Log of OOC Meeting 2022-06-25 (Kinaed's Retirement Announcement)

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Deedee

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:12 pm

Kinaed says, "A reminder of the OOC Chat Pact: Regardless of what we discuss, we understand and truly believe that everyone on TI does the best they can, given what they know at the time, their skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand. We will be respectful of this and each other at all times."

Kinaed says, "Today's Agenda is:

- Staff Updates
   - Player Heartbeat
   - Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today? If you register a topic, please pre-write it so you're ready to present it when called upon."

Kinaed wonders, "No topics today? :)"

Kinaed says, "Okay, we'll kick off with Staff Updates."

Lans looks left and right.

Kinaed states to Eurus, "Why don't you kick us off :)"

Eurus says, "Updated a few spells, with more to come. Fixed a few bugs here and there. Most of my time was on the stealth rework, which should be done and ready for release in the next few days."

Kinaed says to Eurus, "Thank you :)"

Kinaed states, "I hope our mage folk are finding and enjoying the new fixes."

Ghed claims, "He's fixed a lot of stuff"

Ghed states, "Really hardcore work"

Kinaed states to Ghed, "Your turn :)"

Kinaed has transferred trogdor.  [OOC]

Ghed nods.

Eurus says, "Rock kicking minigame while travel is my main priority"

Kinaed gives trogdor some coins.

Ghed says, "I've done requests this week, fixed a few things like Whiff of the Beast not working, got some plots on the docket. Leta is busy busy right now but she has done a sleuth of rumors and requests."

Kinaed claims to Temi, "Your turn :)"

Temi says, "I'm afraid I have been out of cell service range camping, and enjoying some lovely scenery and company, but contributing very little to TI, and I will be back for part two in most of a week, so... get your requests in soon if there's anything in the next week or two that needs my focus."

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed says to Temi, "Thank you."

Kinaed says, "That leaves me :)"

Deedee says, "Here it comes"

Anonymous states, "Uh oh"

Kinaed claims, "Last week, I finished up the stealth spec and handed it over to Eurus."

Lans makes the sign of the chalice.

Kinaed claims, "I also had a discussion with staff, and I'll be retiring as of next OOC Chat. Ghed will be taking over as TI's Implementor."

Kinaed claims, "With that, I'll hand over to Ghed for a few words :)"

Eurus places his right fist over his heart in salute to Kinaed.

Kinaed smiles at Eurus.

Ghed nods.

Tasker asks, "Oh dang! That's a big decision. What brought that on?"

Ghed pontificates, "So, surprise! I am very grateful, very flattered and very honored that Kin has given me this chance. There is a lot of trust, a lot of work and a lot of goodwill going on. She's been amazing and our only regret is -- we can't get enough of her anymore!

So what to expect from me? I'll have good availability, same as presently, and I don't expect this to change for now. I will guide myself through some principles:
-TI's premise will not change. Order vs Mages will remain its core, complemented by the other binomes of Reeves vs Brotherhood, Rich vs Poor and all the ethnicities hating and loving each other. I will however toy a little with all this.
-TI will continue to have staff plots. Following player preferences, we will focus primarily on PvE, and 'soft' PvP. We'll try to get away from the classic villains and explore and breathe more life, instead, less visited facets of Urth, such as other religions or the savages. Just don't expect the samurai kingdom from Super Old TI.
-We have had amazing coding updates, fixes and optimization with Salem, Masnuva, Kinaed and now Eurus. We'll continue with quality of life fixes and we will work to improve gameplay for all guilds. Expect new spells and improving the current ones, but also stuff for the rest.
-With Kin taking a break, policy will be reassigned to someone else. We will announce whom at a latter date. None of Kin's decisions will be reversed on principle; I have trusted her criteria (I've been playing her game after all) and nothing changes.
-I will want to make people want to log to find out what will happen today. I'm not sure how best to implement this but that's probably my main guiding principle.
-Kin has VERY generously covered TI's expenses for YEARS. Please give her a heartfelt applause!"

Kinaed states, "Thank you, Ghed :)"

Ghed pontificates, "*'what will happen today' each day!"

Aprilis declares, "Wow. That's a change!"

Lans places his right fist over his heart in salute to Kinaed.

