Age Disability

Specifically for code or policies you would like to see implemented.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:28 am

For example, the average life expectancy for a wealthy person at the top of society, like a noble or a king or someone rich enough to pay for healthcare, was only about 43 years for women and 48 for men. It was frequent for commoners to die in their mid-30s, and anyone living into their sixties was rare. Life was a lot more harsh on people without the modern benefits we have today; it's one of the reasons why they would marry young, at fifteen or sixteen, sometimes even younger.
So something pointed out in many a previous thread is that Lithmore is not an exact equivalent to actual historical RL medieval Europe. First and foremost every playable PC is more or less assumed at least be somewhat functionally literate. PCs don't play serfs or slaves. We have a far more varied diet the almost every PC can afford. So the life of your average Freeman is already far, far different than your average medieval peasant without even comparing it to modern times.

That being said if you wanted to a do a comparison the -when- and the -where- is highly subjective. I'd be curious where the 43/48 numbers are coming from. During the Bubonic Plague era, certainly but before or after? It would range between mid 60s and low 70s. Anyone who lived to 21 could expect to live into their 60s.

But again ... it raises the question is realism actually the reason for this to be coded? Or is it as a way to weaken older characters as suggested? Because again the age of the character is not relative to their playtime or the longevity of the player/account.

galaxgal

Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:55 am

It's true that a player can choose to be older at chargen.

They can also choose to be Charali or Hillman, choose to spend RPXP on the Steal skill, or any number of things that will make them socially or statistically worse off in the long term.

I do not know the "intent" of the aging system. I do, however, know what its effects are, and those effects are that it limits ancient characters who have been able hoard more money, code skills, IC intelligence, and rolodexes of Supporters than unestablished newbies could possibly fathom.

It has demonstrably been not good for the game's long-term health to let this holding pattern continue forever, if we are in a position to even discuss such a thing.
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

wimple

Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:08 am

Players are not immediately turned into a pile of goo at 45. Impacts from aging are most prominent in lower learn slots. My character is mid to late fifties, but I don't remember my maxed master and my grandmaster skills dropping to a lower rank immediately. The character is mid/late fifties now and the master has finally fallen to adept, but grandmaster is still master. Given the number of combat skills I have in those ranks, my character would likely be fine against a non-maxed younger opponent. So unless there has been changes and age disability is a far larger kneecap, I'm wondering if this is a matter of age disability turning people to goo or people's skill/learn selection turning people to goo.

I agree with galaxgal, I think if people decide to play older, it's like choosing Charali/Hillman or anything else that comes with a disadvantage, and that is age disability. Chances are someone wanting an elderly character is probably not going to make them combat oriented, anyway. And from what I can gather in this thread, most of those sharing experiences with age disability are in the long-term player category. I also agree with galaxgal that these players are generally entrenched in the game enough that a lack of combat skills does not make them any less dangerous, even those of us that do not hold high guild roles or prestige.

Kuzco

Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:00 am

Alright I guess I'm convinced. It's true that being older grants you prestige over age 30, too.

Geras

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:56 pm

Wimple wins.

• Information