Sharable recipe templates

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Taunya

Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:31 am

This came to mind after a few people asked ICly for the recipe for a cake: It'd be neat to implement a way to craft something directly from a 'recipe' that has all of the various strings pre-set, that you can share with others, or use as a shortcut to craft something that you make a lot of.

I could see going about making the recipe one of two ways:

A:
recipe write <skill> <recipe> [optional recipe short description]
which would enter a POLCA to enter the various descriptions manually.

example:

Code: Select all

recipe write woodworking 1232 directions to make a quiverfull of bodkin arrows
short a poplar-shafted bodkin arrow, fletched with eagle feathers
long A poplar-shafted bodkin arrow, fletched with eagle feathers is here.
keyword poplar bodkin arrow eagle feathers
extended (enters editor)
This arrow appears ideal for piercing armor, set with a steel bodkin head on a sleek, poplar shaft. The eagle feathers are trimmed to give a well balanced flight.
@f
@x

@shop_info (enters editor)
This arrow appears ideal for piercing armor, set with a steel bodkin head on a sleek, poplar shaft. The eagle feathers are trimmed to give a well balanced flight.
@f
@x

done
Or B:
recipe clone <item> [optional recipe short description]
which would clone the strings from a pre-made item into a recipe.

Afterwards:
recipe make <recipe item>
would craft the item, assuming that the crafter is of sufficient skill, ending with a fully tooled item at the end.

Looking at the recipe item could give some details such as what skill it uses, what proficiency it requires, the short desc of what it'll make, required items, etc.

Puciek

Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:43 am

I would go further and allow us to combine recipes into books, and creating from a recipe would also carry a trademark of whoever created that recipe. So while your merchant is dead, his legacy of amazing strings can live on, together with the trademarks. After few iterations of merchants, it would remove the need to want to string things from merchants life, and good riddance as many people hate stringing stuff (but then the original creator would get the credit for strings).

Also gives less honest people something to rp about, and for example steal those books ;).
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Snefru

Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:29 am

I support both the original suggestion and Puciek's amendment... but perhaps allow for the recipe to also work if you have the item made but not tooled?

Andruid

Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:23 am

An interesting idea.

We already have "recipes." They're the items that populate crafting lists, which require various tools and ingredients to make. Those are the recipes. This sounds more like a request for saving custom strings for later use?

I wouldn't mind a feature that allowed me to save my crafting strings to be used again -- or even shared, or bought/sold. It could help reduce the tedium of crafting and make "knowledge" or "information" itself the commodity (always a fan of making information itself valuable).

At the moment, sharing custom strings is pretty difficult to do without veering into the realm of OOC.

Puciek

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:07 pm

Pattern or schematic may be more fitting, as it is a set of direction on how to use a recipe.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Rhothrian

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:10 pm

I like this idea a lot, especially when combined with the suggestion to create recipe books and to be able to craft from them if you have all the materials present.

Popcorn

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:28 pm

I really love this idea. I would love to be able to save strings into a recipe book for later. This could also work with sketchbooks for tailoring, schematics for woodwork, etc. etc. Currently I use Percival's tool and save the output to a .txt file. I would love to have an in game solution.

Not that Robin is sharing the recipe for The Best Cake in Lithmore™ with anyone. >.>

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:45 pm

This would be an interesting idea, as then in theory, there could be people who excel at creating the recipes/strings that other people use versus making things themselves. For all those people who are masters of strings, could be interesting.

Particular if it means things like IC cook books (like the one sold at the Queen's Inn) could include some real usable recipes. :D

Percival

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:07 pm

I agree. This would make making basic dishes much easier for people who can't / won't figure out the stringing system.

Could perhaps tie in the copying of strings from another object into 'tool thing copy cookbookbook 01'

Niamh
Discord Handle: Niamh#3824

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:20 am

Added to talking points.

• Information