Log: The Betrothal (Troubadour play)

Post logs, pictures, poetry and more. (Please request the permission of others before posting logs about their characters. Thank you!)

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kuzco

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:15 pm

The Betrothal 

"Without further ado then, The Troubadours present The Betrothal!"  Elizabethany gestures
dramatically to the stage behind her and scampers off-stage into the wings.

[Action: Elizabethany waits in the wings just off-stage.]

Count Kirill von Dmitreva arrives with a bounce in his step and a smile on his face. After accepting a playbill, he
makes his way down the aisle to the front row of seats and takes his place among the audience, just 
in time.

Count Kirill von Dmitreva sits on a front row of velvet cushioned seats for the elite and nobility.

Act 1 – Scene 1

[Action: Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant stands on stage, performing. ]

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant, Lord Michail, appears. He is clad in a nobleman's court costume
complete with a velvet greatcoat, august and aristocratic in his demeanor and stride, with a light 
makeup to approach his age to someone of about thirty years old, rather than the man's actual late 
thirties. He walks on stage as if, perhaps, handling his highborn affairs, as per his confident hand 
gestures to unseen, but assuredly obedient and loyal attendants and courtiers.

And then, Theodora op Arcenant, Lady Taisiya, crosses his sight.
  Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant appears to be adept at acting.

A freckled woman with blue eyes and woven hair presses her lips faintly, rising from her seat as
Count Kirill von Dmitreva arrives and dipping into a curtsey, though she soon turns her attention back to the stage 
and slides back into her seat. She's mum the entire time, settling a playbill for The Betrothal 
written on fine blue cardstock back into her lap as she draws in and releases a breath, teeth 
pulling briefly over her bottom lip.

A doe-eyed teen girl with cropped flaxen hair notices that both a svelte, umber-haired maiden with
regal features, and Count Kirill von Dmitreva, and others have somehow acquired playbills, but hasn't figured out 
who is handing them out, or where they're coming from. She cranes and leans a bunch to try and 
figure it out.

Theodora op Arcenant breathes in and then slips from backstage and makes her way onto the stage
properly to take her spot with a clatter of her high-heeled shoes.  [Join]

Theodora op Arcenant stands on a side of the stage emboding the stock character of the charming
coquette. Her movements are exaggerated to accentuate her being light and dainty and her hands are 
held out at the wrists at her sides as she steps about lightly on the balls of her heeled shoes. She 
smiles as she looks about her long kohled lashes brushing against her cheeks.
  Theodora op Arcenant appears to be proficient at acting.

[Action: Theodora op Arcenant stands on the stage performing in the play. ]

A svelte, umber-haired maiden with regal features (Elysaveta) rests a playbill for The Betrothal written on fine
blue cardstock in her lap, turning her attention to the stage after the minor fuss made over Lord 
Count's arrival. The beginning of the play catches her interest wholly, pale eyes watching the 
actors and their Vandagan costumes and scenery with a curious air.

[Action: Count Kirill von Dmitreva is seated comfortably in the front row, a playbill for The Betrothal written on
fine blue cardstock held loosely in one hand. ]

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant the man can't help but to stop and gaze in wonder, in awe, struck by
her beauty, the flawlessness of her femininity -- enamored, in one word. And thus he sings to her, 
to her and only to her:

"Oh beauteous sight
A noble delight
I think I must meet
This damsel so sweet
That I'm reeling."

"So fair as a rose
With cute button nose
I think I must tell
This beautiful belle
What I'm feeling..."
  Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant appears to be adept at singing.

As the play begins, a slim ladylike woman with straight jet black hair subtley quiets her baby down,
who by the way is still enthralled by the card stock. Her own eyes look towards the stage, and check 
on the baby by her side from time to time, her hand gently resting on his lap to make sure he does 
not wander off. [a slim ladylike woman with straight jet black hair]

Perelle ab Symons begins playing a fluttering whimsical, romantic tune as Poet Laudate Norrig op
Arcenant sings, carefree with optimistic and passionate youth.
  Perelle ab Symons appears to be proficient at woodwind.

A freckled woman with blue eyes and woven hair slides her attention aside briefly to a doe-eyed teen
girl with cropped flaxen hair as she searches about, offering a faint smile before passing a 
playbill for The Betrothal written on fine blue cardstock over, then simply reaching for another and 
refocusing on the stage.

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant twirls in, perhaps, surprising dexterity for a man of his size and
bulk. Eyes alit with wonder, he moves in that particular motion towards Theodora op Arcenant, his 
Lady Taisiya, and seeks to hold a hand with her own, smaller and slender, to dance together.
  He appears to be a master at dancing.

Theodora op Arcenant seems deeply moved by the song and the dance of Poet Laudate Norrig op
Arcenant and shes swept up with him. She steps up onto the tips of her toes to move in time with him 
and her eyes close. Even though the woman does not move a great deal from her spot, her footwork is 
clearly precise and practised. She gently sways from side to side with a swish of her velvet costume 
and then swivels on her feet to look up at him with a bewildered sort of smile.
  She appears to be a grandmaster at dancing.

