Magical Tattoos

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Radiune
Discord Handle: Radiune#2216

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:56 pm

Playing on a Neverwinter Nights persistent world set in the setting of Thay gave me something that I considered a pretty neat idea. So, in Thay, the Red Wizards tend to tattoo themselves and place enchantments on said tattoos to allow them to cast a spell from them every day or so in addition to their prepared spells.

Now, the ability to evoke a spell onto a tattoo seems like it could lead to balancing issues, but I had another idea. I think it'd be pretty neat if we could create magical inks that could be used to create tattoos that could then be manaforged into talismans, sort of like characters from Fullmetal Alchemist having transmutation circles tattooed on their bodies (Think Kimblee's palms).

In essence, we could think of various symbols and materials to use - inked talismans of various moons would require different materials and each moon could have its own ink; it's likely that it could be an easily recognizable or universal symbol, or perhaps something less conspicuous - a silver or black crescent for Lunare, or a flame for Arien. On the other hand, maybe we want something more obvious - maybe requiring it to include a line of Eld text, for example; another one of my ideas was having the tattoo lose its powers over time as it is covered, only regaining them when in open view and exposed to the moons.

Myrella

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:59 pm

That's a terrible idea. Why not just tattoo "I'm a mage, arrest me" on your character? :roll:

Tasker

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:00 pm

There is already a magecraft for this, but it is very basic and can only be attatched to the head - so maybe this could be expanded? It's a cool idea, but I don't think it would be used very often because the risk of discovery would be pretty bigge.

Taunya

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:38 pm

Magical tattoos do have a pretty awesome aesthetic though.

The idea of moonbathing mages kind of tickles me too.

galaxgal

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:21 am

Myrella wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:59 pm
That's a terrible idea. Why not just tattoo "I'm a mage, arrest me" on your character? :roll:
Equipment (and clothing) layers are a thing, so just don't get arrested in the first place and never ever ever ever let anyone see you naked, which is already the optimal strategy for playing the game in the first place

That said, I'm not sure how often people would opt to use a permanent, wearable version of talismans, given that my understanding is that they barely see use in the first place.
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

Taunya

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:42 am

The whole Lithmorran body shame thing would definitely work in favor for it. I expect it would mostly be already outed mages that would make use of it though, unless there was a way to conceal tattoos, like for when receiving treatment for wounds.
Hm. Does the conceal command work on tattoos actually? It might, come to think of it. Though depending on the size of the tattoo, it might not be concealable.

Geras

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:22 pm

I'd like there to be magical tattoos you can place on someone else to screw with them.

Tasker

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:23 pm

Geras wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:22 pm
I'd like there to be magical tattoos you can place on someone else to screw with them.
That's basically the function of the current magecraft item as it stands.

LANS

Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:06 pm

I approve of this initiative completely. Please, implement it and use it extensively on your mage friends and family, also on yourselves.

• Information