Spell Idea: Mindleech

Specifically for code or policies you would like to see implemented.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Spookster

Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:38 pm

Spell name: Mindleech

Difficulty: 50-60 Void/Lunare

Obvious Invocation: YES

Description:

The mind is the domain of the Void, and sufficiently advanced practitioners of void magics are known
to invade the thoughts of others. With this spell, one can not only invade another's mind, but bring
something back with them. Upon use, it forms a leech like link between the mage's mind and the
target's, and will slowly absorb knowledge of the specified skill for the mage's benefit. The target
does not lose the knowledge or skill that is being stolen. However, this spell is exceedingly
obvious to the naked eye, and notoriously difficult to maintain. The target must either submit to
the leech willingly or be restrained to not break the delicate tether between minds.

OOC Mechanics:

Requires a restrained target or a target to SUBMIT to the spell. Codedly functions almost
identically to a TEACH session, except the rate of learning depends entirely on the mage and not the
target, and the mage can gain pool in the skill past what the target is normally capable of
teaching, bypassing the charisma barrier. Example: Target has 70 Charisma, and can normally teach up
to 49 in a skill, normal students at 50 or above in the skill cannot gain benefit from them
teaching. With this spell however, a mage can gain pool in the skill up to the target's skill level.
With the same example, if the target had 50 in Mercantilism, the mage could learn up to rank 50 in
Mercantilism, but not gain pool if the mage were 51 or over.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:58 pm

Given the difficulty at times in having mage/non-mage interactions I wonder if this would better or worsen that problem.

And what's to prevent mages just using this on one another to up skills past normal Teach barriers thus bypassing the importance of Charisma or the Teach skill slot?

Spookster

Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:04 pm

Starstarfish wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:58 pm
And what's to prevent mages just using this on one another to up skills past normal Teach barriers thus bypassing the importance of Charisma or the Teach skill slot?
Nothing. Beyond needing to use 2 learn spots for void/lunare, and if you aren't a void mage yourself, learn the spell from one -and- find someone with the skill you want whom is willing for you to use it on, which carries its own risks. It's meant to be better than mundane teaching, and a method by which a mage can forcibly take knowledge from a captive.

Nana

Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:43 pm

This would add a motivation to capture a target for an IC goal that isn't PK. I imagine a lengthy antagonistic RP session would follow and leave the victim with questions - who was that? What did they want? What are they planning? Narratively speaking, this can be very beneficial to the game.

River

Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:54 am

Sounds fun. I'd enjoy having leeches put on my brain.

Myrella

Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:10 am

River wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:54 am
Sounds fun. I'd enjoy having leeches put on my brain.

• Information