11 Ways to Be A Better Roleplayer

A place to find maps, walkthroughs, and other assistance on how to play TI Legacy. Contributers will earn Quest Points in game!

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Tremere

Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:59 am

I was staying up late, as I am want to do with my insomnia and I came across this article on roleplaying and I thought that it was a very good read and reminded me of some things I could be doing better. This is by no means a perfect list and not all of it will apply to our game (like the not killing. some aspects of the theme explicitly end up that way, what with mages and the order. However it does leave room for -other- options for other crimes. Theft or offense at someone doesn't have to lead to burning and salting the ground after you slaughter them and their family to get at them. But if someone is repeatedly offending an escalation over time is definitely merited)

But anyway, theory of how it individually offers up insights for you, I do think that the broad strokes have some very good points/ideas to touch on and it is worth a read. As a note there is some swearing in this article, but at the very beginning he does offer up a curse free alternative version. Here is the link: http://lookrobot.co.uk/2013/06/20/11-wa ... oleplayer/

Tremere

Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:05 am

I figure in the discussion it might be fun to discuss some of our takeaways from this. For me the tips that stand out to me most are 10 and 11. Embrace failure and play the game. The first is something that I think is just a great thing, because while a character might fail in their goals, failure isn't the end of the story, it's the beginning of a new chapter. I have seen a number of characters end because they have accomplished everything and have nowhere to go. Failure gives them more to work towards, more to work around and more to sink their teeth into. It's something I personally need to remember more and just in concept is great.

The part of it being a game. It seems obvious doesn't it? Yet at the same time it can be easy to forget. And it's not just in that oh if you get worked up step away it's just a game aspect. But in the more subtle things about getting involved with others, propelling things forwards and being active and involved in doing things. Will you always succeed in getting involved in -everything-? No, probably not, but you can still get involved in a lot and try and work around those blocks that happen (*points up at the failure thing above*).

Anyway nothing about any of this is directed at anyone but myself. It's really made me think about how I rp and thought I would offer this up in case others find it interesting/helpful.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:36 pm

I really enjoyed the read. Mind if I post it on TMC?

Tremere

Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:56 pm

I don't mind.

BattleJenkins

Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:02 pm

This was a good read! I highly recommend the follow-up post, as well: http://lookrobot.co.uk/2013/06/23/stani ... leplaying/

I think the "play your PC like an NPC" advice is particularly on point for TI:Legacy. I feel like some of the best RP partners in the game right now are the people doing this, and I strive to go by this philosophy myself.

Applesauce

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:59 pm

BattleJenkins wrote:This was a good read! I highly recommend the follow-up post, as well: http://lookrobot.co.uk/2013/06/23/stani ... leplaying/

I think the "play your PC like an NPC" advice is particularly on point for TI:Legacy.
I originally created my current main char to be an NPC "thematic flavor" type char, and it's been the cause of a great deal of fun.

Ont he flip side, I really appreciate when people play their NPCs like PCs, giving them personalities, mannerisms, continuity from scene to scene, hold discussions with people while their PC talks to an entirely separate group. It's hard work but I love when people do it.

Tremere

Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:43 pm

Kin to be clear, I didn't write this one! I only found it while browsing articles. Though this is the sort of article I would have considered writing when I was writing them.

• Information