Tasker places his right fist over his heart in salute to Kinaed.

Aprilis hugs and squeezes Kinky.

River claps.

Kinaed states, "As for what made the decision for me - I've got some opportunities I'd like to pursue in real life, and I don't have enough bandwidth for everything going on career wise, family wise, etc."

Anonymous claps in applause.

Kinaed claims, "I love TI, and I hope you all enjoy it for many years to come. It's generally just time for me. Thank you for being part of my game, everyone."

Temi applauds and cheers.  "Very excited to see where this takes us!  I have a lot of trust in Ghed to be able to lead us in good new directions that won't be any drastic changes from where we've been, but some new life to them, and wish Kin the best in her new adventures."

Aprilis says, "I hope you will come back and play a little, when you can, Kinaed."

Tomato declares, "Thank you for everything that you've done for the game Kinaed! I hope you'll still be around, at least as a player if not as the head staffer"

Tasker muses, "Kinaed has been running TI for as long as I remember, and has been an integral pillar of the community. It is a huge timesink running a game like this, but you did it well I feel. Great project management skills. You will be missed! Will you stick around in the community?"

Kinaed smiles at Aprilis.

Trogdor claims, "Hate seeing you go as Imp, Kin. Love seeing Ghed taking over, though"

Kinaed claims to Aprilis, "I hope to be able to eventually, yes."

Ghed states to Temi, "Thank you."

Ghed says to trogdor, "Thank you."

Kinaed says to trogdor, "Thank you so much."

Dazzl declaims, "I have some really great memories on TI. Thanks for carrying that torch!"

Ghed claims to Tasker, "Preach."

Kinaed trails off to Tasker, "I don't know if I'll stick around in the community. I may well be in the midst of starting my own business IRL, so..."

Tasker declaims, "Oh dang!"

Eurus declares, "Had a lot of fun working in the backend with Kinaed, and also had a lot of fun working with all the other staff too. Happy to work with and help players/staff develop and continue producing a great game!"

Deedee exclaims to Kinaed, "Good luck with your opportunities!"

Kinaed states, "Thank you, Deedee :)"

Kinaed says to Eurus, "Thank you :)"

Kinaed says, "I suppose that's the big news of the day."

Trogdor claims, "I shall burn 1000 mages in your honor, Kin"

Kinaed bows to trogdor. 

Ghed states to trogdor, "For starters"

Tasker says, "DONT"

Kinaed claims to trogdor, "A more fitting tribute from the Order, I cannot imagine."

Kinaed trails off, "Albeit I kind of wonder how you'll know if they're mages..."

Kinaed coughs.

Ghed says, "Arrange it so it says THANKS KIN if seen from above"

Eurus says, "Eh, that's a problem for Dav to sort out"

Lans nods.

Kinaed grins.

River says, "Burn everyone."

Trogdor states, "They'll be cleansed either way, they'll thank me in the afterlife"

Ikeala says, "That always assume they know one way or the other. ;)"

Ghed muses, "So! Any inmediate questions?"

Urtha muses, "What does this mean for Hosting, the Inquisition IP, and the code's future longevity. Will the code be open sourced so it can live on even if the new arrangement doesn't? "

Ghed claims, "I'll let Kin answer that"

Kinaed says, "I've paid for TI's host for the next three years."

Trogdor asks, "What's the transition going to look like? Like, one day it will be Kin and then Ghed?"

Kinaed claims, "I've agreed after that either Ghed will pick up the costs or he can move the game elsewhere."

Aprilis states to Kinaed, "Oh my gosh. Bless you."

Kinaed states to trogdor, "I've also agreed to pay 2 months of a marketing campaign to see if it'll work for us."

Kinaed claims, "Oops, that wasn't intended to Zarif, but will answer Zarif's question next."

Kinaed states, "Ghed has access to all TI existing documentation and repositories, but is welcome to create his own."

Kinaed claims, "Handover."

Kinaed claims, "Handover will be at OOC Chat next week."

Kinaed states, "Between today and next week, any handover activities that need to happen will happen. There's not a lot."

Kinaed claims, "As of OOC Chat next week, Ghed is your new Implementor."

Kinaed claims, "I will deleting Kinaed's pfile and sailing off into the wild blue yonder."

