Some Ideas

Specifically for code or policies you would like to see implemented.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Gnomely

Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:42 am

Hiya folks, your friendly neighborhood garden gnome here.

So, I had a few ideas floating in my head for a little bit, and finally decided to slap them up here on the forums for discussion.

So, thieves, this was a hot topic in a meeting recently and most of these ideas are drawn from that.

First, fences, I'm in favor of adding more fencing locations around the town, places that people don't have to feel threatened to go into if they wouldn't, by logically IC they wouldn't be caught dead there. I was thinking maybe some hoity-toity 'antique store' somewhere in along northern stretch of streets. In order to make it more appealing, but not outright perfect, a guard mob could still be present that functions like a Brotherhood patrol mob, but only attacks people who are redlisted, as opposed to everyone not a freeman? This could use some more fine tuning, and discussion, perhaps. There's also potential of putting a fence outside the city, somewhere too.

Another thought I had, that might make life a wee bit easier for being sneaksy little hobbitses, perhaps we could update the 'slip' command to allow for people to slip things into people's inventories? It would be based on Steal, of course, but give a bit more freedom on how the Brotherhood might be able to set up contacts that aren't directly through the mail. It also helps to do be able to do this to people who can't immediately be identified. Granted, yes, it can likely be abused, but since steal is a Brotherhood thing anyway... well, I don't think it'd be *super* problematic. Though final judgement is the imms.

The last thing I can think of on this topic, is giving the Brotherhood something else they can produce that no one else can. Though would require them to secure the supplies to do it? By stealing, and dealing? Like thiefy tools. Smoke bombs. Etc. I dunno. I've always been fond of the idea of trapmaking.

galaxgal

Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:25 am

FYI&A, I did leave a request board asking if BCG can choose where the Fence shop goes.

The one that currently exists is a legitimate business outside the SS border, but it's out of the way and unintuitive to reach and the Roster entry makes people think it's Freeman / SS only.

I honestly wish certain parts of Herbalism (but not the skill wholesale) could become BCG-exclusive or Guildskilled somehow. It's still really weird to me that Northsiders can learn to brew poisons and make uber-illegal recreational drugs entirely on their own, and that learning to do so involves... making bouquets and taking care of purely decorative flowers.
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

Gnomely

Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:52 am

Making deadly poison should definitely be barred from non-Brotherhooders. But the issue there becomes that anyone with poison will be accused of being Brotherhood, which is why I think it was opened to everyone. I think Temi mentioned that in the meeting.

galaxgal

Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:06 pm

I want to say that one's actually softlocked behind BCG's control over two specific herbalism ingredients, but can't be 100% sure as the game's matrix of crafts is p. complex for my small brain.

There's a lot of little combat things like throwables that are often associated with BCG but ironically anyone with a garden can make them, some exclusive ones might be nice too but they aren't going to see much use if they aren't somehow cheaper or better than public ones.
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

Gnomely

Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:01 pm

Another idea I had thought about, but forgot when I posted this. Was the ability for smoke smells to remain present in a room for a time. Like I know we can do moods, but moods don't time out fast enough. They should also cling to you like perfume smells, too, but wear off faster. Or if you bathe.

Basically the room would come up as:

"The smell of <insert smoke smell here>" clings to the air. And slowly over time, gradually get thicker, if it's like an indoor room, which slows the timer as it dissipates. Or something to that extent.

Having reasons to smoke drugs for more then just stat boosts would also probably help increase their sales.

Gnomely

Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:50 pm

Another thought I had, was since we can't actually shoot from room to room/throw from room to room.

Is it possible we could get arrows/bolts/knives as items that can be dipped in poison? It really seems odd (though I understand it from a strict mechanical issue) that we can't dip things in poison. I would suggest though, to prevent abuse, make it ONLY dip one arrow, or one throwing object. Also bar people from dipping more then one at a time.

Grappling hooks would be neat for climbing.

And straight up just more roof exits. XD

Gnomely

Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:19 am

Adding onto a previous idea I threw here, on the idea of dipping weapons in poison:

What if it was a Brotherhood Only command, that functioned in a specific room of their base. In the vein of trademark, or something similar, that also goes away once it hits once with a chance for the poison to be ineffective, or goes away after X amount of IC days. For the moment, anyone can get herbalism, and the like, right? So it would make sense that only the Brotherhood would know how to lace weapons with poison. It's possible that perhaps they could get some antidote crafts too? Maybe Antidotes to some of the more deadlier could be Brotherhood only?

Also taking all this in, would probably allow for more weapons classes to be dipped, but still a limited amount per use. Especially on ammunition and throwables.

• Information