Log of OOC Meeting: 2021-03-27

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Rey

Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:14 pm

Kinaed claims, "It's hard for me to follow, so if I miss something or don't seem to respond to
something, please ask me if I missed something."

Kinaed states, "Is there anyone willing to volunteer to be our Scribe today? This entails some QP to
post a log of the OOC Chat up on the forums for those who could not attend."

Rey states, "I'll do it."

Kinaed states to Rey, "Thank you :)"

Kinaed states, "A reminder of the OOC Chat Pact: Regardless of what we discuss, we understand and
truly believe that everyone on TI does the best they can, given what they know at the time, their
skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand. We will be respectful of
this and each other at all times."

Kinaed says, "Today's Agenda is:

- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today? If you
register a topic, please pre-write it so you're ready to present it when called upon."

Kinaed says, "I have at least one registered topic from tells. "

Gnomely claims, "I have a topic."

Rey states, "I have a topic"

Kinaed says to Gnomely, "Got you :) number 2 on our list."

Kinaed claims to Rey, "Got you."

Kinaed questions, "Anyone else?"

Lans states, "Citizens."

Jiraiya muses, "I assume mine is the one from tells?"

Kinaed claims, "Okay, let's get started. Last week, I didn't do much. Tried to support the Request
Board for the most part whenever I logged in. Work is busy. This week - I'm planning to support the
Lost Tomb quest and plots people have submitted. If you have a request around that, please see me,
we have some dice rolling to do."

Kinaed claims, "That's it for me."

Kinaed rolled 1d4 for a pool of: 2. [Dy015]

Kinaed questions to Ghed, "You're up :) Can you tell us what you did last week, and what you plan to
do next week?"

Tasker claims, "Hullo"

Kinaed smiles at Tasker.

Ghed says, "This week I did a few phome requests, recommends, typos, other sort of requests and a
brief puppet for some concerned citizens. I also started activating my April staff plot. Some of you
have been getting mail about it IC."

Ghed claims, "I am also reworking some helpfiles which are less than helpful, and uhhh I can't think
of anything else for now."

Kinaed states to Ghed, "Thanks :)"

Kinaed rolled 1d3 for a pool of: 3. [Dy015]

Kinaed says to Temi, "You're up :)"

Temi claims, "Okay! I've been continuing to work on the March plot, as people are working to wrap
up the fate of the children."

Temi states, "New craft this week is for bulk flour, though no real progress on the skill mini
-quests."

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Temi states, "But I have created piles of snow which should now be on a timer for reoccurring every
winter"

Temi states, "And lasting until about the end of winter... so.. Hoping that works right! We won't
know until next year."

Temi nods at Kinaed.

Kinaed says, "Thanks :)"

Kinaed rolled 1d2 for a pool of: 1. [Dy015]

Ghed states to Temi, "Hey awesome"

Kinaed says to Eos, "You're up :)"

Eos says, "I have chipped away on the daily quest spec - the one that randomly picks a public room
for the day and RPing there gives you QP the way a matchmaking hook would. Handled requests, some
phomes, recommends, some pboards... and such."

Kinaed states, "Thanks :)"

Ghed says, "Eos has been helping me this week"

Kinaed states to Salem, "You're up :)"

Kinaed nods at Ghed.

Salem states, "This week I took a break from refactoring to design a new system to roll up butcher
drops, since the old one was not doing what it was supposed to and people were sad about it. That is
nearly done, has a few bugs still and then I'm back to refactoring our code base."

Kinaed claims to Salem, "Thanks :)"

Temi says, "Yeah, the bug was kind of insidious."

Temi nods at Salem.

Baklava nods.

Temi claims, "Numbers were working right, except it was running out of room for the good stuff."

Kinaed states, "I want to say a big thanks for staff's work this week. I know I haven't been around
much, but I think the pbase appreciates your continuing efforts, and I certainly do."

Kinaed muses, "Okay, next agenda item - Player Heartbeat: How was the game this last week for folks?"

Rey says, "It was pretty fun for me."

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed exclaims, "Super happy to hear that!"

Gnomely claims, "It was alright for me, I had some interesting scenes. And have been trying some new
things ICly."

Kinaed nods at Gnomely.

Kitty says, "I have a question/topic. But, other than that, I've been good."

