How to ROLEPLAY the Davite Religion

A place to find maps, walkthroughs, and other assistance on how to play TI Legacy. Contributers will earn Quest Points in game!

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:27 am

We get a lot of questions and attempts to fill in the Davite Religion, in large part, I think, because people feel a bit of a loss on how to demonstrate that they're Davite in game.

I think it's about time, in practical terms, that we have a post telling people how to roleplay the Davite religion. I'd like this to be a thread where people add dot point tips for things that are accepted Davite behaviors (or maybe warnings about what NOT to do).

So, without further ado, here is how I play a genuine Davite:

- My character believes Davite superstitions, and will reference them in RP.
- My character will bathe frequently and try not to be caught dirty in public.
- My character will seek a member of the Order in which to give confession.
- My character will make the sign of the chalice when magical events, or events she interprets as magical are mentioned.
- My character may reference doing activities like attending mass, reading the Erra Pater, taking confession.
- My character will attend pyrings and/or mass regularly.
- My character will vocally support the church and condemn those who speak or act against it.
- My character will overlook, downplay, or explain away injustices or flaws within the church or church policy.
- My character will report any known mage or magical occurrence to the Order.
- My character will likely put loyalty to the church before relationships with friends and family.

OOCly, if I found myself not doing these things for in-game reasons, I'd classify my character as a likely heretic. There's nothing wrong with being a heretic, just with getting caught - and I'd look for violations of the above to decide (especially if I were playing a character designed to root out heresy).

Applesauce

Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:48 am

- My character WILL be sure to wear a hat when entering the cathedral. Bare heads are inappropriate in Lithmore, can't count how many times I've seen people REMOVE their hat upon entering mass.

- My character WILL say "Lord bless," and NOT "Dav bless" when wishing people well. Really it's already questionable whether the LotS (defined as hands-off and not omnipotent) blesses anyone, so dead kings definitely do not.

- My character WILL feel good about pyre events. Burnings aren't punishment or done out of spite or hatred; it's the only way to purify the tainted soul. It's a good thing that their soul is no longer bound to unclean blood, and can rejoin the Lord of the Springs.

- My character WILL act appropriately for his or her station. No putting on airs as a commoner, and no refusing proper courtesy as a noble (or gentry trying to assume noble status).
Last edited by Applesauce on Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeita

Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:45 am

Davism so infuses everything in TI's world, that it really informs an entirely different worldview. However, here are some core things that are particularly Davite in my view, largely informed by a slew of religious lifers and pious characters (not always both.)

Some of this list will duplicate some of the spirit of Kinky's post:

- My character will respond to the supernatural, magic and strange phenomena with fear and superstition and seek refuge behind the protection of a cleric or knight.
- My character will try their hardest not to sin. If they do, they'll feel guilty about it and confess.
- My character will respond negatively to overt sexual behaviour/seduction attempts and other temptations to sin.
- My character will be modest in how they dress. Long skirts that don't show those scandalous ankles!
- My character will be insular and incurious about how the world works and about other cultures.
- My character will pray regularly for small things, for other people and selfish reasons.
- My character will hate hate hate the Daravi. They want to destroy everything we hold dear!
- My character will hate mages for the danger they pose to us, they will fear mages for their evil could be lurking behind every corner and they will pity mages for - they cannot control the fact that they are tainted. Heretics are the scum of the Urth for they choose their taint- but perhaps they can be redeemed.
- My character will take the word of a priest or higher cleric as law, unless they are given good reason not to.
- My character will watch for corruption and heresy cropping up within their neighbours and community, but WILL embrace their community unless given reason to doubt it.

Inertia

Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:51 am

- My character will make the sign of the chalice at the end of prayers, when pyres are lit, and other events and instances where indication that confirming obedience to the Lord of the Springs are appropriate. (Rather than as a warding symbol.)

- My character will feel cheated if s/he doesn't get some juicy details about what happened that lead to a mage being taken to the pyre or a criminal to be punished in public. Spiritually, s/he is tasked with guiding a wayward citizen back into the fold of the community, which is difficult without knowing how they've strayed. Learning what a mage has done before they're cleansed reminds my Davite how important it is that every soul have a chance to purge its sin through confession before death. It also strengthens her fear of and caution around suspected witches. And practically, this is a relatively uncommon form of entertainment and, perhaps, the only sort of 'gossip' that isn't frowned upon by the church.

- My character will observe a moment of silence when candles burn blue. (help davite hours - vigil)

- My character will attend as many public social events as possible in support and celebration of the community.

- My character will be familiar with saints or at least one saint whose story is appealing, looking up to them as a role model and attempting to emulate their behavior or focus on their cause.

Dice

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:16 am

To take a different angle on this thread. Assuming my character is a devout Davite...

- If my character finds out a loved one is a mage or heretic, they will NOT say "It's okay because I know you're a good person." They will instead believe they must be burnt/cleansed somehow, and there are several ways they might come to that conclusion.