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant looks into his beloved's blue eyes as the pair dance like birds of
the same summer. His voice is masculine in a good baritone as he intones:

"A gloominess awaits me
Unfulfilled and so alone
Now that I have met you
A new notion has grown
I don't think I could bear it
If I went back on my own."

"But wouldn't it be lovely
If our lands might be allied?
The heir to his barony
With his lovely noble bride,
Beautiful and gracious
Standing ever by his side."

Theodora op Arcenant in a warbled, coloratura soprano the woman to norrig:

Oh to be a baroness,
Beside such a clever man
 And one day tell our children
 This is how it all began
Someone find a bishop!
 I am fain to post a bann.

In her enraptured excitement the young woman seems all but threatened with the vapors until her
reverie is broken.
  Theodora op Arcenant appears to be adept at singing.

An imperious voice calls from offstage: "Daughter!" [Calanthe op Valencia (RPYell)]

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant smiles broadly at Theodora op Arcenant's eagerness, as if a central
piece of his life's puzzle had just been figured out in the woman before him. He bends his body and 
inclines his head to delicately and chastely kiss her hand, before letting her go slowly.

Theodora op Arcenant pauses and looks longingly at Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant and down at the
kiss on her hand with a faint sigh and then she turns to scamper off to the sound of the voice.

A frigid-looking Lithmorran with gray eyes (Eiran) quietly moves through the room, taking up a seat in the
front row, nearby to Count Kirill von Dmitreva, he settles in, brushing some of the rain drops from his cloak.

Apprentices scamper across stage, adjusting the props to set out some furniture in front of the keep
portion of the backdrop and make way for a scene change movement of actor. [Elizabethany]

Act 1 – Scene 2

As the scene ends and the next is set, Calanthe op Valencia moves out of the wings to stand within
the interior of the keep. [Calanthe op Valencia]

[Action: Calanthe op Valencia stands coolly before an ornate, throne-like chair. ]

New scene. Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant, Lord Michail, beams with pride, joy and fulfillment. He
approaches Calanthe op Valencia, Countess Nadezhda, also Lady Taisiya's mother. He bows lightly at 
her, and expresses in a clear, masculine voice: "My lady, I have come to thee to ask for thy 
daughter's hand in holy marriage! My lady, our love is chaste and pure, you must say yes! My lady, 
our happiness is in your hands!" [Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant]

A rigid, dignified melody follows as Calanthe op Valencia enters the stage, in tune with her steps. 
[Perelle ab Symons]

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant stops moving as he finishes speeking. It's as if he had frozen in
place -- though of course, he breathes and blinks when he needs to.

Incredulity writ across her features, Calanthe op Valencia turns away from Poet Laudate Norrig op
Arcenant as he freezes in place, and cheats out to face the audience. "Lord Michael? Who is he to 
presume himself worthy of anything of mine? The insufferable boor!" She slams her fist against her 
open palm. "I should make him pay for-"

Pausing mid-sentence, Calanthe op Valencia's mounting anger twists slowly into a sharply devious
smile. "Yes. Make him pay..." [Calanthe op Valencia]
  Calanthe op Valencia appears to be a master at acting.

With a quick glance back to Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant, Calanthe op Valencia dabs at her eyes
as if to make them water, and sniffs a few times before turning once more to address the man. "I 
cannot blame you, Lord Michael, for nothing grows in my gardens that is quite as appealing as a 
daughter. She is, you understand, quite... invaluable, to me." [Calanthe op Valencia]

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant turns his body half to the audience, his eyebrows raised in
speculation as he boldly sings for them and for the Countess next to him:

"Just what I wonder will it take
This agreement now to make
A pile of gold, a sparkling crown
A cartload of eider down."

"A stack of coins as tall as me
A vodka distillery
A favor from the ducal house
Rubies and a gilded mouse."

Calanthe op Valencia turns uncertainly from Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant, leading him in circles
about the stage while she appears to consider his suit. Hiding her cheshire smile from the man, she 
winks to the audience.

"Expansive possibilities," Calanthe op Valencia joins Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant at last in
song, noting aside,
"If I were this chance to seize."
  Calanthe op Valencia appears to be a master at singing.

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant inclines his head encouragingly, being led around the stage by
Calanthe op Valencia, smiling in a lover's hope as he escalates the offer: "A palace in the 
Nightpine Woods."

A long contract unfurls dramatically from paint-gilt capped rollers, the material arcing gracefully
before beginning to droop toward the ground.

"A ship of exotic goods
A load of furs, a diamond mine!" 

Calanthe op Valencia's visible reluctance is gone now, the cagey Countess having led Poet Laudate
Norrig op Arcenant to right where she wants him -- center stage, while she withdraws a scrolling 
contract attaching to paint-gilt capped rollers from within her voluminous attire. She presents one 
end of it to him with a flourish, and pirouettes away to resume the dance, the pair now stepping in 
tandem. [Calanthe op Valencia]
  Calanthe op Valencia appears to be a master at dancing.

