Game Concept: Infamy/Notoriety

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

galaxgal

Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:01 pm

This is loose draft of a concept that has been knocking around in my head the past couple of days.

Right now we have a lot of new, abstract systems that represent a character's social influence. Support, subversion, IP, etc. Characters who want to become "more powerful" are highly motivated to make lots of IC friends, rank up in a Guild, be as popular and loved as possible, etc. This really discourages criminal/heretical play as most of these archetypes of characters will still spend ~85% of their RP time maintaining their 'legitimate' friendships to get the influence and cash they need to do things like city metric votes, being an influential supporter, etc.

It also discourages lawful types from being genuinely oppressive or 'scary' to deal with as antagonistic Inquisitors or Reeves are quickly and easily ousted by their opposition now that they no longer need to be killed to be ousted.

My suggestion is a parallel track to Prestige along the lines of 'infamy' or 'notoriety' that provides benefits to characters who are 'dangerous'. For instance, for criminals/mages committing crimes in public (ie ones that report to reeves/knights), successfully stealing, putting casting unpleasant spells on people, fulfilling black market jobs, etc. And for law enforcement types, things like arrests, public punishments, and so on. Similar IP, wealth, and cosmetic benefits apply, and criminals wishing to hide their identity could create a 'infamy alias' and attach the cosmetic flair to their concealed sdesc if desired.

To discourage serial griefing, ranks would decay more slowly than prestige and strict limits would be placed on the amount of potential infamy gained from actions that harm or annoy player characters, like theft or assault.

I would be curious to both player and staff thoughts on this idea as a general concept.
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

Taunya

Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:08 pm

I've suggested something similar before, here's the thread for some more thoughts: https://ti-legacy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2099

galaxgal

Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:51 pm

I thought I had heard the phrase 'notoriety' before in reference to TI, but couldn't pin down where. Thanks. I didn't know it was rejected in the past, either; as far as I can tell it happened completely silently.
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

Taunya

Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:06 pm

The phrasing came to mind since there was a 'notoriety' system on a MUD called Modus Operandi on CompuServe. Its system was a bit different though, and I don't remember exactly how it worked/what it did. I think both good and bad deeds were tracked on it, though.

Edit: Found some info on Modus. Seems their notoriety system was basically just an experience system. http://roleplayman.itgo.com/helpfile.html
But, good name for a prestige/reputation type system. :)

Lei
Discord Handle: Lei#3876

Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:28 pm

I am such a great fan of this concept. Yes, yes, yes.
Old As Dirt

• Information