PrettyPink claims, "Getting nice and settled in, enjoying playing with crafting, though only RPing
so far with a few people"

Kinaed states to Kitty, "I'll add you to the list, Kitty. :)"

Cat claims, "I had lots of fun. Been scouring the city for the lizard firends."

Lans claims, "I am having good rp with my great squires and other order members."

Kinaed nods at PrettyPink.

Lans says, "It's so good to have people in the Keep."

Kinaed claims to Cat, "Nice :)"

PrettyPink states, "It feels like every time I have time for another small scene everyone is in a
hidey hole"

Kinaed nods at Lans.

Kinaed comforts PrettyPink.

Violet states, "Been pretty swamped IRL, so grateful to people who have put up with my delegating or
reached out to schedule scenes with me"

Kinaed states to PrettyPink, "Not an uncommon complaint. That's part of why Eos is working on the
daily quest to get people to go RP in special places everyone can access."

Kinaed comforts Violet.

Kinaed claims to Violet, "Thanks for making it today :)"

Eos claims, "I'm more than halfway done - I'm only lacking the thing that gives you QP."

PrettyPink pats Violet

Sparkles claims, "There's certainly been a lot of stuff going on, thanks to everyone who came out to
the party last weekend."

Temi states to Eos, "I bet people want that part."

Violet claims, "Yay Magebane party"

Cat states, "The party was great. Thank you for organizing that. Star."

Baklava claims, "Pity I missed that."

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed asks, "It sounds like TI was pretty good for most people overall. For those that didn't find
it as great, I'm sorry. Is there anything you think we can do to help?"

Lans asks, "How are the website thingies progressing?"

PrettyPink claims, "I think Staff's been doing an excellent job getting people engaged and stuff"

Baklava states, "It's just felt like an empty grid often. But most of my playtime is still happening
during off-hours. Quite excited for that new daily quest stuff."

Kinaed wonders to Lans, "We have a draft available that I gave feedback on ... I want to say
yesterday?"

Kinaed nods at Baklava.

Lans nods at Kinaed.

Kinaed says to Baklava, "Yeah, I've noticed that - I usually log in at around 8pm my time, which is
probably 3amish US."

Baklava states, "Yeah, that's my morning hours. The rougher ones."

Kinaed nods at Baklava.

Kinaed says, "Okay, we've got a lot of topics today - 4 people registered. So to give those topics
time and attention, let's do that. Meanwhile, we'll grab a screenshot of the new website and share
it on Discord if anyone wants to have a look."

Lans says, "Thank you"

Kinaed wonders to Jiraiya, "You're the first registered topic :) Please raise it?"

Temi claims, "So, Jiraiya had to grab food but gave me the topic"

Jiraiya nods to kink

Jiraiya says, "I came back"

Jiraiya says, "So I think there's a perception that if you get into an argument with the Imms you're
on some sort of shitlist forever. And I'll note that I think this is a perception issue rather than
an issue of substance, but I wonder what can be done about it, so when there are disagreements
people take it in stride more and don't hold grudges one way or another. It was brought up by
several players I respect in Galax's reddit thread, and Galax herself mentioned such a disagreement
being an issue with her leaving, so I think the perception is a real problem."

Temi asks, "Ah, back? Excellent"

Temi states, "As far as I'm concerned, I would be delighted to see anyone come back that we haven't
banned."

Jiraiya says to Temi, "Do they know that though? And if they feel they will be treated poorly if
they do come back that can be a problem too."

PrettyPink claims, "I think the main issue is that staff in main RPI games often DO have that sort
of approach, so it's easy to think that you'll get aggressive or subpar treatment in the future."

Eos says, "The question as to how to tackle that misconception is a good one. I don't know how."

Kitty claims, "I fail to understand how anyone - including staff - can control the perceptions of
other people. Some people move past stuff like that, some people hold onto it forever. And, I don't
think Staff is responsible for how the other person takes it."

Kinaed claims, "Well."

Kitty states, "Nor whether they choose to let it go, or hold it to their chest."