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant agrees, only too eager to fulfill anything Calanthe op Valencia
would ask of him as he gestures at the scroll held by her and sings, clueless of her intentions:

"Dancing horses in a line

A dozen well-trained bodyguards
A small troupe of handsome bards."

A svelte, umber-haired maiden with regal features (Elysaveta) seems amused as well as she watches the
'negotiatons' between Calanthe op Valencia and Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant as their respective 
characters.

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant takes Calanthe op Valencia's hand and performs a circular dance of
mutual accord, their contract arranged. His motions are more respectful and appropiate to his future 
mother-in-law.  But still, his smile is evident in his august face.

Calanthe op Valencia appears to write in each new suggestion and as the scroll lengthens, her
circles tighten around Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant, looping the contract around his body. Soon 
there is no slack left and as the song ends, she hands over the quill and points to where he should 
sign, while the curtains swiftly draw closed.
  Calanthe op Valencia appears to be a master at dancing.

As the curtains close, so too does the music come to a stop. [Perelle ab Symons]

The apprentices move in again to rearrange the furniture on the stage, not bothering to leave room
for the dancing as the actors move into new places on stage for the opening of the curtains. 
[Elizabethany]

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant returns to the backstage for now as the scene ends.

Act 1 – Scene 3

[Action: Elizabethany stands on stage next to Theodora op Arcenant.]

[Action: Calanthe op Valencia waits in the wings. ]

Theodora op Arcenant takes a breath and steps back out onto the stage and brushes a hand down her
costume.

Elizabethany proceeds out onto the stage with Theodora op Arcenant, taking up their place just to
one side.

[Action: Perelle ab Symons performs from an area for the musicians, providing music for the play. ]

Theodora op Arcenant stands about giggling in a corner with Beth chattering about some kind of
feminine nonsense or another the typical warbles and chitters of young gossiping women.She puts a 
hand up to her nose and leans in conspiratorially.

Elizabethany , in her role as the Lady Zhanna, keeps half of her attention on the doorway as she
whispers in Theodora op Arcenant's ear, eyes dancing playfully.  Punctuating with a giggle, she 
nudges her sister's side with her elbow teasingly.
  Elizabethany appears to be champion at acting.

As the women on stage titter and gossip, the occasional soft, uneasy couple of notes play. [Perelle
ab Symons]

[Action: Calanthe op Valencia promenades into the scene with Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant. ]

[Action: Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant walks in with the cold Calanthe op Valencia. ]

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant arrives with Calanthe op Valencia, Countess Nadezhda, by his arm.
His smile is radiant as he approaches the pair of young ladies with an almost majestic air.

A doe-eyed teen girl with cropped flaxen hair leans forwards, trying to hear the gossip on stage

Elizabethany gives Theodora op Arcenant a knowing look, reaching out to squeeze her sister's arm
with an encouraging smile.

Stepping upstage center, leaving Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant behind, Calanthe op Valencia
unravels a scrolling contract attaching to paint-gilt capped rollers while lifting her voice to 
address the gathered. [Calanthe op Valencia]

Calanthe op Valencia "My dear family, loyal subjects, men of means, allies..."

More unraveling accompanies the continuation of her speech. "I am pleased to state, and for you to
bear witness to this momentous occasion on which I, Countess Nadezhda, present this binding contract 
of marriage, drafted and signed, betrothing the Lord Michail to my daughter... 

The Lady Zhanna."

[Action: Calanthe op Valencia stands upon the stage, smugly holding a scroll aloft. ]

Theodora op Arcenant gasps in and despite any attempts to hide it, the young womans face falls to
the moment one can almost witness when her heart breaks like a butterfly crumpling into dust. She 
puts a hand to the middle of her chest and looks aside as she trembles.

Elizabethany lets her hand slip away from Theodora op Arcenant's arm, her jaw also dropping as the
limb falls heavily.  Stunned horror shines across her face.  "Me?"  she echoes faintly to herself, 
her voice gone.

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant takes a half step back, struck in sudden horror at Calanthe op
Valencia's deception. Inflating his chest, he frowns and protests energically: "My lady, this cannot 
be! Taisiya is whom I intend to marry!"

"Lord Michail," Calanthe op Valencia scoffs to Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant, rolling the contract
together again with a snap of finality, "You demanded my daughter's hand. You were quite specific on 
her worth to you but you never specified which daughter. Lady Taisiya is much too young yet. Lady 
Zhanna is my eldest, and fulfills my end of the bargain." [Calanthe op Valencia]

Elizabethany allows her brows to climb higher and higher as Calanthe op Valencia speaks, her own
expression growing darker.

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant shakes his head and takes half a step forward, lifting his chin: "My
lady, I must object! This is not what Taisiya and me desire!"

A doe-eyed teen girl with cropped flaxen hair checks the a playbill for The Betrothal written on
fine blue cardstock again, to make sure she's got sorted who is Lady Zhana and who is Lady Taisiya

"The hand of the Countess's daughter," Calanthe op Valencia insists in clipped tones, raising the
contract authoritatively. "Upon the delivery of the bride price. You signed it, as I have I!" Her 
painted mouth curves into a smirk. "Am I to understand your land's heir is not a man of his word?" 
[Calanthe op Valencia]

Theodora op Arcenant looks back and forth between the others and just can't seem to take it anymore
so she lets out a heartbroken cry and runs away to somewhere offstage.