Aprilis says, "Oh snap."

Kinaed claims, "Maybe I will return one day :) If I do, it's still Ghed's game."

Tasker claims, "Naaaah! Turn yourself into an NPC so it's always there in OOC meetings."

Kinaed states, "By agreement, I will take a download and backup of the code next weekend."

Deedee questions to Kinaed, "Can everyone still blame you when we need someone to blame?"

Kinaed claims, "That is my final copy of the code that I own. Everything to come after belongs to Ghed."

Tomato says, "I think by default that falls to the new implementer, ghed is the new 'thanks obama'"

Kinaed says to Deedee, "Go for it, albeit I doubt it will feel as satisfying :)"

Dazzl snickers.

Trogdor states, "Thanks ghed"

Trogdor says, "... sounds alright, nice. easy. "

Ghed says, "Lol"

Temi says, "I'm sure things will be different over time, but I'm not expecting a big change all at once, and everything Kin did definitely helped to bring us here.  So all the good stuff will be partially her fault too :)  "

Kinaed states, "Any other questions that I can answer? I will make sure my contact information is up to date in HELP EMAILS."

Tasker states, "This has given me the proper brain scrombles"

Kinaed comforts Tasker.

Kinaed says, "I think a change for TI will be good to get the juices flowing for everyone. Something a bit creative."

Tasker says, "Is this when Ghed begins his new reign of terror "

Anonymous states, "Maybe"

Kinaed comforts Anonymous.

Tasker says, "The beatings will cease when morale improves "

Kinaed has transferred Murrmurs.  [OOC]

Kinaed gives Murrmurs some coins.

Anonymous trails off, "Seeing as how lithmores morale is currently pathetic..."

Anonymous says, "Got a long way to go"

Eurus states, "So many more beatings"

Eurus says, "Mmmm"

Anonymous states, "Maybe ill start a project to conduct beatings until it improves"

Deedee says, "The lash code is in."

Kinaed says to Murrmurs, "You may have missed it, but I've announced that I'm retiring from TI next week."

Kinaed wonders, "Okay, we ready for the rest of OOC Chat?"

Trogdor asks, "There's more after this?"

Taxius says, "I hope you will be successful Kinaed."

Kinaed states, "Well, no one registered any topics."

Kinaed states to Taxius, "Thank you. And also, thank you for everything you've done for TI as well :)"

Temi states, "I guess the rest of OOC chat depends on if the rest of you have more."

Temi grins.

Taxius claims, "Maybe I will program for it again, if I feel better. My life is just all over right now. Exams."

Kinaed nods at Taxius.

Kinaed says to Taxius, "I'm sure you'll do well :)"

Tomato claims, "I'm not sure if this came up in a prior ooc meeting but I had a question about the stealth spec if we have time"

Kinaed declares to Tomato, "We do! :)"

Kinaed nods at Tomato.

Ghed perks his ears.

Kinaed states, "Here it is if anyone wants to follow along: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Cvb ... o4O5g/edit"

Tomato claims, "There was a portion that said there would be no auto-hide checks, but then instantly after stated a situation where it would auto-hide check in some instance, let me find the specific"

Kinaed states to Deedee, "I clarified your question re: hiding behind objects, they're not REQUIRED, they give a bonus (I missed your question when you asked on OOC channel because I went afk)"

Deedee claims, "Thanks"

Tomato says, "Ah here it is, it says 'If you are hidden, people entering the room will roll a perception check to see you' which directly conflicts with 'there are no automatic checks to find hidden people' just after"

Kinaed questions, "What page?"

Deedee claims, "Actually I think my question was"

Tomato muses, "So I wanted to know which was true? Does everyone get a shot at finding you upon enntering, or ONLY when they search using the command"

Deedee questions, "Why does the object have to be furniture?"

Tomato states, "Page 7"

Ikeala claims, "To have a relative object of proper size, I'd imagine. So people aren't trying to hide behind apples or pieces of paper."

Anonymous states, "What if i had a REALLY BIG piece of paper"

Deedee claims, "There's a size attribute for objects though, seems like that'd be better to check"

Anonymous claims, "That i was using as one of those paper wall divider things"

Eurus states, "What if it's a big piece of paper with somebody else drawn on it"

Anonymous states, "What if the big piece of paper with somebody else drawn on it POPS UP after you trip over a string"

Anonymous muses, "And it says 'kept you waiting, huh?'"