PrettyPink claims, "The only way I could think of to attempt to avoid that behavior is maybe a
little bit more communication and clarity in staff interactions"

Temi states, "Well, I'm not sure where the impression is coming from. We certainly didn't say
anything to Galax about not being welcome here. But we can state: if you're not welcome here, you
will have been explicitly told that and banned. We're sorry about any past misconceptions that may
have resulted in feeling unwelcome, but that isn't our outlook."

PrettyPink says, "Some of the things I noticed in that thread, for example, were assumptions that
plot responses are not rolled and just tacked on based on how they feel. Maybe including the options
or chances when you give the results, for example, could totally invalidate that rumormongering."

Baklava claims, "Mmhm.. I do recognize that opinion from numerous topics on places like Reddit.
Where folk talk about their RPEs, look for recommendations, or talk about experiences with those
they've played."

Temi states, "I have started adding what roll results were in more places in plots where I use them"

Ghed nods.

Kitty claims, "From what I saw, Galax posted about that feeling from many levels on the forums, and
I don't remember it being staff-related."

Jiraiya trails off, "The rolls can be the downfall of us sometimes too... ie ianthe"

Gnomely says, "In DnD the only element of surprise is the dice rolls. Downfalls are part of that."

PrettyPink claims, "Her main issue was that she felt her issues weren't being taken seriously or
prioritized, and I feel was mostly just the result that many of the serious issues RE: BGC are Big
Code Problems and simply need to wait for the code to be straightened out, which is a big job"

Eos says, "We're happy about people coming back and we welcome them back. Holding grudges wouldn't
help the game and I think we all spend too much time on it to let something like a grudge ruin
things. "

Temi nods at PrettyPink.

Kinaed says, "What I hope I can say and have be believed is that - Firstly, I didn't realize the
headspace Galax was in or how my note to her would be taken, for what it's worth. I didn't mean to
upset her the way I did with what I wrote. However, moving away from that topic because it's on
Reddit, and Reddit stuff is just nasty (so I avoid it like the plague) - I think there are a number
of people in this room who have had a disagreement with Staff before. I'd like to hope that most fo
you have found that we're not unreasonable. As for grudges - um. For myself personally, I tend to
blow hot then be super forgetful about anything."

Temi claims, "Yeah, we did try to work out some issues with sponsorship, which we found were not
working as intended, and so it got moved to the bug board for actual code investigation."

Temi claims, "Not sponsorship, support."

Temi says, "And the actual issue where things came down was about moving the pawnshop, which we're
onboard with, and wanted to discuss more ideas - the grey zone we hadn't brought up yet at that
point - but the only thing we'd said likely wouldn't be possible was being within three rooms of
crossroads."

Gnomely claims, "That was going to be my topic, actually."

Gnomely grins.

Jiraiya nods to Kinaed and says, "Yah, like I tell people that I've known you twenty years and we've
had blowouts before but always remained friends. So I do think it's perception vs reality. But I
heard negative interactions with staff played a roll in another Tenebrae not feeling they were heard
and quitting."

Kinaed grins at Jiraiya.

Kinaed claims, "That would probably be true."

Kinaed states, "There are long term physical barries to a good play experience in the Brotherhood."

Kitty states, "I just don't know if staff can address things that aren't brought up to them. If the
person wants to talk about it with staff, they will probably get an answer. But most of the time,
people feel slighted, and they just... see themselves out, and don't bother."

Kinaed nods at Kitty.

Salem states, "Also I'm sorry that the Code changes are slow, but we are fighting with a 25 year old
project with over 100000 lines of code and it's just me and Eos mostly."

Kinaed states, "Yes, that's unfortunately the case."

Baklava states, "It may not need to be addressed, but acknowledging it's happened is at least a good
step I think."

Jiraiya claims, "The game balance is always delicate. One that was raised on reddit that was more
genuine (compared to some of the bile there) was klapman's post about concerns about balance in the
other direction"

Temi gives a carved, wooden cockroach toy painted with a racing stripe to Deedee.

Gnomely claims, "I skimmed that reddit thing. And really don't take much stock when people rage like
that."

Baklava questions, "Is there much of a game balance still present?"

Kinaed states to Baklava, "Honestly... I've been a bit stressed with game balance over the years. In
fact, I've recently been talking to a professional game designer and product manager to see what
their recommendations are around some of these things, and Staff are meeting with one of them next
week."