Elizabethany shoots a dark glare over at Calanthe op Valencia, spinning violently on the ball of her
feet before storming off in the other direction, also offstage.

The departing sisters are accompanied by the closing of the curtains, leaving the disappointed lover
to struggle for words with his future mother-in-law alone. [Elizabethany]

Act 2 – Scene 1

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant remains on stage with Theodora op Arcenant. 

[Action: Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant shares the stage with Theodora op Arcenant. ]

Apprentices quickly rearrange the set to bring the courtyard outside the keep to prominence and
those in the hall have disappeared off-stage. [Elizabethany]

[Action: Elizabethany stands in the wings just offstage.]

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant 'arrives' behind Theodora op Arcenant, a hand extended to her in hopes of stopping her:
"Taisiya, please! Wait a moment, I beg thee."

While Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant races after Theodora op Arcenant, the uneasy, dissonant song
resumes, rife with anxiety and worry. As Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant begins to speak, though, it 
slowly becomes peppered with clever mischief. [Perelle ab Symons]

Theodora op Arcenant laments, loudly her warbled singing voice edging with clear despair and
anguish in the beginning but after a time it turns bitter and angry almost seething:

A curse on older sisters
A pox or painful blisters
Grasping for what isn't hers
Oh my lovely sister dear
I now see it very clear
If only she wasn't here."

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant attempts to comfort Theodora op Arcenant by delicately taking her
hand between both his own, large and careful... but then he slowly looks out at the audience, as a 
new idea dawns on him, golden eyes widening:

"If only she wasn't here
But she doesn't have to be
There are people to be found
For the payment of a fee."

"How do you think you would feel
If your sister were to flee
Tempted, tantalized away
And remains just you and me?"

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant holds Theodora op Arcenant's hand with one of his own and twirls
her with precision and excitement, away from the stage and as the curtains close.

Theodora op Arcenant sniffs in and looks up at Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant as she takes his
hand and dances along with him back off the stage.

[Action: Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant stands on the backstage, behind the curtains. ]

Act 2 – Scene 2

[Action: Elizabethany stands on stage.]

[Action: Cataleya le Grantay is standing near Elizabethany, in slight shadow though not sso far as to
not be seen. ]

As the curtains open again, the audience finds the set itself unchanged, but Elizabethany has
positioned in the center of the stage near the courtyard area with Cataleya le Grantay nearby in the 
shadows.

Elizabethany lets out a low sigh, her whole frame rising and then falling again where she sits.  She
gazes upwards and lets out an exasperated noise.

Cataleya le Grantay swaggers up with a masculine stride, watching Elizabethany before remarking aside
, "Oh, she's a pretty one. I am paid well for this. It should be easy to lure her away."
  Cataleya le Grantay appears to be capable at acting.

A few flittering notes play as Cataleya le Grantay watches Elizabethany, twittering upwards and
downwards conspiratorially. [Perelle ab Symons]

[Action: Cataleya le Grantay is onstage now with Elizabethany. ]

Elizabethany scrambles up to her feet as Cataleya le Grantay approaches, momentary confusion crossing
her face as she works to compose herself, brushing the wrinkles out of her skirts and pulling 
herself straighter.

Count Kirill von Dmitreva seems to be enjoying the performances so far, a solid smile on his face as his gaze
shifts between the actors on stage. Occasionally, his toes tap in time with the music accompaniment.

Moving over to Elizabethany, still with that same roguish smile, Cataleya le Grantay begins speaking.
"Oh beautiful dove, you are so caged and so brilliant. Your wings are clipped. You are a flower in a 
sea of color and utmost heart aching bliss." [Cataleya le Grantay]

A hint of smile plays across Elizabethany's face, though she works to quickly hide it.  She lowers
her eyelashes slightly and gazes back at Cataleya le Grantay through them, expression coy.  "I really 
shouldn't be speaking with you, good sir." [Elizabethany]

Cataleya le Grantay begins to sing, his voice holding the feminine quality, though it is at a lower
register. It sounds like smooth velvet.
"Beautiful lady, caged like a bird
 Squandered, wasted, and wasting away
 Confined to boring expectation
 And monotonous the day to day"
  Cataleya le Grantay appears to be proficient at singing.

The light grows in Elizabethany's eyes as she listens to Cataleya le Grantay sing, and she no longer
tries to conceal the smile that spreads across her lips. [Elizabethany]

Cataleya le Grantay continues after a pause, "
 Beautiful lady, wishing for more
 I would carry you away with me
 Whisk you away from such a grim fate
 Show you everything there is to see."

Elizabethany allows her gaze to drift off, the possibilities Cataleya le Grantay sings of dancing in
her eyes as she starts to sway along with it, feet moving to the rhythm of his song.
  She appears to be champion at dancing.

