Couple additions to tracking

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Puciek

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:52 pm

I love tracking, it's a fantastic system that enables a lot of fun things to happen. And after using it quite a bit, I have couple suggestions to make it even better

1. When you want to track some crime, and you manage to get there very quickly (within 10 IC hours) you really have to start tracking right away, ignoring time to do some emoting and RP around. And that is speaking at maxed tracking level, where even following a straightforward track requires to really abandon RP along the way, otherwise, you may likely lose it.
I am not sure what is the best solution to that, as much as I do the tracking RP, I know very well that emoting is slow, even in chase scenes, and every IC hour makes it worse. Maybe if someone is following the trail, the timer for this track could slow down from decaying? Or some other solution that people may come up with that will allow some rp along the tracking, not just rushing through it.

2. Showing character approx weight, in a similar way we display height. It could be easily obscured, where if you see someone naked you will guess their perfect weight, and then for every bit of clothing they wear it gets more obscured. If the cloak is on, even more, obscured and hood on, even more so. For good measure, it could also depend partially on wisdom and be rounded to nearest stone. I think that would be reasonably balanced, especially given how important is the weight for the tracker. It still leaves a lot of puzzles, at most gives you a mild clue alone (there are almost endless people at an average weight, so unless you are extra skinny/fat it won't help at all), but when joined with something else could be a pretty cool thing to play out.

3. Tracks for actions. This is a big missing thing for me right now, you could have combat in a spot and that would leave zero tracks. I imagine that I can retrieve that data through investigations, but I would love for actions to leave some mark. Can be left for very short amount of time, without many details etc, but leave some mark if someone altered the mood, or engaged in combat, or drawn a graffiti and other actions that may be worth investigating without having to wait for the RPA to come through.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Temi

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:15 pm

Something makes me want to say that weight is offered somehow at higher levels, but I am not sure of that.

Puciek

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:57 pm

Temi wrote:Something makes me want to say that weight is offered somehow at higher levels, but I am not sure of that.
Yes, it is offered by tracking skill, quite early in actually.

But because we only get that weight from tracking, and it's not shown when we look at other characters (unless someone included this in their description, which is rare), you have no way to use that number in another way than to help you stay on track, so to speak. So my suggestion was to see someone's weight when looking at people, in an imperfect way, similar to the height system we have.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Temi

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:28 pm

Puciek wrote:
Temi wrote:Something makes me want to say that weight is offered somehow at higher levels, but I am not sure of that.
Yes, it is offered by tracking skill, quite early in actually.

But because we only get that weight from tracking, and it's not shown when we look at other characters (unless someone included this in their description, which is rare), you have no way to use that number in another way than to help you stay on track, so to speak. So my suggestion was to see someone's weight when looking at people, in an imperfect way, similar to the height system we have.
Aha! My mistake. Yes, that's something different.

• Information