Ikeala questions, "What object do you imagine would be big enough to work that isn't furniture?"

Eurus nods.

Kinaed claims, "On a non-sneaking player entering a room, there is no hide check - if YOU enter a room and hide, the players in the room may perceive you *IF* you are not sneaking. If you enter a room and are sneaking, then they have ONE check to determine if they see you sneak in."

Trogdor states, "A dragon"

Taxius says, "I think the auto checks refer to the reroll you get everytime you type look. It's an oof."

Tomato claims, "Ah the way it is written makes it seem that if you are hidden in a room, and someone enters, they get a free roll to see you upon entry"

Kinaed claims, "Let me clarify, thank you."

Tomato claims, "Which seemed to directly go against the point of hiding"

Ghed claims, "A chocolate statue"

Ghed states, "Like McBane hiding inside an undersized Ice Sculpture in The Simpsons"

Kinaed claims, "It's a good catch. I probably wasn't thinking clearly by the time I got to page 7."

Kinaed declares, "Thanks!"

Deedee claims, "There's statues and such, yeah. My first thought was trees in forest rooms."

Ghed states, "Https://tenor.com/view/mcbain-gif-24296699"

Tomato states, "Everything else seems great, I'm excited to see it in practice"

Murrmurs states, "I was wondering if there would be any sort of bonus for folks who use hide in street rooms? Presumably streets aren't vacant spaces, but they generally lack objects to codely improve hide odds."

Ikeala wonders, "The lamp posts maybe?"

Temi claims, "People hiding in wardrobes, all that fun stuff."

River claims, "That's how you visit Narnia."

Kinaed says to Murrmurs, "I copied the bonuses that Niamh suggested back in the day, will look through them. "

Temi says, "Nah, only if you keep going."

Eurus says, "Narnia is where the whorlwhales are"

Tomato states, "Hiding on streets would likely be 'blending in' rather than ducking behind a barrel"

Temi nods at River.

Kinaed nods at Tomato.

Kinaed states, "Codewise the differences are probably a level of grainularity that won't benefit the game though."

Ikeala wonders, "Also has there been any thought on how to address the "people instantly search an empty room if their XP gain changes' factor?"

Ghed says, "Of course"

Deedee claims, "I'll just carry a crate with me to crouch under."

Anonymous says, "Ill carry a cardboard box"

Anonymous claims, "Never understimate a cardboard box"

Kinaed claims, "Thought about it doesn't mean it's fixed though. Having said that, it's clearly, CLEARLY using OOC info."

Deedee nods.

Kinaed states, "Ideally we would eliminate glitches like that where people can find OOC info to act upon/etc"

Kinaed has transferred Flower.  [OOC]

Deedee muses, "Does going AFK still announce to the room when you're hiding?"

Kinaed gives Flower some coins.

Kinaed claims to Flower, "Today's big announcement is that I'm retiring next week and passing game ownership to Ghed."

Kinaed says to Deedee, "Probably ought not, I'll add a note."

Taxius says, "I would like to address something towards that as a topic."

Flower makes plans to spend her money, then looks in shock to Kin. "Oh my! I'm surprised!"

Taxius states, "For like the hiding and invisibility."

Kinaed smiles at Flower.

Kinaed states to Flower, "It's been a good run, but it's time. :)"

Kinaed turns her ears to Taxius. 

Flower hugs Kinky.

Dazzl has lost link.
Dazzl has reconnected.

Kinaed hugs Flower back.

Trogdor muses, "Kinky, eh?"

Taxius claims, "So, I have found that people spying in a scene don't really add to the current scene. Especially people under the cloak usually don't emote at all and hence aren't even notice for being there at all. It makes spying extremely safe, but is not enhancing the rp in that scene. But you get full rpxp if you sit and think to yourself in such a scene. I think that puts the Mundies at a severe disadvantage. Perhaps rpxp gain should be limited for hiding or invisible people should be limited unless they emote/hemote. As a thought. "

Kinaed nods, "I think that's true, yeah."