Cataleya le Grantay's voice becomes more confident as he pauses for breath, before continuing, "
 Beautiful lady, spirited soul
 Imagine the possibilities
 Out in the world far away from here
 Doing whatsoever you may please."

Perelle ab Symons's eyes glance up through her own music at Cataleya le Grantay as she begins singing
. She actually looks surprised - and impressed - at her ability to sing the part. [Hidden]

As Cataleya le Grantay continues to sing, Elizabethany's exuberance builds until she picks up where
the rogue leaves off, echoing the previous lines as she sings, voice full of hope, 
 "Imagine the possibilities
 Out in the world far away from here
 Doing whatsoever I may please
 I think, I feel the choice is so clear!" [Elizabethany]
  Elizabethany appears to be a master at singing.

A frigid-looking Lithmorran with gray eyes (Eiran) continues to watch with what might be said to be a dead
expression - that's not to say that there is no intensity to his gaze, which follows each person on 
stage precisely, his gloved hands are folded comfortably in his lap.

Elizabethany comes to the end of her verse with a little twirl, finishing with her hand extended out
to Cataleya le Grantay, eyes shining.

As they dance off stage, Cataleya le Grantay puts an arm around Elizabethany's waist and smiles
warmly as he whisks her from the stage. [Cataleya le Grantay]
  She appears to be adept at dancing.

Elizabethany times the movement of her feet perfectly along with Cataleya le Grantay's, perched high
on her tip-toes as they dance along off stage at a run.

[Action: Cataleya le Grantay is back in the wings with the others backstage. ]

Intermission

The curtain closes on the departing pair, but does not open again.  Instead, Elizabethany slips out
and announces to the audience, "I hope you are all enjoying yourselves!  We are just taking a quick 
break now to allow you to grab more snacks and drinks, and we'll resume again in a few minutes!"

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant withdraws deeper into the theatre with the other actresses and
musicians.

Perelle ab Symons gets up to join the others backstage.

A lantern-jawed Lithmorran man with a crooked nose clears his throat and looks at the table filled
with food and drinks next to him.

Slipping further away, Cataleya le Grantay moves deeper behind the stage curtain, unseen, except for
a faint sneeze which is quickly hidden. [Cataleya le Grantay]

A slim ladylike woman with straight jet black hair applauds exuberantly aftr the retreating actors
and muscians, a bright smile on her face.

A svelte, umber-haired maiden with regal features (Elysaveta) sets her playbill aside to mark her seat, rising
up and filing out of her row of seats to make her way towards the refreshments to collect a drink.

A freckled woman with blue eyes and woven hair shifts a little in her place, drawing in and
releasing a slow breath as she glances aside to the refreshments, then back down to a playbill for 
The Betrothal written on fine blue cardstock, teeth pulling over her bottom lip.

A svelte, umber-haired maiden with regal features (Elysaveta) soon returns to her seat with treats in hand,
sipping from a cup of polished rosewood with the Troubadour's Crest once she's safely seated once 
more.

An aloof brown haired fellow shifts back into his seat, waiting eagerly for the next part.

A slim ladylike woman with straight jet black hair stands, carrying her baby in her arms. "Want
something sweet?," she asks grinning at her little one as she makes her way to the table. Seeing the 
different cups, the baby attempts to reach out for one of the cups, but a slim ladylike woman with 
straight jet black hair quickly takes his hand. "No hot hot little one. Hot," she says as she takes 
one of the cups of tea, and balances it on a plate with a few sweetmeats. "I have juice for you," 
she says as they make their way back to their seat. "Juice?," the baby intones in a questioning way. 
"yes, grape juice," she says. Reaching in her satchel, she pulls out a corked flask of juice. 
Uncorking it, she hands it to the baby who seems rather delighted upon teasting the juice, while a 
slim ladylike woman with straight jet black hair sips her cup of tea.

An aloof brown haired fellow looks around in awe at all the people here

A frigid-looking Lithmorran with gray eyes (Eiran) remains seated, idly reaching up to his temple and giving
it a soft rub, before leaning back into his seat, grey gaze on the stage. In a brief aside to Lord 
Count, he mildly remarks, "Good dancing." Possibly in a vague attempt at conversation, or because he 
actually thinks it is good. It's generally hard to tell.

Count Kirill von Dmitreva enjoys the opportunity to stretch his legs out in front of himself, though he makes no
move to obtain any refreshments (or have them obtained for him). Hearing a frigid-looking Lithmorran 
with gray eyes's comment, he dips his head in agreement. "Superb acting, as well."

Porleon dul Lache takes a moment to stand and stretch before sitting back down and making herself
comfortable. Porleon dul Lache eyes watching the stage waiting for the show to proceed.

A svelte, umber-haired maiden with regal features (Elysaveta) relaxes back upon her padded seat, awaiting the
second act as she comfortably sips from a cup of polished rosewood with the Troubadour's Crest.    

A freckled woman with blue eyes and woven hair wriggles a bit in her seat again, eyes finally
lifting toward a few of those sitting in the middle seats, and then the front seats. Her cheeks puff 
briefly as they fill with air, which she releases slowly, eyebrows furrowing faintly before 
smoothing again.