* If my PC is very theologically sophisticated, they would reason that magery occurs regardless of moral character, as an inborn taint, and good or bad the person cannot be saved without the pyre; any rationalization this person uses to avoid the pyre is just that, a rationalization due to fear of death (or a rationalization due to the taint's grasp on their soul).
* If my PC is more or less average in theological consideration, they're liable to decide that concealing this secret/lying about it, instead of agreeing to go to the pyre, means they AREN'T a good person after all and they need to be burned like all mages.
* If my PC is uneducated and only really knows the surface level of Davism, they're likely to decide that all mages are evil and this person should be burnt.

- My character WILL pray frequently or regularly, but NOT in the expectation of the Lord, Dav, or the saints actively helping them in any way. The Lord of the Springs is a passive god whose one great intervention was in telling the truth to Dav, so it's pretty silly to hope he'll suddenly step in for your little troubles. Instead, they will pray by considering the example set by the Lord, Dav and the saints - a sort of "What would they do in my situation?" - and beseech their example for the grace and strength to act accordingly. 'Lord bless' means 'may the Lord's example light your path and show you the way', not 'may the Lord ensure good things happen to you'. I.e., don't pray for intervention, pray for inspiration.

- My character will NOT shun a branded heretic, unless their understanding of Davism is highly superficial/uneducated or they believe the heretic is not truly repentant. Instead, my PC will endeavor to bring heretics back into the fold by guiding them in the right direction, trying to help them re-integrate into society as a good and productive citizen.

- My character will NOT consider other people's faith to be their own business, or preach acceptance of all different views and peoples. This may seem kind and tolerant to a modern-day viewpoint, but to a Davite, neglecting the soul of another is the least kind thing you can do. A proper amount of chastisement and intolerance of lesser sins will keep people from continuing down the road to ruin, and ultimately save their soul. As it is so easy to fall from grace, all good Davites must help one another - so, yes, your friend's faith IS your business!

- My character will NOT rebel unduly against the social order. The average person in general shouldn't, accepting the superiority of nobility s logical - but devout Davites have all the more reason to. If we strive against the social order, we create disharmony and discord, likely inducing others to sinful acts - spreading corruption and taint wherever we go.

Chuckabeth

Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:23 pm

I'm wondering about Hillish Davism. This is me wondering specifically about my character of course, but I think the answer would be useful to anyone playing a Hillish Davite. I understand that the Hillmen are fully converted to Davism, but their ways and customs are also very different from those of anyone in Lithmore. How does a Hillish Davite show their devotion? Or anyone else whose culture is very different from Lithmorran, but still believes in Davism?

EDIT: I read up on on the Hillish Faith help file, being previously ignorant of its existence. Now it's clear that there are many old clannish legends and semi-religious customs that have been integrated into the newer Davite faith. I'm very curious to know what those are! It's quite important to my character in particular, after all. If these haven't been written, I'd be more than happy to work with staff to help flesh out the basics here, but I also understand perfectly if you do not want my help. In any case, I find this kind of world building to be fascinating and very fun to delve into! I hope for an answer soon!

Azi

Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:37 am

Chuckabeth wrote:I'm wondering about Hillish Davism. This is me wondering specifically about my character of course, but I think the answer would be useful to anyone playing a Hillish Davite. I understand that the Hillmen are fully converted to Davism, but their ways and customs are also very different from those of anyone in Lithmore. How does a Hillish Davite show their devotion? Or anyone else whose culture is very different from Lithmorran, but still believes in Davism?

EDIT: I read up on on the Hillish Faith help file, being previously ignorant of its existence. Now it's clear that there are many old clannish legends and semi-religious customs that have been integrated into the newer Davite faith. I'm very curious to know what those are! It's quite important to my character in particular, after all. If these haven't been written, I'd be more than happy to work with staff to help flesh out the basics here, but I also understand perfectly if you do not want my help. In any case, I find this kind of world building to be fascinating and very fun to delve into! I hope for an answer soon!
Hillish clans are pretty insular, so I just make up my own clan lore for Almaz on the fly - if you've got a high lore skill, you can go into her tradepost to get one of the fables out of her clan that came into play during the Farin Quarter crisis. If you don't have a high lore skill you can still look at the ed descs and get the gist of it. There's also a lot of leeway in the sorts of heroes and monsters they'd have in their stories because most Hill clans live near the tainted Orkin woods (that's why they hate magic so much).

If you want to bring some of your ideas IC and canonize them, it would be really cool to see an IC book that was intended to be like, a missionary's collection of Hillish fables (your character doesn't always have to be the one writing your book submissions). You could probably get creative with how a Davite might reinterpret such stories to be more overtly Davite (and thus appropriate/not heretical) with demons and saints and mages while still hinting that it wasn't always that way. You get a buttload of QP for books, too.

• Information