Free string recolours/long strings

Specifically for code or policies you would like to see implemented.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

astronamika
Discord Handle: amika#6326

Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:12 pm

Could we get a command to recolour strings and tweak long strings?

I was reminded that it's difficult to be a crafter if you're vision impaired because colour strings are a lot more work to coordinate, especially with xterm now. A recolour command would allow players who purchase crafts without colour strings to add their own, so having uncoloured crafts wouldn't be discouraging.

Same with the long strings - retooling those for free still wouldn't change the short desc (ie what the object actually is) but would encourage picky players like me to buy more premade furniture and other decorative objects and apply a concise 'long' string that integrates with the room description (it'd also just make it easier to add personality to a space!).

Deedee

Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:26 am

I like these ideas. And I think I heard long descs are free to restring on AE?

The free color restring might be difficult to implement, though. Perhaps removing the restrictions on unfinalized items so that they can be mailed and such would be a fair solution to help crafters who can't see color.

astronamika

Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:07 pm

Deedee wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:26 am
I like these ideas. And I think I heard long descs are free to restring on AE?

The free color restring might be difficult to implement, though. Perhaps removing the restrictions on unfinalized items so that they can be mailed and such would be a fair solution to help crafters who can't see color.
yep! both of these were implemented on AE - an object didn't need to be retoolable to recolour the string, i think because it just checked to make sure the string without colours matched the original string without colours

River

Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:05 pm

Sounds like a great idea to me. I wouldn't even mind if it allowed redoing the colors of already colored items. I think it might encourage purchasing individual items of apparel because the buyer could then recolor it to fit into an existing outfit.

monolu

Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:49 am

River wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:05 pm
Sounds like a great idea to me. I wouldn't even mind if it allowed redoing the colors of already colored items. I think it might encourage purchasing individual items of apparel because the buyer could then recolor it to fit into an existing outfit.
I think this sounds great! I've definitely felt deterred from buying an item before because the colors didn't quite match what I had going on.

astronamika

Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:49 pm

I've already accidentally finalized a messed up long string, so I'm officially invested in this >_>

• Information