See door durability and/or lock difficulty

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Buzz K[ir]ill

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:52 am

Could we get some kind of assessment of a door's durability upon looking at it? E.g. weak, standard, or hard.

And maybe for covert folks, a way for them to gauge how difficult a lock might be, if they don't already have that ability.

I am really enjoying all the useful information that's been added to 'look around' over the past couple of years. Doors could use a little of the same treatment, I think.

Buzz K[ir]ill

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:58 am

It would also be great if we could get doors that are lockable but see-through, like actual gates.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:28 am

That last part you can do by getting a coded window added to the room. (Which you could possibly just write as peeking through a gate.) :)

-+[-__-]+-

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:46 pm

How about appraise/inspect exit <direction> or something? Maybe takes some mv per attempt, so it's not too easy to case a joint?

I'd suggest it pull from an appropriate skill but maybe that's overcomplicating things too much.

Taunya

Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:37 pm

For pick, maybe 'pick appraise (direction/object)'

And perhaps just look <direction> could return the door strength when it's closed.

Currently:
l north
The gate is closed.

could be :The gate is closed. It appears weakly/ordinarily/strongly made.

Buzz K[ir]ill

Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:30 pm

-+[-__-]+- wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:46 pm
How about appraise/inspect exit <direction> or something? Maybe takes some mv per attempt, so it's not too easy to case a joint?

I'd suggest it pull from an appropriate skill but maybe that's overcomplicating things too much.
I prefer making it a visible action over applying a random MV cost, but that's just me.

Buzz K[ir]ill

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:04 pm

Starstarfish wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:28 am
That last part you can do by getting a coded window added to the room. (Which you could possibly just write as peeking through a gate.) :)
Ooorrr, instead of paying for two custom hidden notake window items, I could pay for an affordable seethru flag, is my thinking.

-+[-__-]+-

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:08 pm

Buzz K[ir]ill wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:30 pm
I prefer making it a visible action over applying a random MV cost, but that's just me.

LonelyNeptune

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:33 pm

Personally it doesn't make sense to me that it would cost MV to look at a door.

I like the idea of wrapping it up into Mercantalism with 'appraise north/south/east/west/up/down'. Those with high Mercantalism skill would realistically be able to identify the materials of the door, assess the quality of the craftsmanship, and maybe even be familiar with the maker of the lock. So that makes RP sense.

-+[-__-]+-

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:56 pm

MV is the mechanic we use to show a PC has invested some time or effort into something. I believe there was similar explanation behind adding MV cost to foraging or plant tending. 'freebie' information that helps you decide whether or not you're going to risk breaking your arm feels exploitable.

I like Buzz K[ir]ill's suggestion to make the action visible too, with or without an MV cost!

Rosie examines the east exit closely momentarily.

+ making sure you're actually close to that exit. I think that'd be fine.

I've thought before that you should have more info available if you're the @owner of a room too. I... often forget keywords on notake items in my phomes, for example, or if I've upgraded a door or lock. But I will throw that into a different thread!

• Information