Elizabethany slips back out from the curtains to declare to the gathered audience as they have
mostly found their seats again.  "Thank you all!  We'll begin again momentarily!"  She slides back 
offstage into the wings.

An aloof brown haired fellow grins and watches the stage closely

Act 3 – Scene 1

[Action: Calanthe op Valencia paces impatiently before the church. ]

[Action: Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant stands on a side with Theodora op Arcenant next to him. ]

As the curtains open, it is to find Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant, Theodora op Arcenant and
Calanthe op Valencia already on stage, positioned before the chapel set. [Elizabethany]

Anxiety sets in in the musical background again as the curtains open on the actors in place.
[Perelle ab Symons]

[Action: Theodora op Arcenant stands next to Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant smiling. ]

Calanthe op Valencia's courtly attire swishes over the floor before the church, in time with the
Countess's agitated pacing. Her red mouth is set in an overwrought frown so even the back seats can 
tell her displeasure. "Where is she?" she demands of nobody in particular, pausing to peer over the 
crowd in search of someone before pivoting -- swish! -- to pace back in the other direction.

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant stands radiantly next to Theodora op Arcenant, the Lady Taisiya,
ever the gallant husband-to-be. He looks excited and his eyes are alit with anticipation.

Theodora op Arcenant stands next to Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant happily, her arm draped in his
as she leans next to him her head tilted up and high with her pert nose upturned.

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant steps in with the contract in hand, as he fakes a serious face, and
announces: "My lady Nadezhda, I have come to claim your daughter as per our mutually signed 
contract!"

Calanthe op Valencia's icy composure cracks further. "But- but-!" she protests, staring first at
Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant and Theodora op Arcenant, then at the contract. "But Lady Zhanna 
hasn't.. my daughter must be found to fulfill the contract!"

"There is a daughter right here!" Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant objects, gesturing at Theodora dul
Arcenant next to him, "And that is all that the contract requires, my lady." [Poet Laudate Norrig op 
Arcenant]

Count Kirill von Dmitreva offers A frigid-looking Lithmorran with gray eyes (Eiran) a subtle, final nod before he returns
his attention to the stage with a broad smile, eager to see how the second half plays out.

Theodora op Arcenant blinks and looks about and puts her hand to her chest with an open mouth like
she's somehow suddenly surprised and shocked to find herself indeed there.

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant barely holds down a loud expression of joy, it would seem, as he
takes Theodora op Arcenant's hand and dances away in a quick tempo'd circle towards the church. The 
desired wedding will happen, at last!

Once more, the Countess stares over the audience, first in a svelte, umber-haired maiden with regal
features's direction, then over at a slim ladylike woman with straight jet black hair, though it's 
obvious she isn't finding what she's desperately searching for. With an exasperated sigh, Calanthe 
op Valencia tosses her hands up in a gesture of defeat and turns back to the couple. "Fine. The 
priest awaits you inside." [Calanthe op Valencia]

Perelle ab Symons moves to an eager, triumphant tune as the two dance away toward the church. It's
regal and pious in its accents, a traditional Vandagan wedding tune.
  Perelle ab Symons appears to be proficient at woodwind.

Theodora op Arcenant beams up at Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant and trips along on her delicate
steps to follow after him down the aisle of the chapel at a run.

A slim ladylike woman with straight jet black hair chuckles softly and claps her hands to the tune
that Perelle ab Symons plays, the little baby boy by her side copying his mother as he too claps 
along with her.

The curtains close on the defeated Countess, and the apprentices rush on stage again to rearrange
the set. [Elizabethany]

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant returns to behind the curtains with Theodora op Arcenant. 

[Action: Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant watches on behind the stage curtains. ]

Calanthe op Valencia's fancy attire might be seen by people closest to the stage as she steps off
behind the curtains.

Act 4 – Scene 1

[Action: Elizabethany stands on center stage.]

[Action: Cataleya le Grantay is standing near Elizabethany on center stage. ]

Later, Cataleya le Grantay approaches Elizabethany and tilts his head at an angle. He clicks his
tongue as he says, "I was hired to lure you away, my dear girl, and I'm afraid I have no more use 
for you. Your betrothed has married your sister. It was a pity. You really are beautiful in a ... 
artistically pleasing manner." A smile remains on his face at the statement, his eyebrows rising as 
he has told a little white lie. [Cataleya le Grantay]

As the curtains open up again, it is to find Cataleya le Grantay and Elizabethany positioned in
center stage, with the outdoor part of the scene emphasized by the set.

Elizabethany lifts her chin and turns slowly to look over her shoulder towards Cataleya le Grantay.
Her brow raises and she returns the words with an unimpressed look.

Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant inclines his head to Calanthe op Valencia with a broad smile:
"Simply amazing, mistress, I am honored to share the stage with you." with a side wink to Theodora 
dul Arcenant.  [Jmote]

Elizabethany laughs in response to Cataleya le Grantay's words, her posture proud and tall.  "Do you
take me for an idiot, Andrei?"  she retorts, turning her body to face the rogue as if she is lining 
up her aim.  "What sort of lady runs off with the first hooligan to come her way if she actually 
wants to marry the man she's betrothed to?"

A nefarious, plotting refrain plays to Elizabethany and Cataleya le Grantay exchanging lines.
[Perelle ab Symons]

Elizabethany stalks up towards Cataleya le Grantay with a tense ferocity in her steps.  She lifts up
her hand to the rogue's cheek, as if she is about to slap him, but instead she gives a patronizing 
pat-pat-pat and lifts her voice to sing in a sickeningly sweet, condescending voice, 
 "Oh darling, no, no, no-o
 Did you take me for a fool?
 Stolen away from marriage
 But still just a pretty jewel?"

Elizabethany spins away from Cataleya le Grantay and grabs hold of a rope that hangs from the rafters
, twisting around it.  She supports her weight on the tip of her toes on one foot through her grasp 
on the rope as she rotates around it.

Elizabethany lifts the finger of her other hand to wag it at Cataleya le Grantay in a scolding manner
, her words still patronizing as she sings, 
 "Oh darling, I don't think so
 No, no, sweetcake, I want more
 Adventure and excitement
 Perhaps the odd bit of gore"

As Elizabethany pats his cheek in a condescending manner, and then has the audacity to sing in that
sickeningly sweet voice, Cataleya le Grantay's eyes widen and he stares at her, his eyes nearly 
warming into a kind of awe-struck look as the noble woman has beaten him at his game, though the set 
of his mouth is tight-lipped. The acrobatics do not go unnoticed, and he watches with an awe-struck 
gaze, even if that finger was pointed at him. [Cataleya le Grantay]

Elizabethany leans backwards for a moment, her back arching with taut muscles before she releases
them, springing upside-down with her hand still grasping the rope.  Her leg catches a twist around 
the rope above her head, securing herself, and the edge of her skirt, into place with the tension.

Elizabethany releases her hand from the rope, keeping herself supported with only the twist about
her leg, and she spreads out her arms to either side as if she is flying, and she lifts her voice to 
sing out stridently, 
 "Oh darling, didn't you know
 What I really had in mind?
 I'm out to live my own life
 And I will leave you behind."

Elizabethany punctuates with a flick of her wrist, a finger pointing at Cataleya le Grantay's nose. 
Her brow raised, she spins around in place before stalking off, fully composed and exuding a 
newfound confidence. She proceeds off stage with an exaggerated sway without waiting to see what the 
rogue will do.

As Elizabethany moves off, completely in control, Cataleya le Grantay stares and after a moment, in
which is eyes are wide and impressed, he runs after her across the stage. [Cataleya le Grantay]

As Cataleya le Grantay runs after Elizabethany, the curtains close behind them.

Act 5 – Scene 1

[Action: Calanthe op Valencia stands amidst heavy-looking chests. Her arms are folded tightly,
annoyance darkening her features. ]

The apprentices scurry onto the stage once more, and this time when the curtains open, it is to find
Calanthe op Valencia on stage in the keep part of the set, amidst some heavy-looking chests. 
[Elizabethany]

Elizabethany half-saunters and half-marches in.  Dressed now in much more roguish attire, she pauses
to adjust the tilt of her extravagant, plumed hat, leaving it at a rakish angle.  Hand moving to the 
sword at her belt, she lifts her chin and moves to stand before Calanthe op Valencia as if she owns 
the place.

Cataleya le Grantay follows behind the now roguish hat and sword wielding Elizabethany, his gaze like
a man in love nearly as the noblewoman exudes confidence.

[Action: Cataleya le Grantay is on the stage with Elizabethany and the other's. ]

An at once wicked and triumphant march plays to herald Cataleya le Grantay and Elizabethany's entry,
growing louder as they approach. [Perelle ab Symons]

[Action: Elizabethany stands on stage.]

Elizabethany gracefully lifts her sword arm to point the thin blade at Calanthe op Valencia's neck,
zeroing in on the location with a playful little circling motion. "Hello there, Mother,"  she greets,
voice full of a rumbling confidence.

The music falls silent. [Perelle ab Symons]

[Action: Calanthe op Valencia stands stock still, at sword-point! ]

Calanthe op Valencia's annoyance quickly melts to alarm. Her eyes widen as Elizabethany advances
upon her, the Countess's arms unfolding then raising with her palms facing out in surrender. Mouth 
in an 'O' of surprise, she sputters and squawks, "Daughter! What- what is the meaning of this?!"

"I'm of a mind to claim my trousseau,"  Elizabethany announces flippantly to her mother, holding the
sword in place such that it hovers at Calanthe op Valencia's throat.  "Since you were so eager to be 
rid of me, and all."  As her eyebrow lifts, an edge of ice creeps into her otherwise frivolous tones.
[Elizabethany]

Her hands still raised, Calanthe op Valencia's fingers curl slowly into fists. She carefully turns
her head, still-wide eyes slowly moving from Elizabethany to the chests upstage. Her fists seem to 
tremble but when she looks back to Elizabethany, the sword is still there at her throat to keep her 
at bay.

