Moar Wilderness?

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:11 pm

In my view, it isn't that "some of this exists already", but literally all of the above mage abilities exist already. It's just that it takes time, effort, networking, and development before a mage will have access to most of the kit.

I don't feel like the wilderness is too small, nor do I think mages need a heap of extra stuff to ensure their security. In large part because the game design for the mage role *is* inherent risk, which is why the role comes with bright red letter warnings in character creation, etc.

Geras

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:13 pm

The traps at the very least are very blunt instruments.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:25 pm

I would bet as it stands there are parts of the map and secret rooms and other hidey holes the majority of people have never seen, let alone found all of them with one character. I honestly don't think we need more rooms. I think people's perception of the situation is based on how much of the grid they have personally seen versus what actually exists.

I'm also not sure how to suggest to make patrols more fun as often they don't come with a guaranteed "win." Yes, most criminals/mages who are caught are caught making a mistake or found by fluke at the right place at the right time. The actual stories over time of like hunting someone down and finding them in the wilderness are relatively rare, so I think taking up masses of staff time to build up really fringe cases doesn't' make sense.

Geras

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:51 pm

I don't think it's just fringe cases though. Exploration itself can be fun.

Starstarfish
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:26 am

The wilderness isn't the only place to explore though, we also have rooftops, sewers, etc, so there's lots of places to look about. At a certain point endlessly expanding doesn't work. And "exploration is fun" is a different discussion from the topic that's been at hand.

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:31 am

I have been in games where the game map is just far too large. One thing I like about TI is that you can be from elsewhere off-grid, and then everyone gathers in a common community of Lithmore. While people do complain about having a hard time finding RP, it is easier to find and interact with people with the map the scale it is. Imagine if it were much, much larger.

I realize the argument with me here is going to be, "But most people are in the city, not the wilderness," blah blah blah. But... seriously, larger grids tend to cause problems, especially with a pbase the size of ours. There are ways for mages to hide tracks, do all sorts of things. They added more hidey holes.

Be schneaky.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Nevermore

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:27 am

Seconding Starstarfish,

There are many more places to hide than exclusively the wilderness. The sewers are mind bogglingly large, as well as the rooftop grid. In large part, most mages either get caught because they make mistakes, are at the wrong place at the wrong time, or utilize existing hiding spots incorrectly if they know that it exists.

Be clever and sneaky. As mentioned earlier, there are at least two active and known long term mages around right now and for good reason.

Geras

Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:25 pm

Is there any interest in revisiting this? Exploration is fun and the Knights could use more stuff to do.

Taunya

Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:25 am

I think some new areas to explore are being built.

Geras

Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:22 pm

Orly? Sweet!

• Information