Three improvements for blind players

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Puciek

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:16 pm

I just got my friend to join the game and received a great feedback about what the game is lacking in term of supporting blind players (which is quite big player base when it comes to muds) so I'm replaying his ideas (using forums for him is problematic).

1. Separate commands to return just some stats. So i could type "rpxp" and it would return mine rpxp, same for hp, mv, pose and so on. Hearing prompt every time is not so good, and disabling/chaing it every time is not an optimal solution.
2. Last emotes. Similar to the history (and my idea of last which returns only some of what was posted before, not all). Sometimes you will skip an emote in the mess and currently there is no way to re-hear them without asking for a repost on tell.
It should bring last 5-10 says/emotes that he was present for.
3. Some sort of blind-friendly map. In one mud I saw a sort-of travel that was available to blind players, so maybe upgrade the range on it for them (so they can travel to anywhere in the city from any point)? Reading ansi maps is really problematic :).

That's all for now.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Applesauce

Thu May 02, 2013 1:18 am

Puciek wrote:I just got my friend to join the game and received a great feedback about what the game is lacking in term of supporting blind players (which is quite big player base when it comes to muds) so I'm replaying his ideas (using forums for him is problematic).
Nice :) He's not the first blind TIer, I'm surprised these ideas haven't come up before. Heck, I would like #1 myself, blind or not. Maybe something like score stat, so you could quickly get "score hp", "score mv", "score rpxp", "score active", basically most or all of the individual fields. Easier than visually parsing a whole screen's worth of stats.

Geras

Thu May 02, 2013 1:09 pm

From what I understand, the evoke command is very unfriendly to people using screen readers.

• Information