Kinaed says, "Not entirely sure what we ought to do about it, happy to hear player thoughts."

Tomato claims, "It does somewhat fall on the people also in the scene to try to include people, a cloaked person sometimes is worth commenting on or trying to include"

Trogdor trails off, "Ugh, can't believe i am saying this.... but....... they may not contribute directly to a scene, but relaying the found information or distorting it does encourage other RP"

Tomato says, "I regularly RP on my alt with literally anyone in a cloak southside as it is 'normal' without question or comment"

Kinaed nods at trogdor.

Ghed says, "They don't mean a normal cloak I think"

Tomato states, "If you're going to just sit and spoop as much as I hate it, just be invisible/hide and don't be mad that people tag you if you're just literally Some Guy standing in a scene"

River claims, "If they don't give rpxp or get rpxp unless they emote/hemote it solves the knowing-people-are-there thing just off rpxp gain, too."

Anonymous trails off, "You cant exactly emote if you're hidden without revealing yourself... which kind of defeats the purpose"

Tomato says, "All emotes turn into hemotes while hidden"

Tomato says, "With a stealth bonus if you are sneaking"

Murrmurs claims, "RE: XP: Mages already gain no xp for astral scenes."

Taxius states, "To tomato I mean a spell. It makes you not visible. You won't show up when entering or on look."

Ghed nods at Murrmurs.

Tasker asks, "I could've sworn we did... it just does not show on the RPXP gain prompt?"

River says, "I've noticed that I do get exp for astral scenes."

River claims, "You just don't see it until you return to your body."

Tomato claims, "I would say that people using that spell might need to think about how easily they can legitimately just stand somewhere and not be noticed then tbh"

Murrmurs is corrected.

Kinaed states, "So mages do, yes."

Tomato claims, "Standing in the middle of a busy bar would be very hard if you're invisible"

Kinaed claims, "Maybe we should do something like that for sneaking. Not have it show on RPxp counters until the person un-stealths, then add their XP that'd been kept somewhere."

Kinaed states, "And no bonus shift to the room so no one notices."

Flower states, "Lots of running into an invisible wall. "

Trogdor queries, "I figure they just hang upside down, like a bat, from the rafters. isn't that how mages do?"

Tomato claims, "So it might not be out of place to hemote a bit as you get out of people's way etc, that would be a good-faith way to interact if you're worried about it"

Deedee claims, "Sounds fair."

Tomato says, "Or else also sneak/hide mechanically, even if you're invisible, to justify why you are out of the way"

Tasker says, "How the hell did Trogdor find that out"

Tasker questions, "Someone snitch?"

Eurus claims, "My bad"

River says, "Secretly also a mage."

Eurus claims, "We were talking about fruit bats and it just kinda slipped"

Deedee states, "Fruit bats is my new term for mages."

Murrmurs wonders, "RE: hidden emotes: The issue sounds like a trust one, more than a mechanics one? There are folks who'll faceslam search the moment there's anything mechanically suss, and other folks who'll play with it"

Taxius states, "I think for a spying spell the info should be reward enough. It doesn't need rpxp on top of it. And if it enhances the following scenes then that rewards you with rpxp there. That's just my personal take though."

Anonymous states, "While we're on this"

Ghed says to Taxius, "We're aware, but it's good to know players are concerned too."

Murrmurs says, "Which is to say, do get folks wanting to force hidden/invis to emote, but also get not wanting to have to engage in a scene while trying to be hidden from it."

Anonymous states, "Its practically impossible to eavesdrop on a location in a room while hidden (and i assume while invisible) because you'll get noticed even if they cant see you on look"

Urtha is idle.

Urtha is no longer idle.
Urtha has returned from AFK.

Ghed wonders, "It's being worked into the stealth spec, I think?"

Deedee claims, "Oh yeah."

Tomato claims, "I personally take issue with people randomly spying on sometimes super mundane conversations when they could just be there engaging and giving me something more to RP with, but that's because I've had several super boring conversations blatantly spied upon"

Eurus states, "It has not, but we can roll it in while I'm in the area"

River states, "Kinda agree with Tomato."

Deedee muses, "Did eavesdrop ever get fixed?"