With a harsh sigh, the Countess's hands open again and slowly drop to her sides. She doesn't
challenge Elizabethany again. [Calanthe op Valencia]

"Andrei!"  Elizabethany barks, gesturing across the room towards a large chest with her free hand,
the other remaining tightly wrapped about the grip of her sword. [Elizabethany]

It is only to be pointed to the chest as she holds her Mother at sword point. After the demand has
been met, Cataleya le Grantay moves to the chest like a dog to its master an drags them away, his 
smile still impressed as he does the grunt work. [Cataleya le Grantay]

Cataleya le Grantay gets a large prop chest with rope handles and painted wood lines.

Calanthe op Valencia watches as the chest is dragged off by Cataleya le Grantay, increasingly
distraught as the riches are hauled away.

Elizabethany continues to hold her mother at swordpoint while Cataleya le Grantay sets to work on
hauling the chest.  A too-sharp smile graces her lips, eyes on fixed on her target.

[Action: Cataleya le Grantay is half-carrying, half-dragging the chest away, ever dutiful ]

Once the chest is nearly off stage, Elizabethany sweeps her arm back, initiating a taunting bow with
a flourish of her free hand to Calanthe op Valencia, and she retreats backwards after the loot, 
sword at the ready. [Elizabethany]

As Elizabethany and Cataleya le Grantay depart, the same triumphant music resumes, growing quieter
and quieter as they depart. 

Eventually, Calanthe op Valencia is left alone, in silence. [Perelle ab Symons]

Calanthe op Valencia takes only a single step after Elizabethany, gaze now fixed on her daughter
rather than the other treasures. As the others retreat from the stage and the music fades out, she 
regains some of her composure, and frowns out at the audience. 

"This is all the fault of that grasping, rat-faced lord!"

On that pronouncement, the curtains close on the lone noblewoman with some finality. [Elizabethany]

[Action: Elizabethany stands mid-stage witht he other actors.]

[Action: Cataleya le Grantay is standing mid-stage with the other actors. ]

[Action: Perelle ab Symons stands on the stage with the actors. ]

[Action: Calanthe op Valencia stands upon the stage with the full cast. ]

As the full cast steps up on to the stage, a slim ladylike woman with straight jet black hair claps
exuberantly along with her little son. [a slim ladylike woman with straight jet black hair]

To the re-opening of the curtains, Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant emerges with a radiant smile,
clapping loudly as he moves to stand on the edge of the stage. He looks left and right as he claps 
for his companions, then at the public, and when they are ready he holds the hands of the bardess to 
the left and right of him, and bows to the audience. [Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant]

[Action: Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant stands on the stage with the actors. ]

As it happens, Cataleya le Grantay stands at Poet Laudate Norrig op Arcenant's left, so when he takes
her hand, she looks momentarily surprised, but smiles faintly. [Cataleya le Grantay]

Porleon dul Lache stands and does her best to applaud

An aloof brown haired fellow claps and cheers like he never has before!

A doe-eyed teen girl with cropped flaxen hair starts clapping when everyone near her does. 

Elizabethany looks triumphant as show lifts her hands and bows along with the troubadours next to
her.  "Thank you, thank you everyone for coming!  We hope you've enjoyed yourselves!"

A freckled woman with blue eyes and woven hair rises from her seat, tucking a playbill for The
Betrothal written on fine blue cardstock beneath one elbow before lifting her hands to applaud 
toward all of those on the stage, a smile touching her lips as she tips her chin toward them.

A svelte, umber-haired maiden with regal features (Elysaveta) brings gloved hands together in polite but
enthusiastic applause for the actors.

Perelle ab Symons grins meekly as she bows with the others, aside a few paces and clearly
overwhelmed by the moment.

As the curtains reopen, Count Kirill von Dmitreva rises to his feet at the front of the row and begins to clap
enthusiastically for the performers on stage, beaming a broad smile their way. He pauses only 
briefly in his applause to gesture at one of his servants, who hurries toward the stage to lay five 
bouquets out at the end of it. [Count Kirill von Dmitreva]

Count Kirill von Dmitreva drops the following:
(  5)a congratulatory bouquet of blushing pink Batarostran roses

Calanthe op Valencia joins the rest of the ensemble onstage, dipping low in a curtsey to the
audience before joining in their applause to honor those next to her.

Grinning, Cataleya le Grantay bows in an elaborate curtsy, which hopefully doesn't pull Poet Laudate
Norrig op Arcenant off his feet, as she gives the crowd a dashing smile and a roguish wink to top it 
off. [Cataleya le Grantay]

A frigid-looking Lithmorran with gray eyes (Eiran) claps his gloved hands together as the curtains open,
rising momentarily to his feet before sitting back down again, though he does not stop clapping. It 
is rather at odds with his expression.

Theodora op Arcenant takes her spot in the great chain of Bards and curtseys with a smile as she
looks out over the audience and flashes her pearly whites.

• Information