Restrain for treatment

Specifically for code or policies you would like to see implemented.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Deedee

Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:49 pm

Could physicians get a restrain command that doesn't report as a crime, similar to the arrest command for reeves and order?
Perhaps it could only be used in hospital-flagged rooms.

It would be helpful for unlocking commands such as take, feed, place, and inflict, and so on that would be useful in treatment RP.
I worry that since the Madison is a patrolled area, if we attempted such with the restrain command we'd get swarmed by reeve NPCs. ;)

mystry

Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:50 pm

Deedee wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:49 pm
Could physicians get a restrain command that doesn't report as a crime, similar to the arrest command for reeves and order?
Perhaps it could only be used in hospital-flagged rooms.

It would be helpful for unlocking commands such as take, feed, place, and inflict, and so on that would be useful in treatment RP.
I worry that since the Madison is a patrolled area, if we attempted such with the restrain command we'd get swarmed by reeve NPCs. ;)
I can very easily see this being abused. I would say that if a patient is causing enough of a fuss that you NEED to restrain them, do so and explain to the Reeves if they show up to make a stink about it.

Deedee

Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:07 am

It's not about fuss, it's about enabling commands to assist with RP. For example, inflicting cuts or burns when doing bloodletting or cauterization.

NPC reeves clobber first and ask questions later. 😱

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:55 am

What the intent might be and how it could be used are different.

Being restrained means people being able to give you deadly poison without the ability to reject it. Or being able to use inflict at whim on you to whatever level they feel like.

If I had to take that risk whenever I went to the Madison for something that should be able to be RPed without coded injury, I'd be personally -less- inclined to go for RP not more.

mystry

Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:21 am

Deedee wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:07 am
It's not about fuss, it's about enabling commands to assist with RP. For example, inflicting cuts or burns when doing bloodletting or cauterization.

NPC reeves clobber first and ask questions later. 😱
Yeah, I would honestly still say no. Even as someone who has done medical RP as the Physician. I would just say in osay for them to use inflict or whatever on themselves to illustrate what's going on, rather than try to restrain. If I'm going to restrain someone, it means that they're deserving it, as in being a psycho or thrashing around or threatening someone or something like that.

Deedee

Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:07 am

mystry wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:21 am
Yeah, I would honestly still say no. Even as someone who has done medical RP as the Physician. I would just say in osay for them to use inflict or whatever on themselves to illustrate what's going on, rather than try to restrain.
That's what I do presently when it comes up, but I think it's immersion-breaking for both involved when you have to OOCly hand them the scalpel and go "Okay, wield that and 'inflict self arms 10 /self is nicked with the scalpel.' then hand it back."
Starstarfish wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:55 am
What the intent might be and how it could be used are different.

Being restrained means people being able to give you deadly poison without the ability to reject it. Or being able to use inflict at whim on you to whatever level they feel like.

If I had to take that risk whenever I went to the Madison for something that should be able to be RPed without coded injury, I'd be personally -less- inclined to go for RP not more.
If they're uncomfortable, they could simply not submit to it. Initiating could act more like carry than arrest if need-be. Simply accept or reject without having to fight back. And I'd say the point about poison is somewhat moot for physicians- they could already slip a deadly poison to a patient if so inclined and I don't think most would give a second thought before quaffing it. 😉

But on the other hand, some people would want to leave things to the doctor. Not long ago I had a patient come to the Madison to have a limb amputated, and it could have gone much smoother with such a system. I guess one alternative could be to use the ST system for it, but it would preclude spontaneous RP that way, needing to be arranged OOCly first to get a ST setup.

galaxgal

Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:09 pm

For context to those who don't know, there is a 'carry' command that lets you tow people around and requires consent. This would be similar.

If you don't trust your doctor not to poison or maim you... well, I don't know why you'd trust them to feed you medicine or use sharp pointy bits to stitch your wounds in the first place.
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

Starstarfish
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:56 pm

Not long ago I had a patient come to the Madison to have a limb amputated, and it could have gone much smoother with such a system.
That seems like kind of a super rare fringe case wherein more consent discussion than normal was going to be needed (and possibly staff help/involvement).

Everything that people want to RP for Medicine does not need to be given a coded injury. Personally, most of my best RP with Physicians as the Doctor or the patient has been for/with conditions that did not codedly exist (or cleared up in code far quicker than the RP.)

Deedee

Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:43 am

Starstarfish wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:56 pm
That seems like kind of a super rare fringe case wherein more consent discussion than normal was going to be needed (and possibly staff help/involvement).
Not really, no! The scene flowed naturally from the patient's poses. The only awkward part was the OOC juggling of instruments to do the self inflict. Staff did end up having to change the damage type afterwards due to a bug, but it wouldn't have needed them otherwise.
Everything that people want to RP for Medicine does not need to be given a coded injury. Personally, most of my best RP with Physicians as the Doctor or the patient has been for/with conditions that did not codedly exist (or cleared up in code far quicker than the RP.)
Not every medical scene needs a coded injury no, but having coded injuries can be helpful in plenty of circumstances. Otherwise we wouldn't have an inflict command to begin with!
Likewise, restraints makes a lot of sense in a medical context and would be useful in certain scenes, but it's just not currently possible in the Madison due to conflicting code. It would load reeve NPCs and attack the physician trying to help the patient. 🤣

While I could just have the flags that do that removed, I'd like to keep them to protect patients from murderers/kidnappers while they're vulnerable, but still allow Physicians to use the coded tools that can support the RP.

• Information