Tomato claims, "By all means, I get spying for the juicy stuff but like we could be interacting as character if you just wanted to hear my character talk about his day"

Anonymous claims, "Consider that they probably dont know when or where the juicy stuff is happening, so they come by hoping to get juicy stuff and get boring stuff by accident"

Kinaed claims to Deedee, "I don't think we understnad what is wrong with eavesdrop."

Deedee claims, "Eavesdrop from another room didn't return anything useful even with the ear horn the last time I tried it"

Kinaed claims, "There was a bug post that didn't have a log. It was unclear if the issue was a range issue or related to language code, or something else."

Ghed nods at Deedee.

Kinaed claims, "It may need a review/rewrite, yeah."

Kinaed states, "But in terms of 'fixing it' - unclear what the root cause is. Probably some logical fallacy on the way it was designed. :)"

Taxius claims, "Also the listening in thread on join spots spams everyone with high wis. XD"

Tomato says, "Last I knew, eavesdrop was still mega broken so might require a look at, I pretty much never use it"

Kinaed nods at Tomato.

Kinaed states, "I definitely think it's something worth fixing."

Tomato claims, "It seems that people eavesdropping on join spots notify you every emote that they're listening, so that might need to be redone"

Deedee states, "Hiding and snooping isn't only useful for listening, but also watching by the way"

Lans nods.

Aprilis has returned from AFK.

Lans shudders at the memories.

Trogdor claims, "I like to use it when i can because it's hilarious watching people awkwardly pause while the froggy one ineptly listens in on their conversation"

Trogdor trails off, "Oh, i think i said the quiet part out loud..."

Anonymous says, "Well its kind of hard to tell the grand inquisitor to piss off"

Flower laughs.

Trogdor appears to be the picture of innocence.

Kinaed claims, "Actually, that's the easy part. It's surviving the toasty flames afterwards that's hard. :P"

Anonymous says, "Ah thats okay"

Anonymous claims, "Just be good enough to beat lans"

Anonymous states, "Then they cant flame you"

Anonymous evillaughs

Kinaed claims, "We have 10 minutes until the top of the hour."

Ikeala says, "I think the overall conversation might be about "one sided RP" if that's a proper term for it."

Aprilis asks, "Off-topic, kinda, but does anyone know if you can change your action while hiding without it pinging the room? (Asking for a friend)"

Anonymous says, "You can"

Ghed nods.

Kinaed claims, "You should be able to yes."

Aprilis claims, "Yay."

Urtha wonders, "Will Ghed's characrters step down from any IC leadership positions that they might currently hold if necessary so that he doesn't hold both Imp and Player power? "

Murrmurs questions, "Associated, are room movements also suppressed when hidden?"

Murrmurs -totally- is not interested in attack ranges.

Anonymous states, "Yes they are"

Eurus claims, "I believe steps/move, move direction are"

Tomato queries, "Room movements should be hidden by sneak, I think... action still shows to the room? Unless that was fixed after I reported it"

Tomato says, "Rather, sneak rolls a check for every 'thread' on any threaded command that I've tested, and if you fail it there's a chance someone will see"

Eurus nods at Tomato.

Tomato states, "So you can sneak, and it will roll a sneak check for every 'hide' thread of hiding, for example"

Tomato says, "Though the new way changes that, of course"

Temi says, "Staff are already limited to a single character with power, and we do have a short number of guildleaders in general, but it will be up to Ghed to make the final decision on making sure there's no conflicts.  Other staff will still handle anything regarding Ghed's characters"

Kinaed claims, "When the playerbase got extremely low, we reduced the staff no-GL rule to allow staff members to have 1 GL/noble if there was no one else who wanted the role. So, Ghed has no obligation to step down if he has only one GL OR noble (or noble GL) in game. However, staff are still bound to have no more than one 'powerful' character."

Kinaed says, "I did not discuss with Ghed if he intended to retire characters or anything of that nature, so I'd say it's a question he'll have to think on."

Murrmurs states, "Probably worth benching sneak stuff until after the new spec is implemented then."

Eurus says, "Well, sort of"

Tasker states, "He has control of the senate, he is too powerful to be left alive."

