Engineering

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

BlackSoul566

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:33 am

So essentially, I've been chewing on a new crafting skill. Engineering being working with gears, pulleys and other things of medieval science. This would be the knowledge of making crossbows, clocks, torture devices, catapults, hidden blades (except to prevent copyright stuff, the blade comes out and would be touched by the back of the hand, not the palm) and other things that kind of should be a thing at this level of technology. Considering the world has the knowledge of how to heat metal, vent the smoke and basically provide blacksmithing, I think it would be reasonable to assume they'ed have this sort of technology as well. Also, the church already has a large bell, which is a pulley.

This skill would likely have items they would need to obtain from both Woodworking, Blacksmithing and maybe some from Leatherworking. From blacksmithing, things like spikes, gears, rods, blades, etc etc. Then from Woodworking would be things like crossbow frames, chairs and so on.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=874

^ Someone suggested traps in that one... I think they should fall under Engineering.

Puciek

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:48 am

Sounds like it could be just some more recipes for whittling and blacksmith. I mean why wouldn't a smith make parts for xbow or other metal parts, and then have a whittler put it all together (or vice versa)? I mean I really do not see putting those things together as separate skill, especially since how many recipes we are going to realistically have there, especially if parts will come from other professions?
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

BlackSoul566

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:59 am

I guess that comes down to 'how realistic' do you want to do it. Way back when, that's how it probably would have worked. Though, more than likely if you were a solo engineer, you'd learn blacksmithing, leatherworking, and woodworking in addition to Engineering. However, none of the crafting recipes are solely in one range or another. I could see most of these things being either wood working or blacksmithing, but way back when it would have been it's own profession.

Puciek

Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:10 pm

Well my problem is that the engineering skill would have very little recpes, even if we allowed to crafting all sort of medieval oddities beside the siege weapons. Simply because there was not that much of things to build for engineers for day to day life, have a look https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_technology and a lot of even that short list would certainly get you burned on TI.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Dice

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:49 pm

I'm with Puciek - I think most of what this skill could create would be sort of background/not very valuable, and the interesting stuff would be too far out of theme.

• Information