Hidden emote inside of emote

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Puciek

Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:20 pm

Hi there,

I love hemote, I can't get enough of it! But what seems for me to be missing is to be able to embed a hemote inside of actual emote, maybe eve as simple condition with different line of text whether someone passes or fails the test.

As example of conditional one: emote takes a look at (general direction of the crowd|person with twisted beard inside of the crowd)
Or just showing nothing when no it's not spoted: emote Replies to some comment (and quickly removed the wedding bang from his finger, slipping it into his pocket), continues to hit on young pretty thing.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:21 am

Does whisper work for this?

Puciek

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:48 am

Well whisper would work if you just want to say something, but if you want to sneak in an action, or just details of it, then it will not. With more realistic examples this would be nice enchancment to all the "eyeing" that happens in game, as while it is obvious who is looking at who, only the careful eye will spot that the other person is paying a lot of attention to that gold necklace on someones neck. Which this would neatly represent, as then you could do
[...] he takes a good look at Kinky (with quite a curious glance toward that bling hanging from her neck)[...].
I really think this would be a great addition to the rp, because while hemotes are amazing tool, they are currently a bit cumbersome to use and this would allow for them to be seamlessly integrated into emotes.

Pixie

Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:27 pm

While I love the utility of the idea, feels like it would just bog down RP with more syntax.

Dice

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:59 pm

I think I agree with Pixie; emote is rapidly becoming an extremely complex command. I would say you can find a way to put those asides easily in hemotes. For example, hemote When /self looks at /Kinky, his attention focuses on the necklace she wears.

Puciek

Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:51 pm

Dice wrote:I think I agree with Pixie; emote is rapidly becoming an extremely complex command. I would say you can find a way to put those asides easily in hemotes. For example, hemote When /self looks at /Kinky, his attention focuses on the necklace she wears.
Emote is only as complex as you use it, and while I do use them as hemote it just... well it doesn't work well.
First it sticks out as sore thumb when detected, which is unrealistic because HOW do you know that PC doing it wanted to hide it? Well, now you know!
Secondly it doesn't fit nice with emote unless you completle extract the whole interaction from emote. Which works nice if you do the sneaky at the beginning or end, not very much so when in the middle.

So what is exactly the problem with adding moar to emote? You don't HAVE to use it, it doesn't replace hemote as sometimes you want the whole emote to be hidden, it adds potential to make your emotes a lot sexier.

Pixie

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:15 pm

Hrrrm. I'd counter that a hidden emote is by nature supposed to be the character trying to hide it, and if somebody detects the hidden emote then they know that the individual who performed the action was trying to hide it. It allows you, having spotted something that was supposed to be unseen (and marked as such), to respond to it appropriately.

Other than further muddying up the emote command with added syntax for functionality that already exists, I could see it getting weird to have it just seamlessly embedded in an emote. The person who potentially sees the hidden behavior, despite it being an action that was purposely hidden, wouldn't have a clear indication that it was supposed to be hidden.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:53 pm

I tend to agree with Puciek and wouldn't mind having the ability to hemote mid-emote. I'm not sure I like the syntax, but I'll think of things I think we can work it in without disrupting how people already work.

Perhaps just add an [h code, the same way we added [w with [x to end? Is there an issue with that? Using it would probably run through the same algorithm as hemote and count as an hemote.

BattleJenkins

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:54 pm

If this was added, there would definitely need to be some kind of indicator of what parts of the emote were intended to be hidden, but were revealed - color would be the obvious way to do this, as well as perhaps something appended to the emote in brackets like hemote does, but I do worry for our screen reader friends.

Puciek

Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:20 pm

BattleJenkins wrote:If this was added, there would definitely need to be some kind of indicator of what parts of the emote were intended to be hidden, but were revealed - color would be the obvious way to do this, as well as perhaps something appended to the emote in brackets like hemote does, but I do worry for our screen reader friends.
I really do not get why we need that red flag that comes with hemote.
The suspicion to someones action should come from what he does, not from the system that raises a red flag. In the end if a noble sneaks a peak at someones necklace, he is most likely just curious, but when a shady guy with 3 fingers and reeves brand on his face who was eyeballing everyone all evening dos the same, then it certainly should raise alarm bells in anyone (assuming that they will manage to spot that detail).
If the person want to disclose that what they do is indeed shady then they should describe the action, not just "character does XYZ which he tries to hide". So for example "attempts to sneak a card away from his sleeve, hoping no one would notice [hidden]" can become "with some smooth move of his hand, and ace is recovered from his sleeve and casually put into his palm". Anyone at that poker table who sees that should be very suspicious, but they have to draw their own conclusions about the action, not have it thrown by them either by hemote mechanics, or content of emote.

• Information