Demon Summoning Ideas

Specifically for code or policies you would like to see implemented.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Niamh
Discord Handle: Niamh#3824

Sat May 23, 2020 7:50 pm

Hey guys! We're looking for ideas on how to make the summoning system:

a) More available for those inclined to summon; less dependent on Staff time and inclination;
b) As a result of point a, scripted.

With those bits in mind, what would you like to see in a scripted system for dealing with demons?

galaxgal

Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 pm

It feels to me like demon summoning can have automated:

1) Some kind of check(s) to see if the demon is successfully under control or not

2) Most coded rewards related to money, skills, stats, the casting of spells, etc.

With the exception of RPA-like tasks related to secrets or information, it sounds like most of these things could be accessed through a menu of some kind while keeping with the danger of releasing a potentially violent or dangerous creatures onto the grid, but I'd hope to see something more than "scary mob set to aggressive/lethal."
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

Puciek

Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Maybe a semi-automated system. You run the summoning through automated script icly, and if your reward requires RPA then that final-leg could be handled via plots? This would hopefully put less straing on the staff, and still allow for the flexibility in negotiating with the demon if needed.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

EvieKray

Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:04 am

I'd like for the mage's power to be weighed with the demon's, so that the stronger you are, the less likely you are to lose control in holding the demon in the summong circle. Maybe different demons can have different wishes? Some might not help you if you don't release them into the world after, or some might have a more materialistic need. Some might just want you to do something on your end, et cetera. I think more basic things like wishing for a book, a spell, the knowledge of an unfamiliar element, et cetera, could be automated. More difficult things like secrets or Demon Court/Queen level stuff might need more staff attention. But that still means that people who want XP or knowledge or items will be able to get those without staff attention. Usually the more complicated stuff isn't for newbie mages anyway, and wouldn't be done lightly.

I also wonder if there's an estimate on when it will be reactivated again?

Edited.

galaxgal

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:08 pm

Yeah, while I know it will probably require noticeable code effort, I hope demon summoning in some form can be put back into play sometime soon.

Even if the effects are rarely seen publicly, Its apparent demand clearly illustrates that it's a core thematic driver for mages as they are today and helps drive conflict and risk.

EvieKray

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:35 am

Yeah, I imagine it will take a while. Until then, it would be nice if there was something in place for it.

EvieKray

Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:48 pm

With theee recent announcement on new changes that are being/will be made, I am curious if there is any news on the demon summoning system, if staff could give an estimate?

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:52 pm

Reviving this thread from the graveyard due to today's OOC Chat.

The problems that originally caused staff to shut down the demon system are primarily that staff don't have time to run it in its current form. The rewards allowed for a player when using the demon summoning system are already laid out in a help file and theoretically could be automated. The thing we really need to focus on is how it might work, what the associated costs and downsides are to summoning demons, etc.

galaxgal

Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:45 pm

How detailed should suggestions be? I have some ideas but I don't want to go overboard and dump an entire armchair design doc onto the thread unwanted here.

EvieKray

Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:47 am

Is this ever gonna be a thing? Feels like an integral part of the mage experience.

• Information