Baklava states, "It's not always rage. You can quite easily pick out the ones who are clearly from
people who only just left their MUD behind and are still angry. And ones who've given it time,
recalculated, and decided against something such as a return in a more composed manner htan 'I was
wronged and this is bad i blame X and Y'."

Temi claims, "Well, the Order vs Mages has been something getting looked at more lately"

Kinaed says, "The specific topic I want to tackle there is game rewards and how to balance newer
player needs against elder player needs."

Jiraiya claims, "I think the balance is poor now but getting better. But what im trying to get at is
people lash out in frustrating, and it escalates, and we lose players. And we need to find a way to
mitigate that. That's all. Not saying it will be solved today though."

Temi claims, "With some improvements there as far as guilds and demons and such. The Brotherhood we
still want to address further."

Sparkles states, "I do think the Grey Zone proposal would help with a lot of that frustration. I
think having a physicial enforced by code and theme barrier between yourself and any of your
potential customers is probably a first major hurdle to overcome."

Temi says, "Yeah, Southside borders were designed as protective barriers, but it keeps out RP too"

Violet claims, "To be clear, @Salem and @Eos, we are SO GRATEFUL for your hard work. I hope that
this hasn't made you feel stressed or unappreciated, because we know you are doing everything you
can and putting in a ton of effort."

Lans nods.

Eos claims, "We are working on fixing the issues the covert guilds have. As stated before, many of
these issues need large code rework, which is locked behind the codebase rework, which will take
time. Please consider that we are a team of two volunteer coders facing a project of 100 files with
an average file size between 2000-3000 lines. So please be patient. We're just as frustrated that we
can't do more at this very moment."

Baklava states, "I think, genuinely, in terms of game balance - mages NEED to win. But that's not
felt true in a long time. There's no uphill fight really, or chance at proper antag when the Knights
are guaranteed to win, being able to strongarm any individual PC, and it must really make mage antag
less appealing. In a perfect balance, I think the game involves cat-and-mouse games, where there's
chase, there's hiding, there's searching. The cat can't hunt without the mouse, and the mouse
doesn't need to hide if the cat isn't there. We need both mages and Knights, and neither should win
dominantly or there's soon just no point in either group existing."

PrettyPink says, "I don't think you need to apologize at all for our massive franken-code, you're
doing a lot."

Baklava states, "But that's a whole other topic, of course. We have to make do with what we can, and
at least we're still a place where people can walk in and expect a positive experience, over walking
into demons massacring on the streets or something :p"

Kitty states, "I think that should be amended to, 'mages should win sometimes'. Which, arguably,
they have in the not so recent past."

Jiraiya says, "Yes balance has gone the other direction at times in the past too to the detriment of
the game"

Baklava says, "Hardly."

PrettyPink claims, "I also think that you are vastly overstating the possible Knight strength. Every
time a mage gets away with magic in public, or achieves a personal goal, they 'win'."

Sparkles questions, "Also what does one define as 'winning' ? "

Tasker sheathes her sword.

Lans states, "Let's not go into the topic of mages vs order right now"

Kitty says, "Order should win sometimes, mages should win sometimes. We had a span of... four
character deaths? Five? Where mages clearly won. And the only reason it stopped is because said mage
turned themselves in."

Baklava nods.

Lans states, "It's a large discussion and I have my own stuff to add to it"

Temi states, "It sounds like the gray zone is being well received, so we'll probably work with the
next Tenebrae and Brotherhood members to figure out how exactly we should address it. And yeah, it
will be interesting to see how the mage balance changes with Sanctum."

PrettyPink states, "Yeah, time and place"

Violet says, "Gray zone sounds awesome."

Eos claims, "We have been searching for and finding non code based solutions, as making demon
summoning fully manual until we can make parts of it automated. As the new guild, for example, and
other measures we have taken."

PrettyPink wonders, "Cool, I think we've finished with that topic?"

Jiraiya nods.

Ghed nods.

Kinaed claims, "I'm not sure what else I can say or do on this one. I can reassure everyone that
Galax gal isn't banned, and to my knowledge none of the Staff hold a hostile view to her or anyone
else simply for being frustrated with how things are. We are also frustrated with our situation.
Many of our staff are new and came into ... old code. A weight of history, etc. We're working on it.
It'd be nice if we could all try to be calm and recognize the situation we're in, and be patient
with one another if we can."

