"

Temi states, "We used to have guild notes and those ended up being a huge crutch and too perfect
knowledge sysetm"

Deedee nods at Temi.

Murrmurs nods with Temi.

Temi claims, "We can create more IC boards though, for sure, if people want them certain places"

Rey says, "One in the Council Chambers would be nice."

Temi says, "Buy one for your guild, or suggest something that makes sense, if that would help. I'd
love to see them get more love, I think they may get swept aside a lot these days"

Deedee nods in agreement.

Deedee says, "They used to be a bigger thing"

Temi nods at Deedee.

Temi says, "Self perpetuating cycle, I think. People don't check them because they don't have
relevant stuff, and people don't post relevant stuff, because people don't use them."

Temi says, "They are good for certain things people want to go back and check, like listings of what
merchants do what, I definitely see that used"

Murrmurs states, "Small point RE:Boards: Church Square board got used frequently as it as the de
-facto travel-through place. A board at the crossroads/relocation to may help make the board be used
more casually/regularly."

Deedee says, "That's a good idea."

Murrmurs says OOCly, "As it was*"

Sparkles says, "The one in the Queens was popular for a while, then it got eaten."

Deedee states, "Yum."

Temi questions, "I'm not quite sure what happened with it. IC though, yes?"

Sparkles claims, "If it was there was no rumor so ... no one seemed to know."

Sparkles shrugs.

Temi says, "We could probably see it replaced ICly"

Temi states, "Even if something happened IC, that doesn't have to mean it's gone forever."

Temi trails off, "Unless it was something insulting to the king got posted there and he banned it
forevermore... but I probably should have heard about that"

Anonymous states, "I have noticed that not too many people use those boards... at least not in the
time I've been around. I don't really know why."

Temi says to Anonymous, "I think it's that self-defeating cycle, but I don't know how to break out
of it"

Anonymous says, "Maybe because there's no notification that there's a new or edited post on it? I
know pboards tell you if you have a note or something is edited, and that spurs looking.""

Deedee says to Anonymous, "I think Temi explained it well. No one uses them because no one checks
them because no one uses them."

Murrmurs pontificates, "A notice in the room that flags boards which have been posted to since last
looked at could be a fun queue!"

Temi says, "A little room tag about new posts would be interesting... probably hard to do ones you
haven't read... new tracking."

Ghed states, "A mood"

Deedee says, "Moods have been used"

Temi says, "But maybe not as hard to 'if posted to in the last day' or something"

Deedee nods.

Temi says, "The whole writing system is a challenging one though, so I wouldn't expect it to be
easy"

Deedee nods.

Deedee states, "It might need an overhaul overall"

Deedee states, "Ooc boards too, for that matter."

Temi says, "It's not that bad as is, so there's other things I'd rather see get an overhaul first"

Temi says, "But if we wanted new stuff for it, it might need the overhaul"

Sparkles ponders.

Deedee states, "I really don't like how with OOC boards, you can't see a post if someone's editing
it, and if they lose connection or the game crashes, the post is gone"

Temi nods.

Temi claims, "Yeah, that's a bit of a pain."

Ghed states, "There's a way to recover it"

Ghed claims, "If they lose link"

Temi says, "Completely different system, though."

Deedee nods.

Temi trails off, "Anyway! We're out of time..."

Ghed states, "Just write a new note without doing anything else, and you will re enter the in
-process note again"

Temi wonders, "Any last one-line PSAs before I send folks back?"

Ghed says, "If you were the one editing it who went linkdead"

Anonymous states, "There is a Council meeting directly after OOC chat."

Temi pontificates, "Thanks!"

Ghed claims, "Oh excellemnt"

Deedee states, "If anyone wants to do the daily locale, please feel free to send a messenger and
save me from the council meeting. ;)"

Temi declaims, "Alright... sending folks back then! To their counciling and others"

• Information