Anonymous claims, "He must stand trial"

Eurus says, "If you find any bugs/things you reported and haven't heard back from, feel free to bump the notes or make new ones"

Eurus states, "That way I can get it all fixed/tested along the way"

Tomato claims, "Guilds in general are not exactly hopping right now, but likely if the guild gets very busy I can't imagine GLing on top of IMPing will be very fun"

Eurus claims, "Since the overhaul won't change action displaying to the room, for example, so it's still good for me to know about that one"

Ghed nods at Tomato.

River states, "I've found staff playing powerful guild-leader type characters to almost inevitably be a pain point in previous muds. "

Kinaed nods at Tomato.

Kinaed nods at River.

Deedee states, "Original TI, too"

Tomato says, "Understandable point"

Kinaed states, "Yeah, for a very long time on TI, we prohibited it. It was only because the pbase shrank so much that we allowed it."

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Temi states, "I imagine our policy will still be mostly to avoid it, except where keeping things running, and still keep it limited."

Trogdor states, "It's a no one situation. if they don't play, then they lose touch. if they do play, people assume the worst (rightly or wrongly) at a certain point, you have to trust that the staff aren't bungholes"

Tomato claims, "I can't say I mind it very much, if only since the character's agenda has remained exactly the same from pre-staff days, on top of being outed as a staff character non-consensually"

River claims, "I wonder how many staff characters currently are GLs or nobles or whatever? Perhaps it could be reduced. Something to think about it. It usually leads to players viewing it with suspicion, even if they aren't brave enough to voice it."

Anonymous claims, "Mmmm"

Murrmurs doesn't mind.

Dazzl has lost link.

Tomato claims, "I actually prefer staff playing and being active and knowing what the hell they're giving input on tbh"

Ikeala says, "But also ... if we want in some esoteric thought more people to want to take over some of IC positions, we have to foster new players. And we aren't always the best at that. "

Murrmurs nods with Tomato.

Kinaed nods at Tomato.

Anonymous claims, "While I feel I shouldn't talk about who and who isn't a staff alt in a position of power, I generally agree with river."

Anonymous claims, "And my opinion is absolutely tainted by being royally burned by another game who has a staff member in a position of power abusing his abilities for IC gain"

Kinaed claims, "I have mixed feelings."

Anonymous says, "Like yesterday"

River states, "Oh, yeah. Not suggesting you tell me. Just saying I don't know who is a staff alt."

Flower says, "Given we have empty GL spots presently it bothers me not for staff to GL. "

Taxius says, "I think fostering new players would be good. I enjoy teaching scenes a lot."

Anonymous states, "Lots of guilds dont have a 2nd gl right now, and bards dont have any gls"

Kinaed claims, "The core reason I opened this version of TI was sitting down with the last implementor of TI who ran it between my stepping down last time and my spinning up this game. I seem to recall he had something like 5 of 7 GL roles."

Temi nods at Kinaed.

Tomato states, "I think as this is a new situation its touch and go, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on"

Temi claims, "It was why I stopped playing there back in the day, too."

Anonymous questions, "In fact... is there even a single troubadour member at all right now?"

Kinaed trails off, "And I said to him, "Why are you holding all of those roles, it means 1) you can't do them all well, and 2) the entire game is... one person's perspective, and the fun is when perspectives come together to create a story'"

Tomato claims, "I'm a troubadour member! I just need to be re-coded up, I went inactive"

River claims, "I saw a bard once."

Kinaed claims, "The response was that he'd let some of those roles go when they got new players, and I knew that would never happen."

Eurus states, "I generally think any Staff with an alt in 'power' would be glad to step aside with an advent of new players/existing coming into those roles"

Murrmurs nods with Eurus.

Anonymous claims, "So im going to give an unpopular opinion here"

Kinaed says, "So I opened TI: Legacy (Legacy referring to the fact that our code was literally legacy code)"

Trogdor states, "I don't think it's a problem until it's a problem"

Eurus claims, "And most of us prefer playing supporting roles and helping other players get their moments in the sun"

Tomato says, "I think I see benefits in both staying and leaving, tbh, both sides have merit"

Kinaed states, "And I made a rule that Staff couldn't GL."

Anonymous declares, "I think that having GL spots open and available isn't as bad a thing as it may seem, because it immediately says to new players THIS COULD BE YOU!!!"

Anonymous says, "Thatshow my firs tcharacter ended up with grand magnate"

Anonymous says, "Thats how my first*"

Kinaed states, "On the flip side, for me, it meant that the people who were the most productive, rock solid players who earned their way up into becoming staff... couldn't play their own game to the highest degrees."

Ikeala claims, "That can be super overwhelming to some new people though."

Tomato states, "I personally think that new players typically don't understand the theme very well, and shouldn't be in charge of controlling other new player's experiences"

Tomato states, "It usually goes very badly"

Kinaed says, "And the only reason for that is fear players have that we might do something, or suspicion that we might."

Elise claims, "Also most of these roles have been open for awhile and no one has been interested in them. So leaving them open doesn't seem to be helping."

Deedee claims, "Sometimes, and sometimes they do a great job"

Kinaed claims, "It's not a fear without foundation, but it's not overall beneficial."

Anonymous states, "At some point you gotta take off the kiddy gloves and let new players take the reins"

Anonymous claims, "Otherwise we're just armageddon"

Kinaed nods at Elise.

Anonymous says, "Arbitrarily limiting roles behind 'karma' (experience)"

Trogdor asks, "Am i still considered a new player?"

Tomato claims, "Literally never played it, thank god"

Anonymous claims, "Doubt it"

Kinaed says to Anonymous, "TI's player GLs far exceed staff GLs."

Anonymous states, "Im not saying they dont"

Kinaed claims, "Ghed is aware of the history and the reasons things are the way they are. I believe he will make wise decisions there."

River wonders, "You have to leave a covert guild if you become a guildleader, right? You can't be a normal guild member in one, a guildleader in another?"

Kinaed claims, "The balance of power at the highest levels is, at least at this point in time, largely in player hands."

Anonymous says, "Yep"

Anonymous claims, "Cant be a GL in a covert guild and a regular member of another guild"

River says, "That might also be something holding some characters back from assuming a leadership role, if it were ever offered to them."

Elise claims, "That would invite a lot of crossover."

Deedee queries, "Is that only due to code, or a policy choice?"

Eurus says, "I think the general premise there would be to ensure GL's are not splitting attention multiple ways"

Tomato says, "It's to assure the GL gives their guild the proper attention"

Anonymous states, "Im pretty sure its a policy choice"
Kinaed muses to Deedee, "Which thing?"

Kinaed nods at Tomato.

Deedee says, "GL when cross-guilding"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Kinaed claims, "As Tomato said."

Aprilis begins to count their money.

Anonymous claims, "Me personally, I wouldn't have a problem with covert GLs able to have regular guild membership as a cover, same as the regulra members"

Kinaed claims, "Policy, not code. Albeit it was code for a long time."

Temi nods.

River queries, "If they aren't giving their guild proper attention, isn't that what gambits is for?"

Kinaed says, "I dare say that Ghed may re-examine some things that may have been settled for a long time for me :)"

Aprilis states, "I like too, Anon. Harder for people to meta-deduce who is what, as well."

Anonymous states, "It does sort of tip the hand oocly if you are a white-name and not in a guild and yet somehow seem to be on top of things or be very active."

Kinaed claims, "Oh, I'm sorry. We've gone over time :)"

Kinaed states, "Once again, thank you for coming to OOC Chat, everyone."

Tomato states, "GLs dual-guilding doesn't make the most sense thematically, though"

Aprilis waves.

Anonymous questions, "No? wouldnt a leader also want a good cover story?"

Kinaed says, "Next week will be my last day, but as I said, I'll put my contact information in HELP EMAIL."

Flower exclaims to Kinaed, "Best wishes on your future ventures! <3"

Tomato claims, "People shouldn't metagame based off of visibility in guildlist or not"

Kinaed exclaims, "Thank you!"

River claims, "That has nothing to do with theme though."

Eurus waves.

Tomato claims, "It's not hard to bribe a GL to say 'yeah shes a guild member'"
Anonymous waves.

Kinaed trails off, "Okay, sending everyone back in 3..."

Deedee waves.

Aprilis claims, "Also true, Tomato."

Anonymous claims, "Theyd be breaking policy to do it. gls have to be loyal to their guild"

Kinaed trails off, "2..."

Kinaed trails off, "1..."

• Information