Deedee peeks in.

Kinaed trails off, "Okay, so... in the favor of time, next topic..."

Kinaed queries to Gnomely, "Would you like to introduce your next topic?"

Gnomely says, "Looks like I probably won't need to bring up my topic now. XD I was going to discuss
about the Gray Zone directly. But I think we're at the point where anymore discussion should be done
within the Brotherhood and imms now. Lol. Most of what my idea was talking location, type, and how
it could be done. Which can all be discussed with the imms later, since everyone seems to be on
board with it already! So I'm good."

Ghed says, "You're gonna love it"

Violet declares, "Love it. Great idea. Looking forward to it!"

Ghed says, "See"

Temi states, "I haven't cleared with anyone else yet, but right now I'm thinking a small side area
off King's Concourse where right now the border is"

Temi says, "So that's one possibility"

Kinaed queries, "On that- Temi I think I saw you reach out to the BH to schedule that, or is it just
in my mind that scheduling a sesssion with the BH is an intent?"

Cat trails off, "I will feel sad if I don't get to go see the Grey Zone. Time to build disguises..."

Temi claims, "Move the border to southside down a bit more, make room for fun stuff like gambling
and prostitutes"

Kinaed asks of Rey, "You're up next :) Would you like to raise your topic?"

Rey states, "Yes"

'I had a suggestion regarding race relations. This came up when I explored the different districts
and realized they were so empty. When I asked why, it was stated it was because race relations were
so bad people couldn't go in to RP so they just stop going in the districts. I felt that was sorta
sad. So I have a suggestion that instead of being locked out of districts when the race relations
are bad to instead allow people in but have district shops refuse to sell to them. That way the
areas can still be used and it can have a lot of fun scenes of people being kicked out of shops.

Rey claims, "I had a suggestion regarding race relations. This came up when I explored the different
districts and realized they were so empty. When I asked why, it was stated it was because race
relations were so bad people couldn't go in to RP so they just stop going in the districts. I felt
that was sorta sad. So I have a suggestion that instead of being locked out of districts when the
race relations are bad to instead allow people in but have district shops refuse to sell to them.
That way the areas can still be used and it can have a lot of fun scenes of people being kicked out
of shops."

Ghed hmmms.

Kinaed nods at Rey.

PrettyPink questions, "Can't you get through race blocks by being grouped?"

PrettyPink asks, "If not, can you make that possible?"

Ghed says, "No"

Eos says, "I think that's something that requires a lot of thinking on, considering all that it may
affect"

Ghed states, "I mean you can't. IDK if it can be coded."

Violet states, "I would love to be able to get around it by grouping w/ someone of that race."

Temi claims, "There are ways past them for the most part."

PrettyPink says, "You CAN be carried through"

Kinaed says, "I like that your suggestion isn't just to remove it entirely, which is what we
normally get, but a potentially viable alternative. :)"

Kinaed says, "I think it's worth considering."

Eos nods.

Violet muses, "I like the idea of having a workaround to low race relations. Other options would be
bribing people or using IP?"

Temi claims, "Not really opposed to making it be selling to folks, but would be a code tweak"

PrettyPink says, "And some districts have alternate entrances"

Ghed says, "I like the IP thing"

PrettyPink states, "I know at least 2 different ways to getting into the Vavardi District, and 1 to
get into the Tubori"

PrettyPink says, "That don't require walking past the NPC"

Gnomely states, "Being able to use influence, or coin to bribe NPCs would be awesome."

Ghed pats pats Pre

Ghed claims, "Bah"

Rey claims, "Oh! I like bribery too. that would be fun."

Eos starts editing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Kinaed states, "Okay, jotting those ideas down for staff discussion and potential implementation"

PrettyPink says, "I know the OOC targetting is awful. But yeah maybe allowing other players to get
you through or making sure all districts have an alternate entrance would be nice"

Deedee claims, "Bribery could be good. or instead of throwing you out automatically, maybe (non
-lethal) thugs could attack intruders"

Baklava states, "I don't think it would make sense two random Vavards would attack a nobleman and
his entourage because they traveled their road though."

Ghed says, "That could turn bloodier than even you would like"
Eos finishes her note.

Deedee claims, "And same as animals/southside thugs there's safety in numbers"

PrettyPink states, "Yeah introducing NPCs just means players will kill them"

Eos claims, "Put it on our board. :)"

PrettyPink says, "And players already sometimes do not respect the NPC life is equal to PC life
rule"

Eos says, "Thank you for the suggestion and the cool ideas and input."

Baklava says, "Well. You don't have to murder them. You can just beat them and mercy them."

Sparkles wonders, "The shops thing though could just apply from Class relations, right?"

Deedee claims, "That sounds like RP for reeves"

Ghed says, "Not all npcs have the mercy option"

Deedee says, "To me"

Baklava claims, "Truth."

Ghed nods at Sparkles.

Deedee states, "Remember when you attack non-animal NPCs you still have to 'finish' them."

Kinaed says, "Okay, I've taken a whole list of options there into my notes for staff discussion."

Temi states, "Well, it would require a new flag on the npcs for who they sell to, but could be
mostly copied code from the other option. But still having to find the code."

Kinaed wonders to Kitty, "Are you there and able to introduce your topic, or should I cut/paste it
from tells? (Will wait a few moments before posting)"

Kinaed claims, "Incoming wall of text :)"

Kinaed states, "Okay, will post it from tells: XXXX tells you, "I need to go afk and might not be
here when my part comes up, so here it is: So, yesterday, my activity command said I had 16 hours of
RP, and was on for 36 hours. Today, it says that I have 7 hours of RP, and have been online 18
hours. I've reported this before, asking if it's rolling over on a weird day, but since I haven't
RP'd 7 hours today, nor been on 18 hours, it seems really odd to me that it changes overnight when
rollover should be this evening. I don't know where that note went, but it's a bit odd. Literally,
yesterday I was on the top 10 list, today I'm not. Which isn't the concern - the top ten list. It's
not the first time in the middle of the week that my stuff says one thing one day, and another the
next, cutting anywhere from 10 to 20 hours off of my RP hours. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else
has noticed, because it's buggin' me."("

Kinaed says, "We do have a bug about activity times posted on the bug board."

Baklava nods.

Ghed peers at the coders.

Eos nods.

Temi states, "I don't love our activity system as it is now."

Eos says, "There's... a lot of bugs and limited capacity. But yes it's noted."

Kinaed nods at Eos.

Baklava claims, "The Activity system has always kind of scared and shocked me, lol."

Temi finishes abruptly, "I think it's a rolling 7 days, sort of... but completely reset on weekly
rollover? I've noticed several times where it's not intuitive - and it's screwed me out of being
active some weeks"

Kinaed claims, "For what it's worth - when it comes to activity... for the most part it won't hurt
you if you go inactive unless you're a noble and a GL (which Kitty is, so.)"

Gnomely states, "I was also suffering this similar issue, when Temi helped me out."

Gnomely claims, "Only the thing was I wasn't being considered Active at all."

Kinaed claims, "For example, automatic payments stop, but you can still claim your payments when you

Temi says to Gnomely, "Yours was a different issue with a weird duplicate in master list."

Temi says to Gnomely, "This is just activity being weird"

Gnomely says, "That is weird. O_o"

Kinaed claims, "Beyond that, nobles nad GLs have activity requirements to avoid being pulled off
grid or auto-gambited."

Deedee states, "Bank payments also stop"

Baklava says, "Yeah, I got the Inactivity warning super suddenly myself, despite having been RPing a
day before, and rather actively (for my success) the week before."

Eos claims, "Hello Kitty! Your topic just came up - we have the activity issues noted in our bug
board."

Kitty states, "Last time I noticed it, I went from 33 to 10."

Temi states, "It's an area I have a lot of frustration around, because I don't have a lot of time
for RP on top of staffing, so it often hits me"

Kinaed says, "So what I'd say is... we're aware of the issue and discussing the activity
requirements. There are numerous bugs in the system that we need to tackle and our programming
situation - while better than for the last two years or so - isn't resolved."

Jiraiya states, "I think astral still doesn't count for activity too btw"

Temi states, "But it's also a complicated system in the code, from what I understand"

Kinaed states, "If you are impacted negatively by the activity code, and it's something we can
manually fix, please let us know and we will fix it."

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Baklava claims, "It really bothers me, at times, too. I know I'm not in ideal hours, so if I have a
tough week (work-related, for example), it instantly feels like I'm at a risk to be cut out."

Kinaed comforts Baklava.

Jiraiya nods at Baklava

Violet says, "I don't know what the arbitrary thresholds are for 'Minimal' and 'Low', but sometimes
it's a bit disheartening when you've had 2-3 good scenes during the week and you're still listed at
low activity"

Kinaed nods at Violet.

Temi states, "I think those numbers are compared to overall activity"

Kitty states, "I haven't ever gone from active to inactive, thankfully. But, I have had my hours cut
down significantly."

Temi says, "But I don't put much stock in them"

Kinaed nods at Kitty.

Kinaed says, "Generally, the system is a rolling average of activity, that's snapshotted once per
week."

Baklava states, "I clock lots of online time, generally. But it's hard to convert that into playtime
for me, most of the time. I pretty much hit inactive once every week or two, albeit for only a day,
because it doesn't seem to always calculate up small 10-30 min interactions I can find around and
about."

Kinaed says, "So whatever you see on your whois is the last 7 days of activity. On a Sat midnight
gametime, the final weekly rollover occurs and 'final' numbers are committed for the purposes of
weekly activity. Day to day, it can fluctuate though, if you had a big day last Monday contributing
to your rolling total, and it's Monday at midnight - that time will roll off."

Kinaed nods at Baklava.

Temi states, "10 minutes at a time will add up though"

Kinaed states, "Staff have a proposal tabled to discuss about whether we should move away from RP
time driving activity and back to online time."

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Kitty says, "I... honestly don't think so."

Kinaed claims, "I'm making a note about this issue - it's something we have to be extremely careful
of codewise because activity touches a lot of things."

Violet states, "I do agree with setting RP-based activity requirements for GLs and nobles (because
when they're inactive it can really hurt RP progression and stifle other players), but some of the
activity command does seem silly. It not working in astral, the bugs, the assignments of
minimal/low/average etc."

Kitty states, "Someone can be online and in a private room and completely unavailable to contact
ICly for a month."

Kinaed nods at Violet.

Kinaed nods at Kitty.

Deedee claims, "Maybe online in public areas could work though."

Baklava states, "I like to think that, even when I'm inactive, I've given plenty effort to hook
people in or get some things going."

Temi nods at Baklava.

Sparkles claims, "I really don't think having online time as the measure would be a great idea."

Temi states, "Yeah, that's part of the problem. Some people do, some people... really don't."

Baklava claims, "I've worked on project(s), have plots on the agenda, have contacted various PCs
from Merchant to randoms, tried engaging with almsot every Guild, and so on."

Deedee says, "Online, in public areas, with whererp on."

Kinaed states, "And we've seen GLs do just that for the most part and still manage to meet activity
requirements while not doing the 'substance' of their jobs - and the opposite. Time poor GLs who
manage the substance reasonably regularly, but don't really get a lot of face time."

Kinaed says, "Staff have an agenda item to discuss how GLs are doing and start taking more direct
action, but it's problematic because it's not automated and feels very subjective."

Kitty says, "I don't think it should be just that, either, though. Just because we're online, and
maybe not in public areas, doesn't mean we're not RPing with guildies and doing our jobs."

Kinaed states, "Anyway, we are hitting hte top of the hour - so I want to say a big thank you to
everyone for coming today."

Baklava declaims, "As a past GL, I did a lot of work to the point I definitely did not make myself
too accessible. That was my mistake, and those inactivity hits really hit me as they should. Like
'hey, be out there more with your people!'"

Kitty says, "So, it shouldn't be 'only in public areas' thing."

Kinaed nods at Kitty.

Kinaed claims to Kitty, "Activity definitely isn't about public areas."

Baklava states, "Oh, most certainly not."

Kinaed muses, "Maybe we can continue this discussion next week?"

Deedee states, "Well, RPing OR online in public areas"

Deedee nods at Kinaed.

Kinaed queries, "Or a forum post, etc?"

Kinaed claims, "We appreciate everyone's time to come to these OOC Chats so we can have direct
contact at least once per week about topics important to us all. I hope to see everyone next week,
but unfortunately we're out